kaitak744
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic IFE

Tue May 09, 2006 1:28 pm

In this picture:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Glenn Stewart

are the slots above the screens for credit cards? If so, which are the airlines that actually charge extra for PTV IFE? The only one I have heard so far that does it is Frontier.

superhub

RE: Virgin Atlantic IFE

Tue May 09, 2006 1:37 pm

PTVs in most airlines have credit card slots. The idea was that you could use credit cards for many things like shop duty free or gamble (not taken up by many airlines yet) Some airlines like B6 and Song have those slots so you can pay to watch movies. And Frontier is the only airline I know of which charges for PTVs.

stirling

Tue May 09, 2006 2:25 pm

Looks like a bigger screen than on the 744...is that truly the case or just how it appears by this photo? I don't remember the screens being this large, but it has been 2 years since I was Virgin.
Delete this User

AvionicMech

Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm

The gap at the top is actually there to allow the heat to escape from behind the screen, as in it is basically just a cooling vent.

They do have a credit card reader on the VS IFE but it is along the side of the handset which you take out of your armrest.

tjr16698

Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Thread starter):
which are the airlines that actually charge extra for PTV IFE? The only one I have heard so far that does it is Frontier.

Quoting AvionicMech (Reply 3):
The gap at the top is actually there to allow the heat to escape from behind the screen, as in it is basically just a cooling vent.

They do have a credit card reader on the VS IFE but it is along the side of the handset which you take out of your armrest.

You don't pay for the movies etc on VS. The credit card on the IFE is if you want to use it as a phone.
cheers
TJR

Starlionblue

Tue May 09, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 2):
Looks like a bigger screen than on the 744...is that truly the case or just how it appears by this photo? I don't remember the screens being this large, but it has been 2 years since I was Virgin.

The V-Port screens on the 346 are indeed larger than the typical 744 screens. Eventually you may see V-Port on all the planes. V-Port is also truly on demand, with a library of over 100 movies and docus, start at any time, pause, rewind, ff, etc...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Mir

Wed May 10, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 5):
V-Port is also truly on demand, with a library of over 100 movies and docus, start at any time, pause, rewind, ff, etc...

And V-Port is great when it works, but so far it's been 0 for 2 in terms of making it across the pond without any hiccups.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Starlionblue

Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
And V-Port is great when it works, but so far it's been 0 for 2 in terms of making it across the pond without any hiccups.

I'm 1 for 1. So if we get about another 27 samples we can start building real statistics  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos