Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

An225
Topic Author

El-Al Will Probably Will Not Buy Airbus - Again

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:05 am

Here we go again folks!
The Mediterranean bazaar is open for business - in El-Al case....

The Israeli "The Marker" business magazine has reported today that El Al will not buy any Airbus planes this time. Since the article is in Hebrew only, here are the highlights:
A high ranking official from El Al has said it is unlikely that the airline will purchase Airbus products. The reason for that is that the airline will have to replace its maintenance systems and infrastructure (e.g. maintenance systems, tools, warehouses, etc.) or build seperate systems. He says that previous statements that were made officially by one of the airline owners, such as "Airbus has the lead" were made to pressure Boeing to offer a better bargain on the 787.
As mentioned before, the purchase of up to 10 new aircraft which will cost more than a 500 million USD is a part of El Al strategic plan.

Well, what do you say?
IMHO, El-Al will not purchase Airbus, but who knows?

rjpieces

RE: El-Al Will Probably Will Not Buy Airbus - Again

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:06 am

Purchasing A330s now, with the 787 and A370 or whatever they are calling it these days on the horizon, is foolish.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

An225
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 am

You will not think that this is foolish if you had the bad experiance of flying on one of the airline' 767's. These machines are in a very bad shape due to old age, and are needed urjent replacement.

Uz

kanebear

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting An225 (Reply 2):
You will not think that this is foolish if you had the bad experiance of flying on one of the airline' 767's. These machines are in a very bad shape due to old age, and are needed urjent replacement.

Making a long term purchase based upon short term need is a very bad business decision. If the 767s are that poor, LY can simply lease aircraft until their order is delivered or negotiate with Boeing for interim aircraft to use.

WINGS

RE: El-Al Will Probably Will Not Buy Airbus - Agai

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting An225 (Thread starter):
Well, what do you say?
IMHO, El-Al will not purchase Airbus, but who knows?

Well if the following statement is true (translated well) than those which are running EL AL are a bunch of idiots. Their is life after the B787. They are basically throwing sand in Airbus eyes.

He says that previous statements that were made officially by one of the airline owners, such as "Airbus has the lead" were made to pressure Boeing to offer a better bargain on the 787.

This high ranking official has lost a good opportunity to shut his mouth.

Hopefully Boeing will screw EL AL with high prices next time around.

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

GBan

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:43 am

He says that previous statements that were made officially by one of the airline owners, such as "Airbus has the lead" were made to pressure Boeing to offer a better bargain on the 787.

Is he making his own statement to get a higher price on the 787?

travelin man

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:46 am

I never trust what "high-ranking officials" say in newspapers. What would be the motivation to admit that the only reason you were speaking to Airbus was to get Boeing to lower the price?

As far as I know El Al has not signed any purchase contracts yet, so why would you blow your negotiating leverage? (with BOTH manufacturers)

Stitch

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting WINGS (Reply 4):
Well if the following statement is true (translated well) than those which are running EL AL are a bunch of idiots.

Was it not IB whom used the false support of Boeing products to extract a better price from Airbus when they eventually selected their product?

[Edited 2006-06-06 20:48:26]

Beaucaire

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:59 am

The reason for that is that the airline will have to replace its maintenance systems and infrastructure (e.g. maintenance systems, tools, warehouses, etc.) or build seperate systems

The 787 will require very special maintenance tools and training anyhow -so what's the difference ????
Repair on a 787 cell or wing will be a different story all over compared to anything any airline has done in terms of sytems life-support techniques. and/or material knowledge .
Nothing against the 787 wich will be a killer aircraft- but the reasons given by this El Al manager are a little stupid....
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

WINGS

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 7):
Was it not IB whom used the false support of Boeing products to extract a better price from Airbus when they eventually selected their product?

Did a senior IB official actually mentioned that the only reason that they invited Boeing to submit an offer was to persuade Airbus to lower the price tag?

Can you see the difference here?

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

Stitch

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 8):
The 787 will require very special maintenance tools and training anyhow -so what's the difference?

Boeing will, for a fee, handle all maintenance issues on a 787 as part of their "Gold Service Package" or whatever they call it. So El Al will not need to invest any money into maintaining the plane, instead just outsourcing it all to Boeing.

An225
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:03 am

When I wrote that "The Mediterranean bazaar is open for business" I used the word "bazaar" for a very good reason.
Just to remind to those that don't remember the last episode in El Al RFP from A & B. When they decided to purchase new planes a few years ago they used the same tactics as they are doing now. Airbus offered their A340 and Boeing the 747 and 777. El Al said that it will take Airbus planes this time, and break Boeing's hold on the Israeli market for the first time. Such a statement caused one hell of a havoc: The US gov applied pressure on the Israeli government to force El Al to buy American products, since it was not a private company at that time. Their argument was that 'since Israel is getting billions of $ from the American taxpayer money, they should purchase American products'.
And guess what happened at the end? El Al bought Boeing and not Airbus but still acted till the last minute as if they are going to do the opposite.

FlyingDove

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 10):
Boeing will, for a fee, handle all maintenance issues on a 787 as part of their "Gold Service Package" or whatever they call it. So El Al will not need to invest any money into maintaining the plane, instead just outsourcing it all to Boeing.

How will this work? Will Boeing actually do the work in TLV or will the planes have to be brought to Europe or Seatle?

Stitch

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting WINGS (Reply 9):
Did a senior IB official actually mentioned that the only reason that they invited Boeing to submit an offer was to persuade Airbus to lower the price tag? Can you see the difference here?

I don't know if they did, but it's evidently "common knowledge" (based on the number of times it's been mentioned here) so I imagine if El Al announced a 787 order at a favorable price, Airbus should be able to add 2+2 together as well as Boeing did on the IB deal and figure out they were played. At which point, announcing it publically is poor sportsmanship on the part of El Al, but I doubt Airbus will refuse to take their calls going forward, just as I am sure Boeing answers the phone when IB calls. I just expect either manufacturer not to put too much time or effort into the sales calls, that's all.  Smile

airmailer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting An225 (Reply 2):

Uz

Why not just do like AC and DL and update the cabin?

I personally love flying on the 767. You can't beat having only 1 middle seat per row.

ikramerica

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:25 am

I'll wait till it happens to feel completely vindicated, but there would be a major disconnect in reality if El Al gave business like this to France and Germany over the USA considering the difference in foreign policy and public support between these countries, not to mention France's strong ties with Israel's enemies.

Politics count, even for a private company.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

WINGS

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 13):
I don't know if they did, but it's evidently "common knowledge" (based on the number of times it's been mentioned here)

Well just because it's constantly being repeated on A.net does not make it factually true.

Either way I still believe that this senior official is a complete idiot for stating such things in the public domain.

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting WINGS (Reply 4):
which are running EL AL are a bunch of idiots

They're more profitable than...all of the legacy carriers in the US. El Al has a very fine management team which has been making important changes in the past few years.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

An225
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 17):
They're more profitable than...all of the legacy carriers in the US. El Al has a very fine management team which has been making important changes in the past few years

Well..... Lets see:
El Al has reported a short while ago that they won't see a profitable year in 2006. They are now in the red.
And about the management. It is true that the Burovich brothers, the owners of El Al (former owners of AIZ), are good airline managers, but their reputation was severly tainted since the collapse of a major supermarket chain which thay ownd as part of their business empire. This collapse was one of the worst in Israel history, and their conduct was very very bad.

Beaucaire

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):
I'll wait till it happens to feel completely vindicated, but there would be a major disconnect in reality if El Al gave business like this to France and Germany over the USA considering the difference in foreign policy and public support between these countries, not to mention France's strong ties with Israel's enemies.

Simply a wrong,old statement that does not become true ,simply because it's repeated permanentely.
If Germany provides and sponsors your Delfin Submarines by 40 %,it's defenitely not because german foreign policy is so much apart from Israel's...
And if there is one country that does support Israel (more than the public ever realizes..)it's Germany next to the USA...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Johnny

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:10 am

El AL will never buy Airbus-Airplanes.

It is a waste of time and motivation for the Airbus Sales-Team.

Johnny  Smile

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 19):
Simply a wrong,old statement that does not become true ,simply because it's repeated permanentely.
If Germany provides and sponsors your Delfin Submarines by 40 %,it's defenitely not because german foreign policy is so much apart from Israel's...
And if there is one country that does support Israel (more than the public ever realizes..)it's Germany next to the USA...

Agree 100%...Germany has been a very good friend to Israel over the years. France on the other hand....

PlaneHunter

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 22):
Germany? A good friend to Israel? Never thought I'd hear THAT phrase spoken for the rest of time...

It's 2006 and not 1944.

Although when, in the last century, one nation obliterates six million citizens of another nation, you wouldn't expect them to turn around and order airplanes from you...

Israel and Germany have had intensive trade relations over the last few decades. Get your facts straight.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

saturn5

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:44 am

I agree with some here. Politics should be kept far from business but if there is one exception to this rule it is in this case. Israel has very few friends among EU members and many actually are outright hostile to them. El-Al should buy American unless the aircraft makes absolutely no sense to them.

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:03 am

Germany? A good friend to Israel? Never thought I'd hear THAT phrase spoken for the rest of time...

Relations difficult for many years after the Holocaust, but Germany has gone out of their way over the years to look out for Israel for obvious reasons....Just as the United States and Israel have a "special relationship", so too do Germany and Israel.

StarGoldLHR

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 7):

This is what separates centuries old mediterreanean camel traders from US Businessmen..

it's the way you do business...

Europeans slate a product they want inorder to achieve a price. The more "clout" you have the higher the risk or rewards.

If you say "no way not ever ever will I do this" it sets a challenge for the recipient to: 1. Convert, 2. Win, 3. Achieve higher esteem amongst peers who witness it...

or 1. Admit defeat, 2. Retreat, 3. Lose Face amongst peers.

Airbus could always come back and say "EL AL is too cheap for quality, Unworthy of Credit and they refuse to do business in a war zone"... which sets an inverse challenge to El Al.

Don't forget Airbus's market to the Arab world is worth much more than the israeli world.

Boeing may be the loser here, so best they sit on the fence until the camel trading is done.

If Airbus screw too hard Boeing could win with a higher price.
however if they exploit the situation they could take themselves out of the bidding completely.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

boeingfever777

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 1):
Purchasing A330s now, with the 787 and A370 or whatever they are calling it these days on the horizon, is foolish.

What are you saying is foolish?

So are all A350 customers looking at other options now? QR, LY, SU, AY.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

Stitch

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting Flyingdove (Reply 12):
How will this work? Will Boeing actually do the work in TLV or will the planes have to be brought to Europe or Seatle?

I don't know the specifics of the program, but I have to imagine that if the issue requires an on-site fix, Boeing will send the repair teams out to do it. They do so now for their Al planes.

aeroplan73

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting AirMailer (Reply 14):

AC may be updating the 767 interior, but the planes are still ancient. At some point the cost of upgrades and extra maintenance can't be econimical.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

boeingbus

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:09 am

Look folks please accept the fact that the 787 is the 'best of show'. Airlines who want a new midsize longhaul jet will find the 787 being the most versatile, best economics, amazing performance characteristics, and an unbeatable value. and there is no if's and's or buts about that.

Airbus needs to get serious with its products and come up with a real solution and not patched A330 versions. Airbus fans need to realize that their wide body jets are inferior to its competitor. This is with politics and with out politics. BUt I have hopes that Airbus will launch something real nice this July... BUt right now, Airbus seems more concerned about killing the 777 than offering a real solution to airlines wanting a midsized jet. sad to see this...

Congrats to El Al...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

Gemuser

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 am

Quoting Flyingdove (Reply 12):
Quoting Stitch (Reply 10):

From what I "hear" Boeing is offering this "Gold Service Package" to ALL 787 buyers and it can include EVERYTHING needed to operate the aircraft from ramp rats to load & fuel it to Flight crew, cabin & technical, and ALL the bits in between. All for the appropirate fee, of course.

I would expect if they get enough takers they would establish one or two O/H & repair centres in low cost countries to handle the work. My guess would be China and Brazil? They would also have to have mobile response teams, but Boeing have had these since the 1970s, at least.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Skydrol

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting An225 (Reply 2):

Uz

I personally love flying on the 767. You can't beat having only 1 middle seat per row.

Totally agree with AirMailer. 767 has to be the best Y seat layout there is.

Having flown in 767s EAE, EAF and EAJ a few times, all I can say is the cabins were in mint condition and spotless. Even the seat tracks were totally clean!

Unless they are mechancally unreliable (not on flights I have been on), don't know what the big urgency to replace is. Or maybe it is the oldest 767s EAA - EAD Uz is refering to?

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

sparkingwave

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Quoting An225 (Reply 2):

A decent D-check should fix that problem. I thought El Al had better maintenance of its planes, as a defensive measure against terrorist attack.

SparkingWave ~~~
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

Johnny

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:59 pm

LET US STOP THESE POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE.

[Edited 2006-06-07 11:02:22]

distanthorizon

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:24 pm

That is an extremely ignorant statement. Hope you one day will know that.
Regards
Nelson SE

4xRuv

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:37 pm

I totally agree with you. Its a widebody, but feels so intimate.

I know LY has done a lot of re-furbishment on the old 767s (some are done, some are still waiting).

I really don't get the A370. What's the difference between the 350 and the 370?

HS748

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Of course El AL won't buy Airbus and that's hardly news is it! As long as the Israeli government relies on the US (and who can see a time when it won't?) then Boeing will win every time. It's called geopolitics.

Tancrede

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Saturn5 (Reply 23):
I agree with some here. Politics should be kept far from business but if there is one exception to this rule it is in this case. Israel has very few friends among EU members and many actually are outright hostile to them. El-Al should buy American unless the aircraft makes absolutely no sense to them.

Then, honestly, I really don't understand why in Europe we fly with Boeing's airplanes, which are generally of lesser quality (mostly on the safety side), when most of the population of this continent is anti-America.

I believe my argument is stupid, as much as yours.

OldAeroGuy

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 37):
Boeing's airplanes, which are generally of lesser quality (mostly on the safety side),

Any proof for this statement?

The data I have says that Airbus and Boeing airplanes of the same generation have essentially equal safety records.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

777jaah

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting OldAeroGuy (Reply 38):
Any proof for this statement?

Quoting OldAeroGuy (Reply 38):
Then, honestly, I really don't understand why in Europe we fly with Boeing's airplanes, which are generally of lesser quality (mostly on the safety side), when most of the population of this continent is anti-America.

I believe my argument is stupid, as much as yours.

Just spend 5 more seconds f your precious time and read the whole reply before going nuts on someone.............

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

Johnny

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:41 pm

The quality of Boeing airplanes was an issue from time to time, but it has been improved a lot.And it was never a safety problem!!!

Boeing now has reached Airbus quality standard and that is a benefit for all of us!

Johnny  Smile

boeingbus

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting Johnny (Reply 40):
Boeing now has reached Airbus quality standard and that is a benefit for all of us!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry dude... but did you wake up from a dream?
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

semsem

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:01 am

Just because the 767 is in bad condition inside does not mean they have to buy "new planes." They can modernise the inside. Many airlines do that.
LY will never buy non US aircraft.

EL-AL

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:48 am

Well, all those who are saying "we told you so" are right.

When I first read about the decision to add A330 to LY's fleet I tought it is a mistake, because the A330 can be a good replacement for the 762s for like 10-12 years, then LY will have to more, like the rest of the aviation world, to more advence jets, that means new generation 787 or A350, so as B747-8 & A380 to replace LY's B747-400 (LY's oldest B744 is 12 years old now, 4X-ELA).

I have to say that this time i tought it is for real, El Al is really finelly about to get thier first European plane since the Britannia 313 was removed from El Al service back in 1957.

I believe that this is a good move for El Al, the same day i read the A330 story, I wrote in an Israeli aviation forum that I think El Al sould replace the B767, B757 & 747 in 777ER & 777LR, 787 & 747-8, and I still think so.

Maybe Israir, launching thier regular Tel Aviv - New York - Tel Aviv route this summer, will be the first Israeli airline to operate Airbus jets. Former Israir CEO, Sabina Biran, mentioned that they want the 777 or A340 for Israir.
every day is a good day to fly

Johnny

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:08 am

@ BoeingBus

No, but i work for an airline which operates both A and B...

Wink

slider

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Johnny (Reply 33):
LET US STOP THESE POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE.

Why? The issue is very much rooted in politics.

OldAeroGuy

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 39):
Just spend 5 more seconds f your precious time and read the whole reply before going nuts on someone.............

It's difficult to tell what part of his statement he thought was stupid and safety is too important a topic to allow mis-information to proliferate.

And if you think my low key response was going nuts, how long have you read A.net?
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

eal46859

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:20 am

As a relative new comer to this site, why does every discussion that remotely compares Boeing to Airbus turn into a kind of Ford vs Chevy debate?

boeingfever777

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:40 am

I really don't understand why in Europe we fly with Boeing's airplanes, which are generally of lesser quality (mostly on the safety side),

Foolish statement of the year goes to you for what just came out their. Your source for this?

Quoting Johnny (Reply 40):

LOL... Runner-up for Foolish statement of the year!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

Tancrede

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 48):
I really don't understand why in Europe we fly with Boeing's airplanes, which are generally of lesser quality (mostly on the safety side),

Foolish statement of the year goes to you for what just came out their. Your source for this?

To understand the meaning, you should read the entire statement, as someone already referred it. And if you still don't understand, then I cannot do anything more for you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos