Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Humberside
Topic Author

FlyGlobespan: Liverpool-New York Newark

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:14 pm

GSM will fly daily from LPL to EWR next summer

Will they have any codeshare/interline deals at EWR?

[Edited 2006-07-04 12:16:45]
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

GSM763

RE: FlyGlobespan: Liverpool-New York Newark

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:18 pm

Here come the 757s good news for LPL though

Humberside
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:56 pm

Heres the press release from LPL

Quote:
On US Independence Day, flyglobespan, John Lennon Airport's latest airline, has today announced that it will commence daily flights direct to New York from May 2007. Hot on the heals of their two recent announcements to operate regular scheduled flights to Tenerife and Prague, flyglobespan's latest news brings JLA its first scheduled transatlantic service and is the most significant JLA announcement from the rapidly expanding airline as they establish a considerable presence at the airport.

The news that Liverpool's historic links with New York, previously associated with the strong maritime heritage of both cities, is now to be re-established by an air link, was made at a press conference appropriately held at the top of the city's famous Liver Building - scene of many departing passengers bound for New York by sea.

flyglobespan's flights from JLA will commence on 25th May 2007 to the 'Big Apple's' popular Newark Airport, with fares starting at only £149 per sector including taxes. flyglobespan will operate two cabins on their Boeing 757 aircraft with 22 of the 189 seats in business class and the remainder economy. The business cabin fare will start from £299 per sector including taxes with 22 business class seats with full individual in-flight entertainment, dedicated priority check-in and the use of an airport executive lounge. Champagne will be offered prior to departure and during the flight passengers will enjoy gourmet meals served with fine wines.

Seats from New York to Liverpool will also be on sale in the USA from only $259 per sector including taxes with the added benefit of the route attracting vital tourist and business numbers from the States into the area.

It was almost 5 years ago to the day that Yoko Ono visited the Airport to announce that it was to be renamed after her husband John Lennon and after being one of the first people to be told the good news she commented,

"How fitting that there will soon be flights from John Lennon Airport to New York. As you all know, John had a tremendous fondness for both of these cities. He would have been delighted that now there will be a direct flight between these two historic cities - across the Universe, so to speak. It's a great day for both Liverpudlians and New Yorkers. Best wishes from me to you.Yoko.”

Neil Pakey, Chief Executive of Peel Airports commented, “Peel are thrilled to bring another major positive news story to the northwest and support the link between New York and Liverpool in the 800th anniversary of the City of Liverpool. We congratulate flyglobespan in recognising the unquestionable opportunities that exist between these two cities both for tourism and for business. The timing is perfect both for the anniversary and in the year ahead of our Capital of Culture celebrations.”

flyglobespan's chairman Tom Dalrymple added, “I am delighted we can launch this service from John Lennon Airport and give the local population the chance to visit one of the world's most exciting cities at such fantastic prices.

“We also expect it will be well received by the business community on both sides of the Atlantic - as our prices in this sector compare very favourably with others.

“We have been delighted at the enthusiasm and support from the airport and the local community to our earlier two flights announcements from JLA and look forward to a similar reaction to the New York venture.

“We have more planes coming in next year and more places we want to fly to,” says Dalrymple. “If the people of Liverpool continue to support our routes, we would be delighted to bring more services here in the future.”

Flyglobespan's parent company the Globespan Group has been flying across the Atlantic to Canada for over 30 years and Dalrymple says that experience will be hugely beneficially in ensuring the company caters for all needs on their Liverpool - New York service.

The Mersey Partnership (TMP) has also been working closely with Peel, spearheading the Campaign for a new transatlantic air link from Liverpool and has lobbied Merseyside's business community to throw its support behind the route.

Roy Morris, Chair of The Mersey Partnership, said; “Up until now Liverpool hasn't been immediately and easily accessible to the US market, but we have huge aspirations for the city as we move towards Capital of Culture Year 2008.

“Liverpool is already very attractive to US tourists through brands such as the Beatles and England's Golf Coast, and with a number of major US companies already investing here, securing this air link will further reinforce Liverpool as a destination on the international business map.”

He added: “Liverpool and New York already have strong, historic links established through many years of maritime trade. The Port of Liverpool, also owned by Peel, is currently the top UK port for UK-USA and UK-Canada container trade. Today's announcement marks a significant development of these links and opens up enormous new opportunities for Liverpool and Merseyside.”

As with all flyglobespan services, customers travelling on the Liverpool - New York route will have the option of buying flight only or adding on transfers and or hotels. This will available soon on www.flyglobespan.com

Already talk of extra LPL routes. Maybe Toronto? (obviously any new routes will be a while yet before being announced/starting)
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

CRJ900

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:02 pm

Are they leasing a 757 from Icelandair? The config sounds like Icelandair...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

mhodgson

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:05 pm

Interesting - sounds like a good business class deal!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

dutchjet

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 2):

Already talk of extra LPL routes. Maybe Toronto? (obviously any new routes will be a while yet before being announced/starting)

Press releases are so optimistic.....lets see if this works and if the service lasts more than one season.

Quoting Humberside (Thread starter):
GSM will fly daily from LPL to EWR next summer

Will they have any codeshare/interline deals at EWR?

[Edited 2006-07-04 12:16:45]

As CO is the big player at EWR, and this service will indirectly compete with CO's MAN-EWR route, I dont expect that CO will be helping out FlyGlobespan with this route or connections. My guess is that the service will be point to point oriented to O&D pax.....will be interesting to see how they market the flight in the US. Pax originating in LPL will fly to EWR to spend their holiday in the NYC area......and then rent cars or puchase seperate flights on other carriers to continue their holiday. No trip to the US is compete for any UK resident without a stop at Orlando, is it?
 Smile

gayrugbyman

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Quite a lot of NYC capacity in the Northwest of England now! 2x CO, 1x DL, 1x BA, 1x PK and now 1x GSM......will this be a year round service or just summer only?

New York City is twinned with Liverpool....apparently.

7LBAC111

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Well well. GSM are doomed to failure IMHO.

Surely this strategy of rapid short and long haul growth is draining whatever cash reserves they have, and placing the company under considerable risk??

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

LS737

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 7):

Surely this strategy of rapid short and long haul growth is draining whatever cash reserves they have, and placing the company under considerable risk??

Absolutely! Have they recruited someone from bmi's strategy department?  Wink

7LBAC111

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting LS737 (Reply 8):
Absolutely! Have they recruited someone from bmi's strategy department?

rotfl 

It would seem so ....

7L

cwldude

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:37 am

I can't see this working, I don't think CO are going to let them get away with having this route as a success! Would be nice to see GSM expanding an EWR network though, *cough*CWL*cough*... and be nice to have someone show CO they arent really all that!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

GLAGAZ

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting LS737 (Reply 8):
Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 7):

Absolutely! Have they recruited someone from bmi's strategy department?

Yeh the guy in charge having over 30 years of knowledge in the field obviously doens't know what he is doing...

GSM have posted profits in each of their operational years so far I think, maybe not the first but certainly the last 2. They obviously have a formula that works, so why not get behind them instead of sitting there saying they will fail? Ofcourse some routes may fail, but that won't result in the demise of the airline. Especially not in Scotland.

Gaz

[Edited 2006-07-04 20:05:45]
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

ScottishLaddie

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 11):

Agreed, evidentally GSM are expanding quickly, however Tom Darymple is no fool and they are expanding into currently unserved markets which is clever on their part. They just have to make sure that they do much more advertising outside of Scotland than they have been doing so far and they stand a good chance of going on to even bigger things. EZY etc didn't get where they are today by sitting back and not expanding.  Wink

mainMAN

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:04 am

GSM have posted profits in each of their operational years so far I think, maybe not the first but certainly the last 2. They obviously have a formula that works, so why not get behind them instead of sitting their saying they will fail? Ofcourse some routes may fail, but that won't result in the demise of the airline. Especially not in Scotland.

It seems a rather ambitious development, but the doubters amongst us may well be surprised.

BHX can support a reduced summer service to EWR, 10 weekly 757s with all those CO inter-lining opportunities, so the prognosis for a LPL - EWR O&D service isn't too brilliant, is it? As it is, I don't personally believe the NW of England can support CO, BA, DL and GSM, but I hope I'm very wrong.

The number of US tourists flocking to Liverpool is generally over-stated too.

[Edited 2006-07-04 20:05:12]

gkirk

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:13 am

Yeh the guy in charge having over 30 years of knowledge in the field obviously doens't know what he is doing...

Excalibur, successful with A320s, go long haul with DC-10s. Result = Failure

GSM = New Air Scotland...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GLAGAZ

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 14):

GSM = New Air Scotland...

Kirk I predicted your response a week ago....:P

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:58 am

Without feed at either end, how is this route going to pay off ? The only way CO can make their EWR transatlantic 757's pay is with a HUGE hub at one end of the flight. How many feeder flights do GSM operate into LPL - errmmm, none.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Christa

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:05 am

Shall we just wait and see what this route produces. I have no affiliation or connection to either LPL or GSM, but I hope that this route succeeds.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

7LBAC111

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:23 am

GSM have posted profits in each of their operational years so far I think, maybe not the first but certainly the last 2. They obviously have a formula that works, so why not get behind them instead of sitting there saying they will fail? Ofcourse some routes may fail, but that won't result in the demise of the airline. Especially not in Scotland.

Gaz

Ooh. Defensive.  stirthepot 

I just think that an airline with pure O&D traffic, with limited feed, at an airport dominated by the two largest LCC's in Europe, coupled with extravagant expansion is risky - to say the least.

Look, there is no money to be made on low yield, leisure traffic. If there was, we'd have a premium and an economy airport at STN. But we dont. We have Eos and Maxjet. That for me says premium, premum PREMIUM.

GSM have got this wrong from my perspective. But as MainMAN say - we may all be surprised.

7L

GLAGAZ

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 18):
I just think that an airline with pure O&D traffic

Everything GSM have acheived so far is based on an O&D product. Due to announce their codeshare partner(s) very soon.

Gaz

EZYAirbus

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 12):
EZY etc didn't get where they are today by sitting back and not expanding

EZY stuck to doing what they do best, low cost short haul thats the reason they so succesful, GSM should stick to the same i feel, as JGPH1A said, they have no feeder service at either end of the route, this i feel is a big risk, cant see it lasting to be honest
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

GLAGAZ

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 20):
EZY stuck to doing what they do best, low cost short haul thats the reason they so succesful, GSM should stick to the same i feel, as JGPH1A said, they have no feeder service at either end of the route, this i feel is a big risk, cant see it lasting to be honest

Zoom have no feed at any of their airports. Are they failing? I agree it is a big risk, but thats what the airline industry is all about, albeit calculated ones. There is lots of money to be made from long haul flights from the regions and that is the market GSM intend to exploit.

Gaz

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 21):
Zoom have no feed at any of their airports. Are they failing?

I thought that Zoom was mostly sold by tour operator allocations, like Air Transat. Correct me if I'm wrong. GSM's operation seems pure LCC ie. book your own.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

fly2yyz

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 22):
I thought that Zoom was mostly sold by tour operator allocations, like Air Transat. Correct me if I'm wrong. GSM's operation seems pure LCC ie. book your own.

Unlike TS (Air Transat), Zoom is sold through agents, or online generally. There are a few tour operators that do buy seats from us to fill but generally its an LCC.

And we're packed through the end of summer and i know this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but don't see us failing.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 23):
Zoom is sold through agents

That's interesting though - travel agents can make a real difference on long-haul sales, more so than on short haul, where most people are quite comfortable booking their own. I'd be interested to know what percentage of Zoom's bookings are made via agents. I don't think GSM distribute through GDS's at all.

rdwootty

The interesting thing on BHX-EWR with CO 85% of pax are transiting EWR and not staying to return......That is a lot of seats. However maybe there will be a deal with another EWR carrier who is also a LCC and if you can get a through booking facility from UK and US then it will be a CO buster...........I for one would like to see the premium product seating before I made my mind up

ScottishLaddie

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 22):
GSM's operation seems pure LCC ie. book your own.

GSM will allow you to book a flight+hotel (and transfer in some cases) package all in, that is the advantage they have over other similiar airlines to themselves, and is also to thank for a large part of success. Obviously this is all down to them being part of Globespan plc who have been doing the whole tour operator thing for many a year.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 25):
and if you can get a through booking facility from UK and US then it will be a CO buster...........

Interline booking/ticketing is not easy from Navitaire (which I think is where GSM are hosting their LCC flights) - in fact, as far as I know, it can't be done. This might prove tricky.

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 26):
GSM will allow you to book a flight+hotel (and transfer in some cases) package all in, that is the advantage they have over other similiar airlines to themselves, and is also to thank for a large part of success.

Adding a link from an airline website to a hotel booking service or a transfer service is pretty straightforward - it is a value-add, but maybe not a significant selling point. After all, booking hotels in NYC is not exactly rocket science, if you can manage booking your own plane ticket.

GLAGAZ

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
Adding a link from an airline website to a hotel booking service or a transfer service is pretty straightforward - it is a value-add, but maybe not a significant selling point. After all, booking hotels in NYC is not exactly rocket science, if you can manage booking your own plane ticket.

Adding a link? Its nothing of the sort. Go to the GSM website and attempt to book a package holiday. Its all done through them.

Gaz

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 28):
Adding a link? Its nothing of the sort. Go to the GSM website and attempt to book a package holiday. Its all done through them.

Fair enough, if that is the case. Do people going to NYC on an LCC want a package holiday ? Hasn't the market for package holidays dropped off, primarily due to the rise of LCC air travel ? Why restrict yourself to the hotels offered by GSM's site, when hotels.com can offer you hundreds of hotels in NYC at similar or better prices. I just don't think it has huge appeal, is all.

planesarecool

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:15 am

Maybe so, but that was short haul, where they are filling a huge gap. But their long haul routes seem almost random and illogical:

Glasgow-Sanford: Ok, big demand, however there are already many players on the route, all of which are sold as part of packages, which is how many people travelling to Florida go. There are almost as many flights a week from Glasgow-Sanford now than there are from Gatwick and Manchester.

Manchester-Cape Town: Can't really comment on this, however I do believe Av8air operated it a while back and have since disappeared from the scene. I'm not too sure if this has any relevance to the route though.

Manchester-Toronto: Already well served by Zoom, Air Canada, Air Transat and Thomas Cook. Air Canada offer connections, Thomas Cook offer packages, Zoom and Air Transat are well known in Canada for Toronto based travellers, and are generally quite cheap. Not really sure where GSM come into the equation.

Liverpool-Newark: No connections at either end, NYC already well served from the Northwest. GSM not exactly a well known brand in the US, and not many people from the US will fly into Liverpool as apposed to Manchester.

boysteve

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 21):
Zoom have no feed at any of their airports. Are they failing?

No, but they don't operate a route in direct competition with BA and DL and CO all at the same time!
With regards to the New York area BA can probably pull some (not much granted) from their domestic and European services through MAN to JFK. CO has a huge hub on the USA side to support 2 daily North West England services. IMHO Globespan should look for untapped direct markets from either LPL or MAN such as they are tying to do with CPT or they could try LAX or SFO. Goa non-stop would be good too probably. The thing is that globespan is not a household name in the North West of England so needs to make itself one by offer something different.

gkirk

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 30):

Glasgow-Sanford: Ok, big demand, however there are already many players on the route, all of which are sold as part of packages, which is how many people travelling to Florida go. There are almost as many flights a week from Glasgow-Sanford now than there are from Gatwick and Manchester.

GLA-SFB is probably the only long haul route that is guaranteed to be successful.

LPL-EWR, with anyone other than CO, is doomed from the start.

bmi330

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:36 am

GSM have a great product in there flights transfer and hotel package its great value im goin on my 3rd trip with them in three weeks and they will not fail in scotland there the most visable and getting towards the best know airline up hear.

What i dont get is there scatred approch to expansion in england when they should be developing there core business up hear in scotland eg Glasgow is crying out for links to Paris, Madrid. They should consintrate there long haul expansion from Glasgow also eg they have full page adverts in all the paper just add New York , Boston etc to the advert.

On a personal note i am desprate to go visit new york and i dont want to pay CO prices and have to mess about booking hotels transfers all sepratley GSM need to get there finger out and stay loyel to GLA - EDI paying public.

David_itl

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:39 am

The thing that makes me wonder about them is why have LPL as their "main" northwest UK base i.e. routes to PRG and TFS with 737 and now a 757 to EWR but also operate "rogue" routes in MAN-CPT and MAN-YYZ using 767s. Surely costs would be reduced if they operated solely out of LPL or solely out of MAN and not operating out of both!?

gkirk

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 34):
The thing that makes me wonder about them is why have LPL as their "main" northwest UK base i.e. routes to PRG and TFS with 737 and now a 757 to EWR but also operate "rogue" routes in MAN-CPT and MAN-YYZ using 767s. Surely costs would be reduced if they operated solely out of LPL or solely out of MAN and not operating out of both!?

FWIW, I understand MAN-YYZ is to be opped using a 757

bmi330

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:57 am

Is it possible GSM are going to code with zoom out of MAN and have the CPT and YYZ flights conecting? Seems crazy to have MAN and LPL but i supose GLA and EDI are the same.

At least if there toes get burnt down south at one location they can just transfer over.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:31 am

I would suspect that much of their business will be from charter/package tour companies in the Liverpool region looking for reasonably priced non-stop airflights and on a UK based airline. Using a 757, it should be good on that route and offering fares that will be very competitive, especially at peak summer tourist times. It is also a way to get around the NYC/London market agreements.

ScottishLaddie

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 31):

No, but they don't operate a route in direct competition with BA and DL and CO all at the same time!

No they just compete with BA, AC, Canadian Affair, Globespan/TS and whoever else?!  Yeah sure

Quoting David_itl (Reply 34):
Surely costs would be reduced if they operated solely out of LPL or solely out of MAN and not operating out of both!?

MAN and LPL will be a dual base.

ACEregular

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:23 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 38):
MAN and LPL will be a dual base.

GSM seem to prefer dual basing crew. It seems to have worked for them in Scotland. Having the 757 and 767 based at MAN and LPL means the whole crew will have commonality with either aircraft for any route operated. They could also be trained on the 737 for additional routes. They are going to test thew water in the northeast by performing a weekly TFS flight from MME on a W pattern. I wonder if they like what they find here they may base an aircraft at NCL and MME and dual base here too!

Gary2880

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:11 pm

good old Scotlands Low Fairs Airline

they may even fly from other airports in scotland at one point. twats.
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

7LBAC111

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:03 pm

Exactly. As I stated before, we may be surprised, but as it stands, I think LPL-EWR and MAN-CPT will be too much too soon for GSM, and could well be the end for the Globespan family if they aren't very careful indeed.

7L

mainMAN

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Manchester-Cape Town: Can't really comment on this, however I do believe Av8air operated it a while back and have since disappeared from the scene. I'm not too sure if this has any relevance to the route though.

Don't think Av8air ever got off the ground, they seemed to have spent a fortune on advertising (including sending me about 6 copies of the same literature). They also planned services to Port Elizabeth and Durban.

Manchester-Toronto: Already well served by Zoom, Air Canada, Air Transat and Thomas Cook. Air Canada offer connections, Thomas Cook offer packages, Zoom and Air Transat are well known in Canada for Toronto based travellers, and are generally quite cheap. Not really sure where GSM come into the equation.

GSM slot in via Globespan/Air Transat, but not sure whether this is in replacement of TS or in addition to it. AC dissappear over the winter which would leave 4 weekly flights MAN - YYZ (Zoom, TCX, GSM and TS)

BigOrange

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 14):

There's a big difference in operating costs between a DC10 and Boeing 757/767's

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 25):
However maybe there will be a deal with another EWR carrier who is also a LCC

That means either Jet Blue or AirTran neither of who have very many routes from EWR

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 29):
Why restrict yourself to the hotels offered by GSM's site, when hotels.com can offer you hundreds of hotels in NYC at similar or better prices

Because booking with hotels.com you could end up in a flea pit if you don't know what you are doing. All the hotels offered by Globespan are inspected by the company.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 32):
LPL-EWR, with anyone other than CO, is doomed from the start.

Not necessarily! LPL-EWR will pick up business from scousers who hate the idea of having to go to MAN to get on a flight. It will also pick up business from North and Mid Wales whose residents currently have to endure the trip to MAN or BHX. If anything I expect CO to drop to one flight per day with Globespan picking up the rest.

Dependent on the fares, I may use Globespan when going back home instead of CO

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 43):
It will also pick up business from North and Mid Wales whose residents currently have to endure the trip to MAN or BHX. If anything I expect CO to drop to one flight per day with Globespan picking up the rest.

I disagree. It may pick up some high end leisure traffic, but not much in the way of business travel. They offer few connections, an untried product, poor airpot facilities for the serious business traveller at LPL, no frequent traveller program (that I know of) and no affiliation with any major ancillary product providers.

CO, DL, BA will saturate the market with lower fares and by offering a more understood, publicly familiar product. Agents will be wary as they have little protection from ABTA and IATA should they GSM fail.

7L

mhodgson

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:09 am

I don't think LPL is any more convenient for travellers from North Wales, either - they still need to travel up the M6 to the junction for Liverpool, and the LPL itself is a long way from the M6, while MAN at least isn't too far and is right off the motorway.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

LS737

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 46):
I don't think LPL is any more convenient for travellers from North Wales, either

Is it convenient for anyone other than those in Merseyside and North Cheshire? It's miles from the nearest motorway.

ScottishLaddie

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 40):
they may even fly from other airports in scotland at one point. twats.

They will have bases at EDI, GLA and ABZ next summer, what more do you want?

vfw614

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:31 am

The GSM approach sounds a bit like what LTU is doing here in Germany. They have built up a sizeable long-haul network from DUS including flights to JFK although they are not a proper network-airline and they are usually is seen as a charter airline. They are not hugely successful, but they have been able to offer these flights for quite some time. A while ago they even sold tickets to JFK through a German supermarket chain to promote the route. It quite obviously depends on a lot of O&D generated in a large conurbation.

BigOrange

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 45):
Agents will be wary as they have little protection from ABTA and IATA should they GSM fail.

Are the flights not offered under the ATOL of Globespan?? Why is it any different from Easyjet, Jet2 or Ryanair? None of these are covered by ABTA or IATA. They cannot be covered by ABTA anyway as they are not travel agents.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 46):
I don't think LPL is any more convenient for travellers from North Wales, either - they still need to travel up the M6 to the junction for Liverpool

Not true! They can take the M53 to the M62 and across the river.