Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PHLBOS

RE: US Airways / Piedmont Livery Unveiled!

Wed May 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 49):
Anyone here think they should paint an Airbus in the 80s USAir scheme???

Probably........NOT!

Quoting Stirling (Reply 44):
The A319 just looks pudgy to me

Similar was said about the 732 when it rolled out; it was dubbed as the Pig Plane.

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 42):
Im still waiting for the Mohawk and Lake Central versions....

Since those mergers/name changes took place before September 1979 (when Allegheny became USAir); those versions will be most likely be filed in the Wishful Thinking category.

Quoting Rampart (Reply 46):
I noticed that as well on the earlier image, and knew that the "A320" in Boeing's type font and corporate livery from the 1980s would ruffle some feathers if it appeared on an Airbus retrojet. Someone (like us) must have picked up on the faux pas, probably the result of a graphic artist without an appreciation for aviation trademarks.

1. First & foremost, since the PI-retro scheme was applied to the A319 and not the originally planned A320, the A320-200 in Boeing type applied to that particular plane would've been factually wrong.

2. IIRC, not all PI planes (even the Boeings) had the plane type prominently listed on the tail. Only the 767s in full PI-livery had the plane type listed on the tails on every plane.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerard Helmer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

3. Since Boeing still uses that type of font on their plane labels, logos, stationary, etc.; the last thing HP/US wants is a possible trademark/copyright infringement lawsuit filed against them... especially when it's being applied to an aircraft manufactured by its competitor.

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 45):
the US Airways title is going to be displayed on all retro schemes, even though the tail logo, and paint job are retro.

That's probably because the name of the present airline is still US Airways. If the retro name(s) are shown larger than the actual airline name; it may confuse the not-so-frequent traveler. The Star Alliance schemes are an exception to this because there has never been a carrier called Star Alliance Airlines.

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 17):
On the PI plane, they should at least make the "US Airways" titles red, in keeping with PI's red titles. Same with the Allegheny one, as AL's titles were also red.

So was HP's titles, although theirs was more of a fiery red/orange.

That would be one supplemental adjustment, have the US Airways titles on 3 of the 4 Heritage planes done in red.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

lgbflttrainer

Thu May 18, 2006 12:12 am

Ok...so, I guess I'm in the minority regarding these planes.

First: I LOVE that US came up with this idea for some of their aircraft.

BUT...

Neither the PSA, nor the Piedmont planes look like their original counterparts. The PSA's smile was WAY too thin, plus the colors were nowhere near as detailed as the original PSA (in ANY of their schemes) was.

As for the Piedmont, the blue is WAY too light...plus, it looks like they added dirt/exhaust smudges along the fuselage.

You would think SOMEONE at USAirways/AmericaWest would have done a bit more research on how to make these planes look a bit more authentic, rather than simply doing what they thought looked like them...

Nice try, US...but you didn't pull it off.
Overt enthusiast...like that's a BAD thing?

N405MX

Thu May 18, 2006 12:17 am

Richard, great picture, congratulations  bigthumbsup 
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

WesternA318

Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 am

I believe the smile was widened, and the Allegheny logo made larger by now...

tothestars

Thu May 18, 2006 1:42 am

I love the idea of the heritage planes but It is a shame that they couldnt get the liveries right the first time....How much time and money will they spend repainting this one?
I'd love to see AA do a tribute TWA plane with the last livery, but God knows what that one would look like.
TWA-Airline To the Stars

miamix707

Thu May 18, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 42):
Im still waiting for the Mohawk and Lake Central versions....

Is that a wish of yours or are we actually going to see those eventually?  Smile

pillowtester

Thu May 18, 2006 1:54 am

Wow, I love it! Some of you are being very nit-picky. I think it's great US Airways is giving us this awesome chance to see some fresh liveries flying into our airports!
MÜVI Patient Education is the first 4K dental patient education video system. If you are looking for patient education videos for dentists or want to play dental videos in your waiting room, discover what MÜVI can do for your practice!

cltguy

Thu May 18, 2006 1:55 am

This just in...USAirways will be repainting the Piedmont Heritage plane with a darker blue cheatline to match the planes from the 80s and will hold a dedication ceremony in late June.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14601601.htm

antoniemey

Thu May 18, 2006 2:13 am

I still think that if they insist on having the US Airways name prominent (Which I can completely understand the reasoning of), they should put it in the type face used for the original livery... especially on the America West heritage plane... that thing just looks, well, plane... the other's aren't as bad, especially since they all have the airline name on the tail, so it is on the A/C somewhere.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

frugalqxnwa

Thu May 18, 2006 2:43 am

The PI blue may be too light, and the PSA colors might be off (I didn't notice this and think the PSA colors are fine), but does anyone here know how extremely difficult it is to match colors 20 years after the fact when no plane wears those colors anymore? The paint mix is going to be different no matter what they do to correct the colors.

RiddlePilot215

Thu May 18, 2006 2:59 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 49):
Anyone here think they should paint an Airbus in the 80s USAir scheme??? Smile

You mean the 5 different US-Scare I mean USAir schemes at the time. I can remember the bare metal finish, with the red tail, the maroon tail, the blue/ teal tail, the bare metal tail, grey tail....or that blue tail with the red horizontal stripes....
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

7e72004

Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 am

I mean this one
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

:D
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

comairguycvg

Thu May 18, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 50):
Only the 767s in full PI-livery had the plane type listed on the tails on every plane.

https://www.airliners.net/open.file/0468430/L/
Nope...some 737's had the plane type on the tail.
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

PHLBOS

Thu May 18, 2006 4:15 am

Bold emphasis added:

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 50):
not all PI planes (even the Boeings) had the plane type prominently listed on the tail. Only the 767s in full PI-livery had the plane type listed on the tails on every plane.

Quoting ComairGuyCVG (Reply 62):

https://www.airliners.net/open.file/0468430/L/
Nope...some 737's had the plane type on the tail.

You misunderstood my earlier quote. I was saying that only the PI 767s (in full livery) had the plane type listed on EVERY plane. I am very well aware that some 737s had the markings.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

access-air

Thu May 18, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting PillowTester (Reply 56):
Wow, I love it! Some of you are being very nit-picky. I think it's great US Airways is giving us this awesome chance to see some fresh liveries flying into our airports!

No Im not being too picky....If they are going to do this kind of thing, they have all the paint scheme help they can get from this website....so making errors with these planes is no excuse.

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 58):
still think that if they insist on having the US Airways name prominent (Which I can completely understand the reasoning of), they should put it in the type face used for the original livery..

I definately agree here....that would give each paint scheme a bigger punch.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 55):
Is that a wish of yours or are we actually going to see those eventually?

Yes, unfortunately it is just a wish....The Mohawk or Lake Central schemes will never figure into this retro stuff altho it should.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

comairguycvg

Thu May 18, 2006 4:30 am

Sorry PHLBOS, now that I re-read, I see what you mean. I guess the 2 737 pics you posted without the plane type on the tail threw me off. They should have just been consistent and put the plane type on every PI plane huh?
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

DAYflyer

Thu May 18, 2006 4:32 am

Cool looking to see the old Peidmont colors in the air again!
One Nation Under God

dl021

Thu May 18, 2006 4:47 am

Brings back good memories. I loved Piedmont as an airline....the service was always good, and I flew them from turboprops to 767s.

Quoting Spartanmjf (Reply 21):
Piedmont: The Model Of How Good An Airline Can Be!

Absolutely.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

icebird757

Thu May 18, 2006 5:25 am

I don't care for it. The blue looks all wrong and the titles should be in red. Oh well....
I kick chocks

stirling

Thu May 18, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 64):
The Mohawk or Lake Central schemes will never figure into this retro stuff

As much as I, an airline enthusiast would love to see that, most of your average, ordinary airline passengers that would remember Mohawk or Lake Central....presently, either have Alzheimers, or are dead.

Besides, the Lake Central scheme wasn't all that great to begin with.
The Mohawk colors on the other hand were beautiful!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jean-Pierre Bonin
View Large View Medium

Photo © John Kelley

And then the "Mod-Look":

View Large View Medium

Photo © George W. Hamlin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

Delete this User

access-air

Thu May 18, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 69):
As much as I, an airline enthusiast would love to see that, most of your average, ordinary airline passengers that would remember Mohawk or Lake Central....presently, either have Alzheimers, or are dead.

LOL...could be....LOL........

I still think that they should use them.

In the case if Northwest Airlines was going to do the same thing, they would have to paint some of their DC9s in the colours of North Central, Southern, Hughes Airwest, Bonanza, West Coast and Pacific and of course Republic.....Those would nice...My fave out of these was the Southern Airways colours with the simple blue cheat going up the tail and the triple S logo on the tail in white...But then who could forget Herman...of North Central?? Local service airlines were so cool....and Actually Ironically USAirways is the only one left survivng today out of them....All the rest have been merged or shut down...
Oh well...
We shall see...

Cheers, Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

WesternA318

Thu May 18, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 70):
In the case if Northwest Airlines was going to do the same thing, they would have to paint some of their DC9s in the colours of North Central, Southern, Hughes Airwest, Bonanza, West Coast and Pacific and of course Republic.....Those would nice...My fave out of these was the Southern Airways colours with the simple blue cheat going up the tail and the triple S logo on the tail in white...But then who could forget Herman...of North Central?? Local service airlines were so cool....and Actually Ironically USAirways is the only one left survivng today out of them....All the rest have been merged or shut down...
Oh well...
We shall see...

I'd die to see a Southern or Hughes AirWest or simply AirWest or Bonanza A319....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos