Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kearnet
Topic Author

Pax Returning Home, Ends Up At MHT Instead Of MAN

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:34 am

(I didn't see any other threads on this, my apologies if I missed it).

Apparently, this isn't the first time that it's happened.

What I found odd is that as the article is written, it seems the guy realized the problem before he boarded the ERJ for MHT, but he went anyway.

*sarcasm* Furthermore, I don't know what the guys problem is, I think he would have felt right at home in the "Queen city" (Official nickname), being a Brit and all. Also, there are tons of pubs in and around ManchVegas (what us young locals call the MHT area).  Smile *End sarcasm*

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic...n_ends_up_in_the_wrong_manchester/
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

Aeroflot777

RE: Pax Returning Home, Ends Up At MHT Instead Of MAN

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:40 am

Yeah, I think there have been a few other mix ups such as this int eh past. But nonetheless, I think its hilarious how these things happen!

Aeroflot777

PDXflyer31

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:47 am

I almost think the guy purposely went on to the other Manchester, because he realized the airline would likely arrange for him to connect to the right Manchester free of charge. He must of thought "hmm, wherever this other Manchester is, why don't I go there and do some sightseeing? Its a free flight there after all"

highguy76

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:59 pm

"Wait...you mean this isn't Birmingham, Alabama. Gosh, I thought that flight seemed a little long. I had no idea there was a Birmingham, England"

This has happened more than a few times. In order to avoid immigration headaches, the pax (who probably do not have passports or papers) are usually not allowed to enter the country, but turned back around and sent back to the US on the return flight.

Highguy76

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting Highguy76 (Reply 3):
"Wait...you mean this isn't Birmingham, Alabama. Gosh, I thought that flight seemed a little long. I had no idea there was a Birmingham, England"

Hey, that ain't funny . . . when I tried to make a reservation on the "new US" website several weeks ago the site refused to finish the res, instead it told me to call this 800 number . . . which I did.

The person I spoke with - in the Phillipines - was all prepared to send me to Birmingham, England . . . only after several explanations did it sink in that I WANTED to go to Alabama . . . no, really - Alabama . . . yup, A L A B A M A. That's correct, Birmingham, BHM, yup . . .

. . . . . .

Sounds to me like no one played this very smart. Of course, I have to instantly question the intelligence of the passenger.

And then I have to wonder about CO's agents also . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Revelation

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:29 pm

Brit wants to get to MAN, but ends up in MHT!  silly 

http://www.boston.com/news/necn/

Click on "British man ends up in wrong Manchester"

Jim says, "Manchester is nice, but it could use a few more pubs"...  drunk 
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

HS748

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 5):
Jim says, "Manchester is nice, but it could use a few more pubs"..

What else would you expect a scouser to say!

[Edited 2006-06-08 12:49:11]

raffik

Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:50 pm

I remember reading about the honey moon couple who ended up in Sydney, Canada instead of Australia a few years ago!
- Alec

MANmatt

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:39 am

A colleague of mine was approached by a lady once asking where this airline was. It was one neither of us had heard of, even me being an aviation buff hadn't heard of them. He asked he where she was going, and she said Toronto, showing us. It turned out her sister had booked the flight, from MHT to YYZ. The lady just laughed and said "oh dear! I thought it was a bit short for a flight to Toronto!" Big grin

Matt

DavidT

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:51 am

It's not as bad as I thought, it looks like he actually booked to go to MHT. Why else would he have willingly got off at CLE? In which case the gate agents wouldn't have noticed much wrong...

Still I bet he thought he'd got a bargain.

PVD757

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:11 am

Back in my AA days, I had a pax come off an inbound JFK Eagle SF3 that belonged in Providenciales (PLS) but the agent in MIA though he said Providence, so she booked him to PVD...

DLPMMM

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting DavidT (Reply 9):
It's not as bad as I thought, it looks like he actually booked to go to MHT. Why else would he have willingly got off at CLE? In which case the gate agents wouldn't have noticed much wrong...

Probably the check-in agent at LAX told him he would transfer in CLE (as he had to transfer somewhere, CO does not fly LAX-MAN).

Sounds to me like the fault of the check-in agent at LAX.

Although it is likely that the passenger rode on the little bus to school.
 Wink

DavidT

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:38 am

CO does fly EWR-MAN, I would have assumed he'd fly LAX-EWR-MAN (As opposed to LAX-CLE-EWR-MAN).

JGPH1A

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
only after several explanations did it sink in that I WANTED to go to Alabama . . . no, really - Alabama . . . yup, A L A B A M A. That's correct, Birmingham, BHM, yup . . .

That's because U.S. Airways has probably invested a lot of time training their sales reps that NOBODY actually wants to go to Alabama, and that anyone who says they do is suffering from mental bewilderment, and needs help. Hence the website refusing the booking - the 800 number is actually the helpline for Deludeds Anonymous  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

manc

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 6):

Nail on the head!
No URL in signature please

citationjet

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:27 am

There was the famous Auckland and Oakland mix-up years ago when the passenger going domestically to Oakland ended up in Auckland.

That is not the first time that a Brit has gone to the wrong country. Do you know the way to San Jose????

A 3,000-mile error on way to San Jose
The Telegraph (UK) ^ | 06/01/2002 | Nigel Bunyan

Posted on 05/31/2002 5:31:34 PM PDT by dighton
A British holidaymaker was taken 3,000 miles out of her way after landing in San Jose, Costa Rica, instead of the city with the same name - in California.
Trudy Rosenfield, 70, only discovered the error when she awoke to find an air stewardess discretely welcoming her to Costa Rica.
Yesterday, having arrived at her correct destination after an extra 72-hour journey, she said: “I know the way to San Jose. But it’s obvious that somebody doesn’t.”
Mrs Rosenfield, a retired shop manager, from Whitefield, Manchester, booked her trip through a travel agency in Bury.
She had an uneventful journey to Newark, and then boarded the flight demanded by her itinerary. Unfortunately for her, it was heading not west but very much south.
In Costa Rica she was put up in a hotel before taking flights first to Houston and then California.
Hilary Rosenfield, 35, said her mother failed to notice the error because she was so tired. She had, however, been slightly confused by the number of Spanish-speaking passengers around her.
Last night, staff at Travelcare in Bury were investigating. A spokesman said: “It would appear that there has been a serious misunderstanding.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/692778/posts

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

DFW13L

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:40 pm

Quoting DavidT (Reply 9):
Why else would he have willingly got off at CLE?

Continental has a 752 that runs CLE-LGW. They could have thought he'd do that and hop on a flight to MAN from there.
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos