Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

monkeyboi
Topic Author

Bmi To Moscow.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:59 am

Was just looking at some fares on flybmi.com to Moscow.

I thought they were using the A320 on this route. Are they going to have an aircraft particularly configured for the DME route?

The reason I ask, is because when you click on the fare type it gives you a comparison of what you get for your fare type.

It shows economy as 31" legroom with COMPLIMENTARY catering.

But in Business it shows 41" legroom with a 2 x 2 config. I thought on routes where they do have Business class, it was with convertible 2 x 3 seating with legroom similar, or a couple inches more, than economy.

Anyone have any other info?

Cheers!

7LBAC111

RE: Bmi To Moscow.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:32 am

Possibly the Transaero aircraft config? As some flights will be operated by them as far as I understand?

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

monkeyboi
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:40 am

Seems like i've answered my own question.

Just had a look at their Press Centre link on the website:

"Heathrow to Moscow will be the first medium haul route for bmi. The airline has created an entirely new offering for business customers on the Airbus A320 aircraft that will operate this service. It will provide a far superior in-flight product than that offered by the competition.

• bmi will offer a new style business class seat with a 41 inch seat pitch (compared to British Airways 34 inch and Aeroflot 38 inch) - comfort normally associated with long haul travel. bmi will also add personal touches to the level of in-flight service delivery, similar to that offered on much longer journeys."

Wow they actually seem serious about this route. I wonder how BA will respond? Maybe we will see a long haul config'd 767 on this route soon!

Big grin

Vasu

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:54 am

... it all makes me wonder... what IS bmi's actual business model???

Horus

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 1):
Possibly the Transaero aircraft config? As some flights will be operated by them as far as I understand?

bmi will operate the new daily DME service with their own aircraft. Transero will transfer their London flights from LGW to LHR to coincide with the new BD service as they'll be codesharing on one another's flights (a requirement set by the Russians if bmi wanted to serve Moscow).

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 2):

Wow they actually seem serious about this route. I wonder how BA will respond? Maybe we will see a long haul config'd 767 on this route soon!

The flights will depart LHR each day at 09:30 and back by 18:05 allowing for a single aircraft (with the new configuration) to operate the route. Demand for C class and belly cargo is expected to be very high from the start with loads in Y being sluggish to start of with.

Quoting Vasu (Reply 3):
... it all makes me wonder... what IS bmi's actual business model???

Operating an efficient and profitable airline.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Humberside

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting Horus (Reply 4):
The flights will depart LHR each day at 09:30 and back by 18:05 allowing for a single aircraft (with the new configuration) to operate the route. Demand for C class and belly cargo is expected to be very high from the start with loads in Y being sluggish to start of with.

Will the aircraft operate any flights as well as DME. (eg LHR-EDI-LHR-DME-LHR-EDI-LHR)
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Horus

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 5):
Will the aircraft operate any flights as well as DME. (eg LHR-EDI-LHR-DME-LHR-EDI-LHR)

I don't know whether the A320 will operate any other routes when not flying LHR-DME-LHR. I'd imagine when the aircraft is back at LHR any engineering/cabin defects will be addressed and fixed.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

afay1

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:25 am

Obviously there is a great demand on the MOW market for a premium product, BMI is simply adjusting the model to match. Aeroflot, for instance, uses a nearly long-haul business class seat on its TU-154s.

A340600

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:15 am

This is a very smart move by BMI (for once). If they find success they could start a number of medium haul routes with this kind of service and find a niche that doesn't currently appear in the British market. Good luck to them, it would be nice if they'd find where they were going,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos