Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread: Part 19

Wed May 24, 2006 10:40 am

Air India in discussion to set up an exclusive terminal at BOM. Link:
http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/new...1088&dir=2006/05/23&secID=livenews

Quotes:
National flag carrier Air-India is in talks with GVK and GMR groups, developers of Mumbai and Delhi airport, for setting up of an exclusive terminal for the carrier, reports Business Standard.

Air-India Chairman and Managing Director Vasudevan Thualsidas, corroborated that the airline has indicated the GVK-SA consortium and GMR Fraport consortium for having an exclusive terminal for Air-India.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part 19

Wed May 24, 2006 10:45 am

Deccan Aviation IPO struggles to take off. Link:
http://www.ndtvprofit.com/homepage/news.asp?id=250670

Quotes:
An initial public offering by discount carrier Deccan Aviation has struggled to find takers, raising questions on the viability of the low-cost airline model in an increasingly crowded market. The offering, which closes on Tuesday, comprises a fresh issue of 24.55 million shares, or a quarter of the post-issue capital. It will raise as much as 4.3 billion rupees if priced at the top of 150-175 rupees per share range.

The Deccan issue was hit further by record declines on the stock market, but analysts were also wary of its business model. "The stock seems expensive given the inherent nature of low profitability and high capital intensity for the industry, especially during the current phase of rapid expansion," said Kalpesh Parekh, an analyst at ASK-RJ Securities.

Deccan, which launched its first flight in August 2003 with an ATR turboprop aircraft, has 30 planes flying to 55 destinations and just above 14 percent of the domestic market.

It posted a net loss of 195 million rupees in the year to March 2005 on revenue of 3.2 billion rupees. Analysts estimate the company will turn a profit in 2007/08.

The market in the long-term looks attractive, said Kapil Kaul, head of the Centre for Asia-Pacific Aviation in India."The next two years will be hard, but infrastructure will improve, policies will become more amenable, yields will improve, and there will be a premium on low-cost carriers," he said. "It's just unfortunate that the timing is bad now," he said.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2006 1:13 pm

Domestic flights to stay a dry affair. I will drink to that. Smile Link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1540878.cms

Quotes:
Eat, drink and be merry is only an old maxim for air passengers, especially in Delhi. While the Delhi government allowed a beer bar at the international airport several months back, the Airports Authority of India did nothing of that sort before handing over the place to a private consortium.

And the experience in air is no less dry. The government has all but set aside an airline - Kingfisher's - request to allow it to serve beer in flights.

"There is no move to relax the no-alcohol-on-domestic-flights rule as of now,"Union civil aviation minister Praful Patel said. A Kingfisher spokesperson said they wanted permission to serve beer cans. "Glass bottles can be broken and then used as a weapon. So we wanted to give cans,"she said.

To allow this, the government would need to change Aircraft Rules and there's no plan to do that.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2006 1:17 pm

Air Deccan IPO oversubscribed. Congratulations and all the best to Air Deccan. Link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1549738.cms

Quotes:
Deccan Aviation's IPO, which was scheduled to close on Tuesday, will now close on Friday. The company also lowered the price band for the IPO to Rs 146-175 from Rs 150-175 per share.

Though the IPO was fully subscribed at Rs 150, the company decided to reduce the lower price band by Rs 4 to Rs 146, a merchant banker for the IPO said. At the same time, many people could not bid for the shares due to the volatility in the stock markets.

"The issue has received a good response from investors. We decided to extend the date since many more may decide to participate with the markets calming down," the merchant banker said.

According to the latest data available on the National Stock Exchange (NSE) website, which provides information on the bids received at Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and NSE, against the 2.45 crore shares on offer, the company received bids for 2.72 crore shares - 111% of the offer size.

AirIndia

Wed May 24, 2006 1:47 pm

guys.... remember this new magazine Open Sky? They carried a short quiz in thier first issue.

I took part and won..... the first prize was a free return ticket to Taipei on China airlines Business Class..... so I am off to TPE.... dont know what can be done there though.....

Guru

snehnath

Wed May 24, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 4):
guys.... remember this new magazine Open Sky? They carried a short quiz in thier first issue.

I took part and won..... the first prize was a free return ticket to Taipei on China airlines Business Class..... so I am off to TPE.... dont know what can be done there though.....

Some guys have all the luck!!! Enjoy TPE. Isn't the world's tallest building in TPE? I know these things change every six months.

AirIndiaOne

Wed May 24, 2006 5:15 pm

I took part and won.....

hey guru , thats cool !...u were in real good luck to have won a business class return ticket !! ...do take inflight pics  Smile
"You don't have to be crazy to be in aviation, but it helps", JRD Tata

HAWK21M

Wed May 24, 2006 8:31 pm

this new magazine Open Sky

so I am off to TPE.... dont know what can be done there though.....

Guru Congrats.Enjoy the trip & don't forget the Camera.
Whats this Magazine about though.Any link.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AirIndia

Thu May 25, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Snehnath (Reply 5):
Some guys have all the luck

Wish I was as lucky with women!!!

Quoting AirIndiaOne (Reply 6):
do take inflight pics

will sure do... any what a/c they fly? 343?

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 7):
Guru Congrats.Enjoy the trip & don't forget the Camera.
Whats this Magazine about though.Any link.

Thanks Mel.... This magazine comes with Business Standard every last friday of the month. Keep on the look out it will come ths friday, remember to buy ur copy of BS this friday.....

Quoting Snehnath (Reply 5):
Isn't the world's tallest building in TPE

Yes, its called Taipei 101....

HAWK21M

Thu May 25, 2006 4:29 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © CHEN KAI PIN

China Airlines

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 8):
This magazine comes with Business Standard every last friday of the month.

Any Link to a website.
regds
MEL

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2006 7:02 am

Kingfisher Airlines starts more flights. Link:
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1557702.cms

Quotes:
Kingfisher Airlines on Wednesday launched direct daily services connecting Bangalore to Mangalore and Mangalore to Chennai using new ATR-72-500 aircraft which have just been inducted into its fleet. Kingfisher Airlines also became the only airline to start direct flights between Chennai and Mangalore, a company release said.

With a daily flight in each direction, the new routes would provide convenient service for business and leisure travellers alike, it said. With the launch of new routes, Kingfisher Airlines will be operating more than 70 flights daily across 15 destinations, the release said.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 am

Air Deccan defers Delhi-Patna flight launch. Link:
http://www.talkingtarmac.com/launch/deccan-patna.asp

Quotes:
Air Deccan has deferred the launch of its Delhi-Patna flights by a fortnight. Deccan was to start flights from the first of June. Reports said that Air Deccan is yet to receive the 180-seater Airbus A320 aircraft which it had hoped to deploy in this route.

The Air Deccan Delhi-Patna flight was a twice daily flight. the first flight would leave Delhi at 0615 hours and return before noon, while the other would start in the evening at 1700 hours and return to Delhi by 2210 hours.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2006 8:05 am

Costlier jet fuel eats into Air-India`s profits. Carrier's total revenue in 2005-06 up around 18 per cent. Link:
http://www.business-standard.com/com...o=92471&leftnm=1&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Quotes:
Rising fuel prices have taken their toll on Air-India’s bottomline in 2005-06. After recording a net profit of Rs 96.36 crore in 2004-05, the company has just managed to stay in the black in 2005-06, though total revenue during the period went up around 18 per cent to Rs 9,000 crore from Rs 7,630 crore.

Attributing the fall in profits to the increase in international fuel prices, Air-India Chairman and Managing Director Vasudevan Thulasidas told Business Standard: “Although the accounts for the year ended March 2006 were yet to be finalised, indications are that the company would manage to stay in the black.”

According to Thulasidas, the national carrier had to bear fuel cost of nearly Rs 3,000 crore in 2005-06 and one-third of this — Rs 1000 crore — could have been avoided had there been no rise in fuel prices. In comparison, the additional cost on fuel in 2004-05 was Rs 600 crore.

The price of aviation turbine fuel, which was averaging 114 cents per gallon in 2003-04, is now around 201 cents per gallon.

The airline may also end up with a higher wage bill of nearly Rs 890 crore in 2005-06, compared with the previous year's Rs 843 crore. The wage bill generally constitutes 15 per cent of the operating cost of the airline.

cricket

Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 pm

Jet just launched kiosk check-in at DEL, BOM, BLR. According to 9W this will help reduce queues at check-in counters at these three airports. Initially only five machines will be installed - 2 in DEL, 2 in BOM and 1 at BLR. Only E-ticketed passengers will be able to use the facilities.
been there, flown that

HAWK21M

Thu May 25, 2006 10:16 pm

BDA/DHLs 2nd B752SF touched down yesterday 1600hrs.

Guru....Any link to the Magazine.

regds
MEL

pnqiad

Thu May 25, 2006 11:44 pm

KLM-NW launches self service check-in facility

The news item mentions only Mumbai for this new service. How do they verify travel documents with international check-in though? Indian passports are not machine-readable as far as I know.

Gr8Circle

Fri May 26, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 13):
Only E-ticketed passengers will be able to use the facilities.

Slightly silly question, but I've been out of India for almost two years now....at all Indian airports you have hefty cops sitting at the entrance, checking the TICKETS of passengers, to let them thru'.....how do they identify e-ticketed passengers and let them thru'?

pnqiad

Fri May 26, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 16):
at all Indian airports you have hefty cops sitting at the entrance, checking the TICKETS of passengers, to let them thru'.....how do they identify e-ticketed passengers and let them thru'?

A printout of your itin. / e-ticket is enough. I have travelled a couple of time now with e-tickets and have not had a problem.

airways1

Fri May 26, 2006 3:29 am

I'm trying to get hold of some Indian airline timetable publications. I know schedules can be found on their websites, but I am looking for the originals issued by the airlines.

If anyone can send me timetables from

Air Deccan
Paramount
Go
Indigo
Spicejet
Jagson

I would be willing to pay US$10 for the first timetable from each airline, plus $2 for every further copy, plus postage.

If you can help, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks.

blrBird

Fri May 26, 2006 9:44 am

Anyone heard of this incident @ BLR?

US aviation safety teams to probe May Transmile Boeing 727 freighter fuel tank explosion in Bangalore, India

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...ighter+fuel+tank+explosion+in.html
from star dust....

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2006 1:02 pm

Jet renames Air Sahara as Transjet. Transjet to house all Sahara operations.
I suppose it also enables Jet to use Transjet brand to launch flights to US in case approval for Jet brand does not through. Link:
http://www.talkingtarmac.com/others/transjet.asp

Quotes:
Air Sahara has been renamed Transjet. Jet Airways, which acquired Air Sahara early this year, will run the operations of Air Sahara under the brand name Transjet, NDTV reported. Transjet will be a subsidiary of Jet Airways, and will be retained as such for a year or so. A new corporate logo and look for Transjet is under way.

Transjet will function as a separate entity under the Jet umbrella. According to reports, if Jet had merged Transjet with itself, it would have to take the Air Sahara losses in books. Jet is not keen on that. Hence the decision to keep Transjet as a separate entity, till the airline is turned round. Once the revival part is over, Transjet will be merged into Jet Airways.

Jet Airways is believed to have hired a consultant to work out the branding and logo of Transjet. Transjet will house all of the erstwhile Air Sahara's planes, infrastructure and employees.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Jet Airways will fly to Bangkok. Link:
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1031315

Quotes:
Jet Airways would be expanding its overseas business over the next few months by connecting more cities, its chief executive officer Wolfgang Prock-Schauer said on Thursday.

The airline, which currently flies to London, Kuala Lumpur, Kathmandu, and Colombo, would add Bangkok to the list of international destinations. Prock-Schauer said the airline is awaiting approvals to begin one flight a day from Delhi and Kolkata each to the Thailand capital.

Jet has got approval to begin the Amritsar-London service which is expected to be operational in the next two months. Also on the cards is a second Mumbai-London flight.

Jet still hasn’t received the go-ahead to fly to the US. According to a senior company official, since Jet doesn’t have spare wide-bodied planes, the US services are expected to be launched during the summer of 2007.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2006 1:07 pm

Jet Airways aims to switch over to e-ticketing by 2007. Link:
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/05/25/1660170.htm

Quotes:
Naresh Goyal-promoted Jet Airways will have its total business coming from the e-ticketing facility by 2007, aiming to reduce its ticketing costs and automating the whole system.

"Presently, we have 20 per cent of our business comes through E-ticketing. By next three months, we will be taking it to 50 per cent. By 2007, we expect out total business will be based on E-ticketing," Jet Airways CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer told reporters here.

The airline is expecting around 2,000 agents to deliver their services using the e-ticketing facility. "We have a big pool of agents, which is expected to start these operations once these 2,000 agents are permitted to access these services," said Prock-Schauer.

Jet Airways will be installing five "Kiosk Check-ins" at Mumbai, Delhi and Banglore airports, which will provide its E-ticket customers automated services like of name and PNR verification and seat selection and a printout of boarding pass.

cricket

Fri May 26, 2006 9:37 pm

How did we miss this classic one by our dear national carrier.

http://web.mid-day.com/news/city/2006/may/137887.htm

Quote :

Air-India (A-I) says it will not let this jinxed plane fly without performing a pooja. The Boeing 747 VT-AIM was grounded in April after it suffered three flat tyres in five months.

WTF?
been there, flown that

pnqiad

Fri May 26, 2006 11:16 pm

A-I business class to get cosier

"If you're pleasantly surprised by the ample leg space, larger hand rest and other facilities while travelling business class and first class on Air-India's new Boeing 777 and Boeing 787 flights next year, thank Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata, Housing Development Finance Corporation honcho Deepak Parekh, industrialist Yash Birla and Tina Ambani........"

Let's hope AI is serious about making itself a world-class airline not only in appearance but also all other aspects as well....

blrsea

Sat May 27, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 23):
Air-India (A-I) says it will not let this jinxed plane fly without performing a pooja. The Boeing 747 VT-AIM was grounded in April after it suffered three flat tyres in five months.

That's India for you Big grin

aseem

Sat May 27, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 25):
That's India for you

they should bang a coconut on that landing gear. Big grin
cheers!!
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

Gr8Circle

Sat May 27, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 25):
That's India for you

Well, I'm sure that this comment would have been made in a lighter vein and picked up by the media as usual.....

Also, keep in mind that a lot of other countries, notably Thailand, routinely call in religious priests to perform ceremonies at commercial locations.....

Not condoning the practice, but Indians aren't alone in this sort of thinking.... smile 

aseem

Sat May 27, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 20):
Transjet will function as a separate entity under the Jet umbrella. According to reports, if Jet had merged Transjet with itself, it would have to take the Air Sahara losses in books. Jet is not keen on that. Hence the decision to keep Transjet as a separate entity, till the airline is turned round. Once the revival part is over, Transjet will be merged into Jet Airways.

Jet Airways is believed to have hired a consultant to work out the branding and logo of Transjet. Transjet will house all of the erstwhile Air Sahara's planes, infrastructure and employees.

can somebody throw light if the ownership issue can be avoided by having subsidiary fly to US.
Besides that it is a wise move on 9W's part.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2006 12:40 pm

Lalit Suri eyes 6% in Kingfisher. Link:
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1577204.cms

Quotes:
Hotelier and Rajya Sabha MP Lalit Suri is believed to be in preliminary talks to pick up a stake in the Vijay Mallya-owned Kingfisher Airlines.

Mr Suri, who owns Bharat Hotels, is negotiating to pick up 5-6% in the airline, sources close to developments said. Mr Suri is the single-largest hotel owner with complete majority in his properties that include the flagship InterContinental, The Grand in Delhi and six Grand hotels in Mumbai, Goa, Bangalore, Srinagar, Udaipur and Khajuraho, adding up to a tally of 1,600 rooms.

Kingfisher said it is targeting a 15% market share in the next year and expects a turnover of Rs 1,000 crore. It plans to start long-haul services when its first wide-body aircraft arrives in ’07.

aseem

Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 20):
Jet renames Air Sahara as Transjet. Transjet to house all Sahara operations.

History is repeating for Jet, and that also pretty soon. There already exists an airlines/company by that name. This time in australia. Here is the link
http://www.transjet.com.au/
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

sammyk

Sat May 27, 2006 1:57 pm

Quoting Aseem (Reply 30):
History is repeating for Jet, and that also pretty soon. There already exists an airlines/company by that name. This time in australia. Here is the link
http://www.transjet.com.au/

I doubt this will be a problem considering this Transjet will probably not see Australian service. That and it is to be eventually eliminated.

cricket

Sat May 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 29):
Kingfisher said it is targeting a 15% market share in the next year and expects a turnover of Rs 1,000 crore. It plans to start long-haul services when its first wide-body aircraft arrives in �07.

Whaaaa..... Kingfisher is planning 15% of the domestic market in 06? From the numbers I have in FY05 28 mill passengers flew as against 16mill in FY04, stats heading towards FY07 are looking at 35-40mill, for a fifteen percent share Kingfisher will need to fly over 6 million passengers. Quite ambitious!
Internations operations - as an Indian flag carrier? Not happening, and if VM tries the reverse route, I doubt the MoCA will give him permission anyhoo.
You gotta love press release talk!
been there, flown that

HAWK21M

Sat May 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting BlrBird (Reply 19):
Anyone heard of this incident @ BLR

It was quite a sight at Night.It occured on Pushback after an arrival with the LH Wing fuel leak.Some rectification was done & while it was being pushed back for Departure there was an Explosion.
The normal suspect is the dry running of the Boost pumps.But this looks different.We'll know soon though.As per BLR folks it was quite a sight.
Later though as it was parked at the Isolation bay.Blr was experiencing around 40 knots wind & the Aircraft swung 90 degrees.
Tough time.

Quoting Aseem (Reply 26):
they should bang a coconut on that landing gear.

Lightly to avoid an AOG situation  biggrin 

regds
MEL

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 am

Goa-Colombo direct flight from October. Link:
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=05283

Quotes:
SriLankan Airlines is planning to operate between Colombo and Goa from coming October, with flights of two-hour duration scheduled for Mondays and Saturdays, making it the Airlines’ 50th destination worldwide.

In a press note issued here, the Airlines hoped that the service would be useful for travellers between Goa on the one hand and SriLankan Airlines’ destinations in Europe and the West Asia on the other.

The airlines regional manager, Sri Lanka and Indian sub-continent, Mr N Prabaharan, informed it was the largest foreign carrier operating to India. SriLankan Airlines operates nearly 100 weekly flights to New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kochi, Tiruchy, Trivandrum and Calicut. Goa would become the 10th destination of the airline.

The airline said that it was aware of the growing importance and opportunities of the travel market both into and out of India. “SriLankan has positioned itself as the link between India and the rest of the world, and we have been steadily expanding our presence there in the last few years. We are very excited about commencing services to Goa, which we see as having excellent commercial prospects,” the press note reads.

cornish

Sun May 28, 2006 6:06 am

April traffic figures for Delhi show an incredible 41% increase in passengers for April 2006 over April 2005.

Even allowing for a skewed Easter over the last two years, that's spectacular growth !
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Concorde001

Mon May 29, 2006 12:40 am

Jet Airways celebrates one year on Mumbai-London (Heathrow) flight.

Quote:
Jet Airways proudly celebrates the 1st anniversary of its popular Mumbai-London (Heathrow) flight. Today, May 23, 2006, flight 9W-118 Mumbai –London Heathrow and 9W 117 London Heathrow-Mumbai earn the distinction of completing one year of uninterrupted flying without a single technical cancellation.

The Mumbai-London (Heathrow) - Mumbai flight is operated with a fleet of young A340-300 E aircraft in a 38 Premiere and 231 Economy class seat configuration, Premiere provides a seat pitch of 73 inches offering passengers one of the world’s best flat bed seats. The economy class offers one of the most advanced In Flight Entertainment systems (IFE) in the industry.

With a seat factor over 70 percent since inception, the flight is one of the most popular on this route and has enabled Jet Airways establish itself as a formidable player in the aviation industry. Jet Airways is one of the few airlines in the world to receive the ISO 9001 certification for their In-flight service.

Jet Airways’ position on this route will be further strengthened with a 2nd Mumbai-London night departure flight from July 10, 2006, which will complement the existing service.

70% loadfactor is excellent considering the massive increase in capacity on LHR-BOM.

Concorde001

Mon May 29, 2006 12:50 am

AAI (Airports Authority of India) to invest Rs 1500 cr in non-metro Airports
Press Trust Of India
Posted Sunday , May 28, 2006

Quote:
New Delhi: The Airport Authority of India will invest about Rs 1,500 crore to modernise at least 10 non-metro airports by 2008.

According to sources, AAI is awaiting approval from the Ministry of Civil Aviation on the final list of airports to be covered in the first phase of the non-metro airport modernisation programme.

AAI has already identified 12 cities, which include Jaipur, Udaipur, Srinagar, Amritsar, Ambala, Thiruvananthapuram, Vishakapatnam, Mangalore, Nagpur, Goa, Varanasi and Trichy, the sources said.

Out of these 12 airports, 10 will be modernised using the public private partnership (PPP) model. The airside of the modernisation will be with AAI, which will include modernisation of terminals, parking bays, taxiway and runways.

"It, however, will be subject to the decision of the committee on infrastructure headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on what kind of a model will be followed for the development of city side and what kind of facilities could be developed," the sources said.

As part of non-metro airports' modernisation programme, AAI expects to install CAT II systems in select airports like Amritsar and Srinagar.

himmat01

Mon May 29, 2006 3:37 pm

Bangkok Airways considering building an airport in Assam

From Bangkok Post:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/29May2006_biz16.php

Quote:
Bangkok Airways is looking to India as a potential location for a new airport.

Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth, the airline's founder and president, has reportedly held discussions with Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi about building an airport near Kaziranga National Park.

During the talks with Mr Gogoi in Bangkok, Dr Prasert proposed establishing infrastructure to boost tourism, such as an 'Assam Safari', as well as links to other national parks in the state and the country's northeastern region.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

cricket

Mon May 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 36):
70% loadfactor is excellent considering the massive increase in capacity on LHR-BOM.

The problem is that this loadfactor has been gained at an extremely low average price. 9W's fares are usually the most affordable on the sector and because of not offering the connectivity that BA does, therefore it has been unable to convert a lot of people who prefer 9W domestically (especially on Premiere) to switch over (Club World is extremely difficult competition). Jet has also not been able to switch the more traditional AI traveller over either. This fact is reflected in Jet's abysmal Q4FY05 results.
However, let the 777-35RER's come in.
been there, flown that

Nimish

Mon May 29, 2006 5:39 pm

Bangalore International Airport on talent hunt

Quote:
Bangalore: Building an airport team from scratch, it seems, can be almost as challenging as building a brand-new airport. As Bangalore International Airport Ltd goes scouting for people with an assortment of skills and experience to run the greenfield airport, talent seems to be a small air pocket.

BIAL plans to have a team of 80 personnel by this year-end, up from the current 35. The going has been a little tardy, admits the BIAL CEO, Albert Brunner.

Air transport in India is expanding at a pace that is one of the fastest in the world and there is a scarcity of experienced personnel in this field, he told Business Line. "The challenge is not to find well-educated people, but well-educated people with loyalty, strong dedication and - most important - with experience in airport operation and airport marketing."

In the absence of a private airport, mature aviation industry or training colleges, "Where do you find them? We are the only one right now. Where are the benchmarks" for compensation in an industry monopolised by the Government until now, he asked.
BIAL is head hunting from within and outside the country through its Web site, job portals, internal references and consultants.

It would have to reckon with competition from the new Hyderabad airport, which is keeping similar paces, and the revamping of the Delhi and Mumbai airports.

The obvious domestic sources for such talent are the Airports Authority, the airlines and even the air force....
Incredible India!

Nimish

Mon May 29, 2006 7:10 pm

India is potentially a huge mkt: Cathay Pacific

Quote:
"Outside our home market - China - India is Cathay Pacific Airways' top priority and we intend to focus our efforts on expanding our presence in this dynamic and fast growing market," says Rupert Bray, Country Manager, India, Nepal and Bangladesh, Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.
Has the airline optimally used its bilateral rights? Are bilateral negotiations imminent? If so, which are the points that Cathay would like to operate to?

Cathay Pacific uses its full entitlement under the current bilateral air services agreement. India is potentially a huge market and it is one of growing importance for Cathay Pacific. We believe there is scope for a significantly expanded air services agreement.

Over the last year, there has been a 35 per cent increase in traffic between India and Hong Kong. That said, the route continues to be under-served.

Because traffic rights are the preserve of government, which cities we plan to fly to will depend on the outcome of the talks but, clearly, opportunities do exist in the South....
Incredible India!

cricket

Mon May 29, 2006 7:26 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 41):
India is potentially a huge mkt: Cathay Pacific

Strange that the government couldn't agree to a more liberal ASA with Hong Kong - I think it had to do with fifth-freedom rights for AI onward from HKG to the US West Coast. Otherwise CX itself and AI dramatically underserve the route and TG, MH and SQ take full benefit.
been there, flown that

himmat01

Mon May 29, 2006 7:51 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 42):
Strange that the government couldn't agree to a more liberal ASA with Hong Kong - I think it had to do with fifth-freedom rights for AI onward from HKG to the US West Coast. Otherwise CX itself and AI dramatically underserve the route and TG, MH and SQ take full benefit.

The talks with HK authorities failed because they were unwilling to allow 5th freedom rights on HKG-US west coast to any other airline besides AI. In other words, they do not want 9W to operate on HKG-SFO/LAX sector.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

Nimish

Mon May 29, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 42):
Strange that the government couldn't agree to a more liberal ASA with Hong Kong

PP was keen and willing to expand the treaty, but the HKG govt/ CX held out. I wonder if their loss will be Japan or Korea's gain (for India - one stop - West coast flights)
Incredible India!

cricket

Mon May 29, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 43):
The talks with HK authorities failed because they were unwilling to allow 5th freedom rights on HKG-US west coast to any other airline besides AI. In other words, they do not want 9W to operate on HKG-SFO/LAX sector.

Quoting Nimish (Reply 44):
PP was keen and willing to expand the treaty, but the HKG govt/ CX held out. I wonder if their loss will be Japan or Korea's gain (for India - one stop - West coast flights)

Not that the 9W fact matters right now, since the DHS is still sitting on Jet's application.
India-Japan/Korea non-stop is also a problem because we have to overfly China and that has all the potential in the world to become an issue.

On another note, slightly OT. Despite our teams amazingly dismal performance, many people I know are headed to the Caribbean next year. Is there the possibility that airlines might start extra flights to deal with the increased load next summer. More importantly, will AI and 9W do anything, or is it going to be BA and VS all the way?
been there, flown that

aseem

Mon May 29, 2006 10:26 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 45):
India-Japan/Korea non-stop is also a problem because we have to overfly China and that has all the potential in the world to become an issue.

could you please elaborate?  confused 
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

cricket

Mon May 29, 2006 10:32 pm

Quoting Aseem (Reply 46):
could you please elaborate?

Despite recent rapproachment, overflight rights for aircraft travelling across China might be an issue. I use the term MIGHT, but knowing recent history (since 1962) between the two countries don't rule anything out - geopolitics is quite strange.
been there, flown that

AvioGuy

Tue May 30, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting Cricket (Reply 47):

That should not stay an issue for long. India has a thriving trade market with China, yes both countries are extremely cautious of each others movements in the business field, but giving more freedom to airlines in this regard is inevitable.

Nimish

Tue May 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Kingfisher Airlines launches daily service to Srinagar

From: http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200605270211.htm

Quote:
Srinagar, May 27 (PTI): Private carrier Kingfisher Airlines on Friday launched daily services between Mumbai and Srinagar and Delhi and Srinagar.

With the launch of these new routes, Kingfisher Airlines will offer more than 70 daily flights, connecting 16 cities in the country, a spokesperson of the airline said....

Is this the only service from BOM to SXR? Even this service seems to be a one-stop via DEL, with a total time of 4:30 for BOM-SXR.

The only other BOM-SXR service that I could find for July was from Go Air (which was non-stop). Quite surprising that none of the mainline airlines (like IC, 9W) have non-stops from BOM - SXR!!
Incredible India!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos