Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

socalfive
Topic Author

Flight 93 Movie Review By DL Captain

Sat May 13, 2006 4:52 am

This is from an unknown DL Captain on duty during 9/11 reviewing the Movie "Flight 93" It was forwarded to my email this morning and I found it to be an interesting perspective of the movie and the day.

SoCal

Guys,

Susie and I just got back from seeing "UAL Flight 93", it was absolutely gripping, and as a former airline pilot who was flying a trip that morning on a Boeing 767 from Cincinnati to Orlando it was almost too horrific to watch...it was very disturbing!

For you pilot types, the attention to detail, the cockpit, the preflight, the crew, pilots and flight attendants boarding the aircraft and making small talk was or so real and routine...just another day in the office!

Likewise the views from central flow control, NY and Boston ARTCC and the NORAD command center were very realistic. Should anyone have any doubts about our response, or lack of that morning you need to view this movie.

Watching all the various controllers and their supervisors trying to get their arms around the problem and to come to grips and connect the dots is so very real. The movie appears to almost happen in real time and you can really sense the problem that the commanders had in thinking outside the box and realizing that we were really at war.

Fighters are scrambled, late, and in the wrong direction, as threats are suppose to come from over the water to the east not from over land to the west; the planes are not armed, can they ram, and who has the authority to give that command...the command is given but not relayed to the pilots.

The lack of communications, or rather the disbelief and lack of coordination is stunning but easy to understand. Even the pilots of UAL Flt 93 are given a data link message that the Towers have been hit and to beware of cockpit intruders...they brush it off in disbelief...as I'm sure any pilot would have prior to that date.

The time line given at the end of the movie and the confusion over what planes were involved, and which flights were being hijacked is very revealing...we just couldn't get it together quickly enough.

As pilots and crew members we had never been trained to deal with suicidal hijackers who were prepared to die, it was simply inconceivable at the time.

A key point, though not belabored, was when the supervisor of the FAA Central Flow Control ordered that all aircraft in US airspace land immediately, (there were over 4200 in the air), that no planes from overseas would be allowed into the country and would be turned back, and that there were to be no over flights...he realized that we were at war but didn't know with whom...it was a very
bold and brave move and he was thinking way outside the box...I believe that it was also his first day on the job as the boss!

All Americans should see this movie as it may help them get a grip on the terrorist threat that we are up against vs. the radical Muslim world.

I don't know if we belong in Iraq or how we should deal with Iran or North Korea or the Sudan, but I know that there is a real threat to our way of life from the radical Islamic fundamentalists.

I continually hear that this is not a true reflection of the Koran or true Islamic beliefs. Well that may be true, and it might not be, but there would appear to be plenty of Muslims in the world that have an entirely different and radical interpretation of the Koran which we cannot ignore.

What was probably as disturbing as watching an airline crew, that could have been me or any of my friends, seeing their world and their life taken away, was the hijackers preparing to die, washing themselves and praying to their god as if they were doing his will.

They looked like ordinary young men, and to think that they could
sit next to all these people on that plane that they were going to kill, who had nothing against them or done nothing to them, was beyond words.

I guess if nothing else it gives you insight into the minds of suicide bombers, which to our Western way of thought is beyond comprehension. This movie will make you angry, very angry.

My experience on 9/11. We were just ready to close the door for our Delta 767 flight from CVG to MCO when the gate agent came on board and asked if we had heard anything about a small plane hitting the World Trade Center, we had not, so she said goodbye and closed the door.

Shortly thereafter we were airborne climbing out on a beautifully clear crisp fall morning heading to Florida with not a cloud in the sky or a care in the world. I heard a bizjet ask for a reroute since he could not get to New York and I thought that was strange. Then another bizjet said "well I guess we won't be going there either" and asked for a clearance to an alternate.

At that point I asked center what was going on. There was a pause and then the controller came back in a very excited voice and said "they have hit both of the Trade Center Towers, they have hit the Pentagon, they have hit the Capitol and the Whitehouse.

Well you can imagine it got really lively on the frequency. I turned to my Co-Pilot and said "I don't know what has happened, but I do know that things will never be the same", and I think I got that right!

Within seconds the controller had composed himself and said, " all flights on this frequency standby," and it was dead quiet. He then said, "all flights are to land immediately," and went down the list of the planes under his control.

"American 235 turn right heading 230 you're landing at Pittsburgh, Continental 456 turn left heading 180 for Cincinnati, Delta 235 (that's me) turn right to 250
and descend to 8000, you're landing at Knoxville, airport your 2 o'clock 40 miles....etc"

It was the best, fastest and most efficient handling I have ever had from ATC...they had everyone on the ground all over the country in minimum time. After all the initial confusion, their professionalism, and that of all the flight crews was exemplary!

We spent two days in Knoxville and then ferried an empty 757 back to Atlanta and I believe were one of the first flights to land back at our main hub.
Our arrival at ATL was one of the most moving experiences of my flying career. The airspace was totally empty, there was no talk on the radio, and we were the only plane in the sky over ATL, the busiest airport in the U.S., but we did have, unknown to us until informed by the controller, an F-16 right on our tail, but we never saw him.

When we taxied in the normally frantic ramp area was dead quiet, all the ground equipment, tugs, baggage carts, tugs, fuelers etc. were lined up in military precision and the ground crew were standing at attention and saluted...wow, I'll never forget that. They needed a sign that things were getting back to normal...that we were moving and flying again.

Reflections. As you may know I was on a United Flight several weeks ago from Chicago to Sacramento that had a passenger who tried to open the front cabin door, allegedly claimed to have a bomb, and took a swing at the flight attendant. We'll yours truly was sound asleep in the last row of coach and missed all the action, but suffice it to say that before he got very far he was rapidly subdued by the first class section and we
diverted to Denver.

Unlike Flight 93 he couldn't have gotten into the cockpit as the cockpit door is now armored and no passenger is going to sit still and let anyone interfere with the flight. I always felt that with the improved cockpit door that I would be totally safe, and that all my passengers in the cabin would act as Sky Marshals...I was and they did...they remembered 9/11, lets hope that we never forget!

I would also like to mention that all the crew members on my United flight as well as all the ground rescue folks in Denver and the United station personnel did an absolutely marvelous job in handling this incident. It made me proud to have once been a part of this profession.

John

AirCop

RE: Flight 93 Movie Review By DL Captain

Sat May 13, 2006 5:11 am

Thanks for posting. Very well written.

phxplanes

Sat May 13, 2006 5:14 am

Wow that was very interesting to read. I saw the movie and it did seam very realistic. Always interesting to hear something from people who were in the middle of it.
Thanks for posting

DAYflyer

Sat May 13, 2006 5:17 am

Thank you for the post. It was nice to hear his take on the movie.
One Nation Under God

flyabunch

Sat May 13, 2006 5:24 am

Thanks for posting. I think we all need to keep these thoughts fresh in our memories. We have a long way to go.

Mike

CentPIT

Sat May 13, 2006 6:10 am

Wonderful post, marvelous to read!
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

BMIFlyer

Sat May 13, 2006 7:34 am

Great post, thank you.

I believe the movie is released in the UK in June, I will make sure I go and see it  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

corey07850

Sat May 13, 2006 7:59 am

Delta flies/flew a 767 from CVG to MCO?

boeingfanyyz

Sat May 13, 2006 8:07 am

Heard the movie was absolutely amazing. Gripping, factually correct and great for aviation and non-aviation enthusiasts!

However, not sure I'd want to play the role of the terrorists!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

cs03

Sat May 13, 2006 11:46 am

Quite an Interesting read!

Quoting Flyabunch (Reply 4):

checkmark 

LTU932

Sat May 13, 2006 11:54 am

It is indeed an interesting read. Good to see a pilot's insight into things, since that brings a unique perspective into this matter.

Just reading this makes me want to view this film, so perhaps if I can't see it in the theatre, I'll get the DVD once it's out.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

tootallsd

Sat May 13, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks for the interesting post. I had pretty much written off this movie as being exploitive but your review gives it a different perspective.

It also reminds me that one of my strongest memories of the 12th and 13th was the complete quiet outside in terms of aircraft -- very common throughout San Diego county. I'm working in rural China right now and I go days without hearing an airplane. When we do hear something it is noteworthy.

I do think we all need to be conscious of us/them discussions. I dont' think there is a war between the Muslim world and the west at all. Clearly there is some sub-set that is quite happy to use their religion to this aim but there are many more that disagree or are neutral. I wish the ones that disagreed were much more vocal. I think Americans need to be cognizant of the rise of fundamentalism (of a different brand) in our own country and its negative and destructive effects. Clearly not of the same scale as that brutal morning, but it is still there.

Again, thanks for the post and your recollections of that day.

bestpilot

Sat May 13, 2006 12:17 pm

Quoting Socalfive (Thread starter):
Even the pilots of UAL Flt 93 are given a data link message that the Towers have been hit and to beware of cockpit intruders...they brush it off in disbelief...as I'm sure any pilot would have prior to that date.

Do you really think every pilot would have brushed off such a message from company HQ?

As pilots and crew members we had never been trained to deal with suicidal hijackers who were prepared to die, it was simply inconceivable at the time.

Inconceivable? EgyptAir Flight 990 was crashed on purpose by a relief copilot in 2000. A suicidal/homicidal Muslim bent on killing innocent people took the controls of a Boeing 767 and crashed it, killing all aboard. Still inconceivable that a hijacker might do the same thing? We knew this before 9/11, by the way, as the report came out in August of 2000.

Tom Clancy even includes the idea of using airliners as guided missiles in his book "Debt of Honor" in which a JAL captain crashes a 744 ferry flight into the US Capitol building.

magyar

Sat May 13, 2006 12:19 pm

I have not seen the movie yet, but it is on my to do list.
I am pretty sure it is a realistic well-made movie.
However, I would always trade in this movie for
seeing OBL or anybody who has anything meaningful
to do with 911 on trial. I bet it would be much more
pleasing to see for the relatives of the 911 victims, too!

socalfive
Topic Author

Sat May 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Quoting Bestpilot (Reply 12):
Even the pilots of UAL Flt 93 are given a data link message that the Towers have been hit and to beware of cockpit intruders...they brush it off in disbelief...as I'm sure any pilot would have prior to that date.

Do you really think every pilot would have brushed off such a message from company HQ?

I DON'T PERSONALLY "THINK" ANYTHING, if you would take the initiative to read the entire post, notably the First sentence, this is a letter, forwarded to me-written by someone else, claiming to be a DL captain- I got in my email this morning and posted it verbatim in its entirety to this thread to the obvious interest of myself and others.

Inconceivable? EgyptAir Flight 990 was crashed on purpose by a relief copilot in 2000. A suicidal/homicidal Muslim bent on killing innocent people took the controls of a Boeing 767 and crashed it, killing all aboard. Still inconceivable that a hijacker might do the same thing? We knew this before 9/11, by the way, as the report came out in August of 2000.

Tom Clancy even includes the idea of using airliners as guided missiles in his book "Debt of Honor" in which a JAL captain crashes a 744 ferry flight into the US Capitol building.

There's a thousand books with ideas of people being killed by a maniac with a knife too and nobody believes it will ever happen to them, including (I'm sure) the four flight crews of two 767s and two 757s on September 11th, 2001. By the way Captain, we're you even in the air that morning or this an armchair arrogance of a self-serving ego?

It's quite obvious that you're much smarter than the author of this letter and I for one am grateful you chimed in to set the rest of us straight.  Yeah sure
TAAIEC

SoCal

ATCme

Sat May 13, 2006 1:28 pm

I saw the movie about a week after it opened and it was great. The realism was amazing and it had excellent shots of both the control centers and the airport operations.
As for this:

...they brush it off in disbelief...as I'm sure any pilot would have prior to that date.

I can readily believe that most pilots would have done just that. Wen Americans really weren't prepared and didn't expect anything could or would happen to us on our own soil with our planes.
Another good review that I've seen is from John Carr, the NATCA president. He was at the premier of the movie and has a great description from the controller's viewpoint.
http://themainbang.typepad.com/blog/2006/04/index.html Scroll down to Apr. 26th.

Quoting JohnCarr:
The heroes of Flight 93 are depicted with honor. Their bravery struck the first blow against tyranny and terror, and Greengrass captures their innate American spirit of triumph and improvisation with a gentleness that is a dichotomy to the film's underlying brutality and violence.

ATCme  spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

tinpusher007

Sat May 13, 2006 1:50 pm

I, too saw UAL 93 just recently and because that day was something that we can all relate to, it didn't feel like a movie. It felt like that day all over again...it brought all that emotion back for me. Interestingly, I have a friend who works at NY ARTCC and he told me that some of the controllers in the movie are actual controllers that work with him. They went a long way to make this movie very authentic. Usually movies about aviation are filled with inadequate scenes and/or info. The only ones I noticed were in one scene of flt 93 climbing out, they showed an A320 instead of a 757. Another thing was that they showed pax talking about views of NY long after the flight had reached FL350. And finally, the original poster can aswer this: They showed the crew recieving ACARS msgs on what appeared to be the FMS. I always thought those msgs came through the ACARS unit itself. Anyway, small nitpicking, but an excellent behind the scenes look at a day that everyone in this country will remember.

One last thing worth mentioning: not to take anything away from all the controllers that day, but helping them was the fact that there was little to no wx that morning allowing them to clear the skies as quickly as they did.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat May 13, 2006 2:07 pm

Can't wait till its released here in NZ, obvioulsly I wont see it till I'm back from the states in August, so I might see it in the USA.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

varigb707

Sat May 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Great report.  crying 
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

nosedive

Sat May 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 14):
There's a thousand books with ideas of people being killed by a maniac with a knife too and nobody believes it will ever happen to them, including (I'm sure) the four flight crews of two 767s and two 757s on September 11th, 2001. By the way Captain, we're you even in the air that morning or this an armchair arrogance of a self-serving ego?

It's quite obvious that you're much smarter than the author of this letter and I for one am grateful you chimed in to set the rest of us straight.

There's also FedEx 705... Look, long story short, no one can change what happened, and it's horrid realizing that it look the deaths of thousands to realize that "fiction" does become real at times.

[Edited 2006-05-13 09:15:43]

777fan

Sat May 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Quoting Magyar (Reply 13):
I have not seen the movie yet, but it is on my to do list.

See it - you won't regret it.

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 16):
It felt like that day all over again...it brought all that emotion back for me.

I totally agree except for the fact that in retrospect, I feel a lot more angry than I did on the actual day. I think most of us were too shocked to react at the time.

My wife and I saw the movie last weekend and I couldn't help but feel bad for the pax from the get go. As the original thread mentioned, it was difficult to come to grips with the realization that the vermin that we saw at the security checkpoint, gate area, and on the aircraft would want to do such a thing to people that they didn't know. I was filled with ovetwhelming pride in watching the bravery, ingenuity and quick witted action exhibited by the pax and crew. As was suggested in the movie, they knew that they didn't have much of a chance but, for whatever reason - the sake of spoiling the nefarious plan unfolding in front of them, to seek revenge against their murderers or just sheer patriotism in their desire to spare the Capitol - the pax did what they did. Unlike every other Hollywood production, you know that the heroes don't save themselves in the end, you know that in some way, the villains win and that the end is a forgone conclusion before you even walk into the theater. Nevertheless, the film is inspiring and moving tribute to those that triumphed in the wake of overwhelming odds and that were willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that others wouldn't. Kudos to the filmmakers for their attention to detail and sensitive approach to the making of a film on the most contentious subject of our day.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Grbld

Sat May 13, 2006 5:55 pm

I'll be interested to see this movie as well.

Although on the other side of the pond, I (as most people) remember the day clearly. I just finished my training on the B757, my first job on a big airliner and got a call from my girlfriend, a flight attendant at my airline (then) who was supposed to take off. Their flight was delayed severely and they all sat around TV's at our crew center. She told me to turn on the TV, which I did. It was early afternoon over here. After the initial confusion of the first plane in the WTC, the confusion went away as I and millions of people around the world watched the second plane plough itself into the other tower. That's the plane that I just got trained to fly on. One of those beasts, being slung into the WTC. Unimaginable.

With the horror and grief of the victims and aftermath came the uncertainty. What will come of this? And, very selfishly, does this mean the end of my job here? A friend of mine, who was hired at SWA had his end-of-probation sim check that morning, felt exactly the same thing. Just as him, I was lucky, since at lots of our competitors, thousands of pilots were jobless.

Another thing that became strikingly odd is that the hijackers did their flight training in Florida (Venice to be precise). Venice used to be my favourite little airport along the coast when I did my initial flight training. My first solo cross country was to Venice. Even though it was years before they trained there, that really struck me.

The world has definitely changed since then. Some things have gotten better, some things have gotten worse. At the airports, airline crew is treated like potential terrorists (bad) and some of the new security procedures are clearly made by desk-hugging rulemakers, giving many a false sense of security. This year, we'll be getting all aircraft outfitted with cameras, which I think is a very welcome step. As mentioned before, passengers and crew are now much more alert, a prime example was the shoe-bomber case. Excellent work there, it would've surely ended in disaster had 9/11 not happened.

Although the DL captain did not mention this with any bad intent: this movie is NOT just for "All Americans". Here in Europe we are at war as well and in much the same way as the US. It's an attack on the way of life of the Western World, not the US per se. It's true: United we stand, divided we fall, and in "united" it means ALL those who support our way of life. We are not alone, you are not alone, we're all in this together.

It's just that the US is not really being helped with "the decider" at the helm. (anyone watching Jon Stewart will know what I mean, gotta love the Daily Show!)

Okay enough rhetoric for now!

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 16):
They showed the crew recieving ACARS msgs on what appeared to be the FMS. I always thought those msgs came through the ACARS unit itself.

Nope, perfectly possible to receive it through the FMS CDU. We have a separate ACARS CDU in most of our aircraft, but you can still work the ACARS through both FMC CDUs as well.

drinkstrolley

Sat May 13, 2006 6:46 pm

It's nice to see a balanced and well written article here on A.Net for a change, thanks! It was very interesting.

bestpilot

Sat May 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 19):
There's also FedEx 705...

I forgot about that one. Read the book on that, scary and fascinating.

Junior747

Sat May 13, 2006 11:10 pm

A very moving and interesting post... co-incidentally I was talking to someone this morning who said that he had just seen the movie yesterday and that it impressed him. He found it incredibly moving and scary.

Regards,

Junior
Pilot of 'Lady Guinness' - 9H-UMR

tinpusher007

Sat May 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Grbld (Reply 21):
Nope, perfectly possible to receive it through the FMS CDU. We have a separate ACARS CDU in most of our aircraft, but you can still work the ACARS through both FMC CDUs as well.

I was unaware of this....thanx for the info.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

checksixx

Sun May 14, 2006 12:38 am

Fighters are scrambled, late, and in the wrong direction, as threats are suppose to come from over the water to the east not from over land to the west; the planes are not armed, can they ram, and who has the authority to give that command...the command is given but not relayed to the pilots.

The above comment is inaccurate as far as the real events happened. All fighters scrambled that morning were fully armed. They were scrambled as soon as the word got to NORAD from the civilian sector. The only two bases that scrambled fighters were Otis and Langley. The Otis jets went supersonic, direct to NYC and arrived on station just after the second plane hit. The three Langley jets were scrambled with no flight plan orders and did exactly what they were supposed to do. They went to a holding area over the Atlantic Ocean before being vectored to D.C. There are two things most civilians don't know...(1) The F-16's out of Langley would not have prevented the Pentagon attack and (2) The Russian Navy was conducting the largest naval exercise they've done since the cold war and it was for a few minutes thought there might have been a cruise missle attack underway.

tjc2

Sun May 14, 2006 12:47 am

Good post Socal, very informative.

but we did have, unknown to us until informed by the controller, an F-16 right on our tail, but we never saw him.

is there a blindspot on radar or is the F-16 'stealth'?

Anyone know when this film is released in the UK?
The only time I made a mistake was when I thought I was wrong...

Junior747

Sun May 14, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Checksixx (Reply 26):
The Russian Navy was conducting the largest naval exercise they've done since the cold war and it was for a few minutes thought there might have been a cruise missle attack underway.

Interesting...I never heard about that. Thanks for the info Checksixx!

Regards,

Junior
Pilot of 'Lady Guinness' - 9H-UMR

malmoaviation

Sun May 14, 2006 1:29 am

Thank you for this review, Socalfive. I'm going to see this movie when they release it in Sweden, and I do it for the victims, the USA and for the fighting against radical Muslim terrorism. I still remember that afternoon (CET) when I heard about it.. It changed the whole world. Rest in Peace, brothers and sisters.

waukewan

Sun May 14, 2006 4:37 am

Thanks for the post, very interesing review!

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 8):
However, not sure I'd want to play the role of the terrorists!

I've heard that one of the actors playing a terrorist was denied entrance into the United States!

chrisnh

Sun May 14, 2006 4:52 am

I just saw 'United 93' today and I had tears in my eyes at the end. It was more gut-wrenching than I thought it would be. It's been said before, but the people on Flight 93 were akin to the Minutemen in Concord, Massachusetts with the 'Shot heard round the world.' That was our first shot, against terrorism. Yes, the plane crashed. But we won. Clearly, we won. The terrorists kept chanting 'God willing! God willing!' Well, on that 757 on that day, God wasn't willing.

Factual nit-picks were the 'new' United signage with the new logo, which clearly came out later. Same with a 'new' UPS plane at Newark. Finally, Boston Center was identified as being in Boston when in fact it's not far from where I live...in Nashua, NH.

Chris in NH

georgiaame

Sun May 14, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 11):
I think Americans need to be cognizant of the rise of fundamentalism (of a different brand) in our own country and its negative and destructive effects

Yeah, those maniacal Christians are bombing shopping malls every day, cutting off the heads of Jews and Moslem non believers, and flying aircraft into tall buildings whenever they can on the planet. It sure is time someone called to our attention just how negative and dangerous those Christians really are.

As a proud non-Christian, let me say I would rather fly or sit down at at dinner table with one of our American bred Fundamentalists any day than one your peace loving buddies.

I got the E-mail from a friend, and while I was expecting the film to be tree-hugger's wet dream of political correctness, I am pleased to find out that I was wrong. Just goes to show what happens when you draw conclusions from emotions and your own fantasy world, rather than reality.

But I'm still not going to see it. Too many family members came much too close to being slaughtered on that day. I just make sure that every 9/11, one very large American Flag hangs from my door. I don't need Hollywood, of all places, reminding me of what really happened on that day.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

zvezda

Sun May 14, 2006 5:04 am

A former engineer with the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission named James Skrove told me that during the 1970s, the NRC vehemently and repeatedly objected to the FAA's policy of cooperating with highjackers. The NRC argued that highjacker/terrorists might try to fly a widebody into the containment dome of a reactor at full throttle. He told me that the FAA viciously ridiculed the NRC over this.

ps: He told me that the reactor containment domes are engineered to withstand the accidental impact of a JumboJet at landing speeds, but would be obliterated by a deliberate ramming at full throttle.

star_world

Sun May 14, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting Tjc2 (Reply 27):

is there a blindspot on radar or is the F-16 'stealth'?

Airliners don't have a radar of the type you might imagine - just a forward-facing weather radar. There is a TCAS display that shows transponder returns, but it's entirely possible that an F-16 wouldn't be transmitting a signal visible on TCAS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos