Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ctang
Topic Author

Any News About New AC Flights To Australia?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:52 pm

Is AC close to releasing details about its proposed YYZ-LAX-SYD flights with the 777?

baroque

RE: Any News About New AC Flights To Australia?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Ctang (Thread starter):
Is AC close to releasing details about its proposed YYZ-LAX-SYD flights with the 777?

Oh B, D & B I was hoping to read Vancouver-Sydney with no intermediate stops. Back to keeping fingers crossed that the bleeding obvious will dawn at AC or failing that QF - fat chance the latter!

Olympus69

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting Ctang (Thread starter):

There's probably no point in releasing details before they have received approval for the route.

flydreamliner

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 1):

Oh B, D & B I was hoping to read Vancouver-Sydney with no intermediate stops. Back to keeping fingers crossed that the bleeding obvious will dawn at AC or failing that QF - fat chance the latter!

I think a lot of people would rather transfer in YVR over LAX, and likely SFO as well. It will also be a step up over the current 763ER stopping in HNL.

connies4ever

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:29 am

As far as I am aware, the YVR-SYD service would remain.

FLYACYYZ

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:29 am

Not a thing has been uttered about this route. The only rumor rumbling amongst the LAX staff is that the 777 will be aligned with the current "red-eye" flight AC794 ex LAX arriving in YYZ at 0605---and it is merely that---a rumour.

The CEO has said that YVR-SYD will remain (Always subject to change of course).

sunrisevalley

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 5):
he only rumor rumbling amongst the LAX staff is that the 777 will be aligned with the current "red-eye" flight AC794 ex LAX arriving in YYZ at 0605-

IF it turns out this way it looks like a 9am out of YYZ, out of LAX about 1PM into SYD 8pm, out of SYD about mid-night into LAX about 8PM , out at 10.30PM into YYZ about 0605AM.... This would be about 12 hours different from UA or QF.

planemanofnz

Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm

What about 777 flights to AKL? AC said have said over the past couple of months that they are very interested in AKL and NZ.

ZK-NBT

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 7):
What about 777 flights to AKL? AC said have said over the past couple of months that they are very interested in AKL and NZ.

I've heard that awell, probably more of a 787 route. NZ are interested in the route aswell, maybe 3 flights each with 787's?

NZ may do a 1 stop service with a 772 since the 787's are still 4 years away, AC may do the route with a 772LR but obviously the 787 is a better size.

ANother

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm

Does Air Canada have the rights to operate via Los Angeles?

If you look here: http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/air-aerien/agreements/html/australia_e.html

you see that AC has the right to operate from any point in Canada, via San Francisco, Honolulu, Tahiti, Fiji, a point to be agreed to Sydney and one other point in Australia to be named by Canada.

This implies that Australia must agree to LAX as an intermediate point. Have they done so?

Pulkovokiwi

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 8):

NZ is always interested in a route when a competitor comes up with the idea.

baroque

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:16 pm

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 10):

NZ is always interested in a route when a competitor comes up with the idea.

Hi there stranger, where you been? As if Canucks would want to go to Kiwiland, keep em out, us Aussies like it too much! If you can see your highest mountain, say gidday.

Pulkovokiwi

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:36 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 11):

Got banned for three days. Just about beside meself! Actually had to do some housework. I did see Mt Cook last November and got a $400 ticket for doing $140 kay. Ruined the day.

Gemuser

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Quoting SunriseValley (Reply 6):
IF it turns out this way it looks like a 9am out of YYZ, out of LAX about 1PM into SYD 8pm, out of SYD about mid-night into LAX about 8PM , out at 10.30PM into YYZ about 0605AM.... This would be about 12 hours different from UA or QF.

Seems unlikely.

Arrival would be about 20:30-20:45 based on QF8 timings. The B777 is not faster I assume. Such an arrival would just about have NO connections. Last DJ flight on weekdays to MEL, for example is about 21:15, which you would have NO show of making, especially on a day QF8 operates.

SYD has a 2300-0600 curfew. Last departures are all scheduled for around 22:30, which would put it into YYZ about 0445, on your timings.

The all daylight flight southbound is not that popular, although it is my flight of choice, QF8 has still not reverted to the daily operation it had before 9/11.

As well there is the question of diversions. Although within the B777 nominal range LAX-SYD is an extreme range operation, which means on X days a year it is not going to make it and will have to divert. QF uses Nandi in Fiji, I assume AC would too. The problem with a diversion on an evening arrival is that you will be delayed long enough to miss the curfew. A late arriving aircraft IS NOT a reason for an exemption and the aircraft would not be allowed to land at SYD. The fine for breaking the curfew, for an airline is $A5 million, per time!

It used to be $A100,000 but a certain unnamed Asian airline which has a similar, tight evening turn around in SYD, made a very sensiable business decision that the cost of delaying 400 pax, messing up connections across half the planet and having the aircraft miss its next rotation made it a no brainer. So the next time it happened that the aircraft was late, they did a normal turn around, waited untill ATC shut down, then did an operationally correct departure from an uncontrolled airport! The next day when Oz authorities started screaming at the local manager, he issued a statement offering humble appologies and sent the government a cheque for the max fine, that could be imposed, all without court action. Case closed. The next time the plane was late, exactely the same thing happened. Didn't take our admittley slow ferderal authorities to many time to figure out what was happening, emergency legislation was rushed through parliment upping the fine to $A1 million, and later when that started to look too low, it went to the current level.)

The SYD 2300-0600 curfew is taken VERY seriously in Oz.

Gemuser

sunrisevalley

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 13):
Seems unlikely.

Thanks for the "reality check" on operating into and out of SYD.

baroque

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 13):
Didn't take our admittley slow ferderal authorities to many time to figure out what was happening, emergency legislation was rushed through parliment upping the fine to $A1 million, and later when that started to look too low, it went to the current level.)

Wow, the things you learn if you read strange threads. I mean I knew the Mascot curfew was a serious matter but not those earlier goings on. I've been on QF42 a few times when they have pushed back and waited in CGK for up to an hour because the jet streams were so strong they were going to beat the 05.00 landing witching hour. But I have managed to stay away from the other end of the deal. Thanks for that little history.