Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyTPA
Topic Author

What Is Hydro Quebec Airlines?

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:13 am

On a recent trip through YQB, I noticed a ticket counter for Hydro Quebec, which just happens to be the local electric company. When I took off on my CO flight to EWR, I noticed that there was a Q400 in Hydro Quebec colors parked somewhere around gate 1. They even have flights listed on the YQB website and on the airport monitors under arrivals and departures like the other passenger flights and it seems like they operate daily to the cities of Bagotville and Montreal from Quebec City.

Can any Canadian a-net users tell me what type of services they operate? Are they just for employees of the utility company? If I wanted to book a flight with them between YQB and YUL, is that possible?

Thanks for the info if you're able to help!
Signore e signori-benvenuti a bordo questo volo per l'Italia!

billreid

RE: What Is Hydro Quebec Airlines?

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:13 pm

They have existed for some time.
Its how they get their employees around.

No different that Bill Gates owning a Q400 and calling it Microsoft Ailrlines. But only he doesn't.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Hagic

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:00 pm

HydroQuebec Air usually flyes between Quebec's major cities (Montreal and Quebec City) to their remote power stations in the James Bay area (Hudson Bay) with stops in some municipalities of interest (important power substations, etc). It's truly scheduled for the technical/personnel interests of HydroQuebec (Quebec's generation, transmission and distribution company).
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

AirAmericaC46

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:08 pm

Examples of routes flown by HydroQuebec Air? Thanks for the info.

flyTPA
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info! I can understand that with Canada being such a large country, air travel makes it much easier to cover long distances.

Does anyone know if the planes have a standard coach layout or do they have an executive style interior?
Signore e signori-benvenuti a bordo questo volo per l'Italia!

longhaulheavy

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting BillReid (Reply 1):
No different that Bill Gates owning a Q400 and calling it Microsoft Ailrlines.

Or like the Kimberly-Clark corporation that had its own airline to fly its employees between the company's paper mills. Of course, that airline eventually became Midwest Express in the early 1980s.

Salomon

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:35 pm

They fly 2 Q400 in full livery and 1 Q300 (I'm not sure about the Q300). The 2 Q400s were some on the first delivered, and one of them kept on having a number of reoccuring snags and it became problematic for Hydro so it was replaced by a new Q400 by Bombardier. (Talk about custumer service!)

I think Hydro Quebec has some sort of agreement with Air Inuit, but I don't know the details.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eric Fortin - AirImages

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © BOBK

Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.

dutchjet

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting Longhaulheavy (Reply 5):

Or like the Kimberly-Clark corporation that had its own airline to fly its employees between the company's paper mills. Of course, that airline eventually became Midwest Express in the early 1980s.

Very good point - bravo.

-------

Does Hydro offer any seats at all to the travelling public? Those flights must visit some very remote destinations.

airman99o

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:49 pm

Hey there
A few years Back when Hydro Quebec was waiting on the delievery of the Q400, Skyservice was doing their flying. We would fly from Montreal dorval, then on to, I forget the name of it, I think Noranda??? then off to La Grande. spend a few hours on the ground there, in the smallest airport I have ever been in. WOW lol I don't think the people knew what to do with a 320 lol then pick up 100 or so passengers do a short meal service with a small bar service, non alcoholic, drop off some in Noranda again then on to Montreal. was a twice weekly trip.

Airman99o
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos