Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FuzzyCub
Topic Author

Mojave Airport Tours

Tue May 23, 2006 1:49 am

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if Mojave Airport will let you tour the stored planes? If so, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EMBQA

RE: Mojave Airport Tours

Tue May 23, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting Fuzzycub (Thread starter):
Does anyone know if Mojave Airport will let you tour the stored planes? If so, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Most do not...a small few do. Try a quick search as there have been several informative threads on this very well covered subject.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

pgtravel

Tue May 23, 2006 4:04 am

Mojave does, in fact, let you take a tour. I've been twice on weekends, and you have to find the fueler. If he's not busy, he'll drive you around for I think $10 a person. (It's been a few months, so my memory is a bit hazy.) During the week, I believe you talk to airport mgmt.

FuzzyCub
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2006 4:39 am

Ah, great news! Everybody thinks I'm crazy, but I would love to walk around and check out the old planes!

BigOrange

Tue May 23, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting FuzzyCub (Reply 3):
Ah, great news! Everybody thinks I'm crazy, but I would love to walk around and check out the old planes!

They won't let you walk around. They take you round in a mini-van.

rootsair

Tue May 23, 2006 5:59 am

Its funny... i always thought you pronounced it
MOE- Jave

But I saw some video where they pronounce it
MOE-HA-VEE
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

pgtravel

Tue May 23, 2006 10:32 am

Ah, I see you're new. Welcome to a.net! You'll quickly find that nobody here will think you're crazy for wanting to check out old planes! Mojave isn't as good as it used to be, because there are a lot fewer planes there these days. It's still worth the visit.

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 5):
Its funny... i always thought you pronounced it
MOE- Jave

But I saw some video where they pronounce it
MOE-HA-VEE

Yup, the latter is correct. It was taken from the Mojave indian tribe, IIRC.

cio666

Tue May 23, 2006 3:59 pm

Luck was with me in '03 when I stopped by Mojave to have a look around. The regular tour guide was consumed with his other duties so there would be no tour that afternoon, but a friendly security guard offered to give my wife and I a quick ride around the hanger area ( but not the bone yard or the storage areas). Oh well, I'll take what I can get, I thought, not knowing how cool this would turn out to be. First, we got to walk around in some private hangers that housed vintage warbirds used in Hollywood movies, including a Mitsubishi Zero, a Huey Cobra and a WW2 German aircraft called a Storch, and aircraft owned by a military contractor ( BAE maybe? ) including Korean and Vietnam era jets like F-4s, an F-100, and one or two others. Finally, John, our security guard/tour guide, drove us to a Convair 990 owned by the airport and asked if we wanted to go inside. Well, of course! We were allowed as much time as we wanted to check out the inside of this retired airliner which included photos in the captains seat, playing with the controls in the amazingly intact cockpit, thumbing through the aircraft's manuals, checking out the interior compartments, etc. Heaven for an airliner geek like myself. Afterwards, we were allowed a full walk around of the exterior. It was only later that I found out that none of this is part of the regular tour which is a van ride around the grounds, and that a tour like ours was very rare indeed.

PizzaPolli

Tue May 23, 2006 4:44 pm

I just took a tour there about 2 months ago and it was amazing. You just go into the airport offices and see the fueler, and he will drive you around. He didn't really ask for a specific amount of money, so we just gave him like $25 or 30 (I figured I would go back, so a bigger tip would be better). We went all over the airport and he drove us where we wanted in the boneyard. There are several convairs out there (one in TWA livery) and lots of other really good stuff. You can't get right up next to the planes that are stored and not be broken up, but you can get close enough to get a good shot with a 200mm lens or better.

-Andrew

airtrainer

Tue May 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Welcome here and no, you're not crazy... or at least you're not the only one  Smile

Jef
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos