Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

juventus
Topic Author

DFW About To Get Mexicana Back?

Thu May 18, 2006 10:28 pm

DFW officials are offering Mexicana more incentives to get the carrier back to DFW Int'l.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...s.ART.State.Edition1.1da13eaa.html

commavia

RE: DFW About To Get Mexicana Back?

Thu May 18, 2006 10:39 pm

Today's Dallas Morning News states that the announcement will likely be made today -- MX returning to D/FW with double daily service to MEX. MX will apparently make great use of the massive amount of AA codeshare fliying to feed these flights, which should definitely help them. The article also discussed MX's likely taking advantage of the new D/FW airline incentive program that was just expanded and improved a few weeks ago. The article tends to hint that the previous MX schedule to GDL/MLM/ZCL was killed because of the CUN charters. The scheduled flights from MLM/ZCL used to arrive in D/FW early in the morning and return late at night, with the plane doing a daily charter rotation to CUN during the day, but the article states that the bottom fell out from under the CUN charter after the hurricans hit the Yucutan.

If true, this should be good, as AA has cut back considerably on the route in recent years, and is now down to just five daily flights. Hopefully, if MX is successful on DFW-MEX, maybe MLM, ZCL and GDL will return, and perhaps even more new routes.

juventus
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2006 12:01 am

In my opinion, DFW, ATL, and PHX deserve two Mexican airlines.

Austin, TX is also interested in Mexicana airlines.

ERJ170

Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 am

I would be happy if RDU could just get one.. using a 70-100 seat aircraft.. there intra-city and a x weekly to CUN? Is that too much to ask for?
Aiming High and going far..

ERJ170

Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 am

I would be happy if RDU could just get one.. using a 70-100 seat aircraft.. there intra-city and a x weekly to CUN? Is that too much to ask for?

Perhaps share the x weekly with MSY.. so between RDU & MSY.. it runs daily?? Just another thought
Aiming High and going far..

drerx7

Fri May 19, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 2):
In my opinion, DFW, ATL, and PHX deserve two Mexican airlines.

Why do they deserve them? I am shocked those cities are having a hard time keep Mexican service--even with the fortress hubs of their respective airlines.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

ssides

Fri May 19, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 5):
Why do they deserve them? I am shocked those cities are having a hard time keep Mexican service--even with the fortress hubs of their respective airlines.

Both AM and MX have undergone a massive restructuring in an attempt to regain profitability, and that's part of the reason they've avoided these markets. The fact is, there's a lot more US-Mexico traffic originating in the US than in Mexico. Therefore, airlines like AA have pretty much cornered the market by catering to their native frequent fliers. In addition, CO has developed a great regional network in Mexico, allowing it to capture a lot of O&D traffic to other Mexican cities.

Add that to the fact that AM and MX have lesser-developed international networks, and it's easy to see why they've avoided such markets.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

king

Fri May 19, 2006 12:39 am

As for returning carriers to DFW, I hear Champion is returning (maybe just seasonal service?).

juventus
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 5):
Why do they deserve them? I am shocked those cities are having a hard time keep Mexican service--even with the fortress hubs of their respective airlines

WHY? because of the large Hispanic populations that reside in those cities. You don't have to agree with me, after all this is a discussion, but I think Mexicana could fill an Airbus from ATL/PHX to MEX, CUN or GDL.

commavia

Fri May 19, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting King (Reply 7):
As for returning carriers to DFW, I hear Champion is returning (maybe just seasonal service?).

I thought Champion ditched DFW because the cost of using Terminal D was too high? What changed?

ssides

Fri May 19, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 8):
WHY? because of the large Hispanic populations that reside in those cities. You don't have to agree with me, after all this is a discussion, but I think Mexicana could fill an Airbus from ATL/PHX to MEX, CUN or GDL.

Ahhh, the argument that never seems to end.

Business traffic, not familial ties, drives air service. Period. These are the people who pay big bucks to fly. MX would rather fly an Airbus with an empty coach section and full first-class seats rather than a coach section full of people who paid $200 for their ticket. As luck would also have it, the high-paying business customers are also more willing to fly AA, DL, or HP to Mexico than MX or AM, because they are often high-level frequent flyers.

There may be 1,000,000 people of Mexican descent in these areas, but that doesn't mean they will all pay big bucks to fly to Mexico.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

commavia

Fri May 19, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Ssides (Reply 10):
Business traffic, not familial ties, drives air service. Period.

Not always, and certainly not always in the U.S.-Mexico market. Do you honestly think there is enough "business traffic" to support daily nonstop Mexicana flights from Morelia, Mexico nonstop to Chicago O'Hare? Or from Sacramento to Guadalajara? Or from Los Angeles to Leon? No way. These markets are all immensely successful because of VFR (visiting friends and relatives) traffic and the traffic flow from migrant and cross-border workers. I agree with you that business traffic is important in general in the airline business, but it's not always everything. In select markets, like certain U.S.-Mexico routes, flights to Haiti, the Dominican Republic, etc., VFR traffic produces the bulk of the demand, and, in all of the cases above and many others, that VFR traffic is exceedingly high-yield because of the lack of viable low-fare alternatives.

king

Fri May 19, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 9):
I thought Champion ditched DFW because the cost of using Terminal D was too high? What changed?

I don't know what's changed. A meeting was held with the head of the TSA and airline managers at DFW (which actually took place in terminal D) a couple of days. I was told by a person who went to the meeting that Aeromexico and Champion are returning to DFW.

king

Fri May 19, 2006 4:47 am

The person who went to the meeting may have been confused with MX and AM, but they did mention Champion was returning.

ucunnn

Fri May 19, 2006 5:19 am

Yes MX already is scheduled flying back to DFW. MEX-DFW the route. July this year.
Expect PHX later... which is already authorized for MX.

drerx7

Fri May 19, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 8):

Oh no--I agree with you I just wanted to hear a little more explanation as to your reasons why they deserve to have them. Even though my home airport is IAH, I've always thought ATL, PHX, and DFW should be able to more than support these flights--as evidenced by the press release that MX is returning.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

juventus
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting Ucunnn (Reply 14):
Expect PHX later... which is already authorized for MX.

To see Mexicana at Phoenix would be a great thing. I hope you're right....

NikonDFW

Fri May 19, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting King (Reply 13):

Both Aeromexico and Champion will serve DFW this summer on behalf of Funjet Vacations. I think AM will be using a 737-700 to various mexican resorts, pretty much what Mexicana did last summer with their A319's.

ghost77

Fri May 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Wonderful news from MX! Looking forward to PHX and the other new destinations!

g77 APM

JOSEMEX

Fri May 19, 2006 1:09 pm

Didn't MX already serve AUS a couple of years ago?

N405MX

Fri May 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting JoseMEX (Reply 19):
Didn't MX already serve AUS a couple of years ago?

It was served by Aerocaribe (QA) remember time ago the AUS-MEX flight landed at MTY because MEX was closed.

Here are the MX scheds, they´ll begin with MEX only:

MX842 MEX-DFW 08:25-11:05
MX844 MEX-DFW 11:50-14:30

MX843 DFW-MEX 12:05-14:40
MX845 DFW-MEX 15:30-18:05

Saludos
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

commavia

Fri May 19, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting N405MX (Reply 20):
Here are the MX scheds

Those are timed virtually perfectly to fit into AA's existing MEX-DFW schedule of 5x daily MD80 service. Hopefully the route goes well for MX, and they'll keep growing at DFW!

LatinPlane

Sat May 20, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting Ssides (Reply 10):
Business traffic, not familial ties, drives air service. Period. These are the people who pay big bucks to fly. MX would rather fly an Airbus with an empty coach section and full first-class seats rather than a coach section full of people who paid $200 for their ticket. As luck would also have it, the high-paying business customers are also more willing to fly AA, DL, or HP to Mexico than MX or AM, because they are often high-level frequent flyers.

There may be 1,000,000 people of Mexican descent in these areas, but that doesn't mean they will all pay big bucks to fly to Mexico.

Right. This is why New Mexico has very little connections with Mexico. Just because some people are of Mexican descent doesn't mean that they need to speak Spanish, or have any connection to Mexico.

BUT, where large concentrations of first and second generations exist, you'll see a close pattern like the example that was recently experienced in Fresno. MX, which recently inagurated the Guadalajara - Fresno route has reported an average 98% load factor, one of the company's best performers. The area in the San Joaquin Valley never before had service to Mexico, so travelers--specifically VFR--wanting to fly to Mexico had to either drive about four hours down to Southern California, or three and half hours up Nothern California. I looked up Mexicana's round trip fare for this route directly from their website and this is what I came up with:

Fares in US Dollars
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passenger Price, per Person,Taxes: Total
Adult Adult $489.00 $96.14 $585.14

Grand Total: $585.14

Flight Number Date Departure time and airport Arrival time and airport Operated By Stops

135 Jun 16, 2006 FAT 1:30 AM GDL 6:50 AM Non-stop

134 Jun 23, 2006 GDL 8:55 PM FAT 10:35 PM Non-

--------------------------------------------------------

So, as you can see, this is not what you would say a low-yield route. And this is generally the case with most of the VFR U.S.-Mexico routes.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

commavia

Sat May 20, 2006 5:38 am

ciccone

Sat May 20, 2006 11:01 am

It's too close to SAT for MX to operate this route.
A318 A319 A320 A321 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 739 752 762 763 772 DC9 DC10 DHC8 E120 E145 E170 MD80 MD90 F100 CRJ CR7 CR9

juventus
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Ciccone (Reply 24):
It's too close to SAT for MX to operate this route.

Agree.

MX and AC used to serve this airport. The airport's officials are trying get them back, but probably won't happen. They should go after Aviacsa or Azteca for that matter..

FATFlyer

Mon May 22, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 22):
MX, which recently inagurated the Guadalajara - Fresno route has reported an average 98% load factor, one of the company's best performers.

Yep, the Fresno route is driven by the friends and family crowd.

Don't forget after only 2 months the route has also seen the equipment increased in size.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

MaartenV

Mon May 22, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 23):
The official DFW Airport press release:

In their statement DFW claims that these flights will add $60 million to the north Texas economy annually.
How did they come to this conclusion, I can see that new flights bring money to an economy, but isn't $60 million a bit to much?
Its all about supply and demand...

commavia

Mon May 22, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting MaartenV (Reply 27):
How did they come to this conclusion, I can see that new flights bring money to an economy, but isn't $60 million a bit to much?

Probably not, because adding new Mexicana flights won't only lead to more new jobs directly tied to the new service, but also to more money for local DFW catering companies, fuel suppliers, inflight linen suppliers, and on and on, not to mention all the trade and commerce that will be exchanged through Mexicana flights, and tourism the flights will generate from Mexicana FFs in MEX and around Mexico using these new flights to fly either to DFW, or through DFW onward to hundreds of cities around the globe, and the subsequent requisite benefits for local hotels, restaurants, retailers, merchants, vendors, etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos