Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MGASJO
Topic Author

Arrow Cargo DC10 Skids Off Rwy In Managua MGA

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 am

Arrow's DC10 N68047 (former Continental's and Emery WorldWide) landed quite heavy in MGA and was unable to stop. Plane skided off rwy about 200 mts after the end of RWY 09. No link, no pics yet, I just saw it on the news. Crew is Ok, just some bruises, but they're ok. Engines 1 and 3 took it pretty bad with all the vegetation at the end of the rwy. From what I saw on the news no visible damage to fuselage.
I will update when able.
Endless Reserve

MGASJO
Topic Author

RE: Arrow Cargo DC10 Skids Off Rwy In Managua MGA

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:35 am

I would like to add that RWYs are closed and all flights cancelled until further notice
Endless Reserve

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:48 am

Did They touchdown late.Any Link.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MGASJO
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:45 am

Here's a link from La Prensa. I guess it requires registration. I do have the picture saved, if you want it, msg me and I will email it

Avión de carga se sale de pista de aterrizaje
Endless Reserve

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:50 am

Is it in English.
regds
MEL

justplanes

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:56 am

Just go to the front page of the newspaper
http://www.laprensa.com.ni/
and the picture is there....

Don't you hate all those newspapers you have to register for to see the news!

MGASJO
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:02 am

Here's the report from La Prensa. I'll translate it

Un avión de carga de la línea aérea Arrow Airlines procedente de Miami se accidentó hoy a las 5:13 a.m. en el Aeropuerto Internacional Managua sin dejar víctimas que lamentar.
El gerente del Aeropuerto Internacional, Alfredo Chamorro explicó en conferencia de prensa que el avión sobrepasó la pista de aterrizaje de 2,400 metros.
El avión se desplazó unos 350 metros antes de detenerse exactamente en el cerco del camino de Sabana Grande.
Aparentemente el avión DC - 10 tuvo una falla en el tren de aterrizada, pero las autoridades del aeropuerto no confirmaron esta versión y sólo se limitaron a informar que realizarán las investigaciones necesarias para determinar que ocasionó el incidente.
"Se siguió el procedimiento del Coe, Centro de Operaciones de Emergencia, gracias a Dios no hay víctimas que lamentar", dijo el gerente de Aeropuerto Internacional.
Los tres pilotos que venían a bordo del avión fueron atendidos inmediatamente en un puesto médico ubicado en el aeropuerto y se encuentran bien de salud.
Hubo un derrame de combustible que también fue controlado por los bomberos para evitar un incendio.
Chamorro agregó que se han suspendidos seis vuelos de líneas aéreas comerciales, por el accidente y actualmente trabajan para lograr normalizar las operaciones del aeropuerto.

A cargo airplane from Arrow Airlines, inbound from Miami, crashed today at 05.13am local ti'me at the Managua International Airport, with no victims to report.
Alfredo Chamorro, the airport's manager, explained in a press conference that the airplane over ran the 2,400 mt runway.
The aircraft over ran the rwy some 350 mts before coming to a stop on the fence of the Sabana Grande road.
Apparently the DC-10 had a failure in the landing gear, but airport authorities did not confirm this versio and only reported that they are investigating to determine what caused the incident.
"EOC's (Emergency Operations Center) procedures were followed, thank god there were no victims", said the airport manager.
All 3 pilots were attended inmediatly by a medical unit at the airport and are reported in good health-
There was a fuel spill that was controlled by the airport's fire department to avoid a fire.
Chamorro added that 6 comercial airlines flights were cancelled due to the accident and they are actually working to get operations back to normal
Endless Reserve

wjcandee

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:26 am

The later report from La Prensa now says something like:

At 10:30am the Civil Aeronautics authority authorized resumption of operations at Managua International Airport, following the emergency that began at 5:13am today when a cargo aircraft of Arrow Airways, coming in from Miami, had its brakes fail after it had touched down on the runway. The DC-10 aircraft, N-68047, coming from Miami, was carrying 110,000 pounds of cargo among which were some items considered to be dangerous, as well as radioactive substances, although, according to the head of operations at the fireman's command post, Jorge Martinez, the radioactivity is low-category. The cargo also included corrosive products like sulfuric acid, organic citrus acid, hydrochlorate acid, mercury dioxide, methanol, compressed gas and paint. The impact of the aircraft at landing caused a fissure in the left wing of the aircraft, which caused a fuel spill that was controlled by the firemen to avoid a fire or explosion. The authorities have stated that the crew was unharmed. The pilot of the aircraft is Captain Matus Catchetell, the copilot was Alonso Henry and the flight engineer was Lazaro Vega.

airliner777

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:23 am

Sad news for Arrow!  Sad

MGASJO
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 am

The airplane was moved away from the end of the RWY today. ILS was destroyed, so no ILS on MGA for a long time.
Endless Reserve

airbusA346

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Is there any photos.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

HAWK21M

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 9):
ILS was destroyed, so no ILS on MGA for a long time

What damage to the ILS.
regds
MEL

na

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:22 pm

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20060604-0

Damage is similar to the Tradewinds 742F which overran at Medellin. Sadly only 1% chance one of these two old freighters will fly again.

bennett123

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Is there any further news?

David

HAWK21M

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:07 pm

Whats the Latest update on both Aircraft & Equipment.
regds
MEL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos