Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lagos747

RE: Is This Allowed On All Airlines In C-class?

Sat May 06, 2006 9:31 pm

Come on... Is this a site to discuss whats hot and new in the airline industry or is this a ladies gossip meeting at the local hairdresser. I travel way to much for my liking. In fact, my second bedroom is the cabin of a 747. And because of this, I will do my very best to be as comfortable as possible. I Will admit that I never take my socks off though - I find the cabin is always to cold to do that in anycase.

Some interesting comments though from the various people. I can't believe that a simple topic of some guys foot can create such a stir. Thanks for the entertainment as I sit in a hotel room once again far away from home. I am now so looking forward to my next long haul flight on Wednesday, I will be looking to see how many "naked" feet I can see.... LOL

dtwclipper

Sat May 06, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 16):
don't think it's inappropriate or impolite. Just as long as the feet don't stink, then I don't see a problem. If you can endure a 10+ hours flight with your shoes on, then the more power to you...

Still, that's why you get those nice little socks in Biz Class

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
This is not "indoors", this is in public, and is not acceptable . . .

checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 46):
Often you can see me on a local commuter train with sandals off and bare feet resting on the seat opposite. I have also been to restaurants, where once I have been seated I have removed my sandals too.

I know some people don't like it by some of the looks I get (normally it is old people), but I don't care. It is good for my feet and it is very comfortable. Furthermore, most people who find it bad manners only think that because they are not used to it.

No, it's just bad manners....and I don't want to get used to it.

So, it's ok to put your dirty feet on the seat, and then someone else is going to have to sit there....just very rude indeed!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

roseflyer

Sat May 06, 2006 10:50 pm

I think I'll chime in a bit and say that I am not surprised at all. I flown in first and business quite a bit and have noticed how people really dress down on long haul flights. It isn't like people wear collared shirts and slacks or suits up front, and even those that do often change once they are on board. People end up wanting to be comfortable and change into loose fitting and very casual clothing. I like everyone else take off my shoes on long flights. Sleeping in shoes is not fun at all. They always give you socks at least and often times slippers or booties. Now I don't think I have ever been barefoot, but I don't find a problem with people that are.

In general I think that if you walk through both first, business and economy that the best dressed people will be in economy. Afterall some airlines even give you sleep shirts or pajamas to change into so that you can be more comfortable. When on a plane many of the societal restrictions are lifted.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

darrenthe747

Sat May 06, 2006 10:54 pm

Quote:
Quoting Dtwclipper Reply 51
So, it's ok to put your dirty feet on the seat, and then someone else is going to have to sit there....just very rude indeed!

I think you're being a little over dramtic here. If you look again the dude's feet aren't on any seat at all, but the foot rest. If people want to put their bare feet up there where others have put there feet up and risk getting fungal infections  sarcastic  then let them. And even if they were on the seat, if you are that afraid of germs then you definitely shouldn't be flying on a commercial airliner. I'm sure there are some NASTY asses that sit in those seats that you are going to sit in yourself regardless of feet.

People sure do get offended over some silly stuff.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

dtwclipper

Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 53):
People sure do get offended over some silly stuff.

No, just bad manners.

N1120A

Sat May 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 54):
No, just bad manners.

Who's manners?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dtwclipper

Sat May 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 55):
Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 54):
No, just bad manners.

Who's manners?

Ok, so people don't get dressed up to get on planes or go out to dinner anymore, that's our modern world.

But, this one guy on the plane aside, don't you think that we should have some standards? I don't go into a fine restaurant in a tank top and sandals, and would suggest you wouldn't either. You don't clip your toenails in public either, but soon enough this will be the next thing that's ok to do.

I'm sorry, but I'm old world in a lot of ways. I dress well when I go out and on planes and find that I get better service and respect.

Speaking of respect, I think that's the crux of the issue. Respect for those around you, and not just thinking about yourself.

FlyGuyClt

Sat May 06, 2006 11:51 pm

Oh you should see when they go to the bathroom barefoot.

F/A.
"Excuse me Sir/Madam, but there are some children on here today and sometimes they miss, you may want to put some shoes on."

Pax.
"Oh I've had all my shots, thanks."

Safe Flying  Smile with dry feet.
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

flyprivate

Sun May 07, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 8):
FRAspotter
It is quite common among the passengers to take off their shoes and socks on a long flight in order to relax. When you should really start getting worried is when the pilot and FO start doing it as well!

Check This Out- They always Fly Barefoot!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dino van Doorn

darrenthe747

Sun May 07, 2006 12:06 am

oh c'mon. eating in a fine dining restaraunt is not comparable to flying on a commercial airliner, economy or first. Maybe 50 years ago it was, but not in the 21st century.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

B747-4U3

Sun May 07, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 51):
No, it's just bad manners....and I don't want to get used to it.

The point I was getting at is that in many cultures there is nothing wrong with walking around bare foot...etc, and the people who get offended by it are ones who perhaps have not been exposed to those cultures and thus are not used to that sort of behaviour. I wasn't suggesting that you, or anyone, should get used to that sort of behaviour.

Also, unless I have stepped in dog droppings, my feet are usually very clean and thus make no more impact on a seat than the dust and particles which can be found in the air or on people's clothes.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 56):
Speaking of respect, I think that's the crux of the issue. Respect for those around you, and not just thinking about yourself.

Repect is something that works both ways. By people complaining about the man with bare feet in the photograph, they are not respecting his tradition and beliefs. I don't feel that he has done anything wrong because he is behaving in a manner appropriate to his culture and thus you should consider that when judging him- you should think about his culture and not just your own.

But, this one guy on the plane aside, don't you think that we should have some standards? I don't go into a fine restaurant in a tank top and sandals, and would suggest you wouldn't either. You don't clip your toenails in public either, but soon enough this will be the next thing that's ok to do.

I think the key here is what is appropriate. It certain instances it may be appropriate to walk into a fine restaurant with shorts on- say if it is on a tropical beach. If it is in the middle of a city then obviously something more appropriate would be required.

In the case of aircraft, I believe that it is appropriate and acceptable to remove sandals as it promotes your own comfort and well-being, and enables you to relax and sleep during the flight.

babybus

Sun May 07, 2006 12:28 am

In all my time in the Middle East I have never come across a single pair of smelly feet. Arab feet are exposed directly to air all the time and hence don't sweat and therefore don't pong.

Smelly feet belong to western nations where feet are kept in shoes and trainers all day.

That man's only concern is that no one can see the soles of his feet which would be a massive insult to any fellow Arabs. Even I'm sensitive to that now.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

N1120A

Sun May 07, 2006 12:32 am

But, this one guy on the plane aside, don't you think that we should have some standards?

Again, who's standards? Standards vary by culture and location. You are from Detroit, it gets insanely cold there, of course you wear shoes all the time. This guy doesn't, big deal.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

flpuck6

Sun May 07, 2006 1:33 am

Hello all,

I have had the fortune of benig able to fly J class a few times and I find that the J class passengers are in fact the worst; the messiest, slobbiest. Just because they have more space and paid more some think they can act like pigs. Bad habits like putting your feet on the seat of the seat in front of you, taking off your socks, throwing stuff on the floor ... just makes me sick.
Bonjour Chef!

CrossChecked

Sun May 07, 2006 1:40 am

As a flight attendant, when I'm in J/C class I will always run around the cabin and put down the footrests for all passengers. It's something we don't have to do, but it's something I like doing.

You'd be surprised and disgusted at the mess of some of the footstools. People with "foot dandruff" have obviously had their shoes off, as the stools are COVERED in white powder (i.e. dead skin). It revoulting.
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

tjc2

Sun May 07, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 51):

If feet have been in sandals they might stand a chance of being dirty, but judging on some of the other comments by the likes of Babybus, apparently feet having been constantly in sandals aren't that bad. Think about putting one's feet up after they have been in shoes which have been exposed to the floor all the time you have had them and whenever you have used them. They are going to be alot more dirty then the feet inside them

You wouldn't go into a fine restraunt in a tank top tho would you, i think thats just plain (No pun intended) stupid and a rubbish comparison.

People he has JUST taken his shoes off, surely it's not that bad? if you don't wanna see it, don't.

When flying long haul I always take my shoes off, stay in my socks unless i go to the toilet, when i put my shoes back on
The only time I made a mistake was when I thought I was wrong...

WhiteBirdFlyer

Sun May 07, 2006 2:19 am

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread for providing one of the most culturally enlightening, funny, hilarious and even sometimes mildly disturbing discussions I've ever read here.  Smile

The range of attitudes, assumptions and beliefs is truly amazing. It's one of the reasons why I love travel in general, the chance to experience cultures other than my own. And this armchair-netsurfing travel on A.net is nearly as rewarding sometimes!

As a side note, I flew transatlantic (JFK-LHR, JFK-CDG) a lot in the 1970's. This was in the age where F seats were just big and didn't go flat or anything close. Airlines passed out socks/booties for pax that wanted to take their street shoes off, but most I saw chose to stay shod. The upperdecks of the 747-100's had those lovely lounges and it was sort of like being in a fine restaurant/bar: people would put their shoes back on and even tidy up a bit before they went up the spiral staircase to get a drink or just have a look around. These days, however, on services like VS's Upper Class, it often looks more like a locker room or break room than a stylish group travelling overseas.  Wink

Cordially,
WFB, who keeps his shoes on when appropriate.
WhiteBirdFlyer, currently near SFO

citationjet

Sun May 07, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 8):
When you should really start getting worried is when the pilot and FO start doing it as well!

This one has taken off more than his shoes.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Erik Frikke

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

airxliban

Sun May 07, 2006 2:26 am

Look at the passenger in question and it should all become obvious.

Though he's not breaking any rules, no reason why it should be outlawed.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

AR385

Sun May 07, 2006 2:31 am

Good luck if you travel 10+ hours without removing your shoes. I doubt you'll have an easy time taking them off at your destination, or the pain will be killing you.

I take my shoes off in F, C, or Y. I bring with me a clean pair of socks though. I also take off my pants whatever they are and put on loose shorts. If I am going to be working my ass off for the next 5 days wherever I'm going, I'm sure as hell going to make myself comfortable getting there.

dtwclipper

Sun May 07, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting Tjc2 (Reply 65):
When flying long haul I always take my shoes off, stay in my socks unless i go to the toilet, when i put my shoes back on

When I travel long haul, I always keep a pair of slippers in my carryon. I take my shoes off, and use my own slippers for the duration of the flight. When we're on final, they go back in their shoe bags and don't come out until I reach my hotel or home.

ShowerOfSparks

Tue May 09, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):
Do you see what i see in this picture? *S*

A PSGR HAS NAKED FEET!

How would you feel about this group of travellers?

http://www.naked-air.com/

iairallie

Tue May 09, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting GatwickA320 (Reply 36):
As an FA I'm always telling pax to put their shoes on before going to the toilet. They don't always realise how nasty it can be in there!

Good grief, as an FA I have enough responsibilities. I don't need to add to them by playing shoe police with grown adults. Children by themselves I advise to put on shoes for the lav. If they have a parent with them it's the parent's problem. Of course if a neighboring passenger asks me to talk to someone about offensive foot odor I am happy to oblige. Telling the idiots who walk into a public restroom off for not wearing shoes though why should I care?
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

fbgdavidson

Tue May 09, 2006 12:40 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 61):
In all my time in the Middle East I have never come across a single pair of smelly feet. Arab feet are exposed directly to air all the time and hence don't sweat and therefore don't pong.

Smelly feet belong to western nations where feet are kept in shoes and trainers all day.

That man's only concern is that no one can see the soles of his feet which would be a massive insult to any fellow Arabs. Even I'm sensitive to that now.

Most sensible post in the entire thread  thumbsup 

As far as bare feet are going I wouldn't do it. No matter how clean airline seats 'appear' in F or J I doubt they are properly cleaned or disinfected at any time between installation and removal! The less bare skin resting on them for extended periods of time the better. I apply the same rules for this as I would for walking in a bus or train with no shoes and socks!

Having said that I always take off my shoes when flying longhaul in J & F to put on either the thin, crappy socks they provide or put on a spare pair of my own. Even when I've been wearing shorts and end up committing a number of major fashion faux pas.  Yeah sure
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

JGPH1A

Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
It's inappropriate and rude. . . . indicative of inadequate upbringin

Oh come on - dress codes went out with the whalebone corset (someone should tell Cornish  Smile ) What's wrong with feet, as long as they aren't stinky - it's like hands, only at the other end. I spent a lot of time in South Africa, and barefoot was ops normal outside working hours, certainly at home. It's comfortable, and much healthier for your feet than being confined in shoes and socks.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANCFlyer

Tue May 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 74):
someone should tell Cornish  biggrin 

rotfl 

I spent a lot of time in South Africa, and barefoot was ops normal outside working hours, certainly at home. It's comfortable, and much healthier for your feet than being confined in shoes and socks.

No question . . . when I'm not working or not in public, that's just fine.

Otherwise, it's socks and usually shoes . . . . or if in the appropriate location - sandels . . .

In public - and to me that means, work, air travel, rail travel, space travel, shopping, theater, yadda, yadda . . . my feet are appropriately covered . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Gr8Circle

Tue May 09, 2006 9:21 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
I've seen naked feet in international First and Business Class, in the latter cases usually propped up against the bulkhead

It's much better than the pax who put their shoes up on the bulkhead....and leave their footprints back on the aircrafts 'wall of fame'....  Big grin

Gr8Circle

Tue May 09, 2006 9:25 pm

It's inappropriate and rude. . . . indicative of inadequate upbringing.

Sorry my friend....you need a quick lesson in understanding other cultures....

dtwclipper

Tue May 09, 2006 9:39 pm

It's inappropriate and rude. . . . indicative of inadequate upbringin

Oh come on - dress codes went out with the whalebone corset

No, good breeding and manners have never gone out of style.

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 77):
Sorry my friend....you need a quick lesson in understanding other cultures....

Has nothing to do with understanding other cultures, but being respectful of those around you.

Gr8Circle

Tue May 09, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 78):
Has nothing to do with understanding other cultures, but being respectful of those around you.

I guess the same advice applies to you Big grin

dtwclipper

Tue May 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 79):
Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 78):

I guess the same advice applies to you

Thanks, but not thanks for your advice. I will continue to be respectful of others, in spite of the fact that you think it is acceptable not to be.

Gr8Circle

Tue May 09, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 80):
Thanks, but not thanks for your advice. I will continue to be respectful of others, in spite of the fact that you think it is acceptable not to be.

Don't quite understand how exaclty you guys translate bare feet as being disrespectful.....

9V-SVA

Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 pm

What I'd do would be to remove my shoes, leaving socks on and putting on the sockettes provided by the airline. Far more comfortable as it keeps your feet warm too!
9V-SVA | B772ER

Tod

Tue May 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 73):
No matter how clean airline seats 'appear' in F or J I doubt they are properly cleaned or disinfected at any time between installation and removal!

Walk through a plane with the seat covers removed and look at the padding. Just think about everything that left a stain on the pad also went through the covering first.  yuck 

Tod

Gr8Circle

Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Tod (Reply 83):
Walk through a plane with the seat covers removed and look at the padding. Just think about everything that left a stain on the pad also went through the covering first

Any photos in the database....?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos