Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

firiko
Topic Author

Travel Agencies Declare War On TK

Thu May 04, 2006 9:40 am

Source Sabah NewsPaper:

Agencies declared war on online ticket sales.Online ticket sales of private air-lines and THY's (Turkish Airlines) 3 YTL (about 1.5 us dollars each way) discount in online sales infuriated the ticket agencies. Travel agencies declared a war for online sale campaigns. After private airlines selling online tickets for 9.19 YTL, Turkish AirLines (THY) started a campaign in its online sales to make their web site more functional. This infuriated the ticket agencies. Stating that "THY wants to ruin us", ticket agencies are going to meet and evaluate the situation. Head of IATA ticket agencies association in Turkey Mrs Selma Yilmaz says nobody should underestimate them. She also adds that they will stop selling Turkish Airlines tickets and stop promoting the new routes (24 new routes in one year) if tTk doesn't stop offering discounts to passangers who choose to purchase tickets online.

I personelly think she has no idea what is going on in the world. Wake up and smell the coffee miss! TK has to follow competitors if they want to stay profitiable and major players in the industry have been giving discounted online fares for years and years now.

n272wa

RE: Travel Agencies Declare War On TK

Thu May 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Something I notice is that TK have a twice weekly Istanbul-Dublin service which commenced a number of weeks ago. But Dublin is not featuring on their online booking engine. This seems stupid. As a result, I can only assume that loads are dire. Can anybody shed light on why this might be the case?
Thanks,
Mike

cedarjet

Thu May 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Oh for god's sake. These people think it's still the 1970s. No-one owes them a living. It's the travel agents who need to modernise, not THY go back in time. Who the hell uses travel agents anyway? I haven't used one since the mid 90s, unless Expedia counts. I can't think of anything worse than getting a travel agent to book a flight. What a waste of time. And I used to be one.

Idiots.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

pilotaydin

Thu May 04, 2006 5:42 pm

turkish media and people tend to exagerate things. Turkish airlines doesn't need outsourced travel agents, it's actually the LCCs in turkey that need them. We have our own travel agents for the company, and you can book a flight at 444 0 THY and pay for the ticket at check in...

Sounds to me that ticket agencies are a lil sore from people spending money to modernize, we have come a long way at TK in a short time good for us!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

HS748

Thu May 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 2):
Oh for god's sake. These people think it's still the 1970s. No-one owes them a living. It's the travel agents who need to modernise, not THY go back in time. Who the hell uses travel agents anyway? I haven't used one since the mid 90s, unless Expedia counts. I can't think of anything worse than getting a travel agent to book a flight. What a waste of time. And I used to be one.

Completely agree. Travel agencies are increasingly becoming an irrelevance. Only yesterday, Thomson announced it would no longer sell its holidays through independent travel agents. Travel agents just have to accept that they provide a service that has been largely overtaken by technology. If we all used travel agent logic we'd still be going to red telphone boxes to make calls!

DTWAGENT

Thu May 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Well all I can say is. Here in America we travel agents have learned to work around the online sales. In fact 90% of the time I can beat their priceing and that is with my service fee. If airlines would start giving agencies a commission. We would be more loyal to them. Right now we have no loyalty to any airline because they all refuse to pay commissions. If they did start paying commissions then we could/would drop our service fees.

Something these big airlines need to understand. People will use the internet only for so long and when they get screwed over by them, they will return to their travel agent. I have see this happen day in and day out. And any airline that is offering a cheep airfare like $8.00 or $9.00 one way is not doing to well in the marketing department. And we as travel agents tend to stay away from these types of sales. We have been burned by them one to many times. So don't say we don't understand the travel business with the airlines. We do. And if they would change their way of doing business with travel agents they would see their sales and profits would increase after all we where supplying 95% of all their sales. I don't think a 10% commission is to much to ask for selling and directing passangers to their airlines.

Thank you
C Pratt
Travel Agent

firiko
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 5):
I don't think a 10% commission is to much to ask for selling and directing passangers to their airlines.

I think Tk already pays 8% commission on international routes

SA7700

Thu May 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Firiko (Reply 6):
I think Tk already pays 8% commission on international routes

In South Africa that would be illegal under the Competitions Act and exactly why SA had to pay millions of Rands in fines.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

HS748

Thu May 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Well all I can say is. Here in America we travel agents have learned to work around the online sales. In fact 90% of the time I can beat their priceing and that is with my service fee. If airlines would start giving agencies a commission. We would be more loyal to them. Right now we have no loyalty to any airline because they all refuse to pay commissions. If they did start paying commissions then we could/would drop our service fees.

Why should they pay you a commission for doing something the customers can do themselves in a couple of minutes? Why should I as a customer make a special journey to a travel agent when I can get the same deal, or often better, by staying at home and doing it myself. As I said earlier, in the 21st century travel agencies are an irrelevance.

SA7700

Fri May 05, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 8):
As I said earlier, in the 21st century travel agencies are an irrelevance.

I am sorry, but I disagree with you. Many people do not have the privilege of access to the internet. Can you book a very intricate itinerary, involving a few airlines with many sectors, e.g. a RTW ticket, on one PNR all by yourself? Most airline-and travel websites only have a limited amount of sectors that you can book. Thereafter, you either have to call the airline (and speak to an agent anyway) or visit a travel agent.

The fact that a company, like Flight Centre, has branches popping up all over the world; whilst making a hell of a lot of money; is an indication to me that travel agents are not irrelevant in the 21st century. The fact that you are comfortable to make your own bookings and travel arrangements is fine by me - kudos to you. However, many people still prefer to have a face-to-face conversation with an agent that they can deal with.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

HS748

Fri May 05, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 9):
The fact that a company, like Flight Centre, has branches popping up all over the world; whilst making a hell of a lot of money; is an indication to me that travel agents are not irrelevant in the 21st century. The fact that you are comfortable to make your own bookings and travel arrangements is fine by me - kudos to you. However, many people still prefer to have a face-to-face conversation with an agent that they can deal with.

Fair enough!

USPIT10L

Fri May 05, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 8):
As I said earlier, in the 21st century travel agencies are an irrelevance.

Quite frankly, not only do I disagree with you--I think you need to try to book a vacation WITHOUT an agent just to see how hard it really is. The internet does not have deals going every day--when something's sold out that's it. A travel agent not only knows how to book, but also where to book. If I was planning a big vacation, that's the first place I'd go, just to see what to do, how to do it. Travel agents aren't just useful for booking flights, you know. Where else could I find out exactly where to go in Hawaii and what to do, face-to-face! Please be careful what you say before posting! I went to travel school myself, and while I'd rather not be an agent myself, I still respect what they do.

Turkish agents have to have CRS' and other modern conveniences by now, right? If not, it's mere threats. I can't imagine working in a travel agency with a computer system or internet access, at least. That's like working a res office without a phone or a fireman without a hose.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

HS748

Fri May 05, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 11):
Quite frankly, not only do I disagree with you--I think you need to try to book a vacation WITHOUT an agent just to see how hard it really is.

I travel frequently for both business and personal reasons. For at least the last three years I've done all my own bookings online. There will never be a situation when I won't be able to organise all my own travel online. I've even managed to book a RTW trip myself online - it took some time but that was part of the fun!

USPIT10L

Fri May 05, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 12):
I travel frequently for both business and personal reasons. For at least the last three years I've done all my own bookings online. There will never be a situation when I won't be able to organise all my own travel online. I've even managed to book a RTW trip myself online - it took some time but that was part of the fun!

Good for you! I was talking about people who aren't in the travel or airline business trying to do it themselves. People who are familiar with airlines/travel can do it fairly easily, but for those who don't know how--and believe me they still exist in the USA--a travel agent can be a real lifesaver.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

AeroWesty

Fri May 05, 2006 5:19 am

I've even managed to book a RTW trip myself online - it took some time but that was part of the fun!

If you've been able to book anything other than a series of one-way flights around the world using one of the various booking engines, then the folks over at flyertalk.com will want to hear from you. As far as I know, the SkyTeam, oneworld, and Star Alliance RTW tickets, and those similar to them, aren't directly bookable online.
International Homo of Mystery

sllevin

Fri May 05, 2006 7:12 am

I've even managed to book a RTW trip myself online - it took some time but that was part of the fun!

While it's possible to book journeys that go RTW online, it's not currently possible to book an RTW fare online. RTW tickets in the truest sense are typically more complex and have more legs associated to them than, say, just LAX-LHR-BKK-LAX, which *is* bookable online.

Try, for example

SFO-SIN
SIN-KUL
KUL-SYD
SYD-FRA
AMS-LON
LON-ATL
ATL-SFO

While that's a simple and very easy RTW fare, trying to book THAT as a multi-segment journey will end up pricing very very expensively.

Steve

JFK998

Fri May 05, 2006 7:18 am

Who the hell uses travel agents anyway?

If you are visiting certain areas of the world, it is a known fact that travel agents will provide a better deal than any online site or direct purchase from any airline. For example: Pakistan (definately), India (most people use travel agents for that), certain parts of the Far East (I used a travel agent when I went to Singapore, saved over $900 from any online site as well as any of the airlines.) So travel agents still hold some importance in the world...

Have A Nice Day  Silly

jmbweeboy

Fri May 05, 2006 9:12 am

Our beloved U.S. airlines tried the same thing a few years back!

Excepting Jet Blue, all web fare content is now stored and available to travel agents in Sabre, Worldspan, Galileo, and Amadeus.

The U.S. airlines learned their lesson, THY will learn theirs in time

JMBWEEBOY

LAXintl

Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am

THY's actions are in line with the rest of the industry particularly in the US and Europe trying to reduce distribution cost.

By making online purchases slightly cheaper, THY hopes to influence and encourage the consumer into using the web. Absolutely justified, and good business sense.

The agents should be happy THY still pays generous commission and has not yet decided to slash that in half, which I am sure will rightfully will happen one day.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

dfwmzuri

Fri May 05, 2006 10:28 am

we travel agents have learned to work around the online sales

Do you work for a Travel Agency or consolidator / bucket shop? Usually the airline's website beats any other "published" fare. But I have found some consolidators to have certain routes and fares that are cheaper.

Fly-K

Fri May 05, 2006 4:02 pm

I have no pity for them, they better get used to it. Even in countries like Greece, Jordan, Egypt, UAE, airlines are cutting base commissions, so it will only be a matter of time until Turkey follows. So they should be thankful that TK is not yet pushing for commissions cuts.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

HS748

Fri May 05, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 15):
While it's possible to book journeys that go RTW online, it's not currently possible to book an RTW fare online. RTW tickets in the truest sense are typically more complex and have more legs associated to them

Now that's a typical travel agent response. You can do it yourself, but not as 'properly' as we could and you can't call it a round the world fare!

NumberTwelve

Fri May 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Oh for god's sake. These people think it's still the 1970s.

Sorry to be bold, but who still cares about travel agencies. I was travel agent myself for about 20 years and always "lived" for different transportation systems (flights, train rides, bus trips, ships, ...). Unfortunatelly today heaps of travel agents don't know what a 747 is and if they are standing in front of a DC 3 and you tell them, that plane would be QF flight #6 from FRA to SYD, they would believe it.

If travel agents would be more competent (good for their customers) and would be more reliable for airlines/tour operators, travel agencies would have a future.

When airlines and railway companies rise prices, travel agents complain: less people will travel - when airlines reduce fairs, travel agencies complain: we don't get enough commission!

In Germany when 0 commission started (with LH), they started to charge service fees of 45 up to 60 Euro per ticket . They didn't even care if some airlines still pay commission.

Fly-K: "So they should be thankful that TK is not yet pushing for commissions cuts."

Very true! Also I don't wonder when the rest of the airlines cut the commission, when agencies demand service fees.
EI offers flights via travel agents, but these flights are much more expensive than EI online offers. Travel agency distribution is too expensive, not reliable, so why should the airlines support that?

Travel agency - no, thanks.
Consolidators - ok, as long as I get cheap tickets.

I remember Deutsche Bahn offering train tickets via Penny and Mc Donalds which was a big success - German DRV (travel agency mafia) complained and complained. So what?

[Edited 2006-05-05 14:48:19]
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

NumberTwelve

Fri May 05, 2006 10:05 pm

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 3):
Turkish airlines doesn't need outsourced travel agents

I as a customer would prefer to check prices online or via consolidator first who is independent.

And Aydin, exactly this is what travel acencies have to understand: they are not the centre of the world - there are heaps of distribution channels, also airlines are happy to sell themselves, because they never know what travel agents are selling. Too many risks for TK that agents sell LH, BA, AF or one of the other competitors.

[Edited 2006-05-05 15:06:33]
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos