MeanGreen
Topic Author

Flying In Alaska

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 am

Greetings All,

I am considering non-reving up to ANC from DFW once summer school comes to an end. AA only offers the ANC flights in the summer (although the loads really suck so I wonder why it isn't year round) so I thought I would take the op. to go somewhere I have never been before. I was looking at flights between ANC and BRW and noticed that the only option is Alaska and some prop operator that flies Beech 1900Ds. Is that is? Is Barrow neat? I kind of want to see the Artic Ocean. Is there anywhere else in Alaska that is extra special and worth a day trip? Would renting a car and driving me feasible? I looked online and Alaska wants $500 round trip ANC-BRW. Any insight would be great. It would be kind of cool to go one a 737-200 Smile

TK787

RE: Flying In Alaska

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:54 am

How about a flight to King Salmon, and visit the Katmai National Park. You will see bears hunting for salmon. I don't think it will be any cheaper than Barrow. AS has the monopoly on some flights and the summer season those prices stay up there.
If that is too expensive, just rent a car and drive around the Kenai Peninsula, lots to see.
Or maybe a float plane ride to a lake and go fishing, if you are into that kind of stuff.
If too lazy just go to ANC and watch the heavy cargo planes take off and land
Bon voyage.

Chugach

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:01 am

AS also has direct flights via SEA.

I would suggest landing in Anchorage, renting a car, and doing the Kenai Peninsula to the south and Denali Park to the north. Then, if you're feeling adventurous, go to King Salmon/Katmai as mentioned above, or fly down to Kodiak. A trip like this would give you a great first taste of our state.

The B1900 operator you're referring to is Frontier Flying Service (not F9). For regional flights there are also Era Aviation and PenAir, both of which codeshare with AS.

Also...

Quoting MeanGreen (Thread starter):
AA only offers the ANC flights in the summer (although the loads really suck so I wonder why it isn't year round)

Is there a typo in there? Did you mean to say the loads are great and you're surprised it isn't year round? Or vice versa?  Smile

nonrevman

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:03 am

I have actually been to Barrow in the winter. To tell you the truth, flying up there as a visitor is mainly for the novelty of it since it is the northernmost town. You could probably see polar bears if the ice has returned to Point Barrow. There are only a handful of hotels, and all of them are expensive. Food is also expensive as everything must be shipped up there. If you get a clear night, you could see the Aurora Borealis. There is also a native heritage center to visit in town. Otherwise, the landscape is fairly bleak and your activities are going to be somewhat limited.

If you want a memorable experience, I would recommend going to Denali National Park. In the early fall, you could still probably access the trails near the visitor center and you might be able to go at least a few miles in on the main road. The Kenai peninsula near Anchorage could also make a nice trip.

MUWarriors

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 am

Would renting a car and driving me feasible?

To Barrow? No, you can't drive to Barrow, there aren't any roads. You could drive to Fairbanks, and if the rental company lets you up to Prudhoe Bay (most rental companies don't like the Haul Road though), or down in the Kenai, and tool around Southcentral. Basically the whole state is beautiful, so enjoy.

I was looking at flights between ANC and BRW and noticed that the only option is Alaska and some prop operator that flies Beech 1900Ds.

AS flies to Barrow, though you may need to stop at FAI. Does Frontier fly nonstop ANC to BRW? That would be a hell of a flight on the 1900's.

MeanGreen
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:46 am

I greatly appreciate the responses! The loads are very heavy so it sucks for me! I will probably have to burn a D1 but from what all of you have told me it sounds like it would be worth it. Thanks so much!

alaska737

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:29 pm

If you have your heart set on the Arctic i would suggest this: AS has a flight from ANC-FAI, FAI-BRW, BRW-Prudhoe Bay. you could get off in BRW and still get to fly through Prudhoe Bay and FAI.

King Salmon and Kodiak are both great spots to visit if you enjoy fishing. another thought is a flightseeing trip out of ANC around Prince William Sound, i did that last week and it was UNBELIVEABLE!!!!!

timeair

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 pm

Fly DFW-YEG on AA, then look at flying YEG - YEV (Inuvik, NWT) on 5T (Canadian North), then YEV-YUB (Tuktoyaktuk, NWT) on 6L, and see the Arctic ocean there. Plus, you would get to fly the 737-200M/737-200adv (SAT ONLY) or likely the F100 YEG-YEV(every day except SAT)and a Twotter YEV-YUB!
You would need more than just a day though!
You can't get there from here.

ANCFlyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 pm

Is that is?

Yes

Is Barrow neat?

For a city on the Arctic Ocean, yes. Absolutely like nothing you'[ll ever see anywhere else.

kind of want to see the Artic Ocean.

Go to BRW.  biggrin  You can walk in it, swim in it, pee in it . . .  laughing 

Is there anywhere else in Alaska that is extra special and worth a day trip?

ANYWHERE in Alaska is special. Day trips, on the other hand, are hard to come by. See this map below . . . you can barely go anywhere up here "in a day". It's a big place.

Now, for a decent day trip . . . I recommend ANC-Seward. . . take the train.

Wanna get away from it all, fly to Dillingham.

Like Mountains? Go to Denali.

Wanna see lots of Glaciers? From a boat? Go to Whittier and get the 26 Glacier Cruise.

Would renting a car and driving me feasible?

If you want to go to ANC, FAI, the Kenai or Canada, yup. We don't have that many roads up here, renting a car to go anywhere ain't happening.

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 4):
AS flies to Barrow, though you may need to stop at FAI.

yes  Both directions.

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 4):
Does Frontier fly nonstop ANC to BRW?

Not likely, check the mileage age ask again . . . it'd be like flying a 1900 from MSY to MSP - non stop - loaded.

If you'd like to get more specific in what you want to see, and how much time, I'd be more than happy to help you with plans . . . in fact, I'll be glad to send you an Alaska Visitors Guide if you want to send me your snail mail addy via the A-Net contact.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TheCheese

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 pm

And remember that you'll most likely be flying a 732 from FAI to BRW. Bonus for old airliner fans!

L-188

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:58 pm

I would take Frontiers 1900's over Alaska's 737's any day of the week.

On a clear day you will be that much closer to the scenery.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:31 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 10):
I would take Frontiers 1900's over Alaska's 737's any day of the week.

On a clear day you will be that much closer to the scenery.

checkmark 

Better believe it . . . and the biggest plus, no TSA morons to deal with . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

roseflyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:01 pm

AA only offers the ANC flights in the summer (although the loads really suck so I wonder why it isn't year round) so I thought I would take the op.

Alaska is an incredibly seasonal market. Lots of people want to go in the summer for the amazing beauty and all of the cruises. However in the winter it is dark and cold and the state really empties out. I've been to Juneau and Sitka on a vacation and have also been on a cruise. It is really beautiful although you'll need your jacket.

A suggestion is to go at the tail end of the season. That would be around September. Things will be a lot cheaper and not as crowded. Alaska charges a ton for flights within Alaska, but they have a monopoly and flying into those small airports with only a handful of flights is very expensive. AS has no where near the operating costs of WN.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

mtnwest1979

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:07 am

I have gone up there about 7 times or so, and have done the following.
First time (Sep 1995), my dad and I drove ANC to Kenai, and that took 3 hours each way. But there was road construction over the hills. And there is nothing like zooming past two moose on the side of the road above the posted speed limit.  Wink
Second time (May 1996), I drove up to Talkeetna to see what was up there. Nice easy drive then, but a lot more traffic/construction/businesses thru Wasilla, etc now.
Other times I flew AS SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC in November 1998 or '99. Nice clear and cool.
Went to ANC then flew to Homer on Era DHT for the day. That was fun.
Went AS ANC-BET, spent a few hours, then got on RV LOE BET-DLG-ANC. That was nice riding an Electra with 4 pax. I bought a hat in BET, then when getting off in DLG for break, an RV csa came out and asked 'did you buy a hat in BET?' and I said yes, and she said you were overcharged and I got to get a second from them at DLG. Too bad they are gone now.
Also flew 2F BE1900 ANC-FAI June 2004 to see Denali from a lower altitude. Got some good pics. Spent day there in the 80 degrees and flew back to ANC on AS. Saw LH Cargo jet refueling.
Last time me and coworker flew SEA-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC and then spent time around ANC. It was his first time there. Did ok at Hooter's Texas Hold'em tourny.
Great place to go.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

MUWarriors

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
Not likely, check the mileage age ask again . . . it'd be like flying a 1900 from MSY to MSP - non stop - loaded.

Exactly, which is what baffled me, because he said this:

I was looking at flights between ANC and BRW and noticed that the only option is Alaska and some prop operator that flies Beech 1900Ds.

and I know AS flies 732's up there via FAI. I didn't think it was feasable for Frontier to fly that length, which is why I was confused. I would fly Frontier as well, no TSA, better views and I hate the seats in the 200's.

Barrow is cool, at least you can get to the Ocean, at Prudhoe you have to pay to go on a tour to get there. If you don't head north I would recommend the Kenai loop, and then head over to Valdez, if you have time and it's early enough (mid-September) the Denali Highway is amazing as well.

MeanGreen
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:23 am

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I think it's a toss up now between Alaska and SXM but I will do a trip report whereever I go. SXM might be fun because loads might dictate a fun trip like DFW-JFK-SJU-SXM-SJU-DFW. ANCFlyer, I won't post while on pain killers ever again! Sorry for the is is! I need to learn to make Sergeant Majors happy since I am considering OCS when I graduate from college next year. Alaska looks like a great place to visit, but after seeing that beach at SXM I have to go there!! Maybe someday I'll get to fly something bigger than a 172 and get to blow people over Smile

alaska737

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 am

ok this is for all of you who think it is a non-stop from ANC-BRW on frontier. here is their route map.
Big version: Width: 512 Height: 416 File size: 47kb
as you can see this would be a long flight(s) on a 1900

ANCFlyer

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting MeanGreen (Reply 15):
I need to learn to make Sergeant Majors happy since I am considering OCS when I graduate from college next year.

Worry about the Black Hats first . . . .

When it comes to Sergeants Majors and Butter Bar Lieutenants, it's never a contest . . . you'll either get laughed at or smacked down hard or both.  wink 

Seriously, Good Luck at OCS . . . it's mostly mind games, if you can get by that, it's a done deal.

Again, if you want more specific info on Alaska, drop me a note on my A-Net contact, and I'll see what I can do . . . .

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos