Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Worst US Airport

Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:23 am

WHICH US AIRPORT DO YOU DREAD GOING TO THE MOST?????

LH423

RE: Worst US Airport

Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:31 am

I hate going to BOS...the Blue Line sucks 

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:59 am

Boston!!!!! Always delayed, The Blue Line Sux, The airports hard to get in, and get out of.

Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:02 pm

hmm, besides ORD, probably JFK. There is way too much congestion!! But then again, airports, noise, people and airplanes are all part of the "flying experience"   I suppose it wouldn't be the same w/ out the hustle and bustle at airports!

J32driver

Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:11 pm

Don't like DFW. Way to spread out. Walking from concourse to concourse will wear out your shoes... but its faster than that "Death Tram" they have!

Ryefly

Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:31 pm

I can't really think of an airport tht I hate going too, although Raleigh-Durham international airport should have an orange cone as their logo. The airport can't keep up with the deluge of traffic in recent years. Parking was aweful as it took 1 1/2 years to cunstruct a new parking garage. Now that it's built its always full, so a 20 minute bus ride is expected from further lots until they finish yet another parking garage. There is no curb check in due to the fact arrivals and departures are on the same level, plus the area is under construction. Once inside you must wait in terrible lines if you are checking luggage, and wait yet again for about 10 minutes to get past security in Terminal A. due to the fact they only have one metal detector for Air Canada,Air Tran, Delta, US Airways, United, and Southwest Airlines. At peek times, many flights wait on the tarmac for an available gate as they are constintly full. Terminal C where Midway, American, and Midwest Express flies out of is much better. Emergancy plans to create an overflow for Terminal A will be offered next year with 5 more gates until they will be able to build a new facility, plus a third runway. Until then the airport has had to turn down some service due to the fact of of over crowding. So, for now, Raleigh is pretty bad, but in about 5 years it should begin to take shape and become a good airport.

Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:48 pm

Long Beach.
Olde art deco style terminal should have been demolished in 1975. Very ramshackle, small, run down, and there's a funny smell in the parking lot as you approach the terminal. Great balcony for viewing, but nothing really to see there.

VirginA340

Wed Jun 21, 2000 1:51 pm

MCO-ATL and LH423: I really agree that the blue line really sux and I feel that The red line should be going to BOS and that the trains on the blue and green line needs to be scrapped and replaced with a real subway like the red. BOS really needs to shape up along with DTW. I'm glad to see that within a few years JFK will be a great airport once the remodeling is done with the AA terminal, Terminal 2 and the international terminal along with the skytrain.
"FUIMUS"

crjmech

Wed Jun 21, 2000 5:22 pm

SFO. Seems like even a high cirrus over the airport ground stops every inbound flight. At the last carrier I worked for, we took to calling it the Black Hole 'cause planes would go in and not come back out. Thankfully the surroundings in the concourses are nice and comfy because you're gonna be there for a while when the fog rolls in.
Thou shalt mind thine altitude,lest the ground reach up and smite thee.

B747-437B

Wed Jun 21, 2000 5:44 pm

DFW and DTW

Nothing else even compares.

MSP would be up there too if there wasn't the Mall so conveniently located for any connxns of more than 2 hrs.

Wed Jun 21, 2000 9:22 pm

MSP? Whats wrong with MSP?

flashmeister

Wed Jun 21, 2000 9:37 pm

SLC: Salt Lake is cramped and dim and ancient...

DFW: Cramped cramped cramped... not enough space for _both_ carts and people

EWR Terminals A/B: Embarassingly old and neglected

PDX: When on earth will they finish this airport? It's been under construction for 10 years. I love the new spaces, but come on... it's too difficult to use!

bimmer202

Wed Jun 21, 2000 10:43 pm

I think Detroit has to be the worst airport. It is very poorly designed and you don't have any real great places to watch aircraft come in. Hopefully the new terminal will be better.
Who let the billy goats out? No serioulsy, who let the friggin billy goats out? This aint no joke anymore children.

tincan

Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:46 pm

JFK has to be. It is so dirty and has just to many people in it. I had to go there last year on my yearly summer come back from Switzerland. I usually goto Newark, A330 rock!  

Tincan!

ContinentalEWR

Thu Jun 22, 2000 12:02 am

LaGuardia, because it's downright dangerous. JFK is nasty too.
Detroit, Cleveland, Washington Reagan National, LAX, and San
Diego are also not very nice.

N766UA

Thu Jun 22, 2000 12:47 am

I think Newark. It is hard to get around. It is always difficault to go through because it's crammed. It is in a horrible place surrounded by factories. Detroit is just difficault to park in. It's not a bad airport. Cleveland has a bad reputation. The halls are a little thin but overall it is a nice airport.

blink182

Thu Jun 22, 2000 1:03 am

DEN,very hard to make a connection,very confusing to get around and train usually breaks down, spotting from the terminal is a panoramic view and the restaurants are good(good selection) but for a passenger in a rush, I really don't like it.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Lax?

Thu Jun 22, 2000 2:31 am

Whats wrong with LAX? LAX is one of the best

Ilyushin96M

Thu Jun 22, 2000 2:37 am

It has to be Chicago Midway. I've never been in a dirtier, uglier, more decrepit airport in my life, and that's saying alot, because I've been to airports in Russia. Midway is a pit - to small, too many people, bad operations. It took an hour just to get my luggage on a recent ATA flight I took out of and into Midway. That airport should be torn down.

Trvlr

Thu Jun 22, 2000 6:57 am

SAN. It is a pitiful excuse for a major airport.

PITrules

Fri Jun 23, 2000 12:28 pm

PHL, PHL, and PHL!!!
FLYi

[email protected]

Fri Jun 23, 2000 2:28 pm

What's wrong with EWR? It's very convenient, and the spotting from most of the terminals are excellent.

DTW is in a serious time warp from the late 60s, but the Northwest terminal is newly remodeled. Plus you have excellent spotting from its concourses F, D, and E, (only if the runway adjacent to those concourses are active). The US Airways/Southwest/Spirit gates (L.C. Smith Terminal "A" gates) are good spotting locations too.

I think JFK is absolutely among the worst.

trintocan

Fri Jun 23, 2000 2:35 pm

MIA without a doubt. It is always very crowded, untidy and dangerous. It is so sprawling that often when one asks an employee there for assistance in finding a counter they cannot help you. The arrival areas are far from Immigration and Customs and so a maze must be negotiated to get there, although AA's satellite terminal has that great train ride to get there. The announcements there are also confusing, with a mixture of English, Spanish and Portuguese announcements coming across at the same time. The only plus is, it is great for spotting!

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

deltaagent

Fri Jun 23, 2000 4:01 pm

MDW: I agree they should tear it down and start over. It is a very scary airport to fly into due to the closeness of the runway to tall buildings.

JFK: Way to many terminals. The subway stop by long term parking should have moniors stating arrivals and departures.

flashmeister

Fri Jun 23, 2000 9:37 pm

I have to agree that MIA is horrible - WAY too crowded...

But I have to disagree with DEN: I've found it nothing but easy... no problems with trains or connections... Plus, it can be good for spotting (if you like 737s and A320s, that is ).

N202PA

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jun 23, 2000 10:39 pm

With all due respect, have you *been* to DCA lately? It's one of the *Best* airports in the nation now, not one of the worst. Sure, the north approach to 18 (19 now, I think) is hairy, but for my money, I couldn't ask for a more interesting and challenging approach path. To me, it's fun to come in to National, passing just a few hundred feet to the side of the Washington Monument, and making that heavy bank over Gravelly Point to final.

The new National Hall kicks @ss, and the Main Terminal is now a beautiful gem that sports a nice, open view of the airfield--the same view that people flying out of there in the 1940s saw. The art deco design is a classic statement of American architecture, too.

Midway Airport, however, would have to be my selection for the worst airport right now. The terminal is tiny and outdated, the concourses are small, the check-in lines are always crowded, and traffic coming around the front is always at a standstill. I don't mind coming in like a hundred feet over houses...it's that so many aircraft do it every day. One day, some poor souls are not going to be lucky--it's an accident waiting to happen.

Fortunately, MDW is getting their new terminal building, which should help alleviate some of the overcrowding, at least temporarily. The place will be clean and more open than the current, outdated terminal; on the other hand, the number of gates will be increased, allowing capacity to increase. This could bring safety margins down

I really wish they would reconsider the closing of CGX--if ever there were a perfect opportunity to move some traffic out of MDW and ORD, Meigs is it. Chicago needs reliever airports, and fast. Unfortunately, unlike the New York area (which has Islip, White Plains, Trenton, etc.) as relievers, Chicago doesn't have those kinds of secondary passenger fields in use. It's MDW or ORD, and they're coming to critical mass.

tr1492

Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:06 am

1. DTW - the midfield terminal cannot come any sooner! Lets see, last time I was there (two weeks ago) there was a gate waiting area designed to hold 100 people totally swamped with waiting-to-board pax for a full DC-10 flight to somewhere (I forget!) - you could not maneuver through the throng of people spilling out into the hot, cramped terminal hallway!

2. SJC - The airport of the super-high-tech "Silicon Valley" is super-low-tech! It should be called the airport of Death Valley instead - cramped, little in the way of amenities/shopping, amazingly archaic given the amount of pax they handle, relatively poor access to major highways.......

just my two meaningless cents!!!!

Regards,
TR

mlsrar

Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:28 am

BDL in Hartford is rather dirty and outdated.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

miafll

Mon Jun 26, 2000 5:48 am

New York LaGuardia. The runway is waaaaay too short and the congestion is terrible. Newark is a much better alternate.

KALB

Mon Jun 26, 2000 9:58 am

As one who used to live in Athens, GA and flying out of ATL many times, I nominate Hartsfield. Long-term parking is nearly always full, sometimes the trains were not air conditioned, and occasionally were not working, so I would walk from concourse to concourse. Not fun! I like ORD much better. DTW is in poor shape too.

mls515

RE: Worst US Airport MDW

Mon Jun 26, 2000 10:12 am

The new 41 gate MDW should be nice, but I have doubts about whether or not it can handle the traffic needs of the area.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/Aviation/Midway/Development/aerial.html

Supposed to be ready by 2004 according to the web site.

drerx7

DFW & ATL

Fri Jun 30, 2000 1:10 am

I hate Hartsfield in Atlanta because of the delays, DFW is horrible-rediculous delays and dirty terminals. I have since stopped flying to either ofthe two.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

RayChuang

SJC Problem Only Temporary

Fri Jun 30, 2000 2:00 am

As for those who dread SJC, the problem with that airport is that they are in the process of putting in a new terminal AND also rebuilding the California 87 road into a full freeway at the same time, both of which creates an unnecessarily bad situation. Once the construction is complete by early 2002, things will be a LOT better.

At least SJC Terminal A is pretty nice--the primary tenants being AA and WN. The older Terminal C is being completely revamped, I think.

As for SFO, on September 26, 2000 we will see major improvements in access to the airport with the opening of the new International Terminal and all-new access roads from US 101 freeway. The long-run situation at SFO will be better because the City of San Francisco is now on a fast track to reconfigure the runways so the parallel runways 28L/28R and 1L/1R will be separated by a mininum of 1,500 feet, which will allow parallel landings and takeoffs even under ICAO Cat IIIB poor-weather "effective zero" visibility conditions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos