Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SBE727
Topic Author

Loads On London - Bangkok

Mon May 01, 2006 5:32 am

Hi There,

Just wondered if anyone can tell me what the loads are generally like on the London - Bangkok route.

Are they generally full all year or just at certain times.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

malaysia

RE: Loads On London - Bangkok

Mon May 01, 2006 8:01 am

Forget BA, they are almost always packed from BKK, your only viable option is Qantas during the low season in BKK-LHR around June-October.

Thai might be alright on some days, but I always had no problem on Qantas during the summer when having to go via the atlantic instead cause of higher season trans-pacific in summer.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

samL

Mon May 01, 2006 9:48 am

is there a reason then that BA don't increase capacity to BKK, one daily 744 continuing to SYD isn't exactly loads compared with SIN, India or even Dharka

6thfreedom

Mon May 01, 2006 10:53 am

Don't forget you can use a number of other carriers to reach Bangkok from London.

here's a very brief snapshot.
Emirates, Etihad, Gulf, Qatar, Austrian, LH, AF, KL, Aeroflot, UL etc etc...

a million and one different combinations possible with connections in Europe, Middle East, or even asia with CX, SQ, MH etc

B747-4U3

Mon May 01, 2006 5:27 pm

Don't forget that BR also have 6 weekly non-stop BKK-LHR flights with their new 777-300ERs.

From what I have heard, they are often packed too.

HB-IWC

Mon May 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting SamL (Reply 2):
is there a reason then that BA don't increase capacity to BKK, one daily 744 continuing to SYD isn't exactly loads compared with SIN, India or even Dharka

The yield is not great on BKK-originating fares. Even premium fares ex BKK are among the lowest in the industry. BA operated 3 extra B772 BKK terminators for a while alongside the traditional daily BA009/010 B744, but as far as I know they gave up the extra flights because of the abysmal yields. Better to invest the scarce available resources (3 LHR slots and 6 B772 cycles) elsewhere in the network with a more optimal impact on the bottom line.

SBE727
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 5:51 am

Thx for all the info there.

Can anyone tell me what the loads are like in Premium Economy / Business. The fares are quite high for the likes of BA, Etihad appears to be cheaper but do wonder how many of the seats are allocated at that price.

Cheers

malaysia

Fri May 12, 2006 5:53 am

We have no idea.... thats not disclosed to the public how many fares are sold for certain seats.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

cedarjet

Fri May 12, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 5):
The yield is not great on BKK-originating fares. Even premium fares ex BKK are among the lowest in the industry.

I would be interested to know your source cos I have heard the opposite, that the North Atlantic is where the yields are low and that BA do very well on premium yield to Bangkok and Singapore. (Although in which case that doesn't explain why it doesn't get more capacity.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Flying Belgian

Fri May 12, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 8):
I would be interested to know your source cos I have heard the opposite, that the North Atlantic is where the yields are low and that BA do very well on premium yield to Bangkok and Singapore. (Although in which case that doesn't explain why it doesn't get more capacity.)

BA's yields on the North Atlantic sector are reknown to be very high in the sector. I don't know about BKK or SIN, but the N.Atlantic is a major cash cow for BA.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...