Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

speedbird777
Topic Author

Boeing's Answer To A3XX?

Sun Jun 25, 2000 7:57 am

The A3XX is causing quite a stir over here in Europe! The question aviation enthusiasts over here are asking is - What is Boeing's answer to the A3XX?

RE: Boeing's Answer To A3XX?

Sun Jun 25, 2000 8:37 am

Ahhhh, We dont need an aircraft that big!!! The 747-400, and 777-300 are fine!!! The A-3XX is way ahead of its time!!!

Sun Jun 25, 2000 11:15 am

To counter the A3XX,Boeing is launching the 747X to start competition.

Gundu

Sun Jun 25, 2000 11:31 am

Some people said that Boeing not need design strectch version of 747 but I disagreed with them cuz Boeing need one SUPERJUMBO jet because 747-400 seem like a jumbo jet that all... Airbus already launch a SuperJumbo jet, and Boeing wanna challenge with their rival! If Boeing design 747-500, it is bigger than a3xx but A3XX still edge 747-500 cuz more seats that all!! So A3XX had a bit of edge over Boeing but I think Boeing had something to be surpise in someday !!

Iflewrepublic

RE: United_RULZ

Sun Jun 25, 2000 1:38 pm

United_RULZ,

For future reference I would suggest you read your posting out loud before you hit the post button. I can't understand a word you said. Then again, you have to put together a cohesive sentence in order for people to understand you.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

sv11

RE: United_RULZ

Sun Jun 25, 2000 3:34 pm

Boeing's response will be upgraded 747s, unless Bill Gates donates about $20 billion, which is probably what a new superjumbo will cost to develop. Anyway now would be a good time to update the 747-400 since it has been around for 12 years and its sales are really slow right now. Boeing can't afford to spend $20 billion on a new design unless the market exists for sure. They would be better off saving the money and using it on a 737 replacement in another 10 or so years, where a big market exists.

sv11

Sun Jun 25, 2000 3:34 pm

I agree with what Iflewrepublic said.
Remember that we aren't your home boys so we can't understand your street slang... Also when you arive at school stay awake especially during English Class!!!

L-188

Sun Jun 25, 2000 6:13 pm

Why immediatly design a new airplane....Why not wait untill the A-3xx design is firmed up and metal is cut for it. That way Boeing can build around the Airbuses weakpoints.

That is kind of what Airbus did with the 737/A320 and Boeing did with the 777/A-340
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

speedbird777
Topic Author

RE: Iflewrepublic

Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:52 am

A message for Iflewrepublic.
At the risk of sounding rude, which as an Englishman I have no desire to be, I am rather bewildered by your contribution. You seem to be the only one who has difficulty in understanding my question. May I advise you to read a little more slowly and carefully in future. I am sure the meaning will come to you eventually, thus avoiding the need for the silly comments you have written. Let us stick to aviation!

speedbird777
Topic Author

RE: I_4Got_My_Name

Mon Jun 26, 2000 2:00 am

Thank you for your comments regarding my question. May I suggest that you remember the importance of politeness when posting your contributions? It costs us nothing and helps to create a civilised environment on this web site. Perhaps you would care to read the contributions of the others who took the time to answer my question. That might help to clarify matters for you.

sabenapilot

Speedbird777 & Iflewrepublic

Mon Jun 26, 2000 3:09 am

I hope the reaction of Boeing to the A3XX will not be as unconsidered as the one of "Iflewrepublic" to your post...

speedbird777
Topic Author

RE: Sabenapilot

Wed Jun 28, 2000 9:21 am

Many thanks for your post. It is much appreciated. Do you ever fly into Manchester?

Navion

Answer Is Simple

Wed Jun 28, 2000 9:33 am

There is one factor that would cause Boeing to build an all new large aircraft. $12-$14 Billion. Period. Especially if one third of it is direct subsidies. Boeing can easily build an A3XX competitor, as could McDonnell Douglas before their absorption. All that matters is money. It's like the rich kid whose dad gives him a lot of money to build a great competition go kart, compared to the regular kid who has to make his own money and therefore doesn't have such a nice kart. Money makes the world go round so for the playing field to be level, the U.S. government would need to guarantee $4-$5 Billion to Boeing for the express purpose of building a NLA (787? 797?). It's that simple. 1/3 of the costs being defrayed makes the project more economically viable.

cylw

RE: What Boeing Says It Will Do:

Wed Jun 28, 2000 11:57 am

Here is a quote from the Associated Press:

The $12 billion A3XX project presents a major challenge to Seattle-based Boeing, which has said there is no market for such a large plane and has decided to modernize its trustworthy 747 family of planes rather than build its own megaseater.

dnalor

Wed Jun 28, 2000 12:26 pm

Speedbird777

If you take the time to carefully re read the first line of Iflewrepublic's reply, you'll clearly see it's directed at United_RULZ difficult to decipher post....

Its also very clear to me that I _4Got_My_Name did his homework, checked out United_RULZ info page and added to Iflewrepublic's comments!

Both comments were aimed at being helpful to United_RULZ albeit tongue in cheek (which I thought were damm funny).

Speedbird777 I'm sure your reaction was merely an oversight ! ? !

cheers

dnalor

Wed Jun 28, 2000 12:34 pm

And Ditto to Sabenapilot

Please read carefully who the response was directed at.  

Lantern88

Wed Jun 28, 2000 1:32 pm

Why doesn't Boeing build a triple-decker version of the 747?

Just stretch out the 747 to the 80 meter limit, add a full second deck and a partial 3rd deck to maintain the traditional 747 look! Then they can name it 747XXL
As far as financial backing… just ask Uncle Sam and Uncle Bill (Gates) to do some real independent research in the feasibility of such project and then fork out the bucks!

What do you guys think ?

P.S. Ins't there an 80m limit on most airports?

desertjets

Wed Jun 28, 2000 4:18 pm

I think the 747X project is the wisest choice for Boeing. It is quite a risk for Airbus to invest that sum of money on an aircraft where the market isn't completely certain. Though after Farnborough we may actually know how many orders they might actually have. It will be interesting to see, and if it is successful than kudos to Airbus for seeing the potential that Boeing didn't. And if it does then maybe Boeing might start their own programme. It'll be interesting to watch this industry over the next 10 years for sure.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

na

Wed Jun 28, 2000 4:52 pm

I agree with L-188 and DesertJets.

I bet that Boeing will not be so stupid to launch an allnew A3XX-competitor ´til the European whale is out for 2 or 3 years to see how the market reacts and what weakpoints it possibly has.
The 747X is a very clever answer for the next 10 years. It´ll save Boeing customers that would otherwise go to Airbus, it´s a perfect showcase for the American company to show how good their classic design really is, how far it can be developed. I´m more on Boeings side when it comes to predict whether there is a (lucrative) market for two Superjumbos or not - but only until around 2008! After that (and that means talking about the real big business) Airbus´ prophets will be the winners. But then also is the time when Boeings real 747X-answer will take shape.

Lets hope they lauch the 747X already at Farnborough.

Wed Jun 28, 2000 5:06 pm

In two to three years they will launch the 747-500/600. Then as the market trully demands a superjumbo they will simply streach the upperdeck.

There is absolutely no nead for a superjumbo for another 10/15 years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos