Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Katie Couric Demanded Delay In Takeoff

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:57 pm

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07292006/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm

Apparently Katie Couric, ex-NBC's Today Show host and to be the host of CBS's Evening News, used here celeberty to stop a flight where the door was closed and just about to depart the gate and bring on a CBS producer.
According the posted article, this happened on the 6:30 pm DL Shuttle at DCA on Wednesday, July 26.
The flight was about to pull away from the gate, when she ran up the aisle, cellphone to ear, and asked an attendent for access to the cockpit to ask the pilot to stop the a/c, go back to gate for the producer. The attendant, perhaps stupidly starstruck, granted that permission, she got access to the pilot, and was successful to get them to go hook up to the jetway and reopen the door and board the producer, as well as a 2nd person, both of whom had been delayed at the security check. One attendant said the only time something like this had happened to them was due to a sick pax. The flight was not delayed, and apparently arrived early due to tailwinds.
The article at the end condemmens this act, especially in the post 9/11 world and indeed by here behavor, could have been (and perhaps should have been) arrested and face charges. If it was a non-celeb, you bet they would have pulled them off the flight and visit the local jailcell.

isitsafenow

RE: Katie Couric Demanded Delay In Takeoff

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Hopefully the F/A mentioned above is spending a week off without pay.
What a damn stupid move on the F/A's part! You need to think about the other
paying pax. Your judgement call involves safety and comfort of ALL involved.
So Miss Katie is an overpaid news person...so what? The producer could have
been at the airport in time to board with everyone else AT the proper boarding time.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

acidradio

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:14 pm

I'm sure the airline weighed "customer service" vs. "bad PR", which COULD result when these people don't get their way. Even IF their way is ridiculous, against long-standing policies and inconvenient to everyone else involved. No, it's not fair, but that is life.

If you are trying to maintain good PR, it is probably BEST not to anger Katie Couric and to bend backwards a little bit to accommodate her, even if you don't necessarily like what you are being asked to do.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

RayChuang

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:14 pm

And you wonder why a lot of Hollywood celebrities have decided to buy their own planes and/or buy into fractional share plane ownership programs....

WN230

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:18 pm

As one passenger said on the plane, "Who the hell does she think she is?"

Quoting LTBEWR (Thread starter):
The flight was about to pull away from the gate, when she ran up the aisle, cellphone to ear, and asked an attendent for access to the cockpit to ask the pilot to stop the a/c, go back to gate for the producer

Whether you're a celeb or not, I think you shouldn't be allowed access to the cockpit to beg for your travel companions to be let on.

could have been (and perhaps should have been) arrested and face charges. If it was a non-celeb, you bet they would have pulled them off the flight and visit the local jailcell.

checkmark  As you say, LTBEWR, us non-celebs would be singin' the blues if we would have done something like that.
Judas Priest North American tour in '08 . . . cannot wait!!!

bhmbaglock

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting Acidradio (Reply 2):
I'm sure the airline weighed "customer service" vs. "bad PR", which COULD result when these people don't get their way. Even IF their way is ridiculous, against long-standing policies and inconvenient to everyone else involved. No, it's not fair, but that is life.

Personally, I'd be much more likely to fly an airline that told Katie to shove it up her "perky" little ass and carried on without her precious producer.
Where are all of my respected members going?

EMBQA

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting WN230 (Reply 4):
As you say, LTBEWR, us non-celebs would be singin' the blues if we would have done something like that.

YUP..!!! I missed a connection by 2 minutes one time. The plane I'm sure was still at the gate and was told 'too bad, so sad, your next flight is in 5 hours'
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Boeing Nut

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm

To be honest, the flight was not delayed, and even arrived early, so where's the harm?

The fact is that there are people above us, and sometimes we just have to accept it. She asked permission and got it. Yea, she might have pushed the envelope by getting out of her seat though.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

leelaw

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:51 pm

How come a $15M per year "personality" is flying commercial. Can't CBS find time for her and her entourage on the corporate jet and/or a netjet? I'm sure there are CBS executives who make far less money who wouldn't be caught dead on the Delta Shuttle. I guess management has to cut corners somewhere to afford her salary?

[Edited 2006-07-30 16:56:33]
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

AirCop

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:56 pm

The flight was about to pull away from the gate, when she ran up the aisle, cellphone to ear, and asked an attendent for access to the cockpit to ask the pilot to stop the a/c, go back to gate for the producer.

Access to the cockpit? Please tell me that I'm not going through this TSA bullshit for nothing? Isn't the cockpit door supposed to be shut and locked before pushback at the gate area? On the face of it, sounds like a security issue here.

BWI757

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:59 pm

6:30? Doesn't the US shuttle run on top of the hour? 1/2 hour later they would of been there!

Oh well

BWI757
"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine" - Andrea Bocelli

VEEREF

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:05 am

Celebrities are only as "above" us as we make them.

I find the entire concept of celebrity worship ludicrous. In my airline days I have had the good fortune as well as misfortune to meet some of these people we hold in so much regard.
My favorite story is one in which I had the extreme pleasure of sitting in the dpeartue lounge prior to deadheading and watched one of these "gods" dig a huge gold nugget from his nose, reach down and wipe it on his sock. Never had I wished I was a tabloid photographer more so than at that moment!
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

lincoln

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:14 am

The flight was about to pull away from the gate, when she ran up the aisle, cellphone to ear, and asked an attendent for access to the cockpit to ask the pilot to stop the a/c, go back to gate for the producer

So... the aircraft had already pulled off of the gate, which means that the cabin door was closed, which means (at least on every airline I've flown) that cell phones must be OFF for the flight.

She then ran twoards the flight deck -- what could/should have been taken as a hostile action- especially in DC- and was able to not only gain access to the flight deck but talk the captain into returning to the gate?

If it were me, I would have returned to the gate alright, but someone would be getting OFF and local law enforcement would be meeting that person at the gate.

6:30 pm DL Shuttle at DCA on Wednesday, July 26.

Doesn't the DL Shuttle run like every half hour anyways? It's not like the producer would have been waiting for the once-weekly flight next Tuesday.

Yet another reason not to watch CBS News....

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

aogdesk

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 11):
dig a huge gold nugget from his nose, reach down and wipe it on his sock

Please, Please enlighten us as to who this may have been!!!!!  Smile

LPLAspotter

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:41 am

Katie Couric has been stated by people in the industry as being one of the biggest premaddonas in the new business. Doesn't surprise me then for what she did.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

OttoPylit

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:15 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I think we are all jumping to conclusions here. I read the article, and then re-read it, just to see it I missed anything. It sounds as if everything thinks the plane was taxiing to the runway and Katie had it turned around. Not so. If you read closely, you will see that it states,"as their plane was about to taxi to the runway" and "had already closed the door and passengers were buckled in", which basically can mean anything from the door was closed and jetway pulled to the plane being in the process of being pushed back by the pushback tug. Having been a gate agent in my earlier years, this is completely feasable, despite her celebrity status. For instance, I've had situations where the door was closed, jetway pulled, when someone runs up to the gate who was about to miss the flight. The two gate agents make the command decision themselves, on the spot, and let the passenger down, pull the jetway back to the plane and let them on. Now, if the plane was in the process of being pushed back, from the agent's point of view, you missed the flight. However, if the word comes from the Captain, by that time, the aircraft is under his control and he can make any calls that he likes. If he deems that the aircraft can pull up to the gate for just a few moments to seat a few more passengers(given they are Shuttle passengers-i.e.-$$$), then he is well within his right to do so. If the plane was under pushback and she comes running up, even the Captain knows it doesn't take 2 minutes to call down to the tug, request a pull-up back to the gate to board a couple more passengers, and then be on his way. As stated, after all of this, the aircraft took off on time and arrived into LGA ahead of schedule. Imagine that! Now, that the airplane been taxiing to the runway or actually been on the runway, then yes, I would agree with the majority as well. Too late, so sad.

I do agree that, had they missed, they would have been back in NYC what, a half hour to an hour later? I'm sure it took longer than that to get to the airport for them.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 12):
So... the aircraft had already pulled off of the gate, which means that the cabin door was closed, which means (at least on every airline I've flown) that cell phones must be OFF for the flight.

I'll be the first to admit, I usually always forget to turn my phone off. I usually keep in on vibrate, but usually seem to forget to turn it off. Of course, I don't answer it, or start texting anyone, but I just let it ring and they can leave a message. I'm still waiting for my flight to end up at the wrong airport or crashing into a large mountain for "interfering with the navigational equipment", but have yet to do so. Bummer.

I am surprised as well that she isn't taking the CBS corporate jet, but for a flight that short and that often, since CBS is footing the bill, they probably told her to just deal with the rest of the cattle.

If I was in charge, I would have pulled back up to the gate, but only because I'm a little biased. She may be 50 and have 3 or 4 kids, but she is still hot. I would certainly tap into some of that!

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

positiverate

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 15):
I am surprised as well that she isn't taking the CBS corporate jet, but for a flight that short and that often, since CBS is footing the bill, they probably told her to just deal with the rest of the cattle.

Probably as a result of the GA restrictions into DCA she was forced to take the Shuttle.

JetBlueGuy2006

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:26 am

you read closely, you will see that it states,"as their plane was about to taxi to the runway" and "had already closed the door and passengers were buckled in", which basically can mean anything from the door was closed and jetway pulled to the plane being in the process of being pushed back by the pushback tug. Having been a gate agent in my earlier years, this is completely feasable, despite her celebrity status.

That makes total sense. Now, I don't agree with what she did, even though she has that status, its not that big of a deal. Besides, I am sure she has to go through security as well.

Think it has been blown out of proportion.

JetBlueGuy2006
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

billreid

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:27 am

I think this is fine. If the plane was on time than no harm at all.
People who think this is wrong are simply jealous.

On time is OK.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

qqflyboy

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:32 am

I find it interesting so many on here are quick to condemn the act. I had a passenger, no celebrity or anything, do the same thing not so long ago. She was on the phone with a friend who was running late and at the gate, but the door had already been closed and jetway pulled. I called the captain and explained the situation. He called the station personel to tell them they could reopen the door to let the pax on. Even after boarding the late pax, we still left on-time. It's great customer service and we demonstrated flexibility. Those passengers will not forget that.

And be sure of this... if the Katie "gained" access to the flight deck, it would have been the captain that allowed it. Flight attendants just can't open the door, and the flight attendant would have explained the situation to the captain. He/she would have made the call. Therefore, the whole idea that she should face charges and jail time is beyond reason.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

IAHFLYR

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting BillReid (Reply 18):
People who think this is wrong are simply jealous.

Jealous, I think not! Jealous would be if she was actually on the CBS corporate jet, only then it might get my slightly jealous feelings to stir, but only slightly.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

mymiles2go

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:37 am

This happens far more often that one might think - 99% of the time for non-celebrities.

This is a solid case of the media trying to play up another media's incident. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jonno

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:39 am

The decision to go back to the jetway was NOT Ms Couric's but the pilot's. Don't blame a passenger making unreasonable demands for the snafu.  duck 

Touchdown777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 1):
Hopefully the F/A mentioned above is spending a week off without pay.

Hopefully ... to loose her job at best.

I'm sure the airline weighed "customer service" vs. "bad PR", which COULD result when these people don't get their way.

Now every celebrety will say, "If she can do it; I can too b/c I am famous!"

T7, who never watches CBS and who doesn't consider CBS a valid news source anymore.
Made in the USA

EMBQA

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Jonno (Reply 22):
The decision to go back to the jetway was NOT Ms Couric's but the pilot's. Don't blame a passenger making unreasonable demands for the snafu

*First, with the main cabin door closed what was she doing on her cell phone..? Your not allowed to use them once the main cabin door is closed pre take off. On landings some airlines now allow you to use them during taxi to the gate.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

RichPhitzwell

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:54 am

I cant blame Katie....of course she will try to get on the plane. I would do the same thing.

The only people to blame are those that did allow here to do this. Probably a good PR move in the long run.

As the homies say:
Dont hate the player, hate the game.

I missed my plane once. I arrived 28 mins (As opposed to 30) before the plane was to depart and since I had luggage I was SOL. I tried to tell them how important I was....I think they heard impotent and so they didnt let me on. This was on American Worst and I just dont fly them.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

IAHFLYR

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 24):
*First, with the main cabin door closed what was she doing on her cell phone..?

Oh that is a well enforced rule huh?  banghead 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

halls120

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:25 am

If you are trying to maintain good PR, it is probably BEST not to anger Katie Couric and to bend backwards a little bit to accommodate her, even if you don't necessarily like what you are being asked to do.

Excuse me, but just who the fu*k does Ms. Couric think she is? If I was the pilot of that aircraft, I'd have told her to sit down and shut up.

Quoting WN230 (Reply 4):
As one passenger said on the plane, "Who the hell does she think she is?"

checkmark 

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 5):
Personally, I'd be much more likely to fly an airline that told Katie to shove it up her "perky" little ass and carried on without her precious producer.

checkmark  checkmark 

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 7):
The fact is that there are people above us, and sometimes we just have to accept it.

The reason why people like her get away with this kind of crap is because of attitudes like yours.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 17):
you read closely, you will see that it states,"as their plane was about to taxi to the runway" and "had already closed the door and passengers were buckled in", which basically can mean anything from the door was closed and jetway pulled to the plane being in the process of being pushed back by the pushback tug. Having been a gate agent in my earlier years, this is completely feasable, despite her celebrity status.

That makes total sense. Now, I don't agree with what she did, even though she has that status, its not that big of a deal. Besides, I am sure she has to go through security as well.

Right. Keep believing that.

Next time you are on the shuttle, why not try an experiment. Why not get up and run to the front of the aircraft and demand to talk to the pilot. See what that gets you, and report back to us.

After you get released from custody, of course.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

wjcandee

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting BWI757 (Reply 10):
6:30? Doesn't the US shuttle run on top of the hour? 1/2 hour later they would of been there!

Oh well

EXACTLY!! Even Katie and her dopey "producer" should know that if they wait just a few minutes, they can be off on the other shuttle less than half an hour later (because it was already past the hour).

mymiles2go

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:33 am

So you believe everything you read in the media? It's a very funny double-standard exhibited here. Every other aviation story that's ever written, folks on this forum say "Never believe it, garbage!" (or some variation of that). Yet, when convienent, people say "Down with the F/A and/or Katie!".

Funny how hyprocritical everyone is.

As usual, nobody knows the facts here because many of them don't jive.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:35 am

The fact is that there are people above us, and sometimes we just have to accept it.

Quite possibly, like the President (regardless who it is), but certainly NOT Katie Couric. She reads a teleprompter. How above us can she be.
You can't cure stupid

WesternA318

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting WN230 (Reply 4):
Whether you're a celeb or not, I think you shouldn't be allowed access to the cockpit to beg for your travel companions to be let on.

Amen to that, kinda makes this whole "security" thing were trying to keep kinda irrelevant, dunnit?

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 5):

bigthumbsup  Same here.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 9):
Access to the cockpit? Please tell me that I'm not going through this TSA bullshit for nothing? Isn't the cockpit door supposed to be shut and locked before pushback at the gate area? On the face of it, sounds like a security issue here.

It should be taken as a security issue. The captain should have pulled back up to the gate, withthe DCA police at the jetway to offload her.

If I was in charge, I would have pulled back up to the gate, but only because I'm a little biased. She may be 50 and have 3 or 4 kids, but she is still hot. I would certainly tap into some of that!

And make use of the place called the cockpit, right?  wink 

NIKV69

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting LPLAspotter (Reply 14):
Katie Couric has been stated by people in the industry as being one of the biggest premaddonas in the new business.

That's a no brainer.

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 25):
The only people to blame are those that did allow here to do this

checkmark 
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

SFOMEX

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:56 am

Of course, I don't answer it, or start texting anyone, but I just let it ring and they can leave a message. I'm still waiting for my flight to end up at the wrong airport or crashing into a large mountain for "interfering with the navigational equipment", but have yet to do so. Bummer.

I hate to be off-topic, but I had an interesting experience about this. One month ago, I was flying MAD-TLV in Iberia. After all the safety announcements and just before entering to the runaway, the pilot reminded all the passengers that cell phones were supposed to be turned-off. He said that one cell phone was interfering with the navigational instruments and thus we couldn't take off. You could tell he was mad. Immediately, the FA's started to tell us to turn off our cell phones. After a couple o f minutes, we finally took off.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

wjcandee

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting Qqflyboy (Reply 19):
I called the captain and explained the situation. He called the station personel to tell them they could reopen the door to let the pax on. Even after boarding the late pax, we still left on-time. It's great customer service and we demonstrated flexibility.

Right. You *called* the captain and explained the situation and he took it from there. Couric demanded and received *access to the cockpit* -- at DCA no less -- and now her idiot reps are saying she "received permission" from the flight attendant to enter the cockpit? Riiiiiiight.

If, say, Tom Delay or Karl Rove or Newt Gingrich or Ann Coulter had done this, the media would be calling for their head and demanding an investigation as to whether they were "guilty" of the "felony" of "interfering with a flight crew", like, say, this imaginary story:

"The FAA is investigating tonight whether conservative columnist/senator/strategist ABCD committed the federal crime of interfering with a flight crew this afternoon, when she bolted from her seat and accessed the cockpit of a Delta Shuttle passenger jetliner, demanding that it return to the airport gate to pick up a producer who could have taken the next flight in less than 30 minutes. 'I tried to tell her that it was against Federal regulations for her even to have her cell phone on, and that she had to go back to her seat' said flight attendant Gore Supporter, 'but she just wouldn't take no for an answer. She was insistent that we go back to the gate and pick up her assistant. I was really afraid. She was out of control. We really need more air marshalls to prevent this sort of thing.' Ironically, Washington, DC is one of the cities from which hijackers departed on September 11, 2001, and special security measures have been in place at National Airport ever since; indeed, National was the last airport to reopen following September 11, because of security concerns. 'This just shows what a poor job the Bush Administration has done managing the TSA,' said Senator Charles Schumer. Echoed Senator Ted Kennedy, 'You see once again what a bunch of self-important rich people Republicans are. They're out of touch and really don't get it. I wouldn't be surprised if the investigation shows that ABCD had a few mid-afternoon Martinis before getting on the plane.' If convicted of this Federal offense, ABCD faces a sentence of 10 years in jail and a $100,000 fine. I'm Katie Couric. Bob?"

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 33):
He said that one cell phone was interfering with the navigational instruments and thus we couldn't take off.

This is up there with the "Our cell phone detector indicates that one of you still has their cell phone on, and we can't move until you turn it off." It's crap, designed to motivate people to turn the things off.

Boeing Nut

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):

The reason why people like her get away with this kind of crap is because of attitudes like yours.

Let's get one thing straight bub, if Couric was in line with milk and cut in front of me just because she is she, I would tell her what she can do with that milk and how far.  talktothehand  The thing you obviously don't see here is that the airline business is, duh, based on service. You give bad service, especially to someone of high profile such as Couric, like it or not, millions are going to hear about it, I guarantee it. Not the kind of publicity an airline is looking for.

If you are running a business based on service and you have that kind of attitude, you'll be filling chapter 13 before you know what hit you.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):
Next time you are on the shuttle, why not try an experiment. Why not get up and run to the front of the aircraft and demand to talk to the pilot. See what that gets you, and report back to us.

See reply #19.

Quoting Mymiles2go (Reply 29):
Funny how hyprocritical everyone is.

checkmark 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

LPLAspotter

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 32):
That's a no brainer.

How can that be a no brainer. Instead of insulting me why don't you state the reasons for agreeing with me.
LPLAspotter

atmx2000

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 3):
And you wonder why a lot of Hollywood celebrities have decided to buy their own planes and/or buy into fractional share plane ownership programs....

And then we wonder why those same celebrities are proclaiming the perils of global warming.

I would prefer it if all celebrities were required to drive ... at 55mph wherever they go.  Smile
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

TPASXM787

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting LPLAspotter (Reply 36):
How can that be a no brainer. Instead of insulting me why don't you state the reasons for agreeing with me.
LPLAspotter

that's not an insult...just a widely used expression in the US...like "no kidding"
This is the Last Stop.

avconsultant

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 11):
Celebrities are only as "above" us as we make them.

Very true

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 12):
She then ran twoards the flight deck -- what could/should have been taken as a hostile action- especially in DC- and was able to not only gain access to the flight deck but talk the captain into returning to the gate?

Where was the Air Marshall? Can you imagine the story - Katie was capped trying to enter the cockpit.

Quoting LPLAspotter (Reply 14):
Katie Couric has been stated by people in the industry as being one of the biggest premaddonas in the new business. Doesn't surprise me then for what she did.

I read anarticle of on the tiff between here and Bryant Gumble years back. He responded to her accusation that he's an a$$hole. He said, he has teh same personal assistant for 20 yrs where she went through 7 in 5 yrs.

I'm still waiting for my flight to end up at the wrong airport or crashing into a large mountain for "interfering with the navigational equipment", but have yet to do so. Bummer.

HA HA!!! One day Otto one day, if it's my flight, I'll know - Otto was on my flight and he killed us!!! Damn that guy!!

Jamake1

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 am

It is so easy to judge a situation outside the context of it. The flight attendant, rather than being "studpidly starstruck" probably excercised situational awareness, reasoned that the aircraft was still sitting at gate, made a call to the cockpit informing him (or her) that Ms. Kourac was requesting that the jetway be brought back to the A/C, who then gave permission for the cockpit door to be opened, at which point, the captain reasoned that bringing the jetway back would cause little, if any delay. Keep in mind, this story was aired in a tabloid NY newspaper. IMHO, kudos to Delta for making the right decision under the circumstances at hand.
Come fly the sun.

B777-700

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting Touchdown777 (Reply 23):
Hopefully ... to loose her job at best.

Gee, that's a nice thought huh? Always good to wish that on people when you don't know the circumstances.

Only the pilots can unlock the door.

Quoting Touchdown777 (Reply 23):
T7, who never watches CBS and who doesn't consider CBS a valid news source anymore.

Not any less valid than...I dunno...FOX news?  Wink

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 25):
This was on American Worst and I just dont fly them.

With that attitude...you're gonna run out of airlines soon.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 34):
Right. You *called* the captain and explained the situation and he took it from there. Couric demanded and received *access to the cockpit* -- at DCA no less -- and now her idiot reps are saying she "received permission" from the flight attendant to enter the cockpit? Riiiiiiight.

Again, only the pilots can unlock the cockpit. It was their decision.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 34):
If, say, Tom Delay or Karl Rove or Newt Gingrich or Ann Coulter had done this, the media would be calling for their head and demanding an investigation as to whether they were "guilty" of the "felony" of "interfering with a flight crew", like, say, this imaginary story:

yeah yeah yeah...and if it was John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, or Al Franken, you'd be saying the same thing...we all know the story...  Yeah sure

Look the bottomline here is...Katie, in her actions, put Delta and the flight crew in a no win situation. If they do what she asks, they violate FAA rules, possibly breach security, and delay the flight. If they tell her no, they can get some serious bad media attention, which they don't need right now.

It just sucks all around.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

CRJ 900

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 am

hmmm, two things, #1) door closed ACARS show's the a/c as out (that means flt has left the gate) FLT DEPARTED #2) Correct me if I am wrong but why are the Americans are so accommodating to technology?...main cabin door closed, cell phones and all portable electronic devices turned off and stowed, headsets removed. WHY oh WHY DELTA allows passengers to use their phone up to take off and just after clearing the active runway on landing. Passengers attention are supposed to be directed towards safety demos (regardless of how many times they've heard them) How on earth do u hear a safety demo when you have your IPOD on? Or you are carrying on a conversation on the phone? Thank god in Canada, we may be "behind the times" but cell phones off, including your "crackberry", headsets removed, IPODS off. PERIOD. I have made more than one announcement on my flights reminding our passengers that although we are flying to/from Canada to the US, we follow Canadian rules on our aircraft which means you turn your phones off and anything else the FAs tell you to do REGARDLESS of what DELTA, UNITED or any American company lets you do on their airplanes. Want to do those things?, fly DELTA.

zippyjet

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:16 am

As this thread starter stated; if it was your average Joe or Jane, they would become a jailhouse celebrity. On a positive note; it seems, at least the way this thread was worded that the princess of the nightly news at least was civil. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

Touchdown777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 41):
Gee, that's a nice thought huh? Always good to wish that on people when you don't know the circumstances.

Only the pilots can unlock the door.

What justifies a person, less alone a f/a, who use their social status to demand to speak to the captain (hence, possibly jeopardizing the secuity less alone the sanity of other pax) to re-gate the plane after taxi because someone was left at the gate? Why should a person justify making other pax wait for a personal friend or colleague or both to potentially make others late in missing their connecting flights? The only reason a plane should have to come back should be for an a/c mechanical issue or for a security reason, not some passenger's request.

They miss a flight - they have to take a later one. Everyone of us most likely did it one time or another. I know I've had to.

T7, who gets all of his well-balanced news from well informed A.netters and amongst other sources than television.
Made in the USA

IceTitan447

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:39 am

Not in the case with UAL and the fat actress Monique, she didn't get any help, sista was told to step Smile

B777-700

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Touchdown777 (Reply 44):
What justifies a person, less alone a f/a, who use their social status to demand to speak to the captain (hence, possibly jeopardizing the secuity less alone the sanity of other pax) to re-gate the plane after taxi because someone was left at the gate? Why should a person justify making other pax wait for a personal friend or colleague or both to potentially make others late in missing their connecting flights? The only reason a plane should have to come back should be for an a/c mechanical issue or for a security reason, not some passenger's request.

The captain is in command. The captain unlocks the door. The captain makes the decision to go back to the gate.

This is not rocket science. The captain can do it if s/he wants to.

T7, who gets all of his well-balanced news from well informed A.netters and amongst other sources than television.

And I'm sure listening to the 90% BS on these forums does wonders for your credibility.  Yeah sure
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

LPLAspotter

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 38):
that's not an insult...just a widely used expression in the US...like "no kidding"

Then I stand corrected. I apologize.
LPLAspotter

halls120

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 35):
Let's get one thing straight bub, if Couric was in line with milk and cut in front of me just because she is she, I would tell her what she can do with that milk and how far. The thing you obviously don't see here is that the airline business is, duh, based on service. You give bad service, especially to someone of high profile such as Couric, like it or not, millions are going to hear about it, I guarantee it. Not the kind of publicity an airline is looking for.

First of all, I'm not your "bub."

Once the door is shut, and everyone has been told to stay in their seat and turn the cell phones off, that's what should happen. If high and mighty Katie Couric wants to make a request, let her her push the call button like everyone else.

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 41):
Look the bottomline here is...Katie, in her actions, put Delta and the flight crew in a no win situation. If they do what she asks, they violate FAA rules, possibly breach security, and delay the flight. If they tell her no, they can get some serious bad media attention, which they don't need right now.

And I'll bet the Imperial Ms. Couric didn't once consider how she might be putting the flight crew in a tough situation. After all, she is KATIE COURIC, and the rules don't apply to her.

checkmark 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Touchdown777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 46):
The captain makes the decision to go back to the gate

If I were the captain of that flight, I would put the other pax needs (i.e., connections, safety, security) first and would have continued down the taxi way. It's also not rocket science to say that you have to wait in line just like everyone else does. End of story.

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 46):
And I'm sure listening to the 90% BS on these forums does wonders for your credibility.

Yes, and does your statement explain your credibility for you participating in the discussions on these forums?
 Big grin

T7
Made in the USA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos