Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

BA Connect: MAN-EDI And MAN-GLA

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:30 am

With the advent of BA Connect and its somewhat admirable pricing strategy, how is it performing on MAN-EDI and MAN-GLA? I ask because it is now possible to go regularly, cheaply, conveniently and relatively quickly from central Manchester to both central Edinburgh and Glasgow. Indeed, it is possible, with foresight and flexibility, to get a Manchester-Edinburgh train ticket for just £9.90 one-way – which is brilliant for a centre-to-centre, 3.5-4-hour trip. Better yet, the lowest price for Manchester-Glasgow is just £7.90 one-way – and it takes from just 3 hours. So, how is BA Connect performing on those two routes? How is it reacting to the fact that train travel will inevitably become more popular with quicker times, more frequent services and cheaper tickets? Is it increasing choice, flexibility and convenience? Is it minimising the airport effect, namely by reducing the time spent at airports and thereby reducing the stress, hassle and annoyance often experienced by customers? Is it making its overall process (from searching for times and tickets, to acquiring the tickets, to everything else) as simple, quick, straightforward and hassle-free as possible? Is it maximising its efforts to develop loyal customers - by, for example, exceeding its customers' expectations every time, by making them feel special (which doesn't have to involve frills), by making them feel of central importance - while concurrently actively acquiring new customers? Is it maximising its customer helping at every stage? Is it maximising value, of which price is simply one element? Or is it complacently sitting back and hoping things will be OK by offering occasionally cheap tickets and a somewhat fresh image, that it'll retain - or better yet increase - its market share, that it'll perform excellently? Similarly, how are both BD and Jet2 (on MAN-EDI) doing?

[Edited 2006-06-25 20:35:54]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Humberside

RE: BA Connect: MAN-EDI And MAN-GLA

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
Similarly, how are both BD and Jet2 (on MAN-EDI) doing?

bmi must be doing fairly well on MAN-EDI. They are adding an extra flight on the route
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

lapper

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 1):
bmi must be doing fairly well on MAN-EDI. They are adding an extra flight on the route

Doesn't necessarily mean they are doing well though, they could just be adding capacity to give their travellers more choice rather than opting to fly with BA. though knowing BD management, anything is possible!

I would think it's easier to fly MAN-EDI than to take the train on that route as opposed to MAN-GLA.

Damian

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Quoting Lapper (Reply 2):
I would think it's easier to fly MAN-EDI than to take the train on that route as opposed to MAN-GLA.

In terms of journey time, Edinburgh-Manchester and Glasgow-Manchester by train takes pretty much the same time. It's an hour and 20 mins (approx) from both Edinburgh and Glasgow to Carlisle, and then the train follows the same route for both down the West Coast Main Line.

If I remember correctly, BD were saying something about strong demand from EDI pax connecting onto long haul at MAN as part of the reason for adding extra flights between EDI and MAN.

Humberside

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting Lapper (Reply 2):
Doesn't necessarily mean they are doing well though, they could just be adding capacity to give their travellers more choice rather than opting to fly with BA. though knowing BD management, anything is possible!

I dont imagine they are doing badly though or they would have pulled the route

Heres the press release about the frequency increase. It mentions growing demand on the route. And now bmi are the only full service airline on the route so for business passengers they are at an advantage over Jet 2 and BA Connect

Quote:
Due to growing demand on its Edinburgh-Manchester route, bmi regional announces today that it is to increase weekday flights from 4 September 2006.

Manchester services will be boosted to six direct flights every weekday with the introduction of a midday service. Increasing demand has come from a growth in business related traffic and customers connecting to and from bmi transatlantic flights.

bmi chief executive officer, Nigel Turner said:
“Our bmi regional network continues to go from strength to strength. Strong demand due to thriving business, leisure and connecting traffic has necessitated the sixth weekday flight and I’m delighted that we’ve been able to expand our existing operations to provide the extra capacity needed.”

All bmi regional flights offer the speed and comfort of an all-jet aircraft service and separate business and economy class seating on board with complimentary refreshments. Business lounge facilities and range of check-in options, including online or self-service check-in, also ensures speed and efficiency at the airport.

bmi regional is officially the best airline for punctuality in the UK according to published CAA statistics and is renowned for excellent in-flight service and frequent flyer benefits. Convenient schedules across domestic and international routes from key regional airports allow connections to the wider bmi network and onwards across the globe with Star Alliance partners
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

7LBAC111

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
I dont imagine they are doing badly though or they would have pulled the route

With respect, it's not quite as simple a business decision as to pull a route because it performs badly.

For example - EDI/GLA-MAN offer online connection opportunities to BMI's transatlantic services from MAN. While the route may not particularly yield much, it's commercial importance could far outweigh the cost of losses (if any) it is making.

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
Heres the press release about the frequency increase. It mentions growing demand on the route. And now bmi are the only full service airline on the route so for business passengers they are at an advantage over Jet 2 and BA Connect

Arguable. Business travellers have, from my experience, been driven by either corporate policy or personal gain. I still think that BA offer a far superior FQTV [rogram than BD - especially on the lower fares, and I still think that despite the new BoB concept, the BA option offers the corporate traveller that bid more, on such a short flight.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

mhodgson

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:49 pm

I don't think the Scottish routes have as much to fear from Rail as MAN-LON does. Rail connections to Scotland are much less frequent, and unlike London departures are not particularly consistent in terms of departures, as they usually run as extensions to services to the south coast. The services are also run on smaller trains which tend to get over-crowded, and they lack a decent first class service, which the West Coast Trains have. Additionally, the timing isn't brilliant, with a long journey not particularly condusive to a full days business. The first train into Glasgow does not arrive until after 10am, and even tat would require a change at Preston or Lancaster.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Baexecutive

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 6):
I don't think the Scottish routes have as much to fear from Rail

I totally agree with you, as a frequent traveller on this route (GLA/MAN) I would much rather pay the extra and fly. The train may take approx 4 hours however having to put up with Screaming children and 'maw and paw' broon not to mention the change of trains (in Winter this is particularly annoying) is too much to bear.

I wonder if Jet2 would consider operating this route seeing as they operate EDI/MAN.

Smile

FlyCaledonian

Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:37 pm

Manchester to Scotland rail services are due to be shaken up in the next few years. Virgin Trains (Cross Country) will lose the Manchester-Glasgow/Edinburgh services to First TransPennine Express. While this will see 125mph trains replaced by 100mph ones, it could see a more frequent service. One suggestion has been an hourly Manchester-Scotland service, serving Glasgow and Edinburgh each alternate hour. The other is a service every two hours dividing en-route possibly. This seems more likely, as Virgin Trains (West Coast) is looking to operate an hourly London-Glasgow service, and is also set to take over the Birmingham-Glasgow/Edinburgh services. I'd be surprised if we saw North of Preston an hourly London service, an hourly Birmingham service and an hourly Manchester service. More likely the latter two will alternate each hour.

Interestingly, some other city pairs will definitely have hourly train services under the Department for Transport's shake-up of CrossCountry services. Southampton-Manchester (as part of Bournemouth-Manchester) will be hourly, as will Birmingham-Newcastle/Birmingham-Edinburgh/Leeds-Edinburgh (as part of Plymouth-Edinburgh).
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos