Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlanka
Topic Author

Srilankan To Ahamedabad, Mangalore And Australia

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:58 am

Latest from the SriLankan camp new destinations planned for next year.

The new cities being considered in India for next year include Ahmedabad and Mangalore.

The airline will also be flying to Australia from next winter..

While it is not clear whether they will come to SYD only or SYD / MEL both it is a bloody good idea to come back to Australia. Have to book months in advance to get a seat to CMB during Australian summer...MH and SQ are making a killing from traffic to CMB...

Go SriLankan.. waiting to see you back at Tullamarine (Melbourne)...

Airlanka
A taste of Paradise

trvyyz

RE: Srilankan To Ahamedabad, Mangalore And Australia

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:24 am

Soon SriLankan will beat Air India in the number of Indian Destinations.

airlanka
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Well I think they already ahead AI in the number of indian destinations.

Sri Lankan indian destinations,

Chennai (Madras)
Trichy
Trivandrum
Mumbai (Bombay)
Delhi
Bangalore
Kochi (Cochin)
Hyderabad
BodhGaya
Kozihkode (Calicut)
Coimbatore (cargo services)
Goa (from Oct 06)

and more to come I believe....

Airlanka
A taste of Paradise

trvyyz

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:43 pm

AI's Current destinations(from AI website)
1. Ahmedabad
2.Amritsar
3.Bamgalore
4.Madras
5.Delhi
6.Goa
7.Hyderabad
8.Cochin
9.Calcutta
10.Calicut
11.Lucknow
12.Bombay
13.Trivandrum

Almost there!

spacemanspiff

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:08 pm

this is good! keep it up Srilankan. replace those A340's with 777's!!
i am a weirdo from outer space

cricket

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:15 pm

What is SriLankan's current fleet status - do they plan to add more A320's since they are expanding their Indian services so aggressively?
been there, flown that

flyingKangaroo

RE: Srilankan To Ahamedabad, Mangalore And Austral

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Would it be possible for a CMB-SYD/MEL direct flight, or would it need to go via SIN or BKK? Also, if routed via onother Asian city, would they have 5th freedom rights?

Great to see them coming to Australia though!

flyingKangaroo
QANTAS-- The Spirit of Australia

flying-b773

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Re Airlanka ; dont think MH/SQ are making a killing though.. Yields to and from colombo is considered one of the lowest around, if you aint aware...

Regards,
North

srilankan

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:27 pm

I would not be putting my money on Australia .....yet.

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting Flying-b773 (Reply 7):
Yields to and from colombo is considered one of the lowest around, if you aint aware...

Tell that to OK. Our flights were full house both J and Y on both outbound and inbound sectors.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Vimanav

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting FlyingKangaroo (Reply 6):
Would it be possible for a CMB-SYD/MEL direct flight, or would it need to go via SIN or BKK? Also, if routed via onother Asian city, would they have 5th freedom rights?

With CMB-SYD @ 8760kms and CMB-MEL @ 8353kms, dont see why their A340-313X aircraft cannot do this sector quite comfortably. If routed via another Asian city, their 5th freedom rights will entirely depend upon the air services agreement that country will have with Sri Lanka.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

Robbie86

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 pm

Hmm... Who would want to go to Sri Lanka in these days? Don´t you think that it's kinda bold of them to make these expansions in the middle of a domestic war?

orlando666

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:42 pm

years ago as Air Lanka, beleive their Tristar's did CMB-SYD-MEL nonstop. I could be mistaken though and maybe it was via SIN. So A343 can surely handle that range nonstop

Nimish

RE: Srilankan To Ahamedabad, Mangalore And Austral

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting Robbie86 (Reply 11):
Hmm... Who would want to go to Sri Lanka in these days? Don't you think that it's kinda bold of them to make these expansions in the middle of a domestic war?

They've been in the middle of a war for the past 15 years (or more), but that hasn't stopped UL from expanding dramatically to the Indian continent. I would not be surprised if traffic flying on UL was in this order:

1) 5th Freedom to/from India
2) O&D to/from Sri Lanka

They've been tapping 5th freedom traffic from India due to the "open-skies" with Sri Lanka. Also with their frequent flights to/from India, they've become more of a MICE destination as well. People fly them DEL-CMB-BKK (fairly out of the way and a much longer flight), because they're often as cheap as the non-stop plus you get a free stopover in CMB.
Incredible India!

swissgabe

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Airlanka (Thread starter):
The new cities being considered in India for next year include Ahmedabad and Mangalore.

That is not more as what they already planned around 2 or 3 years ago. The Indian market is the most important to UL and the Economy of Sri Lanka.

Quoting Airlanka (Thread starter):
The airline will also be flying to Australia from next winter..

At the old days, when there was no opensky with India, it was pretty stupid by UL to fly to Australia and Southern Africa as the Indian community wasn't able to connect at CMB as there where simply no seats available. But I still doubt, that a possible OZ run would be a cash cow to UL, same as most of the other long-haul flights operated for the moment.

Quoting Nimish (Reply 13):
5th Freedom to/from India

Did UL obtain 5th freedom from India or not? I remember having heard of a possible CMB-CCU-KTM-CMB triangular flight but it never came.

Another question, does Sri Lanka have opensky with all other SAARC countries?

Hmm... Who would want to go to Sri Lanka in these days? Don´t you think that it's kinda bold of them to make these expansions in the middle of a domestic war?

I absolutely agree on that point. There where different other discussions in the past and you might find my other comments by doing a search.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

777way

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 14):

No.

airlanka
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Orlando666 (Reply 12):
years ago as Air Lanka, beleive their Tristar's did CMB-SYD-MEL nonstop. I could be mistaken though and maybe it was via SIN. So A343 can surely handle that range nonstop

Well, when UL last flew to SYD (2000/01) they flew 4 times a week direct CMB-SYD using A340-313 and could carry a full load. So I believe it would be the same.

Well people still flew to London when IRA was active..
Besides most of the traffic from Australia is VFR. I am struggling to get tweats to CMB from MEL this Australian Summer.. This civil war is a bit of scaremongering of people who haven't seen or been to Sri Lanka. The war is predominantely in the North and East.

Quoting FlyingKangaroo (Reply 6):

No I don't think they will route via another asian city. It defeats the purpose. The main focus is to capture traffic to India and also provide faster connections to Europe. Due to the location of Sri Lanka they can take a good 1 hour off from flying time to Europe compared to QF via SIN or BKK to London.

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 14):

Nope.. Not with other SAARC Countries..AFAIK

Quoting SriLankan (Reply 8):
I would not be putting my money on Australia .....yet.

Well , See this then: http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...sion=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16

Quoting Flying-b773 (Reply 7):
Re Airlanka ; dont think MH/SQ are making a killing though.. Yields to and from colombo is considered one of the lowest around, if you aint aware...

Full plane loads are better to have rather than premium fares with high yields.. That is what MH and SQ are doing and same with QF these days as I find ever so often when flying on SYD-MEL route..(QF gold status in 4 months this year  Smile.
A taste of Paradise

swissgabe

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Airlanka (Reply 16):
Well people still flew to London when IRA was active..
Besides most of the traffic from Australia is VFR. I am struggling to get tweats to CMB from MEL this Australian Summer.. This civil war is a bit of scaremongering of people who haven't seen or been to Sri Lanka. The war is predominantely in the North and East.

With a breakout of War or more terrorist attacks in Colombo, tourist arrivals would go down dramastically as it has been in the past. I don't think Sri Lanka could be compared with the UK during the IRA times.

Quoting Airlanka (Reply 16):
Full plane loads are better to have rather than premium fares with high yields.. That is what MH and SQ are doing and same with QF these days as I find ever so often when flying on SYD-MEL route..(QF gold status in 4 months this year  .

In the short term it might be ok to have at least some money in the pocket. In the mid or long term, a low yield doesn't cover your cost and brings most propably a heavy loss on the route. It works fine if you have a substential front end traffic. Eg SQ with a high yield in F or C and the low yield in Y does fill the rest of the seats and bring some extra money.

Quoting 777way (Reply 15):
Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 14):Another question, does Sri Lanka have opensky with all other SAARC countries?
No.

With whom beside India do they have open sky?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos