Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

krje1980
Topic Author

Hunger Strike For Cheaper PIA Tickets

Thu May 11, 2006 12:47 am

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=115995 (in Norwegian only)

The Norwegian-Pakistani Abdul Ghufoor Butt has gone on a seven-day hunger strike in order to protest against PIA's high prices on its Oslo - Islamabad flight. PIA has a monopoly on the route, and Butt demands a decrease in ticket costs claiming that it is nearly impossible for Pakistani or Norwegian-Pakistani families living in Norway to afford travelling to their native country. Further, Butt says that he does not care if he gets ill, as he claims that by doing this he is doing something positive for the relatively large Pakistani population in Oslo. PIA says it takes the situation seriously, but says that it is hard to cut the price due to high fuel prices.

iairallie

RE: Hunger Strike For Cheaper PIA Tickets

Thu May 11, 2006 1:44 am

If it were impossible for people to pay those fares then PIA wouldn't be making money on the route and they would either stop flying it or charge less. Airlines aren't charities. Also he should consider this he wouldn't be able to fly that route at all if PIA couldn't make a profit on it as airlines generally do not fly where they can't make money.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

MichiganMAN

Thu May 11, 2006 1:54 am

I just expedia'd the route.
$1113 (US) with BA via LHR 1st Sept - 8th Sept.
hardly a disaster..........I mean I'd love to be able to fly direct from DTW to MAN but unless I found my own airline it isn't going to happen.
UK -> USA

jacobin777

Thu May 11, 2006 3:10 am

They have jacked prices up quite a bit, my mom is paying about 50% more than last year in business class from ORD-KHI-ORD ...but that is how the market goes..

PK is still offering competitive fares in all classes....and there is the added benefit of flying direct.....

Mr. Butt has the right to protest, but at the end of the day, market forces will dictate what ticket prices are going to be...
"Up the Irons!"

MaverickM11

Thu May 11, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Krje1980 (Thread starter):
Butt says that he does not care if he gets ill,

Nor do I for that matter.
I don't take responsibility at all

FLYACYYZ

Thu May 11, 2006 3:26 am

What a noble and worthy cause.  Yeah sure

Shop around. PIA is not the only way of travelling between Oslo and Islamabad. What a crock.
Above and Beyond

PanAm747

Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 am

Well, somebody finally came up with something original. I have to give him credit for that.

I actually feel sorry for PIA - first the coach passengers who are offended by getting only what they paid for and want free upgrades, now a hunger strike by someone who lives in the most expensive city on the planet (Oslo) because he thinks the non-stop fares are too high.

Maybe I'll go on a hunger strike until BA returns to San Diego. You have to admit, it couldn't be any LESS effective!!

At the risk of sounding like The Grinch, boo-friggin'-hoo!! I don't know whether to cry, laugh, or throw up.  cry   laughing   vomit 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

prebennorholm

Thu May 11, 2006 8:38 am

I also once went on hunger strike against Swiss International Airlines.

For one hour and 30 minutes I suffered a hunger strike - all the duration of my flight from CPH to ZRH.

The reason for my hunger strike was not the ticket price. But the meal they served en route I didn't find inspiring.

Luckily my Swiss friend, who collected me at ZRH, drove us directly to a fancy restaurant for a four course dinner. That saved my life - and ruined my credit card.

Mr. Butt will probably suffer a longer hunger strike than me. But according to the picture of him in the Norwegian newspaper he is also in need for a longer lasting hunger strike.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

cwldude

Thu May 11, 2006 8:42 am

What does he think he's going to achieve by doing this?? People like him really irritate me... a massive airline company such as PIA aren't going to care about 1 silly little man who's starving himself to get a lower fare!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

AEROFAN

Thu May 11, 2006 8:48 am

aw shucks - and here i was thinking such stuff only happens in america.back to the drawing board
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

GuyBetsy1

Thu May 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Quoting MichiganMAN (Reply 2):
I just expedia'd the route.
$1113 (US) with BA via LHR 1st Sept - 8th Sept.
hardly a disaster..........I mean I'd love to be able to fly direct from DTW to MAN but unless I found my own airline it isn't going to happen.

BA would be a possibility - except that Pakistani citizens must obtain a transit visa even in transit through LHR. So PIA knows that it has the monopoly on this route.

There are other options too for people not wanting to take the driect flight. There's always KL via AMS, AF via CDG, LH via FRA, etc etc.

I mean why would anyone want to take PK anyway?

jacobin777

Thu May 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 10):

because all the "aunites' and "uncles' like the fact PK is a "local" carrier and the pilots, F/A's, as well as other pax speak either urdu, punjabi, pushto, balochi, sindhi, etc....
"Up the Irons!"

yowza

Thu May 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Hunger strikes are for pansies, now if this guy really wants to protest he should set himself on fire in zealot monk fashion. Airlines are not going to start dropping prices every time some halfwit decided to kick up a fuss about prices.

That said though if he does manage to pony up the money to fly PK back to Pakistan he should feel free to upgrade himself to first class.  Wink RE: PIA Economy Passengers Storm First Class In Mutiny (by Chksix May 9 2006 in Civil Aviation)

People like this make visible minority immigrants look bad.

YOWza

planetime

Thu May 11, 2006 5:10 pm

well in keeping up with this jokers hunger strike why not the whole world go on hunger strike.....look at the price of petrol. now that is what we can all relate to.

The Pakistani community should be happy that their country's airline servers Oslo. With a population of between 10,000 and 15,000 total in Norway... they still offer a flight.

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 7):
Mr. Butt will probably suffer a longer hunger strike than me. But according to the picture of him in the Norwegian newspaper he is also in need for a longer lasting hunger strike.

GOOD POINT.

I can only imagine what this "Mr.Butt" will do if PIA will start charging for meals on its flights. He will probably have a heart attack on the plane....

Where does PIA get these clowns that they call passengers. First the passengers storm into Business class and now a hunger strike. Whats next rioting and looting on its flights......

[Edited 2006-05-11 10:12:01]

[Edited 2006-05-11 10:15:41]

krje1980
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 6:31 pm

What is even more ridiculous is the fact that Mr. Butt willingly starves himself for practically nothing. His demands are that Y tickets should cost 1000 doallrs instead of 1400, and that J tickets should cost 1500 dollars instead of 2500 dollars. Basically he goes on hunger strike to save a measly 400 dollars. Also, expecting a J ticket to cost 1500 doallrs for such a long trip is just laughable.

himmat01

Thu May 11, 2006 7:00 pm

This overweight guy needs to go on a hunger strike. It would help him get back into shape.

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00246/Ghufoor_Abdul_Butt__246329c.jpg
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

isuA380B777

Thu May 11, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 15):
This overweight guy needs to go on a hunger strike. It would help him get back into shape.

This really made my day

krje1980
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 12:12 am

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=116105 (in Norwegian only)

In latest news: The Pakistani embassy sent one of its employees to Mr Butt asking him to end his strike since it is "embarrasing" for the Pakistani embassy. The embassy claims it is concerned for the welfare of Mr. Butt and hopes he will start eating again as soon as possible. Mr. Butt, on the other hand, remains resolute in his choice. He says he will continue the strike until PIA gives a guarantee that they will lower the airlinefares.

Wonder how far this will go. . .

jacobin777

Fri May 12, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 10):

got a problem with PK?
"Up the Irons!"

L410Turbolet

Fri May 12, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting Krje1980 (Reply 14):
and that J tickets should cost 1500 dollars instead of 2500

Well, if you can't afford J class then you have to put up with economy, like the rest of us!

Quoting Krje1980 (Reply 17):
The Pakistani embassy sent one of its employees to Mr Butt asking him to end his strike since it is "embarrasing" for the Pakistani embassy.

I think it embarassing to his family only. Anyone with a common sense realizes he's total moron.

planetime

Fri May 12, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 18):
got a problem with PK?

I have no problem with PK but after seeing a clown like this...... I have some second thoughts.  Big grin I am sure though this clown must not represent most people who fly on PK. Anyway doesn't this guy have something better to do (like a job) or something.

FlyKev

Fri May 12, 2006 5:54 am

My suggestion to PK.

Silence this screwball.
How?

He said lower the fares, but he didnt say by how much (or at least not to my reading).
Drop the fares by a penny or 2 pennies and then say to him that he won.

What will people do next?

Im personally going on a strike until VS bring back the notepad in the Y complimentary amenities packs.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

bravo45

Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 15):

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

They should not serve him the meal enroute and lower the price that much for him.

Quoting Planetime (Reply 20):
I am sure though this clown must not represent most people who fly on PK.

You do seem to hold a grudge against PK or Pakistan.

jacobin777

Fri May 12, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 20):
I have no problem with PK but after seeing a clown like this...... I have some second thoughts. Big grin I am sure though this clown must not represent most people who fly on PK. Anyway doesn't this guy have something better to do (like a job) or something.

Planetime, I know you have no problem with PK... Wink

My mom is flying PK on Saturday... biggrin ......
"Up the Irons!"

planetime

Fri May 12, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 22):
You do seem to hold a grudge against PK or Pakistan.

No not one bit honestly.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 23):
Planetime, I know you have no problem with PK.

checkmark 

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 21):
Silence this screwball.
How?

My suggestion is to put some food in his mouth and make him silent.

DYflyer

Sat May 13, 2006 2:35 am

As Krje1980 writes, the article mention how much Mr. Butt wants the price lowered. He want the prices of economy down from 8500 NOK (about 1400 US$) to 6000 NOK (1000 US$). Business tickets he want down from 15000 NOK (2500 US$) to 9000 NOK (1500 US$)
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos