Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CO7e7

RE: Clapping After Landing?

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting AAden (Thread starter):
why is this?

I've seen it happen on many flights. Especially after flying a long 10 hour flight followed by a very smooth landing. I think people clap because they're happy to be back on the ground! but that's my opinion.

-Zaki

MCIGuy

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:10 pm

My sister and I were coming back from STL on a TWA 707 in 1979. We sat on the ground for an hour while they worked on engine #1. We hit a severe thunderstorm just outside of Kansas City. Something bad happend because there was a loud "thump" and the lights went dim. I don't know exactly how much altitude we lost, but it was substantial. I had a zero G feeling for at least 30 seconds and a middle-aged, seasoned FA was sitting in the isle keeping herself on the floor by pressing against the arm rests on the seats. The belly light came on and I could swear tree tops were hitting the bottom of the fuse. We had a VERY hard landing at MCI and the crash team was waiting. We didn't even pull up to the terminal, they rolled the stairs out and we deplaned the "old-fashioned" way. Needless to say, there was applause when we came to a stop. The captain came out of the cockpit and he was getting congratulations ad nauseum.
Airliners.net Moderator Team

GLA MD11

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Gad Elmaleh, a well-known French stand-up comedy performer, says: "I will stop being scared flying when people will stop clapping on landing".  Wink

flyinfroggie

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting CV990 (Reply 22):
Hi!
I experienced that when I flew two weeks ago from LIS to BOG via EWR with CO...

...when our Captain landed the passengers just gave a big aplause, I don't know if it was because we were on firm ground or if the crew did a great job....some people were very stressy with all this!

When taking American friends of mine to Bogotá, I always mention ahead of time things like preparing for the altitude, carrying emergency currency in various pockets, and listening for the clapping when the plane lands in Colombia. It's funny - as soon as they hear the clapping, it all of the sudden validates everything that I'm saying.

I think that it's a cute custom that reminds me of how different we are all brought up.

highflier92660

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:25 pm

I generally notice clapping on flights back to U.S. soil from holiday destinations with a large group of happy revelers after a long flight. On occasion if we "grease one on" there will be some mild clapping as with an "arrival" that registers with Cal Tech over in Pasadena.

access-air

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 15):
This practice is very common in Russia and CIS countries. The reason being, that they want to thank the pilots and FA's for a great flight, and for landing them safely at their destination. Its just one of many way you can show your appreciation toward the flight crew. I personally love this idea, and always clap myself as well. But I do it only when at least a few other people do it around me. Again, on Russian flights its very common, so there is mostly always a group that will.

I noticed this same ocurance on both of my Trans Atlantic flights to/from Warsaw on LOT Polish Airlines in 2003. Both flights were uneventful, matter factly they were two of the best flights I have been on. I saw it more as a gesture to the crew for providing safe passage across the pond....I thought that It was nice....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

avconsultant

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 8):
Homeric, youname it, they clap nomatter what, they probably still think an airplaneis a mystical creature

That's Hilarious!!!

Quoting Allessandro (Reply 11):
Men, I really hate it when people clap after landing... it's my job to do it safe and smooth... do you ever clap when you're in a restaurant and the waiter serves your meal?

I agree, Rosemary keeps my coffee cup filled and I clap when I leave. Posters say it's all right; would they consider it all right, applying the same logic, for boo-ing the pilots on a crap landing?

An former boss said he had a bad landing (hard). After the last passengers were off the planee, the senior F/A walked into the cockpit with her panties around her ankles saying he landed so hard it made her panties fall off. Of course this is a joke, whether he's bs-ing or what it's funny.

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 38):
Like in the video I once saw where a TACA (?) 767 overshot the runway after landing (somewhen in the nineties), there were also a few dead IIRC. Right after touchdown, people start to clap but the plane doesn´t slow down and then hits something.

I remember seeing that video hearing the clapping thinking, that's a little premature. In my above post, the TACA landing would have constituted a boo-ing.

nycfly75

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 am

Its still common practice on AZ flights to/from the US, less so on AZ domestic.

billreid

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:53 am

Maybe people are happy to be where they are going. It's a sign of joy.

People clap at the movies. It is like anyone hears?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

RAFVC10

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting AAden (Thread starter):
alright guys this has happened to me before on AA UA and f9 flights. After a seemingly normal flight some people feel the need to start clapping after touchdown.
why is this?

What a shame!!! Never, never i did it.

Quoting M180up (Reply 1):
maybe they were latin

maybe they were drunk!!
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

tooluther

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:58 am

My WN flight from PIT-MDW ended with a jarring landing followed by the fa asking for a round of applouse for the piolot getting us in 5 mins. early.

infodesk

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:03 am

It seems to be common on charter flights here in Switzerland. I personally think it's a nice touch. I know the pilot is "only" doing his job, but let's face it, it's a hell of a responsible one!  spin 
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:08 am

Men, I really hate it when people clap after landing... it's my job to do it safe and smooth... do you ever clap when you're in a restaurant and the waiter serves your meal?

I do say thank you  Wink

Quoting Himself (Reply 17):
Yeah, I never used to applaud landings, but when I was flying to Moscow to visit the in-laws, my wife told me to clap when we touched down and that that Russians always clap upon landing. I guess it's just a Russian thing. I don't mind.

I heard that on Western carriers, the pax would actually clap on take-off FROM Moscow. Maybe a myth.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

EWRCabincrew

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:11 am

Sometimes we (as crew sitting in the very rear on the jumpseats) start to clap to see if anyone else joins in. Most times, more than a few do. It helps relieve the boredom of the taxi.
You can't cure stupid

jetset7e7

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:12 am

Happened to me on the last flight I went on MAN-ALC-MAN on Excel Airways, me and mates all looked at each other in disbelief as to why the other passengers were clapping. I'm off to CFU in 4 weeks with Monarch Airlines, I shall see if it happens again!
Had it plenty of times of charters.

I had it on a VS flight from MCO to LGW a few years ago, I think it happened as it was very foggy, and the cabin crew came over on the intercom, and said "I didn't realised we had landed, I think the captain deserves a round of applause for the great landing"

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

NASBWI

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:15 am

it's my job to do it safe and smooth

Safe, yes...smooth? Debatable, depending on the pilot. Most of us know the old cliche: any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. But most customers onboard are probably expecting a very firm (read: uncomfortable) bump upon touchdown. And a lot of times, it happens. So when a pilot makes a 'greaser', it always an appreciated change, and people tend to show their appreciation through applause; some people tend not to, and that's fine. I'm not a pilot, but I'm sure it's not easy to make a pillow-soft landing (when the other option is to just "put 'er down". And believe it or not, there are pilots I've met who actually are flattered by the applause - kind of like a pat on the back for not only doing something difficult, but making it seem so easy and smooth.

And then, like others have mentioned, there are those who are overwhelmingly relieved to be back on the ground, especially if they're afraid of flying. Making a smooth landing after a turbulent flight/final approach (gotta love crosswind landings!) definitely gets more applause than your typical smooth-weather-flight.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

Dufo

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 am

As a pilot I experience this quite often, interestingly most of the times by middle-aged people. Luckily we don't have cockpit door on our L410, just curtains.
And to admit it, greasers aren't that hard to do with this baby Big grin
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:31 am

I clap when the landing is bouncy or rough. Everyone else is gasping and I'm whooping it up as if it's a carnival ride.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

LH463

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:32 am

Here is a video of people clapping after landing.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...Lufthansa_Aviation_Video-2524.html
Turning final...

CaptainJon

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:34 am

I also notice this after a good movie the audience just starts to clap...as if the actors actually hears you  Smile

speedbird203

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:36 am

On my last flight with British Airways into Detroit from Heathrow i clapped after we landed in Detroit, I did it 1. Because it was a good landing and 2. The excitement of finally getting the flight complete. After i started clapping most of the cabin did.

[Edited 2006-07-24 18:40:55]
Metro Tower 135.0

jetbluefan1

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:37 am

I actually grew up believing that clapping was required on all flights. Everytime I cross the pond there's always a round of applause. Even last summer when I took KL to AMS there was applause. This past spring I went to PVR via DL and there was applause. It's probably just an international thing, but I personally like it.

JetBluefan1

riyadhnurse

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:07 am

I've clapped often,for the following reasons.1 Thank god it's over ! 2 Malodorous seat mate ! 3.After a near crash landing,that deployed 02 masks,and overhead bins spilled their contents on my head !4.Sheer panic attacks,if I don't clap,I'd slap the crap out of someone !  headache 
Tongue-tied and twisted,just an earthbound misfit,I.

DeC

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:34 am

They use to do it here in Cyprus and Greece as well, and most of them start clapping and cheering as soon as the rear wheels touch down and way before the front landing gear, thrust reversers and brakes are applied. Some of them even clap on touchdown even in heavy weather, I'd really like to see the idiots' faces as soon as the airplane runs out the runway and into the fields

[Edited 2006-07-24 19:39:18]
DEC

777Dad

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:44 am

It's just a nice feeling to be on the ground again. Knowing everything went Ok.
Kinda like a sigh of relief. Nothing wrong with that.

Jeff
 smile 
"I love to fly,I just don't do it enough"

CargairMax50

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:44 am

Personnaly i would feel the same applausing my dentist :p loll It's his job to get on the ground and he does it everyday. Why applause loll

eastern023

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:47 am

This is also common when flying into SCL on a Chilean carrier. eople on Lan Chile and Ladeco used to clap after touch down.
AA will Rise Again!

skyyblue

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:49 am

Men, I really hate it when people clap after landing

Quoting Turnit56N (Reply 14):
I personally don't like it when people clap.

Quoting Bh4007 (Reply 41):
I don't like it and I bet the crew don't either - it's insulting as it suggests that a good landing is unusual and that it was 'by chance' or lucky

Hardly. While I think its dorky as well, its endearing. They are just happy to be "home" in my opinion. It doesn't hurt anyone and they are in jovial spirits. Come on, don't be DebbieDowners bigthumbsup 

The hardest applause I've ever heard was on Cayman Airways GCM-MIA. We had about 60 people that were coming from Cuba to the states for the first time. I'm sure they were very happy to be in America.

In my experience, every flight to Central/South America/Carib has been met with applause (especially, Puerto Rico/Dominicans).

tcxdegsy

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting Dogfighter2111 (Reply 12):
haha, this happens on every charter flight i am on

It's never happened on any TCX or Monarch flights I've been on from Manchester. I think it's a regional thing
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

LTU932

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 4):
This used to be a regular occurence on charter flights in the 80's and early 90's, but in the recent years, this has somewhat come out of fashion over here.

I recall last time we flew LT, which was in 97, we were all clapping after touching down in MIA. Maybe it simply was to congratulate the pilots for a great landing.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

a3xx900

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:08 am

I wish someone would clap when I do my job right...

LOL just imagine that... Everytime the postman drops a letter into the mailbox, everytime the busdriver stops at the busstop, everytime the subway ticket booth guy sells a ticket...  praise 
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

zrs70

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:13 am

do you ever clap when you're in a restaurant and the waiter serves your meal?

Actually, in some restaurants when the chef appears with a platter, it is quite common to "oo" and "ahh" and clap.

As to the OP and many of the other posters.... People clap to show appreciation. Why laugh at this? I remember when I was little, the preppies at school would scoff at whoever dared to be different. I always admired those who felt comfortable in their skin to not care if others laughed at them.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

777Dad

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting CargairMax50 (Reply 75):

True! However a lot of Dentists are butchers.
Unless of course you enjoy leaving your Dentist with a mouth full of cotton and two less teeth!  yummy 
I'd rather applaud my crew and plane knowing they got me to my destination safe.  yes 

Jeff
"I love to fly,I just don't do it enough"

richm

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 am

I hate it when people clap, as they usually ruin the sound of the thrust reversers.  Sad They usually do it before the aircraft has even came to a complete halt, I wonder how many aircraft have overran the runway *after* people have clapped lol.

olympic707

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 8):

Oh man,the greeks on ANY ATH flight will clap as the planemeets terra firma, EVERY TIME. On TW, UA, DL, PA, Homeric, youname it, they clap nomatter what, they probably still think an airplaneis a mystical creature

The Greeks on OA flights clap for the soft, smooth landings, especially on the A340s  bigthumbsup 

Yanni
Fly Olympic - Aviation GREEK STYLE!

thepilot

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:50 am

I remember landing in Ohare and the pilot had to fight a nasty crosswind. He landed it very smooth and the plane started clapping. Similar story on KE to ICN.

When I took three of my classmates flying for their birthday, we had a pretty rough approach but I touched it down really smooth. In appreciation, they clapped for me!  Smile Who really cares about that, though?
From YVR

ChicagoFlyer

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:54 am

Unwarranted applause is annoying, but I have been known to do it from time to time. Here are my applause criteria for what it's worth.

1) Clearly tough conditions for landing. I remember traveling in Argentina and flying AEP-BRC--after a smooth flight we had to fly what seemed to be an unusually long approach--and then I realized that the area was subject to really severe crosswinds--which would sudenly gust and literally move a plane 5 yards laterally off course! The pilot (as it turned out a pretty old guy) flew the 732 manually working the engines in response to each gust. My wife was terrified, all I could do was to tell her to trust the pilot... A few people did throw up, but had enough strength to deservedly clap on touchdown.

2) A very long flight. If you flew from Singapore to NYC in economy, you might as well clap and celebrate the fact the whole thing is over.

3) Unusually smooth landing (like one poster says when you do not notice you are on the ground)

4) Dealing well with emergencies of any kind

emseeeye

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:56 am

In the late 80's I used to fly DL from MCI to FLL at least twice a year. Most of the time from ATL to FLL it would be on an L-1011. EVERY time we landed in FLL and on one occasion in MCO the entire plane clapped. I thought it was odd but maybe it had to do with the size of the airplane and everyone impressed or releived at landing the big thing.

aeroplan73

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Skookum (Reply 2):
Simple. On the AA flights, they are plenty happy to not have had an encouter with mice.

Lol...or snakes.  boxedin 
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

787kq

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting Jahmike (Reply 9):
I have always wandered about this too. It happens all the time when I fly to the Caribbean no matter what airline I am on.

This used to happen all the time on San Juan flights...tradition. Never happened to me anywhere else in Caribbean.

jetset7e7

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting LH463 (Reply 68):
Here is a video of people clapping after landing.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra....html

I wonder how many video's you had to go through to find that! Unless you recorded it  Wink

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

coerj

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 am

It also depends on the situation. After very long flights it is seemingly more common for passengers are relieved by the fact that it's over.

The other day I was flying home from a Backpacking trek in the rocky mountains and once we landed in EWR all 100 members from a variety of crews clapped as we were approaching home and a land of flush toilets and running water.

flydreamliner

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:34 am

The only flight I remember clapping on was an Air Canada flight from FCO-YYZ, which sat delayed two hours on the tarmac in FCO, and then had the long 767-300ER flight of oh, 10 odd hours to Toronto (where there had just been a significant snow fall, and we sat in the pattern 45 minutes due to landing delays) when we touched down, there was clapping, I think just cause it was over.

Quoting Tooluther (Reply 60):
My WN flight from PIT-MDW ended with a jarring landing followed by the fa asking for a round of applouse for the piolot getting us in 5 mins. early.

Yeah...that's Southwest. They're different.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

YULYMX

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:39 am

i thought that only people from Québec on charters Flight applaud when landing in FLL...HAV,VRA,CUN,POP,PUJ??? Other people do that?

Do you clap your Taxi driver? no he is doing is job.. that's what a fly attended told me once!

Arecibo

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:23 am

Years ago when I used to fly into San Juan (SJU), Puerto Rico this was very commun; one day I finally asked why the clapping; I was told that it was a way of rejoycing after "having gone thru the Bermuda triagle safely".....SJU is as you all know a point on this triangle. Interesting !!!  Wow!
Life is tough; It's touher if you're stupid. John Wayne.

DLSLC

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:50 am

Quoting Fly2CHC (Reply 7):
recall it was a common occurence on Aeroflot

That is because they are just happy to make it there alive.  Wink

Anyways, I don't really like the whole clapping thing, I think it is just silly. They best way to show your thanks to the FA's and the pilots is to thank them as you get off. That is how I thank them for a good flight.
DLSLC

777fan

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:01 am

I've noted it on a couple of occasions:

- (2002) After a UA BWI-ORD flight that was delayed four hours (on the ground at BWI) due to a ground stop at ORD.

- (1998?) After a go-around at SFO due to fog and an apparent runway incursion

In the first case, it was a sarcastic clap of "hey, we're finally here", while on the second, I think it was more of a feeling of relief and kudos to the pilot for getting us there under less than perfect conditions.

I've flown many transpacific flights but have never noticed persons of Asian origin clap upon landing...

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting SpeedBird203 (Reply 70):
1. Because it was a good landing and 2.

Quoting ChicagoFlyer (Reply 86):
3) Unusually smooth landing (like one poster says when you do not notice you are on the ground)

Smoothness is not a measure of a good landing. Touching down in the zone, no bounce and so forth are far more important to the pilots than smoothness. Of course, bringing her down hard enough to knock the fillings out isn't good either, but you see what I mean  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

justplanecrazy

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:22 am

i heard clapping a few years ago on a flight to LAX when i asked the passenger next to me why are some people clapping he said it's because we had female pilots and it was a safe landing,but since then ive heard clapping when landing and there was no female in the flight crew .
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

FLYACYYZ

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:51 am

Top "Clap" flights on AC:

#1) YYZ - TLV

#2) YYZ - FCO

And any other flight where I solicit for it over the P.A.
Love the adulation!!  Smile Smile
Above and Beyond

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos