Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

grimey
Topic Author

FR May Offer Free Seats For Goals Against England

Sat May 06, 2006 11:28 pm

Ok we Irish can pull the piss out the English sometimes but this could really annoy any english fans next month if MOL goes ahead with it. We have also got to remember that FR never gives away "free" flights without trying to screw the passenger over with extra charges or that their flight won't be on the day the passenger wants it, just like the latest rugby offer.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Irish low-cost airline Ryanair could offer free tickets for each goal scored in the World Cup against England, the company's outspoken chief executive Michael O'Leary has told a German newspaper.

"That's something we can envision doing," O'Leary, an Irishman with a flair for publicity and known fondness for soccer and rugby, told weekly Welt am Sonntag.

"100,000 tickets for each goal against England or something like that."

If he proceeds with the plan, O'Leary will have to hope that British passengers, who are responsible for a big portion of Ryanair's revenues, do not abandon the airline. Ireland did not qualify for the World Cup, which starts in Germany on June 9.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/060506/2/jc6v.html

Grimey

Capital146

RE: FR May Offer Free Seats For Goals Against England

Sat May 06, 2006 11:44 pm

Nothing like trying to annoy the nation which accounts for the most revenue of your company!  Yeah sure

But most English folk are good at giving and receiving a bit of banter, so in the highly likely event that the England football team promise much and then fall short, perhaps FR should offer an increase on their fares from English destinations, as we'll have suffered enough already without Ryanair trying to woo us onto their flights!  Big grin

Sorry, couldn't resist. To be honest, in my experience FR are not as bad as they're often branded to be by some here. I've had many flights on other carriers which were far, far, worse!
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

shamrock350

Sun May 07, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Grimey (Thread starter):
Ireland did not qualify for the World Cup,

Did you have to put that bit in  Big grin

If FR flights were really "free" I would fly them all the time, until that day I will stick with EI.  Smile

HS748

Sun May 07, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 1):
But most English folk are good at giving and receiving a bit of banter

Absolutely. And personally I hate football so I hope there are lots of goals scored against England!

sevenair

Sun May 07, 2006 6:45 am

I think it's taking the piss. I don't see what MOL or anyone has against us English. I noticed FR have a 'Pride of Scotland' plane, do they have a 'Pride of Endland' plane? Or do FR only like the money that we English bring in, and not our national pride. You can bet your 2cents that FR Wales or Scotalnd would be pissed at this, so I think its a shambles.

HS748

Mon May 08, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 4):
I think it's taking the piss. I don't see what MOL or anyone has against us English. I noticed FR have a 'Pride of Scotland' plane, do they have a 'Pride of Endland' plane? Or do FR only like the money that we English bring in, and not our national pride. You can bet your 2cents that FR Wales or Scotalnd would be pissed at this, so I think its a shambles.

You're taking it far too seriously. Chill out a little and enjoy the banter!

LH423

Mon May 08, 2006 7:38 am

I think that's pretty cheeky. Maybe he should come out and say that he's offering these tickets because he's so confident that no one will score against the English...or something  Smile

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

planesarecool

Mon May 08, 2006 7:52 am

The way i see it is that he is actually supporting England. Because he would rather charge say £1 for a ticket than give it away, so he would be hoping that England wouldn't concede many goals, so he doesn't have to 'give away' so many seats.

Same sort of thing in "Sports World" (or Sports Soccer) shops in the UK, where they say that if you buy an England shirt from them and England win the world cup, they will give you your money back. As a company, they are probably hoping that England won't win the world cup (not that they will anyway - and i'm English) otherwise they'd lose a hell of a lot of money.

N754PR

Mon May 08, 2006 10:23 pm

The guy is a complete idiot that just loves press attention... I hope British pax stop flying is silly airline.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

gkirk

Mon May 08, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting N754PR (Reply 8):
The guy is a complete idiot that just loves press attention... I hope British pax stop flying is silly airline.

Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

HS748

Tue May 09, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 6):
I think that's pretty cheeky. Maybe he should come out and say that he's offering these tickets because he's so confident that no one will score against the English...or something

You've more confidence in my national team than I have!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos