Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

parisien
Topic Author

Things To Do In/near LHR?

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Hi there, can someone suggest what one can do for 5 hours in LHR ? Plane spotting of course, but the rest of the time, are there places/towns easily accessible and interesting near Heathrow, with good cafes to relax ? or should one just go into London (what is the best and least expensive way to do so) ?

HS748

RE: Things To Do In/near LHR?

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:39 pm

Least expensive way into central London is on the tube - but it can take 45 minutes to one hour. Heathrow Express does it in 15 minutes but is very expensive. You could just get one of the Heathrow Hopper hotel transfer buses for £3 each way and spend some time at the Heathrow visitor centre (depending on what time you'll be at LHR). The visitor centre is next to the Renaissance Hotel.

[Edited 2006-04-30 10:40:19]

CYatUK

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:42 pm

You can take Heathrow Express which will take you in the heart of London in only 20 minutes. You will arrive at London Paddington Station which is within walking distance from many London attractions.

parisien
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks for the responses ! Isn't there supposed to be a cafe on the top floor of the Renaissance hotel where you can spot AND drink coffee at the same time  Wink ???

What exactly is a Heathrow visitor center ? whats there ?

LeonB1985

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:56 pm

Quoting HS748 (Reply 1):
You could just get one of the Heathrow Hopper hotel transfer buses for £3 each way and spend some time at the Heathrow visitor centre (depending on what time you'll be at LHR). The visitor centre is next to the Renaissance Hotel.

If you decide to do this, don't take a Hotel Hoppa bus. Local buses (e.g. the 140 service) go from Heathrow Central Bus Station to Bath Road, where the Visitors Centre and Renaissance Hotel are, and are free - save yourself the £6.  Smile
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

vv701

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting Parisien (Reply 3):
What exactly is a Heathrow visitor center ? whats there ?

It is a small exhibition telling some of the history of LHR along with a shop and a cafe that overlooks 27R / 09L that is bound to be in use at any time of the day that the centre is open.

CV580Freak

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:18 pm

Try the Wheatsheaf pub in Harlington Villiage  yummy 
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

PenPusher

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Take the tube to South Kensington its on the Picadilly line so no changes required and go the the Science Museum, its free, it excellent !

steve7e7

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Quoting CV580Freak (Reply 6):
Try the Wheatsheaf pub in Harlington Villiage

Or my personal favourite the Green Man, only 5 mins walk from Hatton Cross with metal screaming right overhead if 27L is in use for landings.

The beer aint bad in there either  Smile

parisien
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:39 pm

heu, wow, did not realize the options are numerous...how far is harlington village ? and Hatton cross ? the names sound cute, but are they ?

LeonB1985

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:21 pm

Quoting Parisien (Reply 9):
heu, wow, did not realize the options are numerous...how far is harlington village ? and Hatton cross ? the names sound cute, but are they ?

Hatton Cross is near Terminal 4 and Harlington Village is a bus journey of maybe 5-8 minutes from the Central Bus Station. And no, neither are 'cute' in my opinion!  Wink

CXtra

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting Parisien (Reply 9):

er..well, no. cute isn't the word that comes to mind. if you're looking for a slice of picture postcard britain then you'll be disappointed. these places are suburbia and home to a large ethnic population.

...my advice, chill out with a cup of coffee at the renaissance or if you're up for it, take a quick trip into london - galleries, museums etc.. bear in mind, though, that the tube is prone to delays. don't attempt to go too far and allow enough time to get back to the airport.

enjoy london...
Cathay Pacific, Now you're really flying

LeonB1985

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:39 pm

Quoting CXtra (Reply 11):
and home to a large ethnic population.

Is that a bad thing then, CXtra?

Personally, I don't think I'd venture into central London with only five hours. Delays on the Underground are not uncommon, and I'd not want to be stuck somewhere in London thinking 'I need to get back to LHR!' If it's 5 hours from arrival of one flight to departure of the next, you need to bear in mind the amount of taxying time, getting through immigration, as well as getting through security (LOTS of delays with security at LHR in recent months) and to the gate for your departing flight.

[Edited 2006-04-30 14:43:05]

CXtra

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 12):
Is that a bad thing then, CXtra?

no, no, no, most certainly not. but seriously, if you were visiting a foreign city, would you head directly for outer suburbia if you had 5 hours to get a feel for the place. i think not.

an ethnic population is usually positive, but for visitors going to britain, are they going to want to visit an area that is dominated by non-british infuences? me thinks no.

my post did not imply hostility so please do not make out that it does.

regards,
cxtra
Cathay Pacific, Now you're really flying

babybus

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:56 pm

You could try:

Windsor Castle which is just down the road:
http://www.windsor.gov.uk/attractions/castle.htm

Hampton Court Palace: Bus X26 from LHR central bus station.
http://www.historicroyalpalaces.org/webcode/content.asp?ID=7

Or take the Heathrow Express into central London and shop, visit a museum or just hang out in a bar or cafe.

5 hours in London is not a long time.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

HAWK21M

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:47 pm

Transair Pilot Shop
 bigthumbsup 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

parisien
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2006 12:28 am

yes I have factored in some extra time to the 5 hours....
are the shops open in london on a sunday ? I checked the internets and they seem to vary: What quartier would have the most shop...(the shops i checked are near the tube stations Picadilly circus and Oxford circus).

the tubes are not often late or have problems do they ?

babybus

Mon May 01, 2006 12:35 am

Harrods in Knightsbridge is open on Sunday and that is big enough to use up all your 5 hours!

Virtually all the shops on Oxford Street are open on Sunday. All the big department stores will be open.If you start your trip along Oxford Street from Marble Arch tube station you can always sit in Hyde Park on the way back if you have any free time.

UK transport can be unreliable on a Sunday as this is when they do engineering work.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

RobTrent

Mon May 01, 2006 12:48 am

With only five hours spare I would not risk going too far from the tube to LHR in central London particularly on a sunday. I think your best bet might be to relax in the cafe/bar at the hotel next to the visitor centre and enjoy the view.

R
T7 - You know it makes sense !

standby87

Mon May 01, 2006 2:58 am

2nd vote for Science Museum at South Kensington.

30 mins train, 10 mins walk - still time to look at the old aircraft in there and make it back easy, stop at Hatton Cross for a beer at the Green Man Pub across the A30 road, leave the station on the right hand exit.

Correction: "aperitif" not beer - as it's known in France  Wink
Cheers!

Leezyjet

Mon May 01, 2006 6:13 am

I would strongly suggest that with only 5 hours, you don't go into London. There is just not enough time. It takes about 45 mins to get to anywhere decent on the tube, and you would need to allow double that time to get back, so you would have very little time to see anything.

Also most terminals have a small branch of Harrods anyway, so no point going there.

I would take a bus to Hatton Cross and goto the Green Man as Steve7E7 suggested, or go to the visitors centre and watch a/c.

http://www.thegreenmanbedfont.co.uk/

If you really want to get away from the airport, then Windsor would be the best place to go. IIRC the number 50 bus runs from LHR and takes about 30 mins. It is also close enough to get a cheap taxi back to the airport if you end up running late.

Too may people get sucked into the "got time to kill lets go into London" trap and miss their flights.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

parisien
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2006 6:24 am

Ay what fun, I thought i would have trouble filling in the 5 hours, but I guess in fact I dont have enough time to do all, for an interesting heathrow stopover.
Too bad that Heathrow does not have timed organized city tours like Changi does (at least cannot find it on the internet) nor airport tour like in SYD ?

thanks for your interesting suggestions !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos