Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Pre 9/11 - CO Considered STN-EWR Shuttle?

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:32 am

I remember prior to the events of 9/11, there were rumours abound that CO were considering launching a STN-EWR 'Shuttle' using ETOP's approved 738's.

While in todays economic and fuel imposed tough operating conditions, such a venture is unlikely to be profitable, how do you think this might have performed?

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

roseflyer

RE: Pre 9/11 - CO Considered STN-EWR Shuttle?

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:38 am

A shuttle operation would have been interesting. Guaranteeing availability on a such a long sector would be difficult. It isn't like CO has a ton of planes sitting around for this in STN. The shuttle services betwen LGA and BOS work since they are both big stations for US and DL. However the idea of making it as easy as just going to the airport from EWR or STN might have worked out. It is a fairly high capacity route in general. But premium cabins are very important. I don't know how they would have done it unless the planes only has business class.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

dutchjet

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:49 am

This is the first I heard of a EWR-STN "Shuttle"........firstly, the 738s would struggle with this route......why is everyone convinced that CO wants to use 737s on transatlantic operations, they dont! And, how would bizFirst work in a Shuttle arrangment? CO makes lots of money selling those expensive seats upfront.

The operation that you mention almost sounds like the LAKER operation of years ago....which is certainly not CO's niche.

The EWR-STN route was launched in June 2001 and was doing OK (not great, just OK) and exceeding expectations although it probably was not yet profitable. The STN service was quickly cancelled after 9/11 due to the downturn in traffic and the fact that CO needed the 752 elsewhere (remember CO quickly retired their DC10 fleet after the attacks). Although there have been rumors about CO returning to STN, it has not happened and CO has settled in at LGW and awaits the opportunity to fly into LHR. Its unlikely that CO will return to STN with any type of service, Shuttle or otherwise.

Falcon Flyer

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:50 am

Didn't CO operate a very short lived EWR trip to Stansted a few years back with a 757 ? Or was that Luton ? I seem to remember it being one of the 2.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

deltairlines

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Falcon flyer (Reply 3):
Didn't CO operate a very short lived EWR trip to Stansted a few years back with a 757 ? Or was that Luton ? I seem to remember it being one of the 2.

Service to STN was operated in the Summer of 2001, with it being cancelled immediately after 9/11.

cedarjet

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:22 am

This "Shuttle" thing is a figment of someone's imagination. Stansted was just another second division Continental port across the water, like Lisbon or Birmingham. They would be as likely, then or now, to operate a "Shuttle" to Stansted as they would to Hamburg or Barcelona. Bonkers fantasy, that's all. Next.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

bobnwa

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
there were rumours abound that CO were considering launching a STN-EWR 'Shuttle'

The only time I ever heard that rumor, was reading this posting.

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 5):
Stansted was just another second division Continental port across the water, like Lisbon or Birmingham.

I disagree. NYC-LON has signifcantly more traffic potential than NYC-HAM or BCN, and is one of very few international routes that could sustain this level of frequency. I dont know of any other international route where there is so much competition, demand, yield or growth potential.
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos