Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Indonesia Volcano Eurption Fear-flight Changes?

Sat May 13, 2006 10:20 pm

Mt Merapi, an active volcano in Indonesia, is apparently approaching an eurption any hour now. Already, people in the area of Mt. Marapi have fled away from the area. With the well know risks of volcano eruptions and their dust as to aircraft, have there been any announced changes or cancellations of flights in or around Indonesia and the region?

stirling

RE: Indonesia Volcano Eurption Fear-flight Changes?

Sat May 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Right now the gas plumes are rising to 800m/2600ft above Mt Merapi, or about 3700m/12000ft asl (above sea level). So far satellite imagery does not show any ash....that is the stuff that can play havoc on a turbine engine.

That as of yet is not going to impact much airline traffic, at this point they can go around....but Merapi is one of Indonesia's and the world's most active volcanoes....in a very densely populated region....around the major city of Yogyakarta.

Right now the biggest danger comes from shallow earthquakes, landslides and rock-falls.....still, Merapi is on Alert Level 3, (on a scale of 1-4) as per the *VAAC in Darwin. (*Volcanic Ash Advisory Center)

HB-IWC

Sun May 14, 2006 2:29 am

Yogyakarta's Adi Sucipto international airport is at spitting distance of Mount Merapi and operations there have been affected for a while now. Garuda's operations into JOG are in limbo for tomorrow as are operations to Solo's Adi Sumarmo International, which is further away but still in the danger zone. Apart from that, flights plans for flights crossing Java, such as anything between Jakarta and Surabaya and Denpasar Bali, have been adjusted. We'll see what happens in the morning but as it looks now JOG flights should not operate.

mandala499

Sat May 27, 2006 4:27 pm

Not many volcanic diversions made the news... but...

This morning JOG was hit by a 57 second long 5.9 quake... Terminal collapsed, all flights into and out of JOG cancelled (only 1 GA flight made it out before the quake hit)... A few trapped planes there.

All flights now diverted to Solo and Semarang.

I guess JOG needs a rebuild now... perhaps until after Merapi gives out its full blow...

Mandala499

Zkpilot

Sat May 27, 2006 6:08 pm

I was on NZ 81 the other day AKL-SIN we flew past it...
heres the pic from the cockpit..
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
is mentioned in NOTAMS but otherwise so far no major disruptions.

drinkstrolley

Sat May 27, 2006 6:09 pm

Anyone remember the BA 747 which flew through volcanic ash and all four engines stopped?

HB-IWC

Sat May 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 3):
This morning JOG was hit by a 57 second long 5.9 quake... Terminal collapsed, all flights into and out of JOG cancelled (only 1 GA flight made it out before the quake hit)... A few trapped planes there.

The main problem seems to be the damaged runway rather that the collapsed terminal building right now. A temporary airport building can easily be set up, but reports were are getting here indicate serious damage to the runway. If that is indeed the case, we shouldn't expect JOG to reopen any time soon. All Garuda flights from Jakarta and Denpasar to Bali are being diverted to Solo for the time being. We may see some GA widebodies operating into SOC in the upcoming days.

keno

Sat May 27, 2006 7:31 pm

I flew on Air Asia's Solo-KUL on 16 May, just a day after the first major eruption of Merapi. Frankly I was a bit worried if the flight path would be dangerously too close to the action...

View of Merapi near Borobudur, 15 May @ 9:35am.

HB-IWC

Sat May 27, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting KEno (Reply 7):
I flew on Air Asia's Solo-KUL on 16 May, just a day after the first major eruption of Merapi. Frankly I was a bit worried if the flight path would be dangerously too close to the action...

From what I know, there were some specific approach procedures in place, and in any case, Solo's Adi Sumarmo International Airport is further away from Mount Merapi than Jogjakarta's Adi Sucipto International. Nice pic of Merapi though. Let us know when you're dropping by next time!

mandala499

Sat May 27, 2006 7:44 pm

HB-IWC,
How seriously damaged is the runway? I keep getting conflicting reports today. Is it seriously damaged or is it because of the lack of ATC facilities online after the quake or are they waiting for a more thorough inspection of the runway before making a decision?

Looks like SRG is going to be extra cramped over the coming days (perhaps the army should open its apron to civilian and aid traffic) and SOC's northern aprons might get used after all...

If there are aid flights, they're probably gonna go to SOC...

Mandala499

HB-IWC

Sat May 27, 2006 7:51 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 9):
How seriously damaged is the runway? I keep getting conflicting reports today. Is it seriously damaged or is it because of the lack of ATC facilities online after the quake or are they waiting for a more thorough inspection of the runway before making a decision?

The report I have in front of me talks about 'structural damage to the runway.' Your guess is as good as mine what that means exactly, and I have no clue as to who has actually carried out an inspection, if ever there was any, but as I see it, this runway is not ready to be used.

mandala499

Sat May 27, 2006 7:57 pm

ZKpilot, Just out of curiousity, did U take A576 or G222?

Merapi is just west of W17N between WARJ/JOG and WARQ/SOC/SO/SLO...

If that was on the left hand side of A576 between BLI and SBR than it's Semeru, the tallest and still active volcano...

Unless you flew over the Madiun restricted zone...

Keno, talking about SOC... some places in Solo got serious damage due to the quake...

Here's a few shots of Merapi taken by a local planespotter (Manda) while visiting JOG in the last 14 days...

A few friends who flew into JOG last week said it's just a bit "scary"...

Mandala499

Zkpilot

Sat May 27, 2006 8:45 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 11):
If that was on the left hand side of A576 between BLI and SBR than it's Semeru, the tallest and still active volcano...

It was on the left hand side...
I was just on the flightdeck for the flight and took the pics... I was not flying the plane and wasn't looking at the charts sorry... AKL-(overhead BNE)-SIN FL380 thats all I know sorry. Looked interesting from the air... we were trying to climb to FL400 but ATC declined both us and Skippy(QF) in front from climbing for reasons unknown.

CaliforniaMate

Sun May 28, 2006 12:20 am

I was at Jogyakarta airport this past Saturday flying JOG-DPS on Wings Air flight. Kinda scary to think that the airport terminal I was waiting in not too long ago has now collapsed. As for Merapi, it was not too frightening since it has calmed down a little bit since the previous warnings of eruptions. On my way to Borobudur, I could see smoke coming down the side of the mountain, but nothing that threatented airport operations.

mandala499

Sun May 28, 2006 12:48 am

Was the Wings experience more scary than Merapi?

As for the terminal... not a total collapse, but the boarding gates are history unfortunately...

Mandala499

HB-IWC

Sun May 28, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting Californiamate (Reply 13):
I was at Jogyakarta airport this past Saturday flying JOG-DPS on Wings Air flight. Kinda scary to think that the airport terminal I was waiting in not too long ago has now collapsed.

You should have been much more scared about flying Wings Air than about any immediate risk from Merapi or an earthquake. If you look at the long list of recent incidents with this airline, you will see that your odds of getting involved in some kind of calamity are much greater by flying Wings, or many other Indonesian airline companies for that matter.

baroque

Sun May 28, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 3):
This morning JOG was hit by a 57 second long 5.9 quake..

FWIW The US Geological Survey is listing the main quake at 6.3. Details are on
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/usneb6.php

Briefly: Magnitude 6.3 (Strong) Date-Time
� Friday, May 26, 2006 at 22:54:02 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
� Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 5:54:02 AM
= local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones Location 7.977�S, 110.318�E Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
20 km (15 miles) SSW of Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia

There were two smaller aftershocks, both just over magnitude 4.

All were surprisingly shallow and close to Yogyakarta, usually they are deeper and some distance out at sea. So the big one was quite nasty and far too close to the City for comfort. Has there been any damage at Borobodur or at Prambanan?

mandala499

Sun May 28, 2006 1:02 pm

Well, that's the odd thing. The National Meterological and Geophysical Agency here stated a 5.9... but I saw that USGS reading of 6.3

One thing for sure, it's somewhere between 5.9 and 6.3...

HB-IWC, any updates on flightops to JOG? I hear SOC is getting crowded...

Mandala499

HB-IWC

Sun May 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
Has there been any damage at Borobodur or at Prambanan?

Some pictures in this morning's Jakarta Post indicate that both temples have been hit, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, repair works at Jogjakarta's runway have started last night, but it is still unclear when the airport will reopen. Most JOG bound flights are diverted to Solo's Adi Sumarmo International airport, from where Jogjakarta can under normal circumstances be reached within an hour or so.

CaliforniaMate

Sun May 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Flying Wings Air was alright, although I was a bit skeptical on flying domestically in Indonesia. It was between an old Wings Air MD82 or an Adam Air 732 (or a Garuda Indonesia 734, but that wasn't adventurous enough for me). I knew flying domestically was a bit sketchy, but I didnt know it was bad enough to warrant those comments, better to know now than before otherwise I would have been freaking out. Service was alright on the plane, but the plane itself was falling apart. I think Merapi was less intimidating that the flight. Shame about the airport though.

keno

Sun May 28, 2006 5:49 pm

Our Indonesian friends may have more updated news on JOG airport's latest repair work, but the local news agency reported last night:

http://www.antara.co.id/seenws/?id=34567 (in Bahasa only)

Brief translation: JOG airport repair work could finish by Sunday morning to allow relief flights to land. Any latest updates?

Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
Has there been any damage at Borobodur or at Prambanan?

http://www.antara.co.id/seenws/?id=34566 (in Bahasa only)

Brief translation: Brahma temple at Prambanan (one of the biggest ones) suffered major damage and have to be torn down and re-built which may take 2 years to restore.

HB-IWC

Sun May 28, 2006 6:06 pm

Quoting KEno (Reply 20):
Brief translation: JOG airport repair work could finish by Sunday morning to allow relief flights to land. Any latest updates?

JOG is not yet up and running as per 4 p.m. local time, and all Garuda traffic has been diverted to Solo International for the rest of the day. I am sceptic as to the chances of JOG being operational tomorrow. The runway is said to have very large cracks, and I don't think one can solve that problem by simply pooring some cement inside.

Quoting Californiamate (Reply 19):
Flying Wings Air was alright, although I was a bit skeptical on flying domestically in Indonesia. It was between an old Wings Air MD82 or an Adam Air 732

You are a very courageous man, but in future I wouldn't repeat such foolhardy deeds and stick with Garuda just like the rest of us.

baroque

Sun May 28, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting Californiamate (Reply 19):
I think Merapi was less intimidating that the flight.

Sometimes a lack of information is more worrying than the problem itself. I remember circling Husen Sastranegara Airport in Bandung aboard a CN235. After about 3 circuits and an obvious 200m pass over the tower (what could that be for!!), they finally told us that the undercarriage locked lights had not come on. So we came in to a strip flanked by fire engines. The landing was just fine, so of course we then taxied round as if all was normal and the fire engines tootled back to whence they came. Normal service had been resumed.

Bouraq and their HS748s were my favourite for interesting journeys.

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 17):
somewhere between 5.9 and 6.3.

I think the first posting by the USGS was 6.2, but I did not save it, so now I am not sure. The depth is unusual for onshore Jawa and that is what has caused the problem. If it had been at the more usual 100km+ deep at that distance from the plate boundary, it would not have caused a problem. So it may be related to the latest eruption phase of Merapi. The volcano is extensively instrumented, so we will eventually learn what is going on.

I am beginning to wonder exactly where the earthquake focus was. The USGS 10 degree map shows it just offshore, but the more detailed USGS maps all show it onshore.

Sad that there appears to be damage to the temples. Just hope it does not presage a violent episode from Gunung Merapi. But it is a disaster for the city of Yogyakarta.

HB-IWC

Mon May 29, 2006 4:31 pm

Despite all the efforts and promises, as of 14.00LT, Jogjakarta's Adi Sucipto International Airport has still not reopened. Garuda's entire JOG operation continues to run through Solo's International Airport.

mandala499

Tue May 30, 2006 1:06 am

More conflicting news...
Detik.com reported this morning that a GA 737 landed in JOG this morning, but available runway length is limited.

Adam Air and Mandala reportedly recommenced JOG.

However, nothing from sources in JOG itself.

I'll take HB-IWC's version...

Mandala499

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos