SFOMEX
Topic Author

Kudos To TLV Security!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:10 pm

Flying to and from TLV is an unique experience, since no other airport has the intense security that has made TLV famous, in particular when you are leaving Israel.

I had the chance to experiment it by myself last Tuesday. After reading all the old threads on this issue, I was expecting the "full service" by the guards. After all, I was a non-Jewish young man traveling by myself. In fact, I tried to prepare myself to endure the long interrogatory and the strict revision of my luggage and my person. Based on what I read, I had my answers ready for the many questions I'd had to answer, including those regarding personal information.

Well, let me tell you that my experience was far better than I was anticipating. From the moment I went through the first checkpoint, I realized that these guys were very capable but also nice and professional. Once at the hall, they asked me the usual questions regarding my trip and the places I went. After checking my passport, they wanted to be sure that I understood the risks of taking with me anything I was given in Jerusalem or Bethlehem by any person. As one agent told me, even a letter could hide explosives. They never said "Arabs", but it was somehow clear that they were talking about them when they were warning me.

The whole interrogatory took less than 10 minutes. Considering the two minutes the guard at the check-point used to ask me about my nationality and the purpose of my trip, the grilling was done in 10 minutes and they never asked twice the same questions. Far, very far from what I was expecting.

Needless to say, my luggage was exhaustively inspected two times by x-ray machines and once by security agents. Overall, in one hour I was seated in the nice circular hall that is the last step before reaching your gate.

TLV security agents were always polite with me. For sure, they did their job and I was more than happy to help them by being cooperative and patient. They deserve credit for making sure we have a safe trip to our destinations.

[Edited 2006-06-25 10:25:49]
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

skidmarks

RE: Kudos To TLV Security!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:15 pm

Some other security services could take note of this. Politeness costs nothing and helps make an onerous job go better.

Hope you enjoyed your Israeli trip.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ANCFlyer

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Thread starter):

GLad that was a positive experience for you.

Perhaps you should list, specifically, and in great detail, what was said and done - and send it to the TSA idiots. They can use all the help they can get.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

YULWinterSkies

Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:02 am

I don't get it, you look impressed, but you got 10 minutes of interrogatory, which to me is INSANELY long to me... How many security agents do they have to handle a 300-people flight? And I assume you are a honest guy, and not of Arab origin.
What were you expecting exactly?

TLV does not seem a very inviting place to fly from...

the risks of taking with me anything I was given in Jerusalem or Bethlehem

Bethlehem? Did you go to Palestine also? In this case, that might explain that crazy interrogatory...
When I doubt... go running!

cy319

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:20 am

i have travelled to many places....but the TLV experience made me cry of anger.

they were soooooooooooooo rude and cold to me.
yuuuuuuuk..i will never visit this country again.
i m sure they lose potential tourists due to the strict interrogative and suspicious security policy they have.
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
Hope you enjoyed your Israeli trip.

Indeed I did. Thanks!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Perhaps you should list, specifically, and in great detail, what was said and done - and send it to the TSA idiots. They can use all the help they can get.

LOL. The sad thing is that you are right!

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 3):
What were you expecting exactly?

The one hour interrogatory done by two or more guys, asking many times the same questions and even examining personal aspects of your life. Search the old threads and you will see what I'm talking about.

Bethlehem? Did you go to Palestine also? In this case, that might explain that crazy interrogatory...

Bethlehem is the only "normal" place in the Territories that they expect tourists to visit. Hence, it's not a "red flag" by itself. Now, had I gone to any other place in the West Bank or the Gaza Strip, I might still been on TLV answering friendly questions. Big grin

Quoting CY319 (Reply 4):
they were soooooooooooooo rude and cold to me.
yuuuuuuuk..i will never visit this country again.

Some friends told me the same, hence my surprise after my experience.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

airxliban

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:43 am

Glad that it was alright for you, but from personal experience I can say that it's not so rosy for people who they stereotype in one way or another.

I visited the Holy Land with my mother about 10 years ago. We were both traveling on US passports, but as soon as they saw my mother's place of birth: "Beirut, Lebanon" that set off a red flag and the whole process took much longer and even as the little pea that I was at the time I remember that that the people who dealt with us (IIRC 3 in total) were anything but friendly and polite.

The luggage search (done manually and literally everything was taken in and out of its packaging), the background check, the account of who we saw and what we did and what we were given and blah blah blah took something like 30 minutes if I'm not mistaken.

All this with quite an innocent profile - a boy and his mother going to visit the holiest shrines of our religion, coming from/going to Larnaca of all places (on CY, not LY) and with no Arab stamps in our passports.

I'm not saying that they should be polite and friendly, nor that they should abandon their interrogation process - all I am saying is that both in my experience as well as from what I've heard, the good folks at TLV Immigration Services aren't overly kind and friendly.

And perhaps that's what makes them as good as they are at their job.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

semsem

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:00 am

AirLiban they have to be careful with everyone. You may not be aware that a "pregnant woman" in London tried to board an El Al flight carrying a bomb. Fortunately she was caught. A mother traveling with a small child is not necessarily innocent as you imply.

In addition what do you expect? Yes born in Lebanon coming from Cyprus is obviously a red flag that has to be investigated.

Those who don't understand why it has to be done and get angry about it are either hostile to begin with or very, very naive.
CY319 were you polite to them?

BA

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 6):
I visited the Holy Land with my mother about 10 years ago. We were both traveling on US passports, but as soon as they saw my mother's place of birth: "Beirut, Lebanon" that set off a red flag and the whole process took much longer and even as the little pea that I was at the time I remember that that the people who dealt with us (IIRC 3 in total) were anything but friendly and polite.

The luggage search (done manually and literally everything was taken in and out of its packaging), the background check, the account of who we saw and what we did and what we were given and blah blah blah took something like 30 minutes if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting. I've been meaning to ask my cousin how he was treated while entering and leaving TLV, but I guess I've got a rough idea now...

I have several other relatives who flew in and out of TLV in the past as well.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

IAD380

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:53 am

We found the security personnel at the TLV airport to be professional and polite when we flew from TLV to LHR, and then on to IAD last December. The five of us were questioned before we checked in for the flight. Some questions were repeated at different times, but the personnel was always polite and respectful. Our luggage was inspected by a machine. Afterwards, we passed through several more security checks on our way to the boarding gate. The entire process took less than half an hour. Although security was rigorous, we were not stressed out by the process. Based on this experience, I think that the security procedures in TLV are quicker, and more efficient, effective, and polite than those at LHR or airports in the United States.

voodoo

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:00 am

Well, the worst thing about TLV security is that if they do the `grilling' at 4 a.m. or whatever when many flights arrive or you check in for departure when you haven't head any sleep. So if you make a mistake with some answer you give them it can set off red flags for a perfectly innoccuous reason: sleepiniess!
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

ly7e7

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:08 am

I'm not saying that they should be polite and friendly

Of course they should be. And they should maintain that attitude during the entire process - that , unfortunately, in your case is a lengthy one.

I (as an Israeli) had both good and bad experience with them. Last week , for instance, was awful - when I came with a boarding pass i printed at home and was hold for about ten minutes for some strange reason. I filed a complaint about the delay and the atttude of one of the perosnnel.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

airxliban

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting Semsem (Reply 7):

And perhaps that's what makes them as good as they are at their job.

I'm not saying that they should be polite and friendly, nor that they should abandon their interrogation process

I'm not attacking them m8. I'm very aware that they need to what they are doing.

By treating people in a certain way - screaming at them, asking them certain questions, being rude, being polite, or what have you, it is possible to observe their reactions and from that determine if their behaviour indicates one thing or another about the innocuity of their intentions. I'm sure that TLV has no shortage of professionals in this field that are used to maintain the security level which they can do.

So I understand completely when the immigration officers act a certain way - it's just that I don't think most people would find the TLV immigration process joyful. Unless I have to go to Israel for business reasons, I'm planning on going to Israel one more time - when I have a family and when I can afford to take them to the holy land.

cy319

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting Semsem (Reply 7):
CY319 were you polite to them?

I am always polite and smiley to all airline and airport staff.

anyway, i ve been to many places and i never got any negative experiences from the immigration procedure. and btw, at that time i had no arab stamps on my passport. i even had a US visa on it and a US stamp...

i m such a polite and positive person that even the most cold staff in any industry likes me and serves me pretty well.
their behaviour shocked me so much that i was seeing nightmares for 3 months....

tzadik

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:11 am

TLV does not seem a very inviting place to fly from...

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about... Its quite efficient...I personally find TLV security quite impressive and i feel the rest of the world should take note. I'm an American that has a descent grasp of Hebrew and i too get the full service treatment... just give them direct answers to their questions and you'll be fine... I'm more than happy to jump thru their hoops to insure my passage in and out of the country is safe. Anyone that would think twice about going to Israel simply because of the security at Ben Gurion definitely has a unique thought process.

people who they stereotype in one way or another.

place of birth: "Beirut, Lebanon"

with all do respect sir, i don't find it odd or intrusive.... fact of the matter is the biggest threat to security is posed by people of arab descent. That's not racist or rude, its just the way things are. Fortunately matters of security take precedence over political correctness in Israel.

Did you go to Palestine also?

There is no Palestine.

airxliban

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Tzadik (Reply 14):
with all do respect sir, i don't find it odd or intrusive.... fact of the matter is the biggest threat to security is posed by people of arab descent. That's not racist or rude, its just the way things are. Fortunately matters of security take precedence over political correctness in Israel.

There can be no arguing that by measure of historical precedent (at least that I know of), Arabs post the biggest security threat to Israel.

All I am saying is that the TLV immigration experience is not as rosy to all people as it was to SFOMEX.

SuseJ772

Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:52 am

Flying to TLV is just an interesting situation, and we all should get used to that. I did it in August, November and December of 2003 on both LY and LH. Flying out on LY was a pleasent situation. Flying out on LH was not. This of course has nothing to do with the airlines per se. The difference, when I flew out on LY, all I had was a backpack for a three-day excursion to Greece. When I flew out LH, I was returning home after 4 months in Jerusalem and had two very large bags with a lot of "interseting" things in them (sure they were bottles of wine, bowls from the old city, etc...). Even though I was an American, with this interseting luggage as well as four stamps from Jordan on my Passport, they had to take that into consideration. Needless to say, it was understandable why they spent twice as long (30 minutes mind you) inspecting and interogating me that time out as appose to the ATH trip.

Israel, whether you agree with their politics or not, is in a very interesting situation and I think it is amazing that they haven't had a significant problem in their aviation sector. For those of us who have flown privatley, it is easily to get spoiled on no security check point at all. When that is the standard, what happens at ATL or LAX seems horrendously obtrusive. But that doesn't make that wrong. However, when ATL or LAX are the standard most people understand, TLV seems horrendously obtrusive, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Overall, I think TLV does a good job and I think all travels should realize that no security agent is there to be your friend (ATL, LAX, LHR, TLV, anywhere). They are their to keep us safe and sometimes that means our feelings get hurt.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

YoungFlyer

Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:53 am

From my experience it usually depends on on 'who you get' as far as politeness and friendliness are concerned, just like in most airports and most security agents. In my opinion they agents have a really tough job but no matter what the situation is they should always be polite and courteous. Like Semsem said one is naive if he does not expect some grilling are invasion of privacy. Overall though, a couple of rude security agents can not ruin a trip to such a beautiful place like Israel. SFOMEX, glad you enjoyed you trip to TLV and the rest of Israel,
Youngflyer
"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Fly-K

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:59 pm

I think I'm in for an interesting experience next week, flying DXB-IST-TLV (on EK/LY) and TLV-AMM-DXB (on RJ), with a German passport, but residence in DXB and full of Arab stamps... but it's for my job, so I have no choice and will patiently endure whatever is in store for me...
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

semsem

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 pm

CY319 you had nightmares for 3 months because of Tel Aviv security? I think you are exagerating. If you cooperate and don't get excited they are very polite.

In regards to Lebanon, a few years ago Hezbollah sent a dual British / Lebanese citizen to Israel called Gerard Shuman and fortunately he was caught in time in Jerusalem. He entered with his British passport.

Fly K many German tourists come to Israel. Yes, I think they will ask many questions but if it all makes perfect sense it should not be a problem.

[Edited 2006-06-26 08:23:43]

Fly-K

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 19):
Fly K many German tourists come to Israel.

Semsem I have no worries about the German part, but because I live in Dubai and travel from there... and my passport is very colorful  Wink But I'm very much looking forward to my trip.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

olympicbis

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:02 pm

I have visited Israel many times until about four years ago. Being in charge of the Middle East markets in my Company, there are always many stamps from all countries of the Gulf Area as well as Egypt, Jordan , Lebanon, Libya and Syria. Of course, this made for some extra screening at TLV Airport, both when arriving as well as when departing. As I found it logical, it never really annoyed me, even if it was very often quite lengthy ! Politeness was always there, and as others said it before me, many of the TSA agents could certainly learn from TLV that you can still do an efficient job while remaining courteous and without treating people like s..t !
Now as far as efficiency is concerned, I always wondered why they did not build up some database of incoming poassengers, insteads of asking you 20 times the same questions. By building up a database, they would even be in position to compare the passenger's "story" about his stay in Israel on his way in and out.

ClueLessInFra

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:24 pm

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 20):
Semsem I have no worries about the German part, but because I live in Dubai and travel from there... and my passport is very colorful But I'm very much looking forward to my trip.

You're informed about the procedures? Most arab countries (excluded: maroc, tunesia, egypt, jordan) are *strictly* banning persons with a stamp from israel in the passport.
Make sure the stamp is placed on a seperate paper or get a second passport for travelling israel.

Ciao, Walter

cy319

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:50 pm

CY319 you had nightmares for 3 months because of Tel Aviv security? I think you are exagerating.

i dont exagerrate at all. yes, i had nightmares because of TLV security.

i felt deeply offended by their behaviour. everyone thinks i m the most peaceful, sincere, trustworthy person in the world. those people in TLV thought the opposite...It was the first and hpefully the last time in my life that
i didnt feel welcome and wanted by someone.

my best friend is israeli...after the incident and the nightmares, i told him that i will never visit him again in israel. so...every year we meet in different places for the sake of my serenity, dignity and psycological equilibrium.

aviationwiz

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting CY319 (Reply 23):
i felt deeply offended by their behaviour. everyone thinks i m the most peaceful, sincere, trustworthy person in the world. those people in TLV thought the opposite...

When your in a security position, particularly in Israel, you can't simply let someone off easy because they look nice or seem friendly.

I'm sure a lot of people think Usama Bin Laden is a sincere, trustworthy person too, but that doesn't mean anything.

Everyone needs to be searched, and their stories need to be checked out, otherwise, especially dealing with Israel, it could mean the difference between seeing "Israeli Soldier held hostage" and "Jet packed with 300 people crashed after a bomb exploded on the flight that had departed from Tel Aviv, Israel" on the news.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

Fly-K

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting CluelessInFRA (Reply 22):
Most arab countries (excluded: maroc, tunesia, egypt, jordan) are *strictly* banning persons with a stamp from israel in the passport.
Make sure the stamp is placed on a seperate paper or get a second passport for travelling israel.

Yes thanks, I was aware of that.

metalinyoni

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:50 pm

I visited Israel in 2003 and had no issues with security. I had a long interrogation but I understand why they do it. The guards were polite and intelligent ( I have been questioned by security personnel before in other parts of the world and have often wondered if they really knew what they were looking for or if they would have been able to identify a threat even if it smacked them in the face).
300, 310, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 342, 343, 345, 346, 380, 707, 727, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 742, 74L, 743, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L 773, 77W, D10, AT46, AT76, AT75, 142, DH3, ER4, AR1, AR8

cy319

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting Aviationwiz (Reply 24):
I'm sure a lot of people think Usama Bin Laden is a sincere, trustworthy person too, but that doesn't mean anything

how can u compare me with laden? r u serious? ........
shame on you.

aviationwiz

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 am

My point was that just because your friends think your a sincere, trustworthy person, it doesn't mean anything when looked at the perspective of security personnel. Everyone needs to go through at least a basic level of questioning (consistent throughout all pax), and those who raise a red flag, or are identified as a possible threat from the previous questioning, need to undergo more questioning/searching to verify they are not a threat.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

cy319

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting Aviationwiz (Reply 28):
My point was that just because your friends think your a sincere, trustworthy person

i was mostly referring to unknown people that meet me for the first time.
when i got back to athens, i went to CY town office and i told them the incidence. they were so angry at them and wondered: 'how could they do all this to such an angelic and polite person like you'? and believe me, CY employees dont know me at all. they got so furious that they even said that they would enourage people to visit other M. East CY destinations at the expense of Israel.

i dont see Israel getting any European tourists if they continue this tough policy. word of mouth is an important parameter for making a good reputation and attract tourists. if the word of mouth by tourists, travel agents and airline employees is bad, then the game is over. no matter how much money they spend on ads, tourists will be reluctant to visit israel and undergo such humiliating security procedures.

ly7e7

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 am

You shouldn't bitch so much , my cute "angelic" CY319. Yes, we have tough secuirty. Yes , we don't care if loose some "angelic" tourists for that reason (not to mention that some others think differently). Your gentle angelic soul is offended ? We can live with that.

rjpieces

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:21 am

After reading all the old threads on this issue, I was expecting the "full service" by the guards.

I remember you posting a few months back questions about your trip. I'd love to read a trip report if you have time to post one.

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 18):
I think I'm in for an interesting experience next week, flying DXB-IST-TLV (on EK/LY) and TLV-AMM-DXB (on RJ), with a German passport, but residence in DXB and full of Arab stamps... but it's for my job, so I have no choice and will patiently endure whatever is in store for me...

Just out of curiousity, what kind of aviation industry job brings you from DXB-IST-TLV-AMM-DXB?!! Have you been to Israel before? Looking forward to it? Enjoy your trip!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Fly-K

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 31):
Just out of curiousity, what kind of aviation industry job brings you from DXB-IST-TLV-AMM-DXB?!! Have you been to Israel before? Looking forward to it? Enjoy your trip!

I'm in regional sales management for Middle East, Africa and Southeast Europe, and thus including Israel. As you might know, LH is the largest foreign airline to TLV. Yes I'm very much looking forward to it, it will be my first time!

cy319

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting LY7E7 (Reply 30):
, we don't care if loose some "angelic" tourists

Quoting LY7E7 (Reply 30):
Your gentle angelic soul is offended ? We can live with that

u r so arrogant and cold...like the security staff it TLV.

with such a behavour from ordinary people like you and the TLV security staff ...i dont see how Israel can improve its image to the world and get political 'friends' as well as tourists.  Sad

ly7e7

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:49 am

CY319,

clearly you have not read my previous post in this thread. Besides that, first things first. And being nice to tourists by letting them skip procedures is certianly not first.

nycflyer

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:01 am

Very interesting thread. Exactly one year ago I flew into TLV from CAI to go to a friend's wedding, then flew back to CAI via LCA and BEY because there were no n/s flights that day. My interrogation was for the better part of an hour, owing to my unusual itinerary via BEY; the fact that I'm male, in my 20's, and traveling alone; stamps from multiple Arab countries including Syria and Yemen; and originating from an Arab country.

While I was a little frustrated that three different people had to interrogate me (on check-in at CAI, the passport lady in TLV, and another guy in TLV), only the first interrogation was long and exhaustive. They eventually had to call my friend in Israel to confirm who I said I was.

Overall, I was treated firmly but politely, and I left extremely impressed with the professionalism and thoroughness of the security staff there.

Here is my trip report.
https://www.airliners.net/discussions...reports/read.main/60400/6/#ID60400

ps - Rudy - good to "see" you on here again. Any trips to NYC soon?

kangarooman

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:28 am

Hi all

Quoting SuseJ772 (Reply 16):
Overall, I think TLV does a good job and I think all travels should realize that no security agent is there to be your friend (ATL, LAX, LHR, TLV, anywhere). They are their to keep us safe and sometimes that means our feelings get hurt.

Quoting Youngflyer (Reply 17):
From my experience it usually depends on on 'who you get' as far as politeness and friendliness are concerned, just like in most airports and most security agents. In my opinion they agents have a really tough job but no matter what the situation is they should always be polite and courteous. Like Semsem said one is naive if he does not expect some grilling are invasion of privacy.

You two have just summed up completely what i think about the job which is what i do at MAN

SuseJ772
your exactly right this is the feeling that a lot of non UK pax have they don't mind random bag searches or random body searches they see it for what it is SECURITY ie to keep them safe.

But a fair percentage of UK pax think of it as a massive inconvenience to them and that we must be doing our jobs just to waste their time

But to tell a funny story I had one woman when I completed a bag search say:

woman: what is that thing you wiped over my bag
me: it was an explosive trace detection swab but it was clear
woman:I could have told you that i don't do terrorism (in a really prissy way)

it made me laugh some pax just don't get the reason for us doing randoms

but it's really nice when a pax comes back and tells you that you're doing an excellent job it makes your day

Youngflyer
I completely agree with you and I am always polite and courteous to pax I mean if your job has a high customer service content why be nasty to pax for no reason but there are a few pax who have a really bad self righteous attitude who are really nasty for no reason but they are a very small minority

and for you comments susej772 and Youngflyer you two are the 2nd and 3rd members of my respected users list

Roo
A/C Flown EI 146&320, MYT 763&333, WW 733&735, AZ 319&MD80, LS 146, FR 738, 2L F100, LX 320&321, A3 RJ100, FI 752 AB 738

UAL4ever

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 pm

I go through TLV at least four times per year and the staff has always been serious, but polite. CY319, maybe you are not used to this type of rigorous security but it is necessary to keep Israel safe as Israel is the most targeted nation in the world. The security people in TLV cannot just let you pass because you are such a nice guy. Plenty of "nice guys" have tried to commit terrorist acts against Israel. As long as you answer their questions directly you shouldn't have any problems with them. Also don't take this experience as an indication of the entire country.

cy319

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:28 pm

UAL
from what i saw when i was there, they are good towards the Americans and nasty towards the Europeans.

Quoting UAL4EVER (Reply 37):
As long as you answer their questions directly you shouldn't have any problems with them

i answered everything directly and confidently as i had nothing to hide.
what pissed me off was their lack of trust. yuuuk

i used to adore Israel but after this incident i got disappointed.
i advise my friends not to go there. i encourage them to visit DXB,AMM,CAI and other M.East countries where security staff treat pax very politely and make them feel wanted in their country.

EL-AL

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Well, isn't is fair? Israelis get good service in the airport and bad service on board LY, while tourists get bad service in the airport and good service on board LY  biggrin 

Seriously, The security in Ben Gurion Int'l is very professional and officiant, and in order to make it so, those guys have to check who may by a risk and who won't, so anyone who may look risky have to be checked, sometimes for a long time (like a woman who was born in Beirut).

For me, as an Israeli, the security takes 1 min, top. Tough, whenever I flew to/from US airport i can see just how much those guys can learn from the Israelis. Someone wrote it like this "While the Americans look for bombs, the Israelis look for bombers". I agree with this.

SFOMEX, I am glad to had a good time in Israel, and we sure hope that you will come again.

LY
every day is a good day to fly

UAL4ever

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:16 pm

"what pissed me off was their lack of trust. yuuuk"

Unfortunately, the security in Israel does not have the luxury of trusting people. Just because they don't interrogate me as much, that is not an indication of trust, just that generally people from the USA and Israel such as myself generally pose less of a security threat than Europeans. Whatever your opinion regarding profiling, the bottom line is that it works.

"i advise my friends not to go there. i encourage them to visit DXB,AMM,CAI and other M.East countries where security staff treat pax very politely and make them feel wanted in their country."

Also, the security is not a reason to discourage travel to Israel. One bad experience should not be enough to negate the rest of the positives of visiting Israel.I hope you reconsider your opinion and come to visit again.

cy319

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Quoting UAL4ever (Reply 40):
the security is not a reason to discourage travel to Israel.

I have grown up and lived all of my life in democratic societies where authorities respect privacy and dont make any kind of interrogations to me or searches in my staff. i fell really offended by such a behaviour in TLV.

the airport staff attitude is an important reason for preventing doing tourism in a country. if u feel unwanted as soon as u land in a place...then it s hard for u to overcome it and enjoy your holidays there.

rjpieces

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting CY319 (Reply 41):
the airport staff attitude is an important reason for preventing doing tourism in a country. if u feel unwanted as soon as u land in a place...then it s hard for u to overcome it and enjoy your holidays there.

By this logic, won't the visitor have a great time in Israel until he arrives at TLV for his flight home?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

cy319

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:02 am

exaclty, RJ! i just couldnt have a good time because of that.
I Kept complaining to anyone i met during my stay there.
they tried to calm me down and make me overcome my bad experience but i just couldnt help myself.
I had been having nightmares of this airport for 3 months.

semsem

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:04 am

So CY319 you went to the Cyprus Airways Athens ticket office to complain about how you were treated at Ben Gurion Airport? The Nicosia to Tel Aviv route is the most profitable route of Cyprus Airways, so I don't believe your story that they will go on a marketing campaign to discourage Greek / Cypriot tourism to Israel.
You now want European tourists to boycott Israel. OK then, what will you say if we boycott Cyprus and Greece? Two can play at that game. You are really going overboard and making a mountain out of a molehill. Your hostility towards Israel is suspicious.
Lastly who appointed you as the spokesman of European tourists? This year we will have 2 million tourists and they do not seem to be making such a fuss about nothing.
I am convinced you lost your cool with the security officials and began rolling your eyes. This provoked them and made them suspicious.
By the way I like going to Cyprus.

[Edited 2006-06-27 18:19:54]

cy319

Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Semsem (Reply 44):
The Nicosia to Tel Aviv route

1. there is no Nicosia route....the airport is in LARNACA!
Nicosia airport was destroyed in the war of 74.

I don't believe your story that they will go on a marketing campaign to discourage Greek / Cypriot tourism to Israel.

2. i didnt intend to do any negative marketing campaign.
since friends/neighbours asked me about my impressions from israel...all i could tell them was the security in the airport. it took me 3 months to overcome it.

This year we will have 2 million tourists and they do not seem to be making such a fuss about nothing.

3. so far so good. let's see if thein enthousiasm continues after they land at the airport.

began rolling your eyes

4. i never roll my eyes. i had nothing to hide and all i said was clear.
perhaps they were looking for troubles.

Your hostility towards Israel is suspicious.

5. my best friend and my ex-partner are both israelis. I dont think i m hostile towards your nation.

Fly-K

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Just to report back, I made it into Israel and even out again  Wink
It was indeed a bit difficult given my passport and residence in DXB. 30 minutes interview in IST before departure and also half an hour at arrival in TLV, it took a while until I could clear immigration.
Upon departure it was much easier as a local colleague walked me through the process.
I guess you get used to it after going through the process a few times, but when it's for the first time, it can be a bit intimidating.
On a side note, the flight with El Al was quite good, and the new terminal in TLV has to be one of the nicest in the world. Just the way the windows are tinted (with the little dots in the glass) doesn't allow for photography (I'm not sure whether it would be tolerated anyways).

ly7e7

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 46):
Just the way the windows are tinted (with the little dots in the glass) doesn't allow for photography (I'm not sure whether it would be tolerated anyways).

Nothing to do with photography - you can shoot all you like. My guess it just lets less sun in -cooler atmosphere inside.

semsem

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:59 am

Fly K thank you for telling us about your experience.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos