Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

artsyman
Topic Author

What Airports Other Than CRW Serve Charleston VW

Wed May 31, 2006 10:00 am

Times into CRW are not going to work. Are there any other airports within 50 miles or so ?

DeltaMIA

RE: What Airports Other Than CRW Serve Charleston VW

Wed May 31, 2006 10:07 am

HTS (Huntington, WV) isn't too far, but I doubt you will find better times. I think it is only served from CVG.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

kcrwflyer

Wed May 31, 2006 11:05 am

Hes right, Yeager is as good as it gets for at least 2.5, almost 3 hours.

Where are you coming from and on what carrier? US and DL have a descent amount of frequency.

N670UW

Wed May 31, 2006 11:24 am

Closest to Charleston (besides CRW) is going to be HTS. It's about 45 miles.

HTS is served by US Airways Express (4x Dash 8's to/from CLT) and Delta Connection (2x CRJ-200's to/from CVG).

BKW (Beckley, WV) is about 50 miles. Its only service is US Airways Express (Beech 1900's) to IAD.

I don't know that you'll find better/more frequency at these airports than CRW, though.

[Edited 2006-05-31 04:25:14]

artsyman
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2006 12:06 pm

I was looking to get from IAD/DCA preferably the latter sometime around 2pm in the afternoon of the 24th June. Need to be in Charleston by approx 4pm. The only flight that fits the bill is the 12.25pm departure from IAD on UAL, but it is going to be real tough to get to the 12.25pm flight.

kcrwflyer

Wed May 31, 2006 12:30 pm

Quoting Artsyman (Reply 4):
I was looking to get from IAD/DCA preferably the latter sometime around 2pm in the afternoon of the 24th June. Need to be in Charleston by approx 4pm. The only flight that fits the bill is the 12.25pm departure from IAD on UAL, but it is going to be real tough to get to the 12.25pm flight.

Weve got 7x to DC. Surprising only one flight fits your times. It wouldnt do you any good to try and connect in CVG either.

DeltaMIA

Wed May 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Artsyman (Reply 4):
Need to be in Charleston by approx 4pm. The only flight that fits the bill is the 12.25pm departure from IAD on UAL, but it is going to be real tough to get to the 12.25pm flight.

You sound a little too strapped for time if you need to be there by 4pm and a noon departure isn't good enough.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

avi8tir

Wed May 31, 2006 1:00 pm

ahhh...the beauty of CRW! I justed move to San Fran after a 9 month stint in CRW for work. lets just say Im glad to be back on the west coast. that airport can be a nightmare.
*Long live the Widget*

stirling

Wed May 31, 2006 1:02 pm

You are going to have to make a compromise somewhere....
HTS has even more limited airline service than CRW.

The only other option I could see is flying into Bluefield WV.
US/x has a 1250 flight arriving at 1405. That is 25 minutes later than the nonstop.
It is about an hour and a half up to CRW.
The fare is probably going to be riccoculous though.
Delete this User

kcrwflyer

Wed May 31, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting Avi8tir (Reply 7):
ahhh...the beauty of CRW! I justed move to San Fran after a 9 month stint in CRW for work. lets just say Im glad to be back on the west coast. that airport can be a nightmare.

Whats so bad about it?

masseybrown

Wed May 31, 2006 3:41 pm

Artsy, you need to be a little more flexible - you're looking for choices on a Saturday afternoon. Saturday noon to Sunday noon is slim pickin's even on big routes.

Maybe charter a Cessna out of Manassas?  Smile

avi8tir

Wed May 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 9):

besides the fact that they cancel flights at the drop of a hat...nothing. or the fact that in november, I was on ASA to ATL on a CRJ-200, and they removed 15 of the 50 passengers due to weight restrictions. The weather was not ideal, but wasnt terrible. and then 2 days later on my return, they did the same thing again from ATL. When an airport that is served by 90% CRJ's cant even support them because the runway limitations, it sucks. when a roundtrip seat to PHL (a 45 minute flight) costs $1200, it sucks. When a round trip ticket to ATL (a 1 hour flight) costs $900, it sucks. the fares out of CRW are astronomical. a simple matter of supply and demand. I travelled a ton out of CRW while I was there (over 100k miles on DL, UA, US in 9 months). and as a business traveller, you dont have a choice on whether or not to pay the high fares. oh ya, and when the traveller in front of you in line at security doesnt know that his belt buckle (which is usually the size of a dinner plate) cant make it through the metal detector, well.... I think that says something too.
*Long live the Widget*

artsyman
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting Avi8tir (Reply 11):
Artsy, you need to be a little more flexible

Said as if I have a choice....

masseybrown

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting Artsyman (Reply 12):
Said as if I have a choice....

OK, but it may mean you don't go. Parkersburg is about 65 miles and there are CO flights from DCA and IAD at 10:30AM, arriving PKB at 1:57PM. Still, it doesn't quite fit your window.

kcrwflyer

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Avi8tir (Reply 11):
besides the fact that they cancel flights at the drop of a hat...nothing. or the fact that in november, I was on ASA to ATL on a CRJ-200, and they removed 15 of the 50 passengers due to weight restrictions. The weather was not ideal, but wasnt terrible. and then 2 days later on my return, they did the same thing again from ATL. When an airport that is served by 90% CRJ's cant even support them because the runway limitations, it sucks. when a roundtrip seat to PHL (a 45 minute flight) costs $1200, it sucks. When a round trip ticket to ATL (a 1 hour flight) costs $900, it sucks. the fares out of CRW are astronomical. a simple matter of supply and demand. I travelled a ton out of CRW while I was there (over 100k miles on DL, UA, US in 9 months). and as a business traveller, you dont have a choice on whether or not to pay the high fares. oh ya, and when the traveller in front of you in line at security doesnt know that his belt buckle (which is usually the size of a dinner plate) cant make it through the metal detector, well.... I think that says something too.

Stereotyping the area, airport, and fares.

You probably got stuck on a crj-100 to ATL. We accidently get one sometimes.

Since when has the duration of a flight determined the price?

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 13):
OK, but it may mean you don't go. Parkersburg is about 65 miles and there are CO flights from DCA and IAD at 10:30AM, arriving PKB at 1:57PM. Still, it doesn't quite fit your window.

Continental doesnt fly to DCA or IAD from pkb.

masseybrown

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 14):
Continental doesnt fly to DCA or IAD from pkb.

Not non-stop, but they offer a connection.

avi8tir

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:16 am

Since when has the duration of a flight determined the price?

how about distance? would that help determine a fare? would it make since that I could fly to europe for cheaper than I could fly to atlanta from crw? no, that wouldnt make since, would it? but thats how it is.

You probably got stuck on a crj-100 to ATL

nope, crj-200 both ways. only 35 of the 50 could be occupied.
*Long live the Widget*

ATLFlyer323

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 am

KcrwFlyer,

How are load factors overall out of CRW? (This question is addressed to anyone its just KcrwFlyer seems to know a lot about the airport)

Thanks,
Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

kcrwflyer

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 17):
KcrwFlyer,

How are load factors overall out of CRW? (This question is addressed to anyone its just KcrwFlyer seems to know a lot about the airport)

Thanks,
Brandon

Overall, I'd say around 75% or so. Markets like DCA, PIT, and PHL hold the load factor down but are real money maker routes due to yields. ORD to be dying off too as UA never capitalized on what was booming route. Delta and Continental are doing great. I believe IAH has an 86% loadfactor where ATL is in the 90s. Delta as a whole is 80%+ since CVG loads arent as good as ATL. NW is somewhere in the 70% area too.

You can contact me via e-mail if youd like to know more. I dont have the numbers in hand at the moment.

avi8tir

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:40 am

KcrwFlyer,

where do you work at? just curious how you know all this info. Do yo work for the airport and one of the airlines? Or is it just a hobby? didnt mean to bash CRW too much.... our company's headquarters is there so I know tons of people that fly in and out basically everyday so I hear all the horror stories, besides what I have experienced myself.
*Long live the Widget*

scintx

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:11 am

Back in the early 70's we moved there (CRW) from IAH. My dad had a fit finding it was a primitive airport compared to what he had before. Keep in mind this move to CRW was a so call promotion for my dad and he hated the place. As a kid we went out there in 1971-1974 and saw AA 727 and a EA 727. My older brother flew up from ATL on a UA 737-200 that had the "Friendship" colors, not sure if that is a correct term, but had the stars in front of "United" and aft. I remember Piedmont and Alleganey and I know they had the YS-11, but the only thing I remember is my dad cussing about a Alleganey flight from PIT and is was a Beech 99 or something like that. My dad still cusses that place. As a kid I thought it was fine. That's my .02 cents
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

kcrwflyer

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Avi8tir (Reply 19):
KcrwFlyer,

where do you work at? just curious how you know all this info. Do yo work for the airport and one of the airlines? Or is it just a hobby? didnt mean to bash CRW too much.... our company's headquarters is there so I know tons of people that fly in and out basically everyday so I hear all the horror stories, besides what I have experienced myself.

I have summer employment there and even during the school year I still do maintenance and updating to the web site. Its also been a hobby since I was about 4. The information I give you is coming directly from the airlines here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos