Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

US Airways PHL-SLC Or CLT-SLC? Why Not?

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:17 am

why wont usair start clt-slc or phl-slc service??? the demand has got to be there at least seasonally. it always looks to me like americawest has/had a decent following in SLC. im shocked that they started the longer in my opinion less likely PDX to PHL route instead. does anyone think that SLC is soon to come for usair it seems like a natural to me especially during ski season that plane would go out full all winter with high ticket prices.

ophila

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:56 am

I think you will see US East w/ fls to slc...probably w/ the e190s that will come online later in the winter from PHL.....Also look for WN to add seasonal service to SLC as well squeezing DL's 2 daily flts

jmc1975

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:02 am

A daily A319 on SLC-PHL would be very feasible if they can optimally schedule it.

D L X

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:05 am

If I recall correctly, this was one of the three cities US was about to add in September of 2001 before everything changed. The other two were definitely Portland and Vancouver.

So, maybe it's all a matter of timing.

ophila

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 3):
this was one of the three cities US was about to add in September of 2001

Yes I woul expect to see both YVR & SLC come onboard either early next year or in December. YVR -PHL is important with AC US/HP relationship developes.

A330323X

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:36 am

They will be adding a few more red-eye transcons next year, but I understand SMF to be first in line to get one; SLC would probably be next after that.

PHL would likely become US's seventh non-stop destination out of SLC.  Wink
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

SLCUT2777

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 am

USAir doing PHL or CLT service to SLC?: I think part of it is that they know that SLC is a fortress hub for DL, and DL can beat them in a price war to those two trans-con destinations. On the other hand they know they could go toe to toe with DL over PHX which is a huge O&D market to SLC (A mini version of LAX-SFO). While CLT is a fortress hub for US, it also doesn't have much of an O&D market to SLC, but BofA's presence makes west coast connections desirable, something that SLC could offer CLT customers more of.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

vega

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 6):
I think part of it is that they know that SLC is a fortress hub for DL, and DL can beat them in a price war to those two trans-con destinations.

Well I think the other difference, which possibly offsets the CLT low O&D, is that CLT currently has no direct service to SLC, while PHL has DL mainline non-stops. .'. SLC-CLT would seem to be a lower risk choice.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

dutchjet

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

Its likely that we will see PHL-SLC added to the US route system...I am not so sure about CLT-SLC, but it also could happen as US/HP further intergrates their route systems and more east-west routes are added. A319s seem like the right airplane for the job for these routes.

SLCUT2777

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 7):
SLC-CLT would seem to be a lower risk choice.

Which is why DL will likely beat them to the punch on this one and start a SLC-CLT route with likely an MD-90.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

MAH4546

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 3):
If I recall correctly, this was one of the three cities US was about to add in September of 2001 before everything changed. The other two were definitely Portland and Vancouver.

They were Portland, Austin, and San Antonio. No Vancouver.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 9):
Quoting Vega (Reply 7):
SLC-CLT would seem to be a lower risk choice.

Which is why DL will likely beat them to the punch on this one and start a SLC-CLT route with likely an MD-90.

I would not hold my breathe for that one. US is more likely, IMO.
a.

theLUREnyc

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 5):
PHL would likely become US's seventh non-stop destination out of SLC.

HP/US flies non-stop to 6 cities already out of SLC? I was only aware of PHX and LAS. What are the others?

USAir doing PHL or CLT service to SLC?: I think part of it is that they know that SLC is a fortress hub for DL, and DL can beat them in a price war to those two trans-con destinations

But they already compete head-to-head with DL on routes to other DL hubs (CLT-ATL, PHL-ATL, PHX-JFK, LAS-JFK for example) . . so I dont think some SLC routes to their own large hubs would be such a bad idea.

mtnwest1979

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 11):

HP/US flies non-stop to 6 cities already out of SLC? I was only aware of PHX and LAS. What are the others?

Probably including the new America West Express flights to Moab, Vernal, and Cedar City,UT. But that is still only 5.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

theLUREnyc

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 12):
Probably including the new America West Express flights to Moab, Vernal, and Cedar City,UT. But that is still only 5

]

Didnt know about those. What planes do they fly on those routes? Are they EAS?

MAH4546

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:17 am

But they already compete head-to-head with DL on routes to other DL hubs (CLT-ATL, PHL-ATL, PHX-JFK, LAS-JFK for example) . . so I dont think some SLC routes to their own large hubs would be such a bad idea.

Those other routes are significantly more important that connecting Salt Lake City and Charlotte, two medium-sized cities with no large tourism industries.
a.

A330323X

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 12):
Probably including the new America West Express flights to Moab, Vernal, and Cedar City,UT. But that is still only 5.

I didn't say they fly to six cities already; I said that PHL would likely be the seventh.  Silly

The sixth destination should be Ely, Nevada, where Air Midwest is almost certain to win the contract to provide subsidized EAS.

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 13):
Didnt know about those. What planes do they fly on those routes? Are they EAS?

Air Midwest operates the 19-seat Beech 1900D on SLC-CDC/CNY/VEL, which are indeed subsidized EAS routes.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

Jerseyguy

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Doesn't seem like EWR,JFK or PHL to SLC has much service

Even Delta only has 2 flights to SLC from PHL, EWR and JFK and that there hub
Continental has only 1 EWR-SLC evening flight
SLC-EWR is a redeye
Jetblue only has 1 JFK-SLC flight
JFK-SLC arrives about 1155pm and the return is a redeye

[Edited 2006-07-15 07:48:45]

Amwest2United

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:26 pm

SLC is not a big O & D market from the east. As mentioned above SLC-PHX is big. I agree with JerseyGuy, If SLC was big, the NY city airlines and Washington airlines would have more service. If I remember correctly, the following is true, other than DL, no airlines fly non-stop to SLC from the IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/BDL/BOS/DTW/CLE/MEM/STL (EWR has one CO flight)

DL has 3 NS from JFK, otherwise 2 or 1 from everywhere else, proves a big point, no traffic to SLC. It was mentioned a few years ago that SLC and CVG were mainly connecting hubs for DL, note the loss of several mainline flights in both and a hub structure change in SLC, causing the east coast to go from 3 to 2 flights a day.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

mrstl

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting Amwest2United (Reply 17):
no airlines fly non-stop to SLC from the IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/BDL/BOS/DTW/CLE/MEM/STL (

STL-SLC is served by WN.

MastaHanky

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 18):
Quoting Amwest2United (Reply 17):
no airlines fly non-stop to SLC from the IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/BDL/BOS/DTW/CLE/MEM/STL (

STL-SLC is served by WN.

WN also does BWI-SLC nonstop. NW did DTW-SLC for a while, but it's now just seasonal.

apodino

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:22 am

Well, they barely compete on the ATL routes since the ATL routes you mention are all flown by RJ's these days. And the JFK routes are to the the PHX fortress hub, and the lesser LAS hub, where DL doesn't enjoy nearly as much of a presence.

P

and DL can beat them in a price war to those two trans-con destinations.

Even if they started service on the route, don't look for a price war. Doug Parker has said in the past that he will not engage in price wars on routes where it does not make sense to do so. For example, PHX-DFW. US has flights on the route to maintain a token presence to the hubs, something Parker said was important so that you can have loyal US customers, but if American tried to undercut them on the route, and US would lose a lot of money trying to match, I would not expect US to match, and rather focus on the passengers on the flight who are making the airlines money. US has one of the best yield management programs in the country, and they use it very well to maximize revenue, unlike other airlines which are constantly trying to undercut everyone else, hence why so many airlines have been bleeding red ink for years.

FCYTravis

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 20):
Well, they barely compete on the ATL routes since the ATL routes you mention are all flown by RJ's these days.

In September, mainline will return to PHL-ATL.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 14):
Those other routes are significantly more important that connecting Salt Lake City and Charlotte, two medium-sized cities with no large tourism industries.

Are you serious?????? I know you are from Sweden but go to the Salt Lake City airport sduring ski season and till me that Utah has no tourism industry???? sundance alone brings in alot and all the national parks in the summer bring in alot. Probably the biggest draw all the mormons who travel on vacation with the large families to see Salt Lake City. That is why SLCs O&D numbers and so strong tourism

www.utah-tourism.net

17.2 million people visited utah last year thats almost twice the population of sweden

vega

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:54 am

Quoting SlcDeltaRUmd11 (Reply 22):
Are you serious?????? I know you are from Sweden but go to the Salt Lake City airport sduring ski season and till me that Utah has no tourism industry???? sundance alone brings in alot and all the national parks in the summer bring in alot. Probably the biggest draw all the mormons who travel on vacation with the large families to see Salt Lake City. That is why SLCs O&D numbers and so strong tourism

Well that's true, but airlines normally don't start new major routes for seasonal use only - there really has to be a strong (inter-city) business base to support premium fares to make the route financially viable.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting SlcDeltaRUmd11 (Reply 22):

www.utah-tourism.net

17.2 million people visited utah last year thats almost twice the population of sweden

What does Sweden have to do with anything? I'm Swedish. I live in the States and I know about Salt Lake City, I've been there. Great place to live, boring place to visit. Three days was two days too many.

It is a gateway to many ski resorts in the region. However, it's tourism industry is much more centralized to people in the West Coast region. In the East Coast, skiers tend to go towards North Carolina, Vermon/New Hampshire, or Vail, Colorado (hence Vail's non-stop service to Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, etc.).

Just because Utah receives 17,2M annual vistors does not mean they come from every possible point. Tourism is many times geographically limited. On the East Coast, you don't find many people going to San Jose del Cabo, just as people on the West Coast are less likely to visit Cozumel. Easter coasters, Caribbean. West coasters, Hawai'i. Midwestern's like Florida's Gulf Coast, Easterns like Florida's Atlantic coast, etc., etc.
a.

HPRamper

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 23):
Well that's true, but airlines normally don't start new major routes for seasonal use only - there really has to be a strong (inter-city) business base to support premium fares to make the route financially viable.

With US especially. The airline really doesn't care as much about the leisure markets, as seen by the much lower frequency between PHX and LAS compared to WN, the shutting down of the FLL focus city, the decreases at MCO etc.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 25):
the shutting down of the FLL focus city

The FLL focus city catered towards business traffic. Not much leisure traffic to Kingston, Guatemala City, etc. The only leisure routes were Key West, Montego Bay, and San Jose.
a.

Skip17

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:55 pm

With CDC and Moab being the most important of course  Wink  Silly

PHL will come soon. I am doubtful SLC will ever have a non-stop to CLT, don't really see the need.

MastaHanky

RE: US Airways PHL-SLC Or CLT-SLC? Why Not?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
It is a gateway to many ski resorts in the region. However, it's tourism industry is much more centralized to people in the West Coast region. In the East Coast, skiers tend to go towards North Carolina, Vermon/New Hampshire, or Vail, Colorado (hence Vail's non-stop service to Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, etc.).

Just because Utah receives 17,2M annual vistors does not mean they come from every possible point. Tourism is many times geographically limited. On the East Coast, you don't find many people going to San Jose del Cabo, just as people on the West Coast are less likely to visit Cozumel. Easter coasters, Caribbean. West coasters, Hawai'i. Midwestern's like Florida's Gulf Coast, Easterns like Florida's Atlantic coast, etc., etc.

Oh come on now, Salt Lake offers a lot more to attract tourists than skiing! I mean, look at the wide variety of attractions we have:

- Kennecott, the world's largest hole in the ground.
- 3.2% beer
- A smelly lake
- 3.2% beer
- Salt
- 3.2% beer

With such a list, it's no surprise that people are flocking from all over the globe to engage in an opportunity to have to drink ten beers before getting a buzz!

In all seriousness, yes, you've nailed it ... Utah's tourism is very localized. I'm guessing Vail in Colorado is more of a nationally-visited place due to the celebrity appeal...that's where the "rich and famous" go. Plus, tourists aren't exactly moneymakers to the airlines. Salt Lake's population have massive ties to Phoenix and southern California, and I'm betting that's where most of these tourists come from. There 16 nonstops to PHX (DL, US, WN), 14 to LAX (DL, UA, WN) alone ... and I don't think they'd have anywhere near this many if it was just connecting traffic.

I can't see a CLT-SLC happening unless DL were to chapter 7, which I don't see happening. Even a PHL-SLC seems a bit iffy to me.

As much as I enjoy living in SLC, we just don't have the draw to the rest of the outside world, who still see us as a city where alcohol is banned and we all have eight wives. Combine that with a population who aren't big travellers, and it adds up to a lot of dots we have no need to connect with the airport here.

jbmitt

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 19):
NW did DTW-SLC for a while, but it's now just seasonal.

DL has had a MD-90 and E-170 on the route, with a couple of MD-88 subs too.

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 23):

What about Gunnioson(Crested Butte) or Eagle County airport(vail) or Montrose(Telluride), or Hayden(steamboat springs) or Jackson Hole all seasonal mostly airports for ski season

I guess maybe the difference between those cities and SLC is the no competition factor so fares are higher prob making the flights more profitable even if they are not as full

Does NWA operate seasonal DTW-SLC????

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:37 am

However, it's tourism industry is much more centralized to people in the West Coast region

Utah skiing appeals most to the east coast who want to experience powder and some skiing you cant get on the east coast. People in the West have access to other ski areas closer. New Jersey, Conn, NY, and Mass are all prob the biggest numbers of skiiers after cali to utah skiing. I know at Deer Valley NY, NJ, and Conn are the three biggest after Cali.

I am an obsessed utah skiier stuck in dirty jersey and can tell you first hand on flights to SLC are rediculously packed from the east coast in winter for one reason skiing people arnt flying in even close numbers from abq, phx, sea, pdx to ski utah they have comparable skiing closer

dosn't delta put bigger planes and more frequencies on the SLC and BOS routes in winter to support all the eastern skiiers going to ski utah????

jetblues slc flights in the winter look packed everytime to me 100% and well and when i flew the fligth in the summer it was a third full at best

iowaman

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 28):
There 16 nonstops to PHX (DL, US, WN), 14 to LAX (DL, UA, WN) alone

LAS is up there also.

Quoting Slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 30):
Does NWA operate seasonal DTW-SLC????

As already mentioned in this thread, yes.

FlightShadow

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 32):
There 16 nonstops to PHX (DL, US, WN), 14 to LAX (DL, UA, WN) alone

LAS is up there also.

Weekdays 15 (6 DL, 1 HP, 8WN) dropping to 10-ish on Saturdays.

Quoting SlcDeltaRUmd11 (Reply 31):
jetblues slc flights in the winter look packed everytime to me 100% and well and when i flew the fligth in the summer it was a third full at best

I heard recently that JFK-SLC is one of B6's main money losers. Surprising when their current fare is only $.01 more than DL's best fare, and you can get DirecTV and Blue Potato Chips on B6! Whoot! Do people just not like Redeyes - or is DL a more established name in the SLC area? Probably the latter...

- Kennecott, the world's largest hole in the ground.
- 3.2% beer
- A smelly lake
- 3.2% beer
- Salt
- 3.2% beer

You're forgetting:
-Private clubs where it's illegal to smoke
-Sagebrush
-Another shallow, stinky lake 40 miles to the south
-Sagebrush
-The US's largest collection of natural brine shrimp
-Sagebrush (hey, this ain't SXM!)

a city where alcohol is banned and we all have eight wives

LOL. If only WesternA318 were here right now...
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 33):
I heard recently that JFK-SLC is one of B6's main money losers. Surprising when their current fare is only $.01 more than DL's best fare, and you can get DirecTV and Blue Potato Chips on B6! Whoot! Do people just not like Redeyes - or is DL a more established name in the SLC area? Probably the latter...

SLC-JFK and -LGB mainly operate for the fact that jetBlue's phone reservationists are all based in the Salt Lake City-area, as well as some other minor operations.
a.

MastaHanky

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):
as well as some other minor operations.

*cough*fueling station for the BUR-JFK "nonstops"*cough*

Skip17

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 am

and we all have eight wives.

Some people still think it's true. I get this question on a daily basis. So for the record...No mormons can't have more than one wife.

What aircraft would serve PHL-SLC if ever planned?

HPRamper

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:39 am

Might be a good route to open on the E-190, as they will be based in PHL initially. If it performs well, maybe increased frequency, or upgrade to A319.

iowaman

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 37):
Might be a good route to open on the E-190, as they will be based in PHL initially. If it performs well, maybe increased frequency, or upgrade to A319.

An E190 with any decent payload couldn't make PHL-SLC n/s.

N1120A

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:55 am

They will be adding a few more red-eye transcons next year

How very jetBlue of them

Just because Utah receives 17,2M annual vistors does not mean they come from every possible point. Tourism is many times geographically limited.

Of course. Further, a large number are VFR Mormon visitors who often drive in.

Cali.

-fornia

rediculously

Ridiculously

I heard recently that JFK-SLC is one of B6's main money losers.

Yeah, I can see that. Like Mark said, it is the res center and Neelman's Mormon tithing that keeps those routes alive.

Quoting Skip17 (Reply 36):
No mormons can't have more than one wife.

Unless they are in a community where they can  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Skip17

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
No Mormons can't have more than one wife.

Unless they are in a community where they can

Sure, but they still can't be apart of the mainstream Mormon church. Surprisingly these rare communities get smaller and smaller.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 37):
Might be a good route to open on the E-190, as they will be based in PHL initially.

Will there be any E-190's based at CLT or PHX in the beginning?

[Edited 2006-07-19 02:24:58]

WesternA318

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:44 pm

LOL. If only WesternA318 were here right now...

TA DA! Im here...noww...who said something bout eight wives...AND WHY WOULDI HAVE 8 WIVES!!!! Do I really look that crazy?  crazy 

What aircraft would serve PHL-SLC if ever planned?

Most likely the A319, it has the perfect range to beat up DL's 737-800's, is a tad more comfortable, looks FANTAStic in US' new paint job, AND...my favorite reason...it's a nice ride.

HPRamper

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 38):
An E190 with any decent payload couldn't make PHL-SLC n/s.

I think AC runs the E-190 YYZ-PHX which is only roughly 50 miles shorter. I would guess they also have decent payloads.

Quoting Skip17 (Reply 40):
Will there be any E-190's based at CLT or PHX in the beginning?

Just PHL at first, CLT won't be long after. Not PHX until after the certificates are combined, since they are going to fly on the East certificate.

MastaHanky

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 42):
I think AC runs the E-190 YYZ-PHX which is only roughly 50 miles shorter. I would guess they also have decent payloads.

The cargo payload would probably be pretty good because I'm guessing the plane is barely half full of passengers.  Big grin

WesternA318

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 43):
The cargo payload would probably be pretty good because I'm guessing the plane is barely half full of passengers.

I took that flight less than a week ago, it was packed with maybe 2-3 seats empty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos