Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

duke
Topic Author

Iminent Loss For The Cosford Aerospace Museum

Tue May 02, 2006 3:41 am

I have just gotten news from www.vc10.net that the fabulous collection of preserved aircraft at the Cosford Aerospace Museum is going to be depleted by several unique historic aircraft. Currently it has the following fine BOAC/BA airliners outside:

a Britannia:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mick Bajcar

a Comet 1:
View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

a 707-436:
View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

a Trident 1:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar

a VC-10:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralph M. Pettersen

a BAC 1-11:
View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

Unfortunately, the collection is about to be affected as follows. From a press release or similar info:

A collection of former British Airways aircraft is to be moved from the RAF Museum in Cosford to new homes.

The five historic aircraft, known officially as The BA Collection, have been resident at the RAF Museum for the past few decades.

Following a review of the aircraft's future by the RAF Museum and British Airways it was decided that they had to be found new homes.

The five aircraft will be moving to:

Vickers Viscount 701 - The aircraft will be dismantled and reconstructed in full at The Museum of Flight, East Fortune - part of The National Museums of Scotland.

BAC 1-11 - The aircraft will be dismantled and reconstructed in full at The Museum of Flight, East Fortune.

Boeing 707-436 - The front fuselage (forward of the wings) will be transported to The Museum of Flight, East Fortune.

Vickers VC10 - It is intended that the front fuselage (forward of the wings) and some parts of technical interest will be moved to Brooklands Museum in Surrey.

Hawker Siddeley Trident - The cockpit and nose section will be transported to The Museum of Flight, East Fortune.

Geoff Want, British Airways' director of ground operations, said: "I am pleased that we have been able to find good homes for these aircraft.

"We have developed strong links with both museums following the move of Concorde Alpha Alpha from Heathrow to Scotland and the move of Concorde Delta Golf from Filton to Brooklands.

"We are sure that both museums will give the same levels of care to these historic aircraft as they have shown to our Concordes.

"These aircraft are an important part of the UK's aviation heritage and will hopefully add extra interest to both museums' current aircraft displays.

"I would like to thank the RAF Museum for all their support and for all the care they have given to these aircraft over the past few decades.

"In the coming months we will co-ordinate the deconstruction and reconstruction of these aircraft with all the museums to ensure that the new displays will be of the highest possible quality."

The aircraft will be disassembled and re-assembled at their new homes by Air Salvage International.

The company worked closely with British Airways and the two museums during 2004 when it deconstructed and reconstructed Concorde Alpha Alpha and Concorde Delta Golf.
To add to the above, the Britannia is to stay outside at the museum and the Comet is to be hangared there. BUT the wonderful 707 (one of only 3 preserved Conway-powered 707s in the world, the two others being more like airport decorations in Germany) and the VC-10 are to be reduced to COCKPITS (how many historic aircraft have been "preserved" that way, from the first CV880 to the first L1011)? This is HORRIBLE!!!

a380heavy

RE: Iminent Loss For The Cosford Aerospace Museum

Tue May 02, 2006 4:03 am

Thank you Geoff Want allowing these fine examples of aircraft from yesteryear to be butchered.

Quoting Duke (Thread starter):
Boeing 707-436 - The front fuselage (forward of the wings) will be transported to The Museum of Flight, East Fortune.

Vickers VC10 - It is intended that the front fuselage (forward of the wings) and some parts of technical interest will be moved to Brooklands Museum in Surrey.

Hawker Siddeley Trident - The cockpit and nose section will be transported to The Museum of Flight, East Fortune.

These aircraft ought to be kept in one piece - I don't know about others but I hate to see just nose sections of these once majestic modes or transport.

The VC-10 represents a golden era in British aviation and people are prepared to allow 2/3rds of these rare airframes to be converted into Coke cans - it makes my blood boil!

A380Heavy  Angry
Flown in:732,733,734,738,742,752,763,772,F27,DC9,MD-11,A300,A319,A320,A321,A332,ATR72,DHC-6,Bell206,C172,Auster,PA-28,DH-89A

kc135topboom

Tue May 02, 2006 4:19 am

BUT the wonderful 707 (one of only 3 preserved Conway-powered 707s in the world, the two others being more like airport decorations in Germany) and the VC-10 are to be reduced to COCKPITS (how many historic aircraft have been "preserved" that way, from the first CV880 to the first L1011)? This is HORRIBLE!!!

Quoting A380Heavy (Reply 1):
These aircraft ought to be kept in one piece - I don't know about others but I hate to see just nose sections of these once majestic modes or transport.

The VC-10 represents a golden era in British aviation and people are prepared to allow 2/3rds of these rare airframes to be converted into Coke cans - it makes my blood boil!

I couldn't agree more. The VC-10 and B-707-400 need to be keept as whole airplanes.

Poitin

Tue May 02, 2006 4:31 am

To add to the above, the Britannia is to stay outside at the museum and the Comet is to be hangared there. BUT the wonderful 707 (one of only 3 preserved Conway-powered 707s in the world, the two others being more like airport decorations in Germany) and the VC-10 are to be reduced to COCKPITS (how many historic aircraft have been "preserved" that way, from the first CV880 to the first L1011)? This is HORRIBLE!!!

Disgusting. As bad as mounting the heads of animals on the wall.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

HS748

Tue May 02, 2006 4:34 am

I have just gotten news

A search would have revealed that this subject was discussed in detail some time ago.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2709108

RichardPrice

Tue May 02, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting A380Heavy (Reply 1):

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 2):
I couldn't agree more. The VC-10 and B-707-400 need to be keept as whole airplanes.

Quoting Poitin (Reply 3):
Disgusting. As bad as mounting the heads of animals on the wall.

Is anyone here willing to pay to conserve these aircraft? Because its a lot more costly than parking them up somewhere and keeping them whole.

BA owns these aircraft and if they feel they can get better bang for their buck elsewhere, then thats their perogative since they are the ones paying for them. BA is after all a profit seeking company, and while its nice to retain a bit of history, Im betting it doesnt make much money.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos