Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

newagebird
Topic Author

Pilot Workload

Fri May 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Hey
This is to all pilots who fly regional, international or interstate. Now that aircraft have become so much easier to fly and instruments have gone from the normal circular dial instruments to EFIS, what exactly do pilots do while cruising. Obviously its a different story when climbing to ur FL or handling the approach to the aerodrome. Has the workload gotten lighter or are you guys doing the same tasks as before. Do you calculate inflight PNR, CP/DP? Just wanna know a few examples. thanks

an aspiring pilot
rgds newagebird

KAUSpilot

RE: Pilot Workload

Fri May 05, 2006 2:21 pm

We monitor aircraft instruments and systems readouts. If we get bored with that we study aircraft manuals and reinforce the memorization of relevant limitations.

Honestly EFIS vs. Round dials doesn't make a huge difference in the workload. It's mainly FMS navigation that makes the cruise flight workload pretty light. Navigating using ground based radio aids requires more attention. Using automation can actually increase the workload in initial departure and arrival phases of flight.

SonOfACaptain

Fri May 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 1):
If we get bored with that we study aircraft manuals and reinforce the memorization of relevant limitations.

Or read a book, do a cross-word puzzle, take a nap...  wink 

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

KAUSpilot

Fri May 05, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 2):
Or read a book, do a cross-word puzzle, take a nap...

What? That would be extraordinarily unprofessional. I wouldn't be earning my $18,000/yr if I did that.

[email protected]

Fri May 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Old-style round dial type cockpits require constant vigilance to enroute charts or more detailed routes due to the lack of the ability to go direct to a point thousands of miles away. Modern cockpits that allow pilots to use FMS or GPS navigation do not require quite as much attention to maps and airways. However, charts are always out and available no matter what type of navigation being used.

Typical activities during cruise in a modern aircraft include conversation on professional matters, ensuring flight manual currency, confirming the integrity of ADF antennas by testing them with local AM radio stations, ridding the cockpit of printed media that was collected from the overnight hotel, satisfying nutritional needs in the form of crew meals and/or stimulating beverages, maintaining cranial vigilance with mental exercises involving the use of numerical or alphabetical puzzles, or devising methods to keep the direct sunlight from causing eye fatigue.

Honestly, the workload at cruise is almost nil. Staying alert is sometimes a challenge. However, rest assure that you professional cockpit crew takes every measure possible to ensure that constant attention is given to the most important task at hand; arriving safe at the destination airport.

[Edited 2006-05-05 08:19:30]

[Edited 2006-05-05 08:20:40]

CosmicCruiser

Fri May 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 4):
Typical activities during cruise in a modern aircraft include conversation on professional matters, ensuring flight manual currency, confirming the integrity of ADF antennas by testing them with local AM radio stations, ridding the cockpit of printed media that was collected from the overnight hotel, satisfying nutritional needs in the form of crew meals and/or stimulating beverages, maintaining cranial vigilance with mental exercises involving the use of numerical or alphabetical puzzles, or devising methods to keep the direct sunlight from causing eye fatigue.

WOW! Did I do all that?..LOL! Preventing "eye fatigue" is really important EVEN at night!

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 4):
Honestly, the workload at cruise is almost nil.

Wellll, that really depends on where you're flying from/to.

pilotaydin

Fri May 05, 2006 9:21 pm

actually, the workload is reduced yes, BUT the proficiency of many older pilots is greatly reduced, at my airline a lot of old timers aren't very compatible with the FMS/EFIS layout or use...

it's much easier for computer children to become pilots now...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

MaxQ2351

Fri May 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 3):
What? That would be extraordinarily unprofessional. I wouldn't be earning my $18,000/yr if I did that.

Haha this had me laughing for a long time!!

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 5):
Quoting [email protected]IAH (Reply 4):Honestly, the workload at cruise is almost nil.
Wellll, that really depends on where you're flying from/to.

And again, your aircraft type. My dad is a NW 747-400 captain, and one of his best friends is a NW 747-200 captain, and they've done a lot of comparing of inflight procedures and such between the two planes, and there is a significant higher workload on the 742 compared to the 744.

Quoting [email protected]IAH (Reply 4):
or devising methods to keep the direct sunlight from causing eye fatigue.

If you fly international on double crewed flights, half of the time there is a very easy (and often suggested!!) method of alleviating, and reversing eye fatigue!! The 777-200LR and 787 will probably take that to a whole new level though with the possible requirement of triple crews on ultra-long range flights!!

-Max
The 777-200LR......2 engines 4 longer haul

CosmicCruiser

Fri May 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 7):
And again, your aircraft type.

I really wasn't referring to a/c type really since in any FMS jet you could just sit back (for the most part) and let it go but I was thinking of some routes that can keep you very busy calling different control agencies (sometimes 2 or 3 at the same time on both vhf and hf) searching for "ball notes" and FIR boundries. We were speaking about workload in cruise...That's all...CC

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos