Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EWRCabincrew

RE: Emergency Landing On Water - The Slides

Mon May 22, 2006 7:46 am

I just checked our safety information cards.

The exact location in the window is not shown, but if you look closely they are shown attached to the wing from the corresponding window frame.

737-300/500/700/800/900 - check frames 3 and 4 on the back panel dealing with ditchings.

Cheers
You can't cure stupid

tommybp251b

Mon May 22, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 7):
Also, wasn't there a crash where an aircraft took off but ice in his wings brought him down into a river. The aircraft held together pretty well and many passengers and crew survived.

Do you mean Air Florida from Washington Reagan National to MIA? Just 3 or 4 survived.
Tom from Cologne

american762

Mon May 22, 2006 8:11 am

I was under the impression that most airliners were designed, if ditched correctly, to float for several minutes on the water, considering calm seas. But points that say that any aircraft that hits water is absolutely doomed and will break up guaranteed is an ignorant answer with no backing to it what-so-ever.

-AA762
Pan Am has a place of its' own. You call it the world, we call it home.

seanp11

Mon May 22, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting American762 (Reply 52):
I was under the impression that most airliners were designed, if ditched correctly, to float for several minutes on the water, considering calm seas. But points that say that any aircraft that hits water is absolutely doomed and will break up guaranteed is an ignorant answer with no backing to it what-so-ever.

An airplane is a airfilled container, with the wings that are either filled with air or Jet-A, which is lighter than water. I would put my money on it floating for long enough for it to get evacuated, as long as it is ditched properly, with no holes in it.

All the naysayers are basing their opinion on the footage of the hijacked 767 crashing into the water. Hopefully, in a real ditching situation, the pilot will not be fighting with terrorists.

Fly2HMO

Mon May 22, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting Seanp11 (Reply 53):
All the naysayers are basing their opinion on the footage of the hijacked 767 crashing into the water.

Precisely. there's plenty of pictures of succesfully ditched planes that are pretty much intact.

I'm too lazy to search for them though, but I've seen them.  angel 

supa7E7

Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 am

Ditching may work well every time, but the case for their use almost never happens. If you have no engines, you usually have other problems too. Maybe hijackers, crazy pilots, acts of God, random explosions.

Basically, most crashes are not due to multiple engine failure or fuel starvation. In fact almost none are. So, very few lives are saved by rafts that are only useful in such cases where all engines fail, but flight control remains excellent. Those are highly rare cases.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

ShowerOfSparks

Mon May 22, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 26):
I remember in the late 60's a JL DC-8 ditched on arrival at SFO. I believe it was pilot error and he just landed short. The plane floated because it was in shallow water and I remember reading the worst injuries involved some wet feet. I'm sure this incident is in some log somewhere.

I seem to recall also a 727 which landed short in Pensacola I think it was. The aircraft was recovered and eventually returned to service if I remember correctly.

C133

Mon May 22, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 28):
Any aircraft with engines under its wings is pretty much doomed, unfortunately.

No time to read every word in all posts so apologies if this has been mentioned above.

All airplanes with wing mounted underslung engines are designed so that in case of a gear up landing (presumably to include ditching) the engines will NOT fold under the wing and rupture the fuel tanks, but flip upward in the hope of causing minimal damage to the wing and it's tanks. Look at the 737 picture in reply 30: The number one engine is definitely pointed up.

Doom is not engineered in these days. It usually must be worked at.
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

alaskaqantas

Mon May 22, 2006 4:55 pm

hello-
A question: what if you are sitting on the upper deck of a 747... or even now an A380!?!? Or what if you are a flight Attendant and you are sleeping in the upper part of the fuselage?

Also one small thing MD-80's could ditch over water, unlikely, but they could. Take for instance AS they fly from ANC-SEA.

I just watched AS flight 112 from ANC-SEA on flightview and it went over the water. Is there enough time to get over land to ditch if something goes wrong at cruising altitude? (although very rarely does something go wrong at cruising alt.)

A friend, who is a pilot, told me as long as conditions are good and you have control of the plane landing in the water isn't really to hard.

would you rather drop 25 into water or cement  duck  okay sure people and plane are a lot different, but still, with the right conditions landing isn't the REALLY BIG problem... staying afloat is the next step. As mentioned airplanes should stay up for a bit!

~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Markhkg

Mon May 22, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 58):
A question: what if you are sitting on the upper deck of a 747... or even now an A380!?!? Or what if you are a flight Attendant and you are sleeping in the upper part of the fuselage?

Passengers on a 747 must go down to the main deck to one of the slide/rafts (all doors except 3L and 3R). If they cannot, the absolute last resort is to slide down the upper deck slides into the water after they inflate their life-jackets.

On an A380, all upper-deck exits are, in fact, detachable and can be used as slide/rafts.

Since cabin crew are used during an emergency to the max, they probably wouldn't be sleeping in the crew rest area when an emergency is announced and a ditching planned.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos