Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flight7e7

RE: Could Delta Adopt An All-new Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 1:39 am

The current is clean and efficient....however, seeing this thread-I agree that a more stylized widget may have kept the "identity crisis" in check.

However, its contemporary and clean. DL has got to worry about keeping those ships in the air, never mind repainting them-and the cost associated...with that!

Dont Ever Leave The Airport-DELTA...gosh, hope it doesn't come to pass!

Cheers  worried 

Gnomon

Tue May 02, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting PeachAir (Reply 45):
It wouldn't surprise me if the new scheme was a modification of the old widget livery. Since the retirement of Ship 102 (being freshly painted in that scheme) , a lot of people have been talking about bringing it back.

I've heard the same. I also remember, as someone else implied above, Grinstein explicitly telling shareholders during a 2004 meeting that he disliked the Deltaflot scheme but that changing the livery was the last thing on his mind. We saw evidence of that in the revision of the Widget. I'm sure the dislike of the current scheme remains; I'd think exiting BK would be as good a time as ever to make a change. As many have said, changing the livery of aircraft being repainted during heavy mx anyway is not as expensive a proposition as many here apparently believe.

After all, this year the Deltaflot colors are six years old. That's young, for sure, but the Ron Allen scheme survived only four years, and even that was longer-lived than the brand names of some European charter carriers.

SLCUT2777

Tue May 02, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting Gnomon (Reply 51):
It wouldn't surprise me if the new scheme was a modification of the old widget livery. Since the retirement of Ship 102 (being freshly painted in that scheme) , a lot of people have been talking about bringing it back.
I've heard the same. I also remember, as someone else implied above, Grinstein explicitly telling shareholders during a 2004 meeting that he disliked the Deltaflot scheme but that changing the livery was the last thing on his mind. We saw evidence of that in the revision of the Widget. I'm sure the dislike of the current scheme remains; I'd think exiting BK would be as good a time as ever to make a change. As many have said, changing the livery of aircraft being repainted during heavy mx anyway is not as expensive a proposition as many here apparently believe.
After all, this year the Deltaflot colors are six years old. That's young, for sure, but the Ron Allen scheme survived only four years, and even that was longer-lived than the brand names of some European charter carriers.

The "Widget" scheme dates from the early 1960's as depicted in the photo above, and I think it would be much to "retro" to go completely back to it.
As far as changing the livery again, I think it will most likely happen for DL given what they've been through. Many of us thought they would change after the merger with WA back in 1987. UA has changed now four times during my lifetime (I'm 46), typically every 12-15 years, AC is likewise on their 4th livery reincarnation, their third since being privatized from Canada's Federal Government in 1988. AA on the other hand has yet to change since I can remember.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

skymileman

Tue May 02, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
I would like to see Delta come out with a new more colorful livery, with different colors for different aircraft. Here is how it should be:

What a Braniffesque Idea

B6JFKH81

Tue May 02, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 17):
Now, I can see Jet Blue doing something like this in the future,

Oh no...no no no no no. We aren't even putting new tail designs on anymore. We are recycling the ones we have.
 no 

Now, IMO for the Delta question, I don't see a need to change again that drastically. I am not thrilled with the current c/s because the widget is quite small and that is their symbol...but the tails are okay.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

UAL#1fan

Tue May 02, 2006 5:16 am

To Delta Management: GO BACK TO THE '60s LIVERY!!!!!!

It will increase my respect for Delta a whole lot. The '60s livery with the Delta widget on the tail was a timeless scheme. It never looked dated and it was a powerful marketing statement. It certainly doesn't look more dated than American's scheme, and they've been using that since 1968!

The widget looks much better on the tail than the Russian flag. I say Delta should completely rehash the '60s livery on their planes.
United Air Lines -Mainliners Coast to Coast

sllevin

Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):
Here is a very good question and it hits it on the nail: WITH WHAT MONEY?!?!?!

Airframes are always being repainted as they go throuh heavy MX. DL's current transition through the various liveries has been precisely because of only repainting in the heavy checks, so it takes a while, but doesn't increase costs.

Steve

frugalqxnwa

Tue May 02, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 46):
Actually, that livery initially rolled out in the 1960s

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 52):
The "Widget" scheme dates from the early 1960's as depicted in the photo above,

Careful, we might get Leahy started on 1960's designs again.  Big grin

Seriously, the paint on the planes should be the last thing DL is concerned about right now. When they are guarunteed to come out of CH11, then they can think about rebranding a "new Delta."

P.S., I really don't see a DL/NW merger. The fleets are way too different, and neither airline is doing well financially.

Alitalia744

Tue May 02, 2006 5:38 am

taking today's cleanliness of livery and adding a more prominent widget (getting rid of delta flot)...just an idea
Big version: Width: 1290 Height: 375 File size: 46kb
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

nworlnsbearcub

Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 am

WIII-DGEETTT!!! WIIII-DGEETTTT!!! wiiidgeettttt...(I miss the old days)

Any brainiacs here want to have a go at making a retro-future paint shop pro kinda project ??

I think it's never wise to spend money you don't have, and in SOME ways I appreciate the current livery... although it is also somewhat ...I dunno... 'generic' , I still think when they get stable, a slow and steady rebirth - visually - would be a great idea.... Something VERY professional.

Michael
Austin, TX
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

dangould2000

Tue May 02, 2006 5:56 am

Multi-Coloured Aircraft, The last thing you want is everyone thinking that Delta have renamed to Braniff International.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 31):
Quote:
767-400ER-Pink

Are you nuts? Do you know how weak that would make a 764 look? It would also make the plane look Gay. I dont have a problem with the Wavy Gravy scheme but I still prefer the "old old" scheme.

I think that a pink 767 would look fabulous,

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 3):
I'm not sure it is the greatest idea for Delta at this time start painting 767's pink.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 2):
I like the different colors on planes idea but this is how I see it with more of the planes representing the Delta colors, but not pink

is there something wrong with pink?

If i was to own an airline, pink would be the basic colour used on my fleet liveries like the one in this link

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 45kb
Next Flights:- wherever the airline sends me

deltagator

Tue May 02, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 58):
taking today's cleanliness of livery and adding a more prominent widget (getting rid of delta flot)...just an idea

Excellent! IIRC the flag on the tail is a decal that could be removed and the new one put on or painted.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Ward86IND

Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 am

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 737 File size: 265kb

Their best livery IMO. Don't know why they ever got a new one, I think this one looks really classy. They at least need a logo or something on the tail, don't think the waving flag thing is too hot.
Live your dream.

BOS2LAF

Tue May 02, 2006 6:08 am

Wow! I really like that. The way the widget extends down onto the fuselage looks really nice.

Something along those lines is what I always envisioned as a new livery for delta. Reincorporate the widget while keeping the current corporate font.

Nicely done.  bigthumbsup 

Delta787

Tue May 02, 2006 6:19 am

I really like that livery. It has both the classic widget and a modern feel to it.
Fly Delta!

Elagabal

Tue May 02, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 8):
From an aesthetic point of view, they should just go back to the Widget one. All of them since have been horrible.

Yes. And the ghastly all-blue with a token red "zip" design... Now THAT'S a 60s throwback. Abstract expressionism meets marketing: shibboleth.

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 22):
Why waste money on seven/eight different types of paint? It costs enough already just to fly the plane.

Very good question. Their brand identity needs a helluva lot more than another drag scheme. I think if DL actually has all of its planes in the same livery, ever again, everybody should give the CEO a nickel.

Quoting Delta4eva (Reply 36):
The "Deltaflot" flag also resembles a Russian flag, with the Red, Blue and light blue(which could be mistaken w/ a grayish/white).

Well, an upside-down Russian flag. It actually looks a hell of a lot like the flag of Serbia (not Serbia and Montenegro the nation, just the Serbia part). Odd.

gunsontheroof

Tue May 02, 2006 7:08 am

You started a thread like this with the exact same suggestions not that long ago. Delta's livery is great, they've got a lot more important things to worry about than Braniffizing their fleet right now.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Delta767300ER

Tue May 02, 2006 7:51 am

Quote:
I think that a pink 767 would look fabulous

Any pink aircraft would look like shit. I dont even like the pink Song plane. It looks weak and Gay.

-Delta767300ER

FL370

Tue May 02, 2006 7:54 am

umm i think the last thing Delta needs right now is a new paint scheme. the've had more than 2 paint liveries in the past decade or so. i mean if they could try to keep one livery for atleast 10years, than change!!!

steeler83

Tue May 02, 2006 8:13 am

Quoting FL370 (Reply 68):
umm i think the last thing Delta needs right now is a new paint scheme. the've had more than 2 paint liveries in the past decade or so. i mean if they could try to keep one livery for atleast 10years, than change!!!

DL has much bigger fish to fry here rather than a livery change. Ummmm let's see, their JFK/SLC are in dire need of upgrades, which would coincide nicely with their ATL upgrades. How does the terminal at CVG look? Is that in any decent shape? I know that in another thread there was discussion about DL selling comair to make some extra cash...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

B777LR

Tue May 02, 2006 8:59 am

I really believe that Delta's current paint scheme is acceptable. The last thing Delta needs is added expenses of painting its airplanes. Furthermore seven different paint schemes is just added cost. They need no focus and keep costs down wherever possible. If they do, keep it simple and the same across the board. I personally like the paint scheme. It still has a new feel and doesn't seem outdated.

SLCUT2777

Tue May 02, 2006 9:45 am

I would like to see Delta come out with a new more colorful livery, with different colors for different aircraft. Here is how it should be:

MD-88 - Blue
MD-90 - Teal
737-800 - Yellow
757-200 - Orange
767-300 - Green
767-400ER - Pink
777-200ER - Red

Any thoughts on this?

vomit   ill  Enough Said!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

flywithjohn

Tue May 02, 2006 11:01 am

Why waste paint they are already in trouble the last they need is to waste money on a new paint job...
Always Blue Sky's.....

comairguycvg

Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 46):

Actually, that livery initially rolled out in the 1960s.

I meant the 80's paint scheme with the black nose and just Delta on the fuselage. Gotta have the black nose on there.  Smile
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

aviatortj

Tue May 02, 2006 5:08 pm

Before seeing the above rendition, I had drawn this up in photoshop. It's a simple update to the colors on the tail. DL could take a page out of AC's book and start slapping on some new tails:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Idle

I'd also like to add that the Ron Allen livery looks fantastic on most airplanes. With some slight mods to the titles and logos, it could be made very current.

[Edited 2006-05-02 10:11:35]

aviatortj

Tue May 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 543 File size: 69kb

Eirjet

Tue May 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Another Livery??? How much would that cost?? I can think of better ways to spend the cash....

Delta and the multiple livery scheme's its had in as many years, is to me, an example of a brand manager got nuts??

Painting a plane a different colour on the outside isn't going to erase the problems of the past if the rest of the airline is not fine tuned.......

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

DAL767400ER

Tue May 02, 2006 6:12 pm

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 76):
Another Livery??? How much would that cost??

Well, considering that planes have to be repainted after around 6 years anyway, nothing more than repainting it in the current livery would.

Eirjet

Tue May 02, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 77):

HI DAL767400ER,

You have a point, didn't think of that? I am sure that a redesign of a livery isn't cheap either.

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

steeler83

Wed May 03, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 74):
Before seeing the above rendition, I had drawn this up in photoshop. It's a simple update to the colors on the tail. DL could take a page out of AC's book and start slapping on some new tails:

I like it. It is somewhat a remake of the older tailfin logo from decades ago, but a little more modern, and CERTAINLY withould that blackish stripe and nose!!!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

litz

Wed May 03, 2006 4:03 am

MD-88 - Blue
MD-90 - Teal
737-800 - Yellow
757-200 - Orange
767-300 - Green
767-400ER - Pink
777-200ER - Red

Some how I don't think this was what they had in mind when they folded Song into mainline ... (Song, if you didn't know, was originally supposed to have different colored ... err ... splotches ... on the planes)

I like that idea .. one question though - do you think it would look better with all white nacelles w/the Widget on the side?

(was that tail clipped off a recent Spirit photo? It kinda looks like the side of Spirit after the repaint where the "DELTA" is too high on the tail's widget)

- litz

aviatortj

Wed May 03, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 80):
(was that tail clipped off a recent Spirit photo? It kinda looks like the side of Spirit after the repaint where the "DELTA" is too high on the tail's widget)

Nope, it was originally worn on 108. Thanks for the comments. I do not know what i think about either of them yet. I think the engines from the Ron Allen livery with a small widget would look cool. Maybe I'll spend some time in PS tonight.

aviatortj

Wed May 03, 2006 5:54 am

Matched engines and Times font on the tail. In my opinion, there's too much paint on the engines and not enough on the plane. It's nice to think about at least. They could always decal the tail...
Big version: Width: 648 Height: 440 File size: 59kb

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 75):

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 82):
Matched engines and Times font on the tail. In my opinion, there's too much paint on the engines and not enough on the plane. It's nice to think about at least. They could always decal the tail...

I think both of these look fantastic, far more identifiable as Delta than the current livery.

If you took AviatorTJ's nacelle design and combined it with Alitalia744's tail design, I think we have it! That huge widget is cool.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

aviatortj

Wed May 03, 2006 6:17 am

Updated widget with 1997 style engines (My Favorite):

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 83):
If you took AviatorTJ's nacelle design and combined it with Alitalia744's tail design, I think we have it! That huge widget is cool.

[Edited 2006-05-02 23:19:58]

DLX737200

Sat May 06, 2006 4:27 am

AviatorTJ, thanks for asking for permission first before you went and started changing my photo. A simple email would've been appreciated.  Yeah sure

AirframeAS

Sat May 06, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 56):
Airframes are always being repainted as they go throuh heavy MX.

Not when I was working at AS. We didnt repaint any of the 732's or 734's that went into a heavy MX in SEA. Thats because we didnt have a paintshop big enough to do the job.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

DL_Mech

Sat May 06, 2006 12:02 pm

DL doesn't paint their AC out of heavy MX. They are painted on a specific schedule.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

sspontak

Sat May 06, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 84):

Go with this first one Delta. Bring back the regular widget on the tail.

Thanks.

steeler83

Sat May 06, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Sspontak (Reply 88):
Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 84):

Go with this first one Delta. Bring back the regular widget on the tail.

Thanks.

Yeah I like that original widget design there. The second pick from that reply though, post #4, I think that red part of the widget going that far down onto the fuselage looks rather tacky IMHO though...

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat May 06, 2006 12:37 pm

It's a simple update to the colors on the tail. DL could take a page out of AC's book and start slapping on some new tails:

This is not bad and really not a whole scale livery change, just a modification. Aviator, can you modify your design to have the front Delta title and widget tilted (stylized) like the tail (like the 70's, 80's, 90's titles). Also, have DELTA in caps like the original. Could you make those changes and post a picture of it? Thanks.

BR715-A1-30

Sat May 06, 2006 12:41 pm

Any thoughts on this?

Braniff did this, and look what happened to them?

Seriously though, Some of those liveries look awesome. makes you wonder why airlines don't come to us and ask for livery suggestions..
Puhdiddle

SBN580

Sun May 07, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting ComairGuyCVG (Reply 27):
They should have never got rid of the 80's widget paint scheme. Why change something that was perfect??

You got that right!

Quoting Delta4eva (Reply 40):
no one ever says Delta Air Lines, they just say Delta.

Well, I do. Well, I may not say it a lot. However, I do like that name. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but Delta maybe that last to have the "Air Lines," moniker. That is instead of "Airlines." I like the throwback nature and it makes Delta stand out.

Word in ATL is that is a forgone conclusion that a livery change is immanent, and more likely to occur in 2007/2008 after BK emergence

This is an exciting speculation. Job one though, finish saving Delta period.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 67):
Any pink aircraft would look like shit. I don't even like the pink Song plane. It looks weak and Gay.

Well, I cannot stand pink, unless it is in connection to a woman. And though it may not look good on an aircraft, Song (Delta's) heart was in the right place. Any recognition of the support for breast cancer research should be applauded.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 69):
How does the terminal at CVG look?

It's great!

I enjoyed some of the fantasy designs on this thread. The Roman font with "D-e-l-t-a," must go! DELTA! In a more creative, yet legible font please! Also, mixing the straight up widget with the straked back widget is a bit confusing. Let's see some more heritage touches like "Gold Crown 777." Or "Royal ___________ Service." That'd be nice. If you like the Deltaflot, I still say put the straked widget back near the forward end and then let the flag of the tail begin thin and flow down as a cheatline to the full furled tail.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

skymileman

Thu May 18, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting Ward86IND (Reply 62):

Their best livery IMO. Don't know why they ever got a new one, I think this one looks really classy. They at least need a logo or something on the tail, don't think the waving flag thing is too hot.

why did they ever get rid of that livery? It seems very poor economics to repaint so soon.

litz

Thu May 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Just out of curiosity - how difficult is it to repaint JUST a tail, versus an entire plane?

Ie: if you wanted to restore the Widget to the tails of the existing deltaflot livery by repaining the tail white and adding the widget.

You could re-do the tail and engines (white + widget logo) and totally change the look of the planes, without repainting the whole thing ...

As I understand airplane painting, doesn't the rudder have to be done specially, due to balance issues?

- litz

avconsultant

Fri May 19, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 38):
Mullin wold have tried in vain to stay in DFW and shuttered SLC being the idiot he was!!

He was to busy being a thief

Quoting 777klm (Reply 42):
What does the current flag (on the tail) means?

Distress

Wordrnin ATL is that is a forgone conclusion that a livery change isrnimmanent, and more likely to occur in 2007/2008 after BKrnemergence

Cash needs to be funnelled appropriately.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 47):
Irnthink they'll let it go a little while beyond and see who they get arnmerger deal with. With the way NW is splitting off their domesticrnroutes that are best served by their proposed new regional, myrnconspiracy theory instincts tell me they and DL will merge with DLrnlikely to clear chapter 11 some months sooner. Hence my suspicion theyrnwill have a livery that is a combo of the current "Delta-Flot" and NWrnsilver metallic paint job.

Very interestings

Big version: Width: 1290 Height: 375 File size: 46kb

The "DELTA" should be billboard lettering.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 69):
Howrndoes the terminal at CVG look? Is that in any decent shape? I know thatrnin another thread there was discussion about DL selling comair to makernsome extra cash...

I think Concourse B in CVG is the nicest DL terminal except for BOS.

Quoting ComairGuyCVG (Reply 27):
Why change something that was perfect??

The cheatline scheme is very old school; some have argued it reinfocres DL lack of change in the past. DL can save that scheme for a retro livery down the road. Besides you do not want to have your current scheme with the same looks of something in your museum.

jetdeltamsy

Fri May 19, 2006 5:24 am

We'll probably go through 5 of 6 new liveries after we emerge from bankruptcy.

Lord knows we've got through about a dozen pre-bankruptcy, why change anything now?
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Alitalia744

Fri May 19, 2006 12:48 pm

here's some billboard variations I've been playing with... I like them, but also like the design without billboards. it's simple, cost efficient and is a symbol of Delta Air Lines.

Big version: Width: 1290 Height: 375 File size: 47kb

Big version: Width: 1290 Height: 375 File size: 48kb

If anyone from Delta Air Lines is watching, I'd love a job in the marketing department.

[Edited 2006-05-19 05:58:00]
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

litz

Fri May 19, 2006 1:24 pm

I think I still like design #1 (the non-billboard) the best ... my problem with billboards is you have all those windows ... makes the side of the airplane look like a paper tape w/the holes for the cog.

(and all the young 'uns here just went ... wha?)

The tail on design #4 is very, very striking, but I think I still like the traditional widget.

I would, however, replace the nacelles w/straight white w/the Widget on the side, like the old widget livery had - see recent pics of Spirit for details.

Maybe take a cue from airtran and put the widget over "delta.com" on the nacelles ...

- litz

DALOCCDtyDrctr

Fri May 19, 2006 2:18 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

Nothing will ever be as good as this
N102DA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos