Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DC10GUY
Topic Author

RE: Fedex Rumours

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:57 am

I think the "what will Fedex replace their 727's with?" question could come close to the " what will NW replace thier DC9's with ?" question. I think Fedex wants a narrow body 2 pilot jet for the small towns. Fred Smith said that flying freight to the US from china includes flying it from the gateways to the cites across north America too. Since Fedex loves Airbus I wonder why Airbus hasn't offered a A320/321F ? Or a Boeing 737-900xf ???
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

GPS787

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 am

"can someone tell me why the 757 line closed?"

Simple economics. The end of the orderbase was in sight, it was being out sold by the competition and frankly it didn't look like many more orders would be rolling in. Boeing doesn't build whitetails and there were new things on the horizon. So the decision, no matter how hard it was, was made and the line was ended forever.

I always liked the 757 to look at but not to ride in unless it was up front. The cattle car (3X3) was never my favorite.

-GPS787
I feel the need to go screaming through the air in a pressurized metal(??!??) tube...

FXMD11

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Flywithjohn (Reply 15):
It's simple they want a 2X2 plane that they can buy both cheap and keep it running cheap and meets requirements for it's pretacesors. 727 this leaves A300/310 767 the bus's are harder to find there's not as many and what there is in flight without retirment plans that leaves 767 CHEAP! to buy CHEAP! to run CARRIES! ALOT!

Correct. Cheap is the key here. FX is not prepared to put a large order in and wait for up to 5 years to get replacements delivered. Something is needed as
we speak. The market for used freighters is a seller market at the moment and it is predictated that there will be a complete shortage of some equipment in the next 5 - 10 years.

Personally, I like the TU-204 idea. This could be an equipment used in Europe and Asia. The Russian Market for example is enormous and having a local model in place might be a good idea. Deutsche Post DPWN / DHL are on a large expansion course there and their CEO Dr.Klaus Zumwinkl is considering a
hefty investment in Russia.

These are my 2 cents (this is all we have at FDX)

tjwgrr

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 50):
Since Fedex loves Airbus I wonder why Airbus hasn't offered a A320/321F

Here ya go:

Modified Airliner Photos:
Click here for bigger photo!
Design © Michel Gilliand
Template © Michel Gilliand

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

MaartenV

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:36 pm

About the possibility of ex Ryanair 737-800's for FedEx, when Ryanair ordered their last bunch of 738s, they said that the order was partially for expansion and partially to replace their oldest 738s.

So it does makes sense that FedEx is talking with FR about taking over a bunch of 738s.
Its all about supply and demand...

CosmicCruiser

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:27 pm

Keep on guessing. When it's purple and red, on the ramp and I have a class date it will be a fact, not till then.

ha763

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:56 am

Well, FX could have had all the 757s they wanted. It was reported that Boeing offered FX a good deal on new-build 757Fs, but FX turned them down and Boeing soon after decided to close the 757 line.

Revelation

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 22):
I'd like to add that FedEx generally doesn't buy new airplanes. If 150 757s were available in any form, they probably wouldn't be coming from Boeing directly.

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 29):
I read an article explaining, at the time, there were 30+ 757 for sale in deserts around the SW. Sales had dropped. The 737-900 has the same capacity, but not the same performance.

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 56):
Well, FX could have had all the 757s they wanted. It was reported that Boeing offered FX a good deal on new-build 757Fs, but FX turned them down and Boeing soon after decided to close the 757 line.

A clear picture emerges when you combine these three quotes. In the past, FedEx was not buying many new aircraft, preferring to buy used, so it's clear Boeing wasn't going to mothball the 757 line hoping some day FedEx would change its traditional behavior. And they had a record backlog of 737NGs to build so convering the line over to 737NG made perfect sense. Besides, it's not just Boeing to consider, you have to consider the rest of the 757 supply chain too: would they commit to mothballing all their facilities too?

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 50):
Since Fedex loves Airbus I wonder why Airbus hasn't offered a A320/321F ?

This was discussed in the following (very good) thread: FedEx Replacing 727 With? (by Flywithjohn Apr 22 2006 in Civil Aviation)

My $0.02: 767 and A300 are too big for 727 replacement. I think the next used airframe that can serve as a 727 replacement that Airbus could acquire cheaply is the A320. We've already seen some of them scrapped, and there's a fair number of them hitting the 15-20 year mark where they typically get sent to the desert. Until that happens, the 727 will continue to serve.

I don't see any other scenario that makes sense. FedEx isn't going to replace 100+ narrowbodies with widebodies - they just don't need that much extra capacity and don't have the ramp space for them. They can't get new narrowbodies: both A320 and 737NG have several years of backlog. The older 737s don't have the lift to hope to replace 727s. Refurbished A320s (perhaps with uprated engines and some strengthening) can do the job. Right now, used A320s are hard to find, but I think that will change fairly soon.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

timeair

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:06 am

What about the A321?? Does it not have similar dims to the 757?? Not sure about the performance/range if FEDEX was looking at using them for transatlantic, but volume should be relatively close??
You can't get there from here.

wjcandee

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 57):
Refurbished A320s (perhaps with uprated engines and some strengthening) can do the job.

Does the A320 have the stuctural capability without major revision to handle a cargo door and cargo floor loadings, as well as enough distance between the engine and the cargo door to *conveniently* and reliably load cargo without a zillion ramp incidents? (The 737 really requires kid gloves as far as the latter issue goes.)

memphis

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting NASOCEANA (Reply 44):
They only draw back of the B757 and B767 would be the additional Ramp space that FedEx would need to acquire which could be a significant cost.

This is one of the points that I hear being brought up at FedEx in MEM. We are almost at capacity right now! In a recent meeting with the V.P. of the Hub, he talked about a trip he made out to "the desert" to look at A/C. I don't know what he was looking at, or how great a deal it would have been. I do know this, the 727 is an incredible A/C, I don't see it being completely removed from the fleet for some time, however, the few remaining 100s are almost gone, 5 left. I see FX maybe getting the 757, it is a little bigger in regards to ramp space, yet the fuselage width is comparable to the 727 and therefore, little would have to be changed in the container layout of the A/C versus the 727. I don't see the 767 in FedEx, it is too big for a replacement, too close in size to the A300. However, I wish we had bought 767s instead of A300/A310s. I prefer Boeing!
nocturnal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos