Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

legion242
Topic Author

Dallas/Ft Worth Agree To Wright Compromise

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:37 am

Just came over the wires:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...wfaa060609_lj_wright.6cb8bcd7.html

Essentially, SW to be limited to 18 gates and WA dissolved over 9 years with through ticketing available right away.

AA likely to leave DAL altogether.
Don't make me release the monkeys!!

DLKAPA

RE: Dallas/Ft Worth Agree To Wright Compromise

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:41 am

Finally!

If nothing else, this should free up some bandwidth on a.net.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

MaartenV

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Legion242 (Thread starter):
Essentially, SW to be limited to 18 gates

I doubt WN will accept a 18 gate limit since it seems to me that they would not be able to develop a nationwide network to its full capabilities with just 18 gates.

Why in the world do they need 9 years to for it to dissolve?

In my opinion it is weird that they need to negotiate with the Ft. Worth mayor. Although they are involved in DFW and certainly will suffer if DFW would suffer, Love Field is in Dallas and not in Ft. Worth so they shouldn't be able to have any influence on Love Field, just like Dallas has nothing to say about AFW and other fields in Ft. Worth. I do see that it would be nice if Ft. Worth but I don't think they need to havew any influence on this decision.
Its all about supply and demand...

thomasphoto60

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 1):

Don't hold your breath.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

RL757PVD

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:50 am

The 18 gate limitation is hardly a limitation by WN standards, at 10 flights per gate thats still 180 daily flights. Only in a few cities like BWI MDW PHX and maybe a couple of others does WN have more than 20 gates.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

RL757PVD

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:55 am

WN cities Gates and flights (from SW media site)

LAX 12 gates 118 daily
PHX 24 gates 200 daily
HOU 24 gates 134 daily
BWI 19 gates 165 daily
MDW 29 gates 200 daily
LAS 21 gates 216 daily

WN shouldnt have a problem with being limited to 18 gates.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

iairallie

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 4):
The 18 gate limitation is hardly a limitation by WN standards

Yeah, why would they view it as a limitation. In 20 years when it becomes an issue for them WN can start whining about how Wright II is unfair, anti-capitalist etc and get it repealed. Looks like that approach will work for them on Wright I.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

deltaffindfw

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting MaartenV (Reply 2):
In my opinion it is weird that they need to negotiate with the Ft. Worth mayor. Although they are involved in DFW and certainly will suffer if DFW would suffer, Love Field is in Dallas and not in Ft. Worth so they shouldn't be able to have any influence on Love Field, just like Dallas has nothing to say about AFW and other fields in Ft. Worth. I do see that it would be nice if Ft. Worth but I don't think they need to havew any influence on this decision.

Why?? Because Ft. Worth owns half of DFW airport, and if there is going to be new air service in Dallas, Ft. Worth could lose revenue from pax flying out of Love instead of DFW. Of course they have an opinion and a right to be heard. They also now that there is a snowballs chance in hell that meaningful commercial service will start at either AFW or FTW. Dallas wins either way since they own all or part of both airports.

TVNWZ

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:35 am

Won't fly.

Is there any other airline arbitrarily gate limited at any other airport in the country?

MaartenV

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Reply 7):
Of course they have an opinion and a right to be heard.

I'm not saying they don't have the right to have an opinion, but they shouldn't have any influence on the final decision since Love Field does not fall under their responsibility.

They also now that there is a snowballs chance in hell that meaningful commercial service will start at either AFW or FTW.

That's true, but lets say there was a carrier that wanted to move from DFW to either FTW or AFW and start a nationwide network from there with planes with more then 56 seats, causing a drop in passenger numbers at DFW.
Would the city of Ft. Worth also complain then? No, they would probably say: "There are no restrictions on FTW (or AFW), so there is no reason to forbid these new services."

Dallas wins either way since they own all or part of both airports.

So Dallas has a better position in the market, should they be punished for that?

The Wright Amendment is just a law that goes completely against the spirit of the free market and is just there to protect DFW against DAL, nothing more, nothing less.

OzarkD9S

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:44 am

Great news for WN. Thru-ticketing alone will open up the entire system to DAL. While the gate limit sucks, it will benefit many stations like LIT and ELP that will see an increase with the likes of DAL-LIT-BWI and DAL-ELP-SAN etc...
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

floorrunner

Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:32 am

I think the whole compromise is ridiculous. Why should Southwest be limited in the number of gates it can use other than if they are available or not. Also why should American have to leave Love Field. Even if it is a stupid business move on their part, they should have the right to provide service there. The real compromise should be the eventual repeal of the whole darn thing. The sooner the better.

Tom in NO

Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:33 am

The multi-year phaseout of the WA intrigues me.....just how are they going to phase it out? 5 states a year for 8/9 years (roughly)? Inact a perimeter rule that expands a little bit each year?

Why do I have this feeling that this compromise looks like Swiss cheese that replicates all the holes that could be shot in it?

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

searpqx

Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:58 am

The part I find most interesting, at least from what I can gather from the article, is that neither AA or WN have had any say in this. I can't see AA agreeing to anything that ejects them from DAL, especially when WN basically gets what it wants. And if AA doesn't agree, you know there are a number of congressional folks who won't. And in the end, no matter what Dallas & Ft Worth agree on, it's what Congress decides that matters.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

chrisnh

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting MaartenV (Reply 2):
I doubt WN will accept a 18 gate limit since it seems to me that they would not be able to develop a nationwide network to its full capabilities with just 18 gates.

It's not as though **everyone** wants to go to Dallas. If they can't make do with 18 gates, given the efficiency that Southwest can turn planes, then that's a problem with how they utilize those gates. But I don't think anyone would agree that 18 is too few.

Chris in NH

cjpark

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:10 am

This is not a compromise. This is a farce.....
A compromise would mean Southwest at least flying some flights from DFW. Barring AA and giving Southwest control of 15 to 18 gates is the same as granting Southwest a monopoly at Love Field.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

steeler83

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:16 am

I don't see an 18 gate restriction as much of a restriction either. Pretty much all reasons have already been stated why it is not...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

DLKAPA

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 15):
A compromise would mean Southwest at least flying some flights from DFW. Barring AA and giving Southwest control of 15 to 18 gates is the same as granting Southwest a monopoly at Love Field.

redflag  AA has had a virtual monopoly from DFW to markets outside the perimiter for 20 years.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

atrude777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 16):
I don't see an 18 gate restriction as much of a restriction either. Pretty much all reasons have already been stated why it is not...

It is, SWA owns 23-25 gates at DAL.

As DLKAPA noticed, then how is it any different from AA having a monopoly at DFW? It isn't.

I do agree it isn't right to boot AA out of DAL, they have as much right as any airline to serve DAL if they choose to.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

justplanenutz

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 18):
do agree it isn't right to boot AA out of DAL, they have as much right as any airline to serve DAL if they choose to.

Alex

I think we are talking about semantics here. AA is losing its arse at DAL only because this debate is ongoing. The instant they believe it resolved, they'll Long Beach DAL.

scintx

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 1):
Finally!

Right on! Since I just moved to Dallas perhaps I wont have to watch the stupid TV commercials either!
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

blueflyer

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:36 am

So in the name of promoting competition among airlines serving the Dallas area, we are going to repeal an agreement that everyone, except one lone carrier, has been able to live with for years and years, effectively give that carrier a monopoly at Love Field (18 gates out of 20?!?) and kick out the sole other carrier giving this new monopoly carrier a bit of competition (sorry, CO fans, a few flights a day to Houston doesn't count).

Well, if this is promoting competition and fair trade, excuse me while I look up the definition of irony.

(yes, I have said all along I didn't care about the outcome on a practical matter, and I still don't, but I just think that this... compromise is ridiculous at best)

steeler83

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 18):
It is, SWA owns 23-25 gates at DAL.

Big deal. They lose 5-7 gates. Although, they could always expand there and add some 5-10 gates, but heaven forbid that ever happens...

If they were limited to a dozen gates, then that would be outrageous... If they were to be limited to 20 gates, then I don't think it would be so bad...

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 5):
BWI 19 gates 165 daily

I think that number is now up to 30, or will be soon. The new terminal A for southwest will contain 30 gates...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

cjpark

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 17):
AA has had a virtual monopoly from DFW to markets outside the perimiter for 20 years.

There has never been a legal restraint on Southwest from flying anywhere from this region at anytime. Staying at Love Field under the restrictions of the Wright Amendment was a decision that Southwest made. Concerning your comments on a virtual monopoly held by American and the other airlines at DFW. Southwest gave them that supposed monopoly by refusing to move operations from Dallas Love Field. Can't blame the Wright Amendment for that.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

SeeTheWorld

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting JustPlaneNutz (Reply 19):
I think we are talking about semantics here. AA is losing its arse at DAL only because this debate is ongoing. The instant they believe it resolved, they'll Long Beach DAL.

Exactly ... AA can't wait to get the hell out of DAL.

stlgph

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:41 am

I think we are talking about semantics here. AA is losing its arse at DAL only because this debate is ongoing

Prove that.

Could be the other way around. AA is a damper in SW's side and that is why they'd be agreeing to this compromise in the first place.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

atrude777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
Big deal. They lose 5-7 gates. Although, they could always expand there and add some 5-10 gates, but heaven forbid that ever happens...

The restriction is..SWA owns 23-25, but only uses 15-18 of those gates. The iorny is WN if this compromise takes effect is WN really now owns 15-18 gates and STILL operates oout of the same amount. So go with the minimum, 15 gates thats 150 daily flights, WN is only operating at 120 Daily Flights, they can sitll add another 30 flight give or take and be ok.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
If they were limited to a dozen gates, then that would be outrageous... If they were to be limited to 20 gates, then I don't think it would be so bad...

No it isn't.

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 21):
So in the name of promoting competition among airlines serving the Dallas area, we are going to repeal an agreement that everyone, except one lone carrier, has been able to live with for years and years, effectively give that carrier a monopoly at Love Field (18 gates out of 20?!?) and kick out the sole other carrier giving this new monopoly carrier a bit of competition (sorry, CO fans, a few flights a day to Houston doesn't count).

As opposed to allowing AA to have monopoly at DFW?..difference is? Silly

Would they? AA cares about monopoloy, not making money. If they tried to make money they wouldn't be flying DAL-STL unless it really did make money for them. We will see!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

atrude777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 25):
Prove that.

Because AA has completely stated they ARE loosing money at DAL, and DAL is NOT a profitable airport for them.

justplanenutz

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 21):
Well, if this is promoting competition and fair trade, excuse me while I look up the definition of irony.

Well, that's what you'll get if mayors are allowed to make national aviation policy. "Hmm...Not even WN will mess with AA at DFW, what can we do to give WN the same status at DAL Mayor Miller?."

2H4

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:49 am

A compromise would mean Southwest at least flying some flights from DFW

The thing is, a compromise of any kind is completely uncalled for. WN doesn't owe DFW/AA any kind of favors or special measures, and forcing WN to do so is nothing short of undeserved punative punishment.

Welcome back, by the way. We missed you.  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

starstream707

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 26):
The instant they believe it resolved, they'll Long Beach DAL.

What happened to Long Beach?

deltairlines

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:50 am

Keep in mind that even though the mayors of Dallas and Ft. Worth might reach this agreement, it doesn't mean squat until Congress approves this. The Wright Amendment is FEDERAL law, and municipalities can't simply say, "ok, we decided this" and all is over. When the U.S. Congress is dealing with this issue and George Bush signs the bill will the debate be over. Keep in mind that I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see CO bring in a couple of 737s to DAL minimally to feed IAH.

Jeff

KELPkid

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 10):
Great news for WN. Thru-ticketing alone will open up the entire system to DAL. While the gate limit sucks, it will benefit many stations like LIT and ELP that will see an increase with the likes of DAL-LIT-BWI and DAL-ELP-SAN etc...

Man, I'll miss showing people how to get to the ticket counter when I fly home to ELP to visit my folks now...the Texas Two-Step!!!  Sad  Big grin
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

blueflyer

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 26):
As opposed to allowing AA to have monopoly at DFW?..difference is? Silly

Say there's about 40 gates per terminal at DFW (I'm sure someone knows the exact number). AA has all of A and C, and about half of B, plus maybe a bit less than half of D. Round it off to about 120 gates for American Airlines, out of a total of 200 (again, assuming an approximate number of 40 gates in each of the 5 terminals). That gives American about 60% of the gates, which may be a bit on the low side because I think I read somewhere that American accounts for 75% of the flights at DFW. Even that number compares very well to Southwest getting 18 gates out of 20 (or 90% of available gates), and there's no way you can try hard enough to fit 25% of the flights out of Love in those two remaining gates.
Does American have a dominant position at DFW, hell yes. Would Southwest be even in a much sweeter spot, absolutely (IMHO), but then again, we ought to wait for the final agreement too.

planespotting

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:56 am

I like how the AA guy said that the only way they would leave DAL is if the Wright Amendment stayed in place in full force.

haha. Clearly shows why they were in DAL in the first place.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

atrude777

Quoting Starstream707 (Reply 30):
What happened to Long Beach?

While it was someone else who stated it, not me, what happened was B6 announced JFK-LGB. to retaliate, AA announced the same. AA lost money and couldn't fight at LGB and announced complete withdrawl of LGB.

Alex

eelonghorn

Quoting MaartenV (Reply 9):
I'm not saying they don't have the right to have an opinion, but they shouldn't have any influence on the final decision since Love Field does not fall under their responsibility.

Love field does fall under their responsibility. The Mayor of Fort Worth is always on the Board of Directors for DFW airport.

See the heading - Method Of Appointment

http://www.fortworthgov.org/csec/brdcomm/bcdfw.htm

kanebear

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:04 am

How are you going to force an independent entity to start service at an airport they don't currently service? This agreement has nothing to do with AA or WN despite what you may think and neither airline has any say into how the agreement is structured. WN's recourse is limited to pulling out of DAL. That's all, nothing else.

contrails

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:07 am

WN can have through-ticketing to/from DAL, as long as pax stop in a Wright Amendment state? The Wright Amendment will be phased out in 9 years?

What a crock. This is something that only a bureaucrat could dream up.
Flying Colors Forever!

2H4

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 38):

A bureaucrat, or an individual with a vested interest in AA/DFW...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

txagkuwait

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:22 am

This is interesting. It will be fun to see if it all pans out.

As far as 18 gates are concerned, that will work. There's no rule that a gate cannot have more than one jetway attached.

In fact, one of Southwest's gates at Love Field....IIRC....has two jetways, an "A" and a "B".

The real plum in this is immediate abolition of thru ticketing restrictions. As soon as the schedule can be arranged, look for:

DAL-MAF-LAS
DAL-LBB-LAS
DAL-AMA-LAS
DAL-ELP-PHX
DAL-ELP-LAX
DAL-ABQ-LAX
DAL-MCI-MDW
DAL-STL-MDW
DAL-MSY-TPA
DAL-MSY-MCO
DAL-JAN-MCO
DAL-LIT-BWI

OPNLguy

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 12):
The multi-year phaseout of the WA intrigues me.....just how are they going to phase it out? 5 states a year for 8/9 years (roughly)? Inact a perimeter rule that expands a little bit each year?

Why do I have this feeling that this compromise looks like Swiss cheese that replicates all the holes that could be shot in it?

The 9 year figure did strike me as bit odd--why not 20 or 30 years? It plays the same...

Overall, I'm reserving judgement until the official proposal is released and I can review it detail. It's tought basing an informed opinion on the itsy-bits in the media.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

KarlB737

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:38 am

The Compromise Thing..................

Video report the same at both links. Two links in case one doesn't work for you:

Courtesy: Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...eoPlayer.php?vidId=70069&catId=104

Courtesy: WFAA-TV

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/Vi...eoPlayer.php?vidId=70069&catId=104

tooluther

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:39 am

what will happen to ATA's MDW-DFW service once WN is able to run MDW-DAL?

MaartenV

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting EELonghorn (Reply 36):
Love field does fall under their responsibility. The Mayor of Fort Worth is always on the Board of Directors for DFW airport.

Since when are the board members of DFW responsible for DAL? Or am I missing something?

Although 18 gates might be a good number and not as bad as thought it was, I still find it weird that to operate freely from a normal airport, they have limit themselves to a number of gates. That doesn't sound right. Just like the 9 year period is complete nonsense, I wonder how many millions and jobs are wasted by this DFW (and AA) protectionism.

OOer

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:47 am

Wright is Wrong

Simple as that!

justapassenger

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 38):

As a former bureaucrat, I have to correct you. The bureaucrat did not dream it up, it’s your Congress Critter who passed the law saying that passengers couldn’t be through ticketed. The poor bureaucrat then has to enforce the absurd law, while the two faced Congress Critter blames the bureaucrat instead of taking responsibility for his incompetence. Please place the responsibility for this absurdity where it belongs

Jerseyguy

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:58 am

I wonder if Jetblue would think about DAL?

JFK-MSY-DAL? Probably not
B6 is a nonstop P2P Airline.

LoneStarMike

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:01 am

Here's my thoughts and concerns, and someone can correct me if I've misinterpreted things here.

1. A nine year phaseout is too long.

2. Dallas accepted federal funds from the FAA's Airport Improvement Program and they have to meet certain obligations.

Look at the overview section of the above website, where it says What projects are eligible?

It lists various things that are eligible vs. ineligible and goes on to say:

In addition, the following must also apply for the FAA to consider a project for AIP funding:

[SNIP]

7. The project is depicted on a current airport layout plan approved by the FAA.

Love Field's current project is based on a 32-gate master plan, not one that called for 20 gates. I could see cutting a few gates, but not 12 out of 32 or roughly 37%

3. They also have an obligation to maintain a competition.plan, which they do.

DALLAS POLICY ON REASONABLE AIR CARRIER ACCESS

Dallas understands its legal obligations under Federal law and, therefore, strives to accommodate all air carriers seeking to provide service at Love Field subject to restrictions imposed by Federal law.

In addition, Dallas recognizes that, by having accepted Federal grants, it has undertaken a legal obligation to provide reasonable air carrier access at Love Field.

The City of Dallas can "ask" AA to leave all they want, but I just don't see where they have any legal basis to "force" AA out of Love Field if AA decides they want to stay at Love Field, if for no other reason than to tie up some of the gates as ong as they usee them.

That does not qualify IMO as providing "reasonable" access to all carriers, especially if the carrier they are going to ask to leave has a current lease on three gates and has spent money refurbishing them.

They're basically saing "We'll make a reasonable attempt to accomodate other carriers, but AA you have to leave." That specifically discriminates against one carrier,and would seem to me to be a violation of the competition plan.

I never, ever thought the day would come when I would say something like this, but I'd have to defend AA on this point.

While it may be in AA's best interests to move back to DFW, that should be their decision to make and not the city of Dallas'.

If this is the best that Miller and Moncrief could come up with, then I'd say this whole process as been a big waste of time.

At the very least Terry Mitchell, Love Field's Aviation Director should have been included in this process.

I can't wait to hear his views on this ridiculous plan.

LoneStarMike

eelonghorn

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting MaartenV (Reply 44):
Since when are the board members of DFW responsible for DAL? Or am I missing something?

It would seem that way on the surface, but 7 of 11 of DFW's Board of Directors are appointed by The City of Dallas, one of these 7 is Dallas Mayor, Laura Miller. The City of Dallas has some hand in running DAL and DFW.

For a compromise to work, I would imagine the Board Members of DFW will have to be made happy, including the Mayor of Fort Worth, which means the DFW board gets to have a say in how the compromise will work. Of course if the WA is completely repealed, compromise is a moot point.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos