Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

elcableguy77
Topic Author

Tired Of Those Pesky Police Helicopters?

Sun May 28, 2006 11:45 am

If so, try what this lady did!

Clicky
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."

superhub

RE: Tired Of Those Pesky Police Helicopters?

Sun May 28, 2006 11:55 am

That certainly will give ideas for real criminals to deter being spotted by these helicopters.

AirWillie6475

Sun May 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Actually to those that live in an area where this doesn't happen this might sound crazy but I live in an area that helicopters fly overhead constantly. I do understand what made this lady do this and I admit that I have thought about doing something crazy like this. Apperantly it is more important to the police and fire department to wake the whole neighborhood rather than letting the police on foot take care of the bad guys. And they usually fly from 12-3am what is that???

AsstChiefMark

Sun May 28, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 2):
Apperantly it is more important to the police and fire department to wake the whole neighborhood rather than letting the police on foot take care of the bad guys

You think all those sirens, flashing lights reflecting in the windows, two way radios blaring, and people hollering to each other is better than a helicopter?

I live under an approach to a hospital helipad. They go over my house at 100 feet AGL every day. It's no big deal.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

WildcatYXU

Sun May 28, 2006 1:20 pm

"shooting or throwing a deadly missile into an aircraft"

Deadly missile - a firecracker - unbelievable. You guys down there should think about a correct definition of deadly attack.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

airwave

Sun May 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
I live under an approach to a hospital helipad. They go over my house at 100 feet AGL every day. It's no big deal.

checkmark  I do as well and really, it's something people get used to. I've lived here all my life, so it's always been part of the background to me, but it's the same with even the recent arrivals to the neighborhood.

Of course, when you combine the hospital with two separate airport's runway departure/arrival tracks and all the accompanying traffic, it puts a damper on how powerful an engine you can pop in your Estes rocket, for one thing.  biggrin 

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

DeltaSFO

Sun May 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Anybody here ever played Grand Theft Auto San Andreas?  Wink
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

vegasflyboy

Sun May 28, 2006 6:27 pm

You think the noise from helicopters is bad, try living on an Air Force base!

zvezda

Sun May 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Quote:
The helicopter's pilot said the craft's flight pattern was never in jeopardy.

Either the pilot is mistaken or the charges below are evidently false.

Quote:
Thompson is facing a felony charge of shooting or throwing a deadly missile into an aircraft.

If I were on a jury, the pilots statement would suffice for me to acquit. However, my guess is that most judges would not allow the pilot's statement to be entered into evidence.

bestpilot

Sun May 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting Superhub (Reply 1):
That certainly will give ideas for real criminals to deter being spotted by these helicopters.

Shooting rockets at a helicopter would actually cause you to be spotted right away.

DeeCee3

Sun May 28, 2006 11:53 pm

A friend of mine learnt morse code, grabbed a torch, hung out his window and sent "P... off Biggles"!

Silly

SkyexRamper

Mon May 29, 2006 12:33 am

How stupid was that lady! I'm surprised they aren't trying to charge the lady with assault with a deadly weapon against a police officer.

Apperantly it is more important to the police and fire department to wake the whole neighborhood rather than letting the police on foot take care of the bad guys.

If I am a cop chasing after or moving in on a suspect of an auto theft, most likely they are going to be armed and dangerous. I'd rather wake up the whole neighborhood with a helo, that is watching the area from above and can see people moving on the opposite side of the house than I am on, than have the chance of getting shot or killed.

And they usually fly from 12-3am what is that???

Most law enforcement helos are airborne 22hrs a day, so that they are always up when they get a call.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Coronado990

Mon May 29, 2006 12:43 am

Oh God yes, Fwapp Fwapp fwapp chop chop around and around it goes and drives me nuts. Then the bullhorn. There is a man with a white shirt smoking a joint. If you see him call the authorities!!!" Mix in the sirens and I am sure the world just ended. I feel sorry for the Veitman Vet who now thinks they are Nam again, flashbacks and all.

I would much rather hear jets anyday. I want to live under Lindbergh's flight path for just this reason. The helicopters can't circle there!
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

deltagator

Mon May 29, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting Elcableguy77 (Thread starter):
Tired Of Those Pesky Police Helicopters?

Simple advice for her...If the "Ghetto Bird" is driving you crazy then perhaps you should consider moving to a better neighborhood.

Quoting Vegasflyboy (Reply 7):
try living on an Air Force base!

I've got some friends who are Navy pilots and they would argue the carrier is worse for noise.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ukkiwibird

Mon May 29, 2006 5:10 am

Answer NO..... One police helicopter caught a nasty, violent crim, who had broken into a friends place and attacked her.
Secondly hospital helicopters are a life line for many, yes they are noisey at 2am ,but good luck to them.
ukkiwibird

satx

Mon May 29, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
I live under an approach to a hospital helipad. They go over my house at 100 feet AGL every day.

Same here. But hey, if rattling your windows in the middle of the night is "no big deal" then I wish I could be as dead of a sleeper as you are.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 13):

Simple advice for her...If the "Ghetto Bird" is driving you crazy then perhaps you should consider moving to a better neighborhood.

Yeah, those stupid ghetto people. Why don't they all just move into Beverly Hills? Morons. Must not know any better.*

*sarcasm
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

Jacks757

Mon May 29, 2006 10:22 am

Its always fun when they use their loud speaker. Just last week around midnight they were looking for a man with alzheimers. He wondered away from his house, which was down they street from my place. They circled around for a good hour announcing a description of him.

Pronto

Mon May 29, 2006 10:54 am

I don't see why they should bother you; they're doing more good than the media helos up there...wah, wah, wah,......

ltbewr

Mon May 29, 2006 11:09 am

Too bad she wasn't going after one of those news choppers that seem to be mainly used to follow police chases that take away time from far more valuable news stories. She may have given a bye for flinging some firecrackers in that case.
Still, they have to charge her with something here, and probably it will be reduced by the proscutor.

darrenthe747

Mon May 29, 2006 11:15 am

Give me a F**king break. I was stationed at Rhein Main Air Base in the US Air Force for 3 years. We shared runways with Frankfurt International airport (EDDF - FRA) one of the busiest airports in the world. My dorm was right underneath the takeoff path of 07L. When the traffic was taking off that direction (roughly 50% of the year) I heard a jetliner blast over head every 3-5 minutes. At first it kept me awake. Less than a month later, I got used to it. And these things were LOUD. but I got used to it. we all did. stop making excuses.

Quoting Vegasflyboy (Reply 7):
You think the noise from helicopters is bad, try living on an Air Force base!

amen! try living on an air force base/busy international airport. C-5's are frickin LOUD!!
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

SkyexRamper

Mon May 29, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 19):
Give me a F**king break.

HAHAHHA, on a side note, if you don't like helos, don't move to L.A! Big grin
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

SP90

Mon May 29, 2006 11:48 pm

I would try using ear plugs before I go and start shooting down the police helos, but thats just me. That lady must have been royally pissed off. Maybe she was having a really nice dream before she was interrupted?  Big grin

remcor

Tue May 30, 2006 12:55 am

Helicopters are often very necessary for police, of course. But like any profession anywhere, sometimes laziness or greed can become a factor. I live in Santa Barbara, CA... not exactly a high-crime area. Yet several years ago the police decided that it would be necessary to purchase a helicopter to patrol the skys.

Of course it wasn't necessary for the police here to have their own helicopter, but since they were paying for it, and paying for a pilot, they had to fly it around just to show that it was useful. I lived in a student suburb of the town and that stupid helicopter would come buzzing low over the apartment buildings at least once a day, like they were just checking up on us.

Not only were the damn things loud and annoying (sometimes they just flew around in circles overhead), but I hated the idea that the police were up there just looking at us for kicks. We're not a police-state you know.

F9Animal

Tue May 30, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 4):
Deadly missile - a firecracker - unbelievable. You guys down there should think about a correct definition of deadly attack.
Actually, you can be charged for throwing a "missle" if you throw a rock at someone here in the United States. It is called a missle or deadly projectile. I know it sounds crazy, but a "missle" is more than an actual missle when it comes to law. Anything that is thrown or projectiled to cause potential injury will face that type of charge. In this case, the police could even go for assault to a police officer. I hope they throw the book at her sorry A**. Wait, if they throw the book at her...... LOL!

I bet she would think differently if the suspect was attempting to break into her house. It always amazes me what people will do to cause havoc to police. I am sure her attempt to disrupt the police was more than just the helicopter noise. They should also charge her with "interference of a police investigation."

[Edited 2006-05-29 18:18:44]
I Am A Different Animal!!

Electech6299

Tue May 30, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 15):
if rattling your windows in the middle of the night is "no big deal" then I wish I could be as dead of a sleeper as you are.

If your windows rattle, they are inefficient and wasting energy. Get them insulated and they not only won't rattle, but they will reduce noise penetration and cut down on your A/C bill. (Perhaps taking care of what we can and letting the police do their job is a better approach than complaining...)  Smile
Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

KFLLCFII

Tue May 30, 2006 6:34 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...only in Florida  Yeah sure
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

trekster

Tue May 30, 2006 6:47 am

I have been in this house for over a year now, and am just getting used to the Police helo doing circuits over the house.

It does get really annoying, espcially when the search light is on for searches of the park opposite.

Im now on the top floor so closer to it then i was lol, but im not hearing it as much now
Where does the time go???

supa7E7

Tue May 30, 2006 6:51 am

Why not call 911 and ask the police dispatchers what the big deal is, whether there is any danger. If there are aircraft, there may well be dangerous perps running around, and maybe you should know about it, since you are woken up anyway!
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

SmithAir747

Tue May 30, 2006 6:55 am

Helicopters fly overhead here in London all the time, as well as at LHR when I'm spotting there. The noise becomes just another part of the London city noise--along with the jets approaching LHR over central London where I live.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

airwave

Tue May 30, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 28):
The noise becomes just another part of the London city noise

You know, it's really odd, but whenever I head out to my Mom's family house in the ruralness of PA, the first thing I notice is the absence of helicopters. No kidding. I don't perk up to the dearth in auto traffic and other (sub)urban sounds until a while later. Go figure.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos