Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mariscal35
Topic Author

Guayaquil's New Enhanced Terminal

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Good news from Ecuador.
Recently Guayaquil just inaugurated their new enhanced terminal, making it one of the most modern airports in South America. Not only that changed, also the airport name was changed from Simon Bolivar Int. (SEGU) to Jose Joaquin de Olmedo Int.
Anyone knows if the airport still holds the same ICAO code?

Cheers
"El partido no estuvo ni bueno ni malo, sino todo lo contrario" Nixon Carcelen

ehho

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Interesting... when I was there two years ago I actually didn't find the old terminal too bad, it looked pretty modern to me.

Where is the new terminal situated, on the same side of the runway, or on the other, near the highway?
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

Mariscal35
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting Mariscal35 (Thread starter):
Where is the new terminal situated, on the same side of the runway, or on the other, near the highway?

It is next to the old terminal as far as I know. There is a webpage, no much information provided about the airport, although a lot concerning bureaucratic movements.
http://www.aag.org.ec/

bongo

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:50 am

also the airport name was changed from Simon Bolivar Int. (SEGU) to Jose Joaquin de Olmedo Int.

Well... the change of name is a better news... I´m tired that everything around our Countries are called Simon Bolivar.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

RICARIZA

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:05 am

Congratulations!!
I found some pictures on the link provided:

Front View:
http://www.aag.org.ec/Galerias/panoramicaFrentejun.jpg

Check In Counters hallway:
http://www.aag.org.ec/Galerias/panoramicaCheckInMay2.jpg

One of the three boarding passways:
http://www.aag.org.ec/Galerias/Mangas.jpg
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

airplane

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:17 pm

They wanted to change it to SEGY but it did not and it just stayed with SEGU.

The airport is just looking great.

Go GYE go !

JP
Gotta love seeing the world from above

luisde8cd

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:31 pm

Not only that changed, also the airport name was changed from Simon Bolivar Int. (SEGU) to Jose Joaquin de Olmedo Int.

Quoting Bongo (Reply 3):
Well... the change of name is a better news... I´m tired that everything around our Countries are called Simon Bolivar.

Now only UIO in Ecuador keeps a Venezuelan hero's name, Mariscal Sucre. Anyone knows why did they change the name? Was it to keep distance with the so called "Bolivarian Revolution" that lunatic Chavez is trying to export? Or was it to avoid having the same name as CCS?

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

airportmanager

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:59 pm

making it one of the most modern airports in South America

Correction, quoted yesterday form the Master of ceremonie sin ianguration event in which i was in, "the best terminal, and most modern in all south america"

Quoting Airplane (Reply 5):
They wanted to change it to SEGY but it did not and it just stayed with SEGU.

Yes, it DID change, it changed yesterday from SEGU to SEGY and thats not going back to SEGU. (Beleive me, when filing a flight plan yesterday, the aviation authority people were mad cause we filled SEGU instead of SEGY... theyre taking it seriously)

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 6):
Or was it to avoid having the same name as CCS?

It was to avoid it and not have 3 airports with same name and also, for a whole new change, a bit drastic after so many years of having the same name... anyway.

Yes, SEGY's terminal is amazing, the new terminal is by far the best ive ever been on in southamerica. Its the best, and very nice. And the best part, the people... not like UIO! Ehemmmm. Any way. I cant wait it gets into operation next month, august 13th and then I can go spotting there on the ramp. I have pics yesterday of the inaguration, but I cant upload them to this A.nt server for some odd reason.. But ill do my best to put the pics up.

lanperu

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:00 pm

This new terminal is VERY nice and proves that "la comunidad Andina" can progress too! The terminal reminds me ALOT of SCL. Especially the check-in areas. Arriba Ecuador!

Mariscal35
Topic Author

RE: Guayaquil's New Enhanced Terminal

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting Airportmanager (Reply 7):
Correction, quoted yesterday form the Master of ceremonie sin ianguration event in which i was in, "the best terminal, and most modern in all south america"

I agree it's pretty modern, but the most modern of South America just by building a new terminal? According to which official authority you base your claiming, Mr. Jaime Nebot  Wink . I'll rather wait to a real airport authority to say otherwise.

KLM685

Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Very nice pictures indeed! Though they need to work a little bit more into their webpage which is not that bad at all!

Congratulations for Guayaquil!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

A388

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Wow, that new airport looks very high tech and nice, congratulations to GYE. Are there plans to build a new terminal in UIO as well? When looking at the photos taken by Stefano Rota (our Ecuador spotter) the terminal in UIO looks very old and out of date. It would be nice to see a new terminal being built there as well.

A388

miamix707

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting Airportmanager (Reply 7):
And the best part, the people... not like UIO! Ehemmmm

?

Btw, what airlines (both freight and pax) fly to Guayaquil? Does Cubana still fly there?

Mariscal35
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 11):
Are there plans to build a new terminal in UIO as well?

There are plans to build a new airport, in the Pifo area, at the west of Quito. Current UIO will be scrapped and the remaining terrain, which it’s of considerable size, will be committed to the municipality.
This is a great project, since UIO is built in the middle of the city and is not safe for that instance.
This is good web you can review the whole project, it mentions the old a new airport of Quito.

http://www.corpaq.com/

AA300B

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 12):
what airlines (both freight and pax) fly to Guayaquil?

Commercial Airlines :

Air Europa
Air Madrid
American Airlines
Avianca
Copa
Continental
Delta
Iberia
KLM
Lacsa
LAN
Santa Barbara Airlines
Taca Peru

Cargo Airlines:

Arrow Air
Atlas Air
Florida West
Gemini Air Cargo
LAN Cargo
Martinair
Tradewinds

Does Cubana still fly there?

No, they stopped operations in 1999.
E145, E170, E190, A310, A300, A319, A320, A321, A330, A340, A380, 717 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 77W, 787

bhmbaglock

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting AA300B (Reply 14):
Commercial Airlines :

Don't forget the local airlines:

TAME
VIP
Icaro
Where are all of my respected members going?

IBERIA747

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Air Europa

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Air Europa does not fly anymore to Ecuador with its own aircraft.

They do a codeshare with Iberia on IB-operated flights.

BTW I was in Ecuador recently and on my way back to MAD I was only able to see the new terminal from the aircraft. It looked VERY nice though.

I've also heard that the runway will be extended. When will this happen?

P.S. Stefano: do you still have those pics of my aircraft taking off from UIO on June 27th? I'd love to see them!!.

[Edited 2006-07-30 08:18:03]
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

TGV

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:17 pm

I was in GYE 4 days ago, and the information given by the media was a transfer of domestic flights to the new terminal on Aug 7th, and of international flights on Aug 13 th.

The old terminal was still quite good (apparently it was renovated 2 years ago), but the capacity seemed a little limited (espcially the gate area).
I will never fly again 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y

airportmanager

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting Mariscal35 (Reply 9):
but the most modern of South America just by building a new terminal? According to which official authority you base your claiming, Mr. Jaime Nebot   . I'll rather wait to a real airport authority to say otherwise.

Umm, he was not the master of deremonies, and no, he did not say it. 1 week before, or less FAA authorities together with other major aviation authorities were at GYE together for a visit, and it was determined as southamericas most modern terminal.....

Quoting A388 (Reply 11):
the terminal in UIO looks very old and out of date. It would be nice to see a new terminal being built there as well.

It would be nice to see something as good as Guayaquils terminal, not a new airport liek they want to here in Quito

Btw, what airlines (both freight and pax) fly to Guayaquil? Does Cubana still fly there?

In adition to the airlines mentioned before

Varig Log
Centurion
Cielos del Peru

and some otehrs im forgetting right now.

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 16):
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Air Europa does not fly anymore to Ecuador with its own aircraft.

Thats right. Air Europa DOESNT fly to GYE nor UIO anymore.

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 16):
P.S. Stefano: do you still have those pics of my aircraft taking off from UIO on June 27th? I'd love to see them!!.

Hang in there, I need a new place to upload my shots and ost them here Sad

A388

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting Airportmanager (Reply 18):

Hang in there, I need a new place to upload my shots and ost them here

Hey Airportmanager, so you are Stefano Rota. I was already wondering under which nickname you would be in this forum, welcome! I always enjoy watching your photos taken at UIO. Keep them coming.

On a side note: I just saw the TAME A320 heading back to Ecuador from Curacao. The flight was originally planned to depart CUR at 14:20LT but it just left so I guess there was some sort of delay.

Saludos,

A388

Mariscal35
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting Airportmanager (Reply 18):

It would be nice to see something as good as Guayaquils terminal, not a new airport liek they want to here in Quito

So you say the building of Quito's new airport is overrated? Well, let me put you into pictures. It's obvious a new airport is needed.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 493 File size: 153kb
Quito's actual airport. An enhacement has already been done. A new one will not solve airport's location problem, it will only make it worst.

I don't see what's the problem with Quito's new airport.
Big version: Width: 271 Height: 215 File size: 15kb

OzarkD9S

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:17 am

Now THAT looks like a fun airport to fly in and out of. Out of curiosity, just how close are those skyscrapers to the far end of the runway in the pic posted above? Optical illusions aside, it looks like an EPO* situation to me!

*Experienced Pilots ONLY
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

piercey

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:25 am

Copa
Continental

I thought CO codeshared with COPA to GYE? Flame if wrong!
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

airportmanager

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:38 am

Soooooooo here are the pics! TAken by me and only me  Silly Enjoy, commetns are welcome

•Walking down the tunnel that leads to the jetway

•One of the huge waitinf areas for the 7 initial gates.

• This is the departures hall, full of invited elite people  Smile

•Some nice screens with all necesary information

•Nice duty free shops, and nice girls in them!

•An other big waiting room, with a nice view of the planes infront

•Presidential plane parked at the HUGE tarmac

•Vie from the front, breathtaking!

• And the exterior! Note the number of jetways and the beuty of the terminal its self, not yet operative, bus in 3 weeks, itll be done.

•Jetway details!! LOVE THIS AIRPORT

•View from the outside

And some NICEEEEE models in every door!

•This was about two month ago.....

SOOOO I hope you liked mey pics, in a few days, after many people view this thread, pics will come unavailable due to a bandwith limit the imagehoster has, sorry!
-----------------------------------

Quoting A388 (Reply 19):
On a side note: I just saw the TAME A320 heading back to Ecuador from Curacao. The flight was originally planned to depart CUR at 14:20LT but it just left so I guess there was some sort of delay.

Yep, tame does many charters to CURACAO, allthough, i wodner how many per month. they always have delays, no real schedules on those flights. I hope ICARO does more charters to CURACAO

Quoting A388 (Reply 19):
Hey Airportmanager, so you are Stefano Rota. I was already wondering under which nickname you would be in this forum, welcome! I always enjoy watching your photos taken at UIO. Keep them coming.

Thanks, for the nice comments. This accoudn was beofre my brothers, he used it more and now I use it...  Smile So yes, im UIO spotter Stefano Rota  Smile

A388

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 am

Hola Stefano,

As usual, very nice photos! It looks like the new GYE terminal is bigger than the current UIO terminal, is this correct? The airport looks bigger on your photos. And yes, it's a very nice terminal. Tomorrow our new terminal in CUR will open its doors as well, even though it's not as big as GYE or UIO, it is said to be a very modern terminal as well. I will try to see if I can some nice photos of our terminal as well, but can't promise anything yet.

Are the charterflights from UIO to CUR and v.v. operated because of local demand from CUR or do Ecuadorians also go to CUR on vacation? I was always under the impression that Ecuador was/is a popular vacation destination for the people from Curacao (?).

Keep taking those very nice photos Stefano. There are so many airports I would love to visit for aircraft photography, including UIO   Who knows one day when I have a lot of money I will travel the world for aircraft photography  

A388   

[Edited 2006-07-31 02:00:43]

bhmbaglock

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 21):
Out of curiosity, just how close are those skyscrapers to the far end of the runway in the pic posted above? Optical illusions aside, it looks like an EPO* situation to me!

It's two to three miles. Not quite as bad as it seems as the buildings directly in the flight path aren't more than about 10 stories as I recall. Also, there's about a mile of park just beyond them. I can't recall seeing take-offs in this direction very often though, mostly landings from downtown to the airport.

As far as EPO goes, definitely! Just ask Cubana.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos