Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

memphis
Topic Author

Pilot Life

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:02 am

For all of you airline pilots, I have a question: How do you pursue your flying career while at the same time keep the home fires burning? It seems to me like it would take incredible love and discipline on both ends to make a marriage and a family work; since one has the potential to be away from home many times throughout a given year.
nocturnal

EWRCabincrew

RE: Pilot Life

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:07 am

Same applies for flight attendants, oil platform workers, road warriors, travelling sales people, etc.. You have to make sacrifices and always keep and open line of communication open. Absence making the heart grow fonder helps too.
You can't cure stupid

YULYMX

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:21 am

Pilots are often away but often at home to they only allowed an amouth of time in the air per month i believe...

ZKSUJ

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:48 am

Pilots arent as bad as other professions I would imagine. What I mean is that they would be home at regular intervals (a few days a week or so), where as other professions one may be away for months at a time i.e Oil rig workers, Ship crews, Defence force personell

At the end of the day, I guess if your wife/husband is independant, and is able to take care of themselves, and the commitment level from both parties is large; then it SHOULD not be too much of an issue

EWRCabincrew

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 3):
At the end of the day, I guess if your wife/husband is independant, and is able to take care of themselves, and the commitment level from both parties is large; then it SHOULD not be too much of an issue

That sums it up exactly. It's how our household is run. It works great for us.
You can't cure stupid

AirWillie6475

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting Memphis (Thread starter):
For all of you airline pilots, I have a question: How do you pursue your flying career while at the same time keep the home fires burning? It seems to me like it would take incredible love and discipline on both ends to make a marriage and a family work; since one has the potential to be away from home many times throughout a given year.

If you don't have a partner who is bonded to you, yet is independent, most likely it will end in a divorce. In fact all the pro pilots I know of personally are divorced, and they've lost a lot of money. I would imagine guys flying the top airlines have much better chances of keeping partners since they make a lot of money.

TuRbUleNc3

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 5):
I would imagine guys flying the top airlines have much better chances of keeping partners since they make a lot of money.

Incorrect but correct in some ways too
Not all girls are after money in this world matey, i havent got a penny to scratch my arse with and im not ashamed to admit it! But my girl has stuck by me all the time, from the times i had a bit of money, to now when i dont as she isnt with me for that, shes with me because she loves me.

Now you do get the gold digging type, but they mostly want the footballers, the kind that will be with you until the bank account is bled dry, very very sad women these kind, ive met a few personally and steered clear, if only their targets would do the same!

A saying arises in my mind ' Money cant buy you happiness' ...well thats wrong in a way, as it can.
If i had money id buy an aircraft, which would make me happy, or id buy a new computer, again making me happy. But the happiness would only last for a short time before i got bored.
At least thats my view on it anyway.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:32 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
Same applies for flight attendants, oil platform workers, road warriors, travelling sales people, etc.. You have to make sacrifices and always keep and open line of communication open. Absence making the heart grow fonder helps too.

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 3):

Indeed. Road warrior here. In 2005 I was away from home about two thirds of the time. It's hard but we made it work. It helps that my wife works very hard (13-14 hours a day). A couple of things are important:
- When you're home (in my case most weekends) make sure you spend "quality time" together. Go on "dates". Go out to dinner. Do fun stuff together. Don't sit around watching dumb TV or surfing on a.nut.
- Before getting married, ensure that you understand each others personalities and dreams. My ex-wife and I weren't quite in sync with the fact that I wanted to live abroad and so forth. My fault for not figuring that out earlier. Wife 2.0 is much more in sync with that and we both wanted to move abroad and all that jazz. Few things baffle me more than people who get married before even living together. It's like total strangers shoehorning themselves into a relationship without a very good idea about what is actually going to happen.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

COEXpilot

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Alright, let me start off by saying that my line is about 90 hours a month so I'm gone about 1/2 or maybe a little more. So I am gone too much for my liking. But, you have to make the $$ somehow. At least I get paid to do my favorite thing in the world. cough** behind sex **cough Big grin

My girlfriend is very independent. I've been with her for a year or so and the first thing I told her was that I was a pilot and that I am gone a lot. She seems to handle it very well. She's a paralegal so she is busy a lot. I just don't understand how the wifes that don't work manage being alone so much. It depends on kids i suppose.

Bottomline, is that it is very tough to do this job. If I have kids someday it's going to suck not seeing them. I grew up as a pilots son and the experience is tough.

Flying free is great though.  Smile
Workin Hard and Flying Right with my eyes on the prize. Retirement.

AirWillie6475

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:25 pm

COEXpilot, how's life there? Is hiring cooling down? If they keep their mins, I may be applying in a year or so. Is it possible to commute from Socal area to EWR/CLE?

COEXpilot

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 9):
COEXpilot, how's life there? Is hiring cooling down? If they keep their mins, I may be applying in a year or so. Is it possible to commute from Socal area to EWR/CLE?

I'm not sure that you could call it cooling down. I've been there for almost 2 years. The hiring as had its binges. Now in my opinion its going steady.

The socal area is definitely going to be tough. Every flight out there is FULL. Commuting is a bitch. I assume you have read the list of risks. This job is tough. EWR commute is also a bitch. I did EWR for a while. I live in PHX. The 5 1/2 hours over there is the worst experience if you do it steadly for a while. Don't try to live in NJ either. I have heard to many bad stories. As for CLE, that whole base is kind of cooling down. Cleveland flights are losing demand. It isn't a horrific downfall, but whatever. Don't do CLE. If you get hired beg for IAH. You get what you get, though. Shape your line around regional jet business. Not this BS like IAH-PHX in a f-ing RJ. I'm tired of COEX pullin that shit.

Your profile has some great comments Big grin. Its says your a university student. Is your major something to do with aviation? and just curious. Where in socal? Ever heard of the band Kottonmouth Kings? Thats some Socal shit if I'v ever heard it.

I got my Aviation management degree from North Dakota. I assume it helps with the hiring process, but the whole pilot school thing is just as good.

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:50 pm

I know a Few pilots that spend days away from Home.Family life to them is a Weekend Affair & at times a Monthly one.
Holiday season is a Planned Vacation.
But for the $$$ they get.its ok.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 8):

My girlfriend is very independent. I've been with her for a year or so and the first thing I told her was that I was a pilot and that I am gone a lot. She seems to handle it very well. She's a paralegal so she is busy a lot. I just don't understand how the wifes that don't work manage being alone so much. It depends on kids i suppose.

I haven't figured out what the non working housewives do either. I suppose they can sleep with the gardener...

As for kids, yes they can take a lot of your time lol. My wife still works almost the same hours since we had our daughter, but she works more from home when the little tyke is asleep.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

jumpseatflyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:18 pm

I'm not getting married until I get hired for corporate flying, which will keep me in one place. I guess I'll see how that plan is going in 8-10 years.

fspilot747

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting Jumpseatflyer (Reply 13):
I'm not getting married until I get hired for corporate flying, which will keep me in one place.

With no schedule, that's harder on a family than airline flying.

The guys I know at the airlines don't have it that bad. 3 days on 4 days off.

bhmal

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:22 am

COEXPilot, Just curious if you could give me some info regarding hiring mins for COEX. I am a 1200 hr CFI/CFII with approx 150 multi in King Air 90-200/Baron.
Am I anywhere close or do they need more? I assume I apply online when I get mins met?

Thanks for any info!

wyorca

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Bhmal (Reply 15):
COEXPilot, Just curious if you could give me some info regarding hiring mins for COEX. I am a 1200 hr CFI/CFII with approx 150 multi in King Air 90-200/Baron.
Am I anywhere close or do they need more? I assume I apply online when I get mins met?

Thanks for any info!

This should be more than enough to meet Express's somewhat funny minimums. By that I mean I know guys with good time that can't seem to get an interview, but then hear all these stories of 600 hr flight instructors getting hired.

Your first step is to fill out an application on our main website: www.expressjet.com

then with your name in the cue you have to wait.

I understand hiring will continue through the year. There is a question what will happen to the 69 aircraft (and their pilots) once CAL starts diversifying next year. But I think its pretty likely there won't be any layoffs. Upgrade time might become longer, but right now it is about 2 years. As far as the company goes, it is definitely one of the best regional airlines out there in terms of contract, pay, work rules, etc.

As far as commuting, as was already mentioned, LA is a tough commute, but there are a lot of commuters who make the journey and there are a lot of flight options. I've been commuting from SFO to IAH for a couple of years now, and I will say it is tough, but can be done if that is what you want to do.

mav75

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 10):
Not this BS like IAH-PHX in a f-ing RJ. I'm tired of COEX pullin that shit.

Would you prefer IAH -PSP, -BFL, -SLC, or -BOI? Or perhaps you'd rather do any of the LAX - Mexico red-eyes?

bhmal

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:31 am

Thanks for the info Wyorca. I think I'll go ahead and apply now. I was holding off because I felt like I needed more time. My real hang up is no real PIC multi. Most of my multi is flying right seat in the King Air/Baron. Although I do get to fly and do everything, I just don't know if it is what COEX is looking for. But, it can't hurt to apply and see so that's what I plan to do and just see where it goes from there!

By the way, I'll be living in either Birmingham, AL or Dallas, TX. Hopefully the commutes down to IAH aren't too bad from there.

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting Bhmal (Reply 15):
Just curious if you could give me some info regarding hiring mins for COEX. I am a 1200 hr CFI/CFII with approx 150 multi in King Air 90-200/Baron.
Am I anywhere close or do they need more? I assume I apply online when I get mins met

You are definitely fine just as Wyorca pointed out. Your CFI/CFII hours are efficient. They are similar to what mine were. My advice, Just go for it. Apply, Wait, Celebrate. You will wait though. Your interview will come.

Quoting Mav75 (Reply 17):
Would you prefer IAH -PSP, -BFL, -SLC, or -BOI? Or perhaps you'd rather do any of the LAX - Mexico red-eyes?

IAH-PSP is really the all RJ route. IAH-BFL is well,... Bakersfield. I have not flown the SLC route. Its a mixed route with CO. BOI I have done once. It was cold and icy.

So I would have to say Palm Springs. It's nice out there and we have a decent hotel. I do that route a lot. So I pick IAH-PSP.

squawk0303

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:51 am

I'm planning on marrying a woman who flies for a profession or at least a hobby.

I wanna keep flying in the family even after I'm gone... hehehe

usair320

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:34 am

Although im not a pilot I do know an AA pilot who flies for 3 days home for 4 days. Which to me sounds like a good deal.

SkyWest700

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:13 am

My Father is a Captain for United Airlines and I grew up with aviation and it wasn't bad. My dad always seemed to be home at the right time and you get used to christmas on the 23rd and birthdays a little early but overall my dad did a great job with his schedules. My mom was a stay at home mom and she loved it. Raising two kids kept here busy enough. My mom and dad both knew what they were getting into and they made it work.

As for me I tell every girlfriend i get on the first day that I am going to be gone three or four days out of the week. But then I make it sound better by telling them I have three or four days off with absolutly nothing to do but spend time with them. Some of the girls have taken it better than others though that is why Im holding off on marriage.

phxpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 21):
Although im not a pilot I do know an AA pilot who flies for 3 days home for 4 days. Which to me sounds like a good deal

Unfortunately, not all of us have such enviable schedules. For example during the month of August, I fly 5 days, 2 off, fly 6, 4 off, fly 4, 2 off, fly 5, 2 off. Keep in mind I am in the top 10% of my airline's seniority list.

My wife is also a pilot with my airline, but on a different type. She is number 5 in seniority for her position, domicile, and airplane. She is working 4 on, two off for the month.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 11):
know a Few pilots that spend days away from Home.Family life to them is a Weekend Affair & at times a Monthly one.
Holiday season is a Planned Vacation.
But for the $$$ they get.its ok.

For me personally, between our two schedules for August we get to spend a grand total of TWO days off together, and 5 nights in bed together. We both work holidays and nearly all weekends. We spend our vacation together, but that is about all. And trust me, the money does NOT make it worth it. I average 325 hours away from home each month.

My wife is my whole life and as soon as I can find another flying job where I will be home more often or as soon as my wife moves on to another airline and increases her income, I will quit the airline business. Just saying that is heartbreaking considering all I have ever wanted to do was be an airline pilot. However, the lifestyle takes a tremendous toll on your personal life and for me is no longer worth it. Starting or raising a family is impossible; heck, we haven't even been able to have a dog! The only reason I am still here is because it would be too much a financial burden to give up an $80K salary and rely on one income.

Those of you who are not airline pilots who may think "the grass is always greener," let me assure you that is not always the case.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:12 am

Phxpilot, while I understand your problems, I dare to suggest to think twice about quitting. This lifestyle change may not make you happier. I did something similar recently (well, year and half ago). I'm not a pilot, however, I'm a former road warrior. I've been working in medical instrumentation field service almost 12 years. Always on road. I never knew ahead what I'll do in next two days.
What I do now is basically 9-5 job, with little bit of travel. I'm making significantly more than before, the kids and wife are happy, because I'm always home. But... When the travel time is over, I'm having weird feelings. I'm missing the travel, the permanent change, meeting the customers, etc. Once I've got this nomadic lifestyle to my blood, can't get rid of it. Switching to more settled lifestyle doesn't fit my personality.
Hope you can find the optimal solution for yourself soon. Good luck.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting SkyWest700 (Reply 22):
My Father is a Captain for United Airlines and I grew up with aviation and it wasn't bad. My dad always seemed to be home at the right time and you get used to christmas on the 23rd and birthdays a little early but overall my dad did a great job with his schedules. My mom was a stay at home mom and she loved it. Raising two kids kept here busy enough. My mom and dad both knew what they were getting into and they made it work.

As for me I tell every girlfriend i get on the first day that I am going to be gone three or four days out of the week. But then I make it sound better by telling them I have three or four days off with absolutly nothing to do but spend time with them. Some of the girls have taken it better than others though that is why Im holding off on marriage.

My life story is almost the same as yours. My dad was at CO though.

Marriage is definitely on hold till I get hired by CO for the big jets.

But I manage on the baby jets for now.  Smile

BTW. How are things over at SkyWest? You on the CRJ?

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting Jumpseatflyer (Reply 13):
I'm not getting married until I get hired for corporate flying, which will keep me in one place. I guess I'll see how that plan is going in 8-10 years.

What if you meet the woman of your dreams before then?

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 21):
Although im not a pilot I do know an AA pilot who flies for 3 days home for 4 days. Which to me sounds like a good deal.

As has been said, this schedule is very nice but probably not the norm. Also note that when said person wants to change plane or AA reorganizes he may have to move to a new city or either deadhead there and back bracketing his flights.

[Edited 2006-07-28 21:41:19]

AirWillie6475

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 10):

The socal area is definitely going to be tough. Every flight out there is FULL. Commuting is a bitch. I assume you have read the list of risks.

Well I asked because someone I knew turned down EWR at EXJ because of commuting reasons but I guess it is possible. As for me I live close to LAX and I don't have dependents so I'll probably be able to do it, hopefully by that time IAH will be available, who knows. I'm wondering why flights are full to EWR, are there a lot of Continental guys in Socal that are based in EWR?

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 27):
Well I asked because someone I knew turned down EWR at EXJ because of commuting reasons but I guess it is possible. As for me I live close to LAX and I don't have dependents so I'll probably be able to do it, hopefully by that time IAH will be available, who knows. I'm wondering why flights are full to EWR, are there a lot of Continental guys in Socal that are based in EWR?

Everyone wishes they could commute closer. There are definitely guys in Socal. I know two guys from the LA area who have been in EWR. One in Thousand Oaks and the other in OC.

The LA-NY route is huge in this industry. I stress to you that IAH is the way to go. Forget commuting, IAH is just better. Newark, NJ by the airport is the deepest shithole in this land of America.

Commuting is going to get easier as you build seniority. It just takes time.

If you don't have a serious girlfriend or kid, you don't mind doing 12 to 18 hours of commuting a week, and you love a jumpseat: you are good with EWR.

With IAH your looking at 9 hours a week of commuting.

CX747

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:02 am

Everyone has said alot of good things, but one thing that is being left out is the fact that the job is not a job but a lifestyle. Travel and getting to fly big jets is great, but spending 15-20 days away from your LIFE can get old in a hurry. Thats what swayed me away from a career in aviation. Spending 10 plus years of my life to come out with no retirement package and head into an industry where pay is decreasing no longer made financial or personal sense. I had the golden ticket for military pilot training and turned it in. Flying is awesome and I love every second of it, but life is more than flying. Having one's life constantly be geared towards your profession, your schedule, your health is not a healthy and does not really mesh with a "family" lifestyle because everything is about YOU. If one looks at the overall numbers, that's why more pilots get divorced than non pilots. Life may be your own "show" for a while but it can't stay that way if you want other people in it.

I think that's one thing most of us overlook or overlooked. Life does not stop when you are away. When you are a struggling flight instructor, life doesn't stop and neither do the vacations that your friends take without you or the bills that stack up.

How long are you willing to drive around a beat up rust bucket because your flight school doesn't have enough students? Are you willing to spend 7-10 years at a goal (The Majors) that may never materialize? Are you willing to spend 7-10 years to get to that goal and then be put at the bottom of the pile and work for the next 7-10 years when everyone else if off? Are you willing to say happy anniversary to your wife from the other side of the globe for 2 out of every three years? Are you willing to spend 200+ days away from everything else in your life?

For the military side of the house...Are you willing to bet your career that you don't fail a flight physical because the service has a surplus of pilots and needs supply personnel? Are you willing to serve for 13 years, make below civilian wages and then enter a rat race for a high seniority number at a major airline? Are you willing to do "deployment" workups for 6-10 months spend weeks away from your family and friends and then say goodbye to them for 6-8 months as you go on deployment?

There are several other "hidden" features on the road to a 737 cockpit. As you bounce around the pattern on a Saturday afternoon, the family barbecues don't get put on hold, birthdays aren't delayed and life doesn't stop. I worked in the industry for 4+ years and watched more gung ho guys get burnt out than I care to remember. Working every weekend and not getting to attend any weekend functions wears at people after a few months. Let the hourly salary of flight instructor ($15) set in for a minute. Thats a HARD $15 an hour with NO 40 hour guarantee. There are no 401Ks or matching IRAs. Sometimes there is no health insurance and oh by the way, you have to work EVERY WEEKEND. There is no parachute in this industry for not making the "show" and your health is constantly going to be tested. I love jets, I love airlines but the massive sacrifices one has to make to not only GET there but STAY there are not worth it in my opinion. One can fly the friendly skies in a brand new 172, Cirrus or Lancair on the weekends.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:44 am

Quoting CX747 (Reply 29):

You could not have said it better.

I personally went to a large university where aviation is one of the largest program(University of North Dakota), but I have heard stories from some fellow CO express guys who couldn't get signed on till they were 34 because of struggles in a private aviation school.

Aviation has a sick side to it. My dad didn't sign with CO till he was 29 because the Express system didn't exist and he moved around and flew for blow shit airlines. Finally he got a job with Best Airlines and finished the Jet type rating and it took off from there. I'm just glad I am now in the era of Express and Connection airlines. I'm only 24. I've been with COEX for almost two years. The FO pay sucks, but I'm just glad I have a better future to look forward to with CO after at least another 4 years at COEX. I just have a blast everytime I fly.

If I can say one thing to current flight students, it's, If you don't seriously love flying, the airline industry is in a lot of ways is NOT for you. It is tough shit. You gotta love to do it to live through it.

Just my two cents.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 28):
Newark, NJ by the airport is the deepest shithole in this land of America.

I've been a EWR commuter for 20 years, that's why you make the most of it and get together with others to buy a place in the Ironbound or else where in NJ/PA and make it affordable. Lots of CO FAs/pilots have done it. Outside of EWR there are GREAT places. Once you have transport or rely on public transport it's all easy.

EWR=lemons; make the most/best of it=lemonade

I am a PHX-EWR commuter, now, and rely on the hotels in the NJ/EWR area for my once a month overnight between trips. It ends up being cheaper than a crash-pad or equivalent.

The bottom line is with this industry and being gone from home is: there are sacrifices to be made and had. On both parties, you and your family. An airline family, similar to a military/embassy/oil, etc, family, is one of a being subject to weird hours, long days away from home, holidays/birthdays/important events away from loved ones, yet manage to make ends meet in all departments.

My husband has learned to be very flexible with my schedule and learn that I am gone half the month. It took a bit to get adjusted to what my job schedule took, but in the end, it all has worked out. It really does take a special person to be married to an airline crew member (as well as military/embassy/oil, etc.). I see it everyday from my co-workers (friends) and their loved ones too.

I am forever grateful for my husband for his acceptance of my job. When you get a good one, you never let them go. It's harder to meet/keep someone and then get this job than it is to have this job and then meet/keep someone. At least when you have this job first, you have a fighting chance to make our relationship work.
You can't cure stupid

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 31):
I am a PHX-EWR commuter

My dad did PHX-EWR from '97 to '03 after getting CA on the 756. He said it was the worst thing to do. He got back to IAH in '03 where before he did '95 to '97 on the 737 and before that Denver. He takes commuting to IAH well, as do I. Hes got check airmen now and plans to stay at IAH.

For me, as soon I got the call from COEX I immediately moved back to PHX from where my college was. I wasn't going to do GFK-IAH via MSP on NW. I found PHX the perfect place to grow up and now find it the perfect place to live.

EWRCabincrew, I congratulate you on how you take the marriage thing and make it work. My parents had a tough time with the time gone. I mean, they always have. In my recent relationships my girlfriends have taken it well. But like CX747 said. This is no job. It is a way of life.

and just curious what equipment are you on @ EWR?

CX747

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:55 pm

Thanks for the kind words COEXpilot. I'd just like to add a few more thoughts and then I'll get off my soap box. First off, I love flying and have always wanted to fly in the military and airlines. I was extremely upset last week when I read about how Ryanair operates. All of their pilots are home every night and work 4 on 3 off. Thats an airline that works its employees but understands how to make the system work for them also.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I do want people to see part of the lifestyle that I was blind to. Going either the military route or the civilian route require major sacrifices. The military is a personal choice and from someone who has been there and done that, should NOT be used as a stepping stone for anything. The military is now a career especially on the flight side of the house. The old days of guys going in and serving 5 years are over. As I stated earlier, you are looking at a minimum of 13 years Active Duty and thats if all the wheels are greased. The civilian side is even dicier. Working at mom and pop flight schools for junk wages and not security is a tough row to hack, especially when you need to live, breath and die with being an instructor for several years. Getting to the express airlines isn't a saving grace either. $18,000 a year does not buy anything more than rent and some groceries! The airlines and the military no longer operate the way they used to in 1985 or 1995. The military is now looking for "lifers" in all of their pilots and nothing less. The airline industry is looking to work their pilots 15-20 days no matter what the seniority.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he stated my thoughts perfectly. He said, "The days of the 707 and DC-8 are over and so is the great lifestyle, huge paychecks and prestige that came along with it." The industry has changed and in my opinion, it has not changed for the better in regards to lifestyle. $80,000 a year is a nice chunk of change, but I'll be making that in another industry that doesn't require any of these major hardships.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

EWRCabincrew

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 32):
and just curious what equipment are you on @ EWR?

ISM (International Service Manger, read: babysitter) on 757s, 767s and 777s.
You can't cure stupid

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting CX747 (Reply 33):
The military is now looking for "lifers" in all of their pilots

My 28 year old brother is currently flying his F-16 in Iraq. He has been gone for a good time. He did his University of Arizona ROTC, then bam he was in training and in Iraq before he knew it. He loves every second of it. He wants to stay in the USAF for a long as he can.

For me, the airlines have always interested me since I was very little. I went the airline way while he was enjoyin pullin 5 G's at 600 knots.

Quoting CX747 (Reply 33):
$18,000 a year does not buy anything more than rent and some groceries!

I'm currently at little higher but not much higher. It really does suck. I tell myself everyday. "This industry is about waiting." Waiting for captain. Then an interview with CO.

My dad always told me that if wanted the big checks then I would have to wait. When I was 18 and made the decision for an Aviation Management college degree I was ready for the $220,000 paycheck. I see it differently now. My dad is in the 150 range @ CO757 seniority list and hes almost to 24 years at CO. I have a long way to go. I pray for no more paycuts, literally everyday. If you enter this industry, you gotta stick it or give up.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 34):
(International Service Manger, read: babysitter)

Very well said. Big grin The only ISM I know of is Ron W.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 35):
The only ISM I know of is Ron W.

I know him too. Good guy.

Quoting COEXpilot (Reply 35):
If you enter this industry, you gotta stick it or give up.

Spoken like an industry insider. Bravo (and all too true)!
You can't cure stupid

COEXpilot

Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 36):
Spoken like an industry insider. Bravo (and all too true)!

Thanks. and it's true down to every letter. I get little kids who come up to me sometimes in terminals and tell me that they wanna grow up to be a pilot. I wish I could give them an info packet on how much it's gonna blow salarywise the first 6 to 10 years. I gotta probably ride jumpseat tommorow for another fantasic commute and great trip.  Sad ahh well. .its work. at least i get paid

IAH-PSP. PSP-IAH. IAH-CLE. CLE-EWR. EWR-CLE. CLE-IAH.
YAY! Cleveland and Newark. way to follow Palm Springs.

see ya later

fly727

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting Memphis (Thread starter):
For all of you airline pilots, I have a question: How do you pursue your flying career while at the same time keep the home fires burning?

I have no fire burning at home...  Sad

RM.
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos