Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LS737
Topic Author

FR Online Check-in From DUB

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 am

A couple of weeks ago I used FR's online check-in for a DUB/MAN flight. When I got to the security point they scanned my boarding card and told me it had been rejected (and they couldn't tell me why). So, I had to queue at a check-in desk where my boarding card was reissued. FR clearly knew about the problem because my new boarding card had already been printed along with several others - the check-in agent said they were having 'teething troubles' with the system. Does anyone know if the problems have now been sorted out?

raffik

RE: FR Online Check-in From DUB

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:44 pm

I flew EMA-DUB-EMA 2 weeks ago and I checked in for all of the flights online before I left home. Never had any problems such as yours, but the gate staff seemed to be having trouble in tearing their part of the boarding pass off because when you print the pass off at home there ins't a perforation and I wonder if it slows down the boarding process...?
- Alec

Ryanair737

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:16 pm

Online check-in seems to never run 100% smoothly with any airline. I used it last December (MAN-AMS KLM) and last week (MAN-BFS bmibaby), on both occasions problems occurred with the actual scanning of the pass. The least the airline could do is make sure all potential problems have been sorted out before the service is released. It is a useful service though; I just wish it would work more often!

Ryanair737
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

ANother

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Quoting Raffik (Reply 1):
but the gate staff seemed to be having trouble in tearing their part of the boarding pass off

I don't see why they don't ask the passenger to cut of the part that they want to keep. Even if only 1/2 did so it would speed up the whole process.

Also why only one boarding card on each A4 page? You could get three to a page easily if they tried.

LS737
Topic Author

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting ANother (Reply 3):
I don't see why they don't ask the passenger to cut of the part that they want to keep. Even if only 1/2 did so it would speed up the whole process

It would still take time as the staff would then have to check that the two parts were from the same boarding pass.

MarBergi

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting LS737 (Reply 4):
Quoting ANother (Reply 3):
I don't see why they don't ask the passenger to cut of the part that they want to keep. Even if only 1/2 did so it would speed up the whole process

It would still take time as the staff would then have to check that the two parts were from the same boarding pass.

Why not ask them to cut 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through so there is less to tear off and still prove it's from the one ticket.

ANother

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:54 pm

Quoting LS737 (Reply 4):

It would still take time as the staff would then have to check that the two parts were from the same boarding pass

Why? The boarding pass issued by the airline is 1/3rd of an A4 page - so why can't my selfprinted one be the same size?

Have you seen SqueezieJet's boarding cards (from kiosks) they are about the size of a credit card.

The conditions of contract and other stuff traditionally seen on tickets doesn't need to be on a boarding card.

And lastly - why does the airline need a piece of paper from you? Once it's been scanned at the gate that should be enough.

7LBAC111

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:02 am

Is anyone actually going to discuss the thread starters question, or shall we instead discuss the merits of just how much paper should be cut from a boarding pass so that it is both safe, relaible and effective .... ?  sarcastic 

Quoting LS737 (Thread starter):
Does anyone know if the problems have now been sorted out?

I have heard of a few issues where the barcode hasn't scanned. But as mentioned, it is just teething problems, and I'm confident FR will not be suffering any more than any other airline rolling out this technology.

Quoting Ryanair737 (Reply 2):
The least the airline could do is make sure all potential problems have been sorted out before the service is released.

sarcastic 
Because, no amount of testing ever irons out all the potential problems. SOmetimes the fastest way to test is to roll out and let nature take its course. So to speak. It's the lesser of two evils.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

LS737
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 6):
Why? The boarding pass issued by the airline is 1/3rd of an A4 page - so why can't my selfprinted one be the same size?

With respect, that's a completely different question to the one I answered.

ANother

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:25 am

Apologies - I must have misunderstood. I'll start a new thread to discuss this futher, if anyone in interested.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos