Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar
Topic Author

DL To Go Contract Ramp At MSY

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:24 am

This is somewhat of a surprise, but then again, not really, seeing how DL has scaled back here dramatically in recent years. It'll still be sad to see non-DL employees doing their turns here. Hopefully the home team employees getting the axe down here will be able to transfer to ATL or something. At least the new folks won't have large aircraft to deal with seeing how it's mostly M88/CRJ land down here now.

ABQopsHP

RE: DL To Go Contract Ramp At MSY

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:36 am

Well I hated to see the DL ramp guys go in ABQ they were a great bunch. Delta Global (DGS) came in and it was not fun at all. They are underpaid, dont respect the ramp equipment and are not friendly. I dont belive in outsourcing at all, you loose the quality of a company that way.
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

malaysia

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:41 am

[quote=ABQopsHP,reply=1]Delta Global (DGS) [/quote

AKA - DELTA GROUND SLAVES or DELTA GONE tO SH***

even Delta kills DGS contracts at some stations due to the poor performance even its owned by DL themselves.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:03 pm

DAL Gloabal coming to a city near you.

It's written in a bunch of 75's and Mad dogs.

There was talk about that for LGA, shuttle has already gotten the axe.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

DeltaGuy

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:13 pm

Cue Delta Got Slaves to come in, paying lovely $8/hr wages to unqualified workers. Way to go Delta.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

malaysia

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 3):
DAL Gloabal coming to a city near you.

Seen those in the bins and also the pay issues with DGS, like where did he go?? Fired and now working for DGS.

From my Experience, DGS is a very poorly managed division. the GSE maintenance quality is horrrible, the turnover so so high, reminds me almost of Menzies in SEA with AS.... ooooh.

DGS Agents only are allowed 1 hour vacation for every straight 52 hours worked no matter how long your seniority is. if you call in sick one day, you just lost your chance at 5 days off, you gotta work over again 52 straight hours.

I dont know if this applies to all DGS station policies, but this was the rule at my station and I felt so bad when my workers bitched at me and complained at me why I could not give them a week off for vacation, I could not find an agent that had a bank of 5 days to give approval for a real week of vacation.

They also are cutting the flight benefits even more on normal DGS agents, so its a very unattractive company to work for.

DGS was designed originally as DSS DELTA STAFFING SERVICES, they were meant to be a TEMP agency for airport handling, so they expected a 3 year window for each contract. Thats why they never brought in real job benefits and kept the pay low and only have 3 issued raises max. but now some contracts have been going on for 5-6 years already , so some people have stayed with them past the 3 year period are really in a bad state, no extra benefits or seniority of any kind.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

mtnwest1979

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 1):
I dont belive in outsourcing at all, you loose the quality of a company that way.

I agree with you, that you lose quality and care. Are there any companies anymore that don't practice this?!?
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

ABQopsHP

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:44 pm

I dont know why anyone would hang onto an airline job with little or no benifits. From what I understand these guys dont even have pass privleges on other carriers, and only 1 or 2 flights a year on DL. Its no wonder anytime I nonreved out on DL, any of the rampers hanging out in the jetway gave me dirty looks.
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

USPIT10L

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Well I hated to see the DL ramp guys go in ABQ they were a great bunch. Delta Global (DGS) came in and it was not fun at all. They are underpaid, dont respect the ramp equipment and are not friendly. I dont belive in outsourcing at all, you loose the quality of a company that way.

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 5):

Oh, yeah. I know DGS real well. First of all, I could've sworn MSY was a contract station to begin with. Secondly, Malaysia, most of those stations have been DGS since at least 2000, when the name was changed from DSS to DGS. All of my sups at PIT came from that era. Until DL dumps this pathetic idea they call a subsidiary, DL's service will continue to suffer. You cannot expect excellent work from minimum-wage people. PERIOD. It was one of Mullin's worst ideas, and is a big reason why DL went bankrupt in the first place.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

MeanGreen

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:18 pm

I agree with all of you, I believe that when you outsource in the airline industry quality takes a hit. I'll use myself as an example. About three summers ago I worked part-time at DFW for ASA. They were huge at the time replacing a lot of mainline flights. Well I had no experienced and didn't have a routine down. Yes it isn't hard reading a bag tag and taking it to the right airplane, but when you have a great deal of bags and very limited time to get them to their planes things can go south very quickly. So I, and many others misconnected a great deal of bags and Delta had to pay out. If Delta had just kept these flights mainline they wouldn't have had these problems. Oh well, I lasted two months then went back to school. I wanted to stay and work during school but they would not be flexible! Part-time, 8 bucks an hour, and no flexibility.... do you know what kind of person that attracts? I have read about all of the problems in SEA with AS, and with YX at MKE. Does anyone trully benefit from outsource in the airline industry?

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 4):
Cue Delta Got Slaves to come in, paying lovely $8/hr wages to unqualified workers. Way to go Delta.

DeltaGuy

Well Delta employees in ACS only start with 9.00/hr. the only difference s that we get benefits.

r311music

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:47 pm

I know a majority of DL stations are contract, but which still use actual DL employees on the ramp?
confusing use of time

lincoln

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:55 pm

I dont belive in outsourcing at all, you loose the quality of a company that way.

In the cases above I can't disagree with you at all, however, I posit that not all outsourcing inherently leads to a reduction in quality.

For example, I work for a firm that, in escense, provides outsourced programming for specialized integration/automation hardware. I'm well-compensated, have great benefits, and a generally laid-back work environment (with a great boss).

Quite a few of the dealers we do work for don't do enough volume to justify having their own programmer(s) on staff; others do have programmer(s) on staff and call us for either more complicated projects or just as general "overflow". We're recognized as providing a high-quality product, and some bid packages specifically require that the winning dealer outsource the programming to us. We also have more certified programmers on staff than anyone else I'm aware of.

Again-- I don't disagree that outsourcing purely to reduce costs and push more qualified people out is a bad thing, but I would argue that outsourcing is not inherently bad*

Sorry, it's a sensitive subject for me...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting R311music (Reply 11):
I know a majority of DL stations are contract, but which still use actual DL employees on the ramp?

JFK,ATL,BOS,LAX,SFO,DFW,CVG, SJU,MBJ,SLC

There is more but that's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

OttoPylit

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
Hopefully the home team employees getting the axe down here will be able to transfer to ATL or something

The last time DL outsourced their ramp services, during 7.5, all the employees had the option to move to a hub or move into ACS upstairs and put on a tie. If your already established in a station with a family, you chose the latter. Ironically, some of those ramp agents were the best ticket counter agents I've ever met. Guess they didn't know their own capabilty. But, with the current situation, their only option may be to move to ATL.

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 8):
First of all, I could've sworn MSY was a contract station to begin with.

Most were, but many larger stations and Florida stations kept their ramp(MCO, FLL, PBI, TPA, MSY, LAX, SEA, PDX, JFK, and a few more). But with the recent reductions, its almost guaranteed that all outstations for Delta will get contract ramp except the hubs.

I have always thought that DGS should get higher pay at least, and don't erode their flight benefits, not that they use them often anyway. I feel that they should feel they are incorporated to the DL employee group, and not felt as outsiders.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

Ih8b6

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 14):
I have always thought that DGS should get higher pay at least, and don't erode their flight benefits, not that they use them often anyway. I feel that they should feel they are incorporated to the DL employee group, and not felt as outsiders.

Otto - I agree they should get the higher pay, but with DL salaries getting so low, higher DGS pay is going to put them higher than ACS folks.

DGS employees do not feel like they are incorporated because most of the employees remaining in the station are resentful toward them. That's not an excuse since the DGS people didn't make the decision to go contract but in most cases they are made to feel like the red headed stepchildren.
Over-moderation sucks

BR715-A1-30

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
At least the new folks won't have large aircraft to deal with seeing how it's mostly M88/CRJ land down here now.

That is quite a shame.. I remember back in July 2001, when there were 767-200s and 767-300s coming in. Also there was an MD-90 (2 I think) and... oy, MSY used to be a VARIETY of aircraft. Now there are nothing but a couple of 737s, a 757 here and there, an MD-80 and a bunch of CRJs/ERJs.
Puhdiddle

drewwright

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:25 am

Its not suprizing though if you look at the big picture. AA used to bring in DC10's. Eastern with its L10 and BA with its 747. MSY really cant support such a overcapacity especially for the next few years, at least until everything gets back to normal god willing.

drw

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos