Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Flight Attendants Rotate?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:01 am

I was recently on a flight on WN, and at the end of the flight right before the seat belt light went off one of the flight attendants came on and said "flight attendants rotate." What is the purpose of this, and what were they doing?

Thanks!

Scaredflyer21

lufthansi

RE: Flight Attendants Rotate?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:04 am

Maybe to rotate the slide-handles to disarmed (to prevent slide blow-ups). Or the FAs should really "rotate" (work). Maybe to open the door, say goodbye whatever.
Life starts at take-off!

aa757first

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:16 am

I assume it means that it was to tell flight attendants to arm/disarm the doors. It's a weird command and I wonder if it was just made up on the spot by that particular flight attendant.

Anyway, in case you don't know what arming and disarming is, its the process of activating or de-activating the emergency slides prior to flight and after flight.

There always has to be a way out of the aircraft, so the FAA requires that doors be armed before the aircraft begins ground movement. The lead flight attendant usually says something like "Flight attendants, arm your doors and cross-check." They place the metal girt bars into the floor and now, when opened, the slides will deploy and inflate.

The opposite occurs after the aircraft reachs the gate, right before the seatbelt sign goes off.

Most doors are different. Usually its just a metal bar that is fitted into brackets in the floor.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Samuel Cooper

On the B757, the handle is moved to "Armed" or "Disarmed". That red strap is put over the window so catering, mechanics, gate agents, etc don't open the door when its armed, causing it to deploy. Usually when an aircraft has a handle instead of a regular bar, it means that it will disarm automatically when opened from the outside.

http://filexoom.com/files/3162/100_0017.AVI

This is a video of how to disarm a Boeing 767 door. (Plays in Windows Media Player, 8.5 MB).

AAndrew

WeAreUnited

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 2):
Usually its just a metal bar that is fitted into brackets in the floor.

Most planes aren't like that anymore.

737's, MD-80/MD-90 series, and the B717 all have metal girt bars that go into floor brackets.

Every other plane I can think of.... A320 series, 747, 757, 767, 777, DC-10, EMB-190...... all have levers of some sort to arm and disarm the doors.

Flight Attendants would MUCH rather have NO metal girt bars of any sort- they get pretty nasty as I'm sure you can imagine.

Also- the flag across the window is an option per airline. Well- I'm sure it's the FAA inspector assigned to that airline who makes the choice- but it's definitley not an FAA mandate.

lemonkitty

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:34 pm

Hmmmmm, sure it was not one of the pilots? Did you actually SEE one of the F/A's make the PA?
I met my wife on Airliners.Net!!!!

FlyGuyClt

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 2):
On the B757, the handle is moved to "Armed" or "Disarmed".

Actually in the 757 it is. "Engage" and "Detach" on the arming lever.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

pecoua

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:51 am

On the 737s some airlines require the FA to "crack" the door open to alert the ground folks that the 737 door is disarmed...I am assuming WN does this and this particular FA said "rotate" to remind the aft FAs to "crack" their doors. Just my thought... Smile

FL1TPA

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:19 am

Here at FL, the 717s have the girt bars we unclip from the floor brackets and place into the hooks on the slide pack. We then crack the L1 and R1 doors to signal jetway operators and catering personnel doors are ready to be opened.

The 737 is done identically. The "rotate" command is most likely WN's way of letting the back F/A know to crack thier door for catering.

FL1TPA
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue."

WeAreUnited

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting FlyGuyClt (Reply 5):
Actually in the 757 it is. "Engage" and "Detach" on the arming lever.

Safe Flying

On United's 757's- It's Armed/Disarmed.

Quoting Pecoua (Reply 6):
On the 737s some airlines require the FA to "crack" the door open to alert the ground folks that the 737 door is disarmed...I am assuming WN does this and this particular FA said "rotate" to remind the aft FAs to "crack" their doors. Just my thought...

United you crack all 4 737 doors. On Alaska- You DO NOT crack after you disarm. You simply wait for the knock from the CSA and then you, the FA, opens the door.

[Edited 2006-08-09 00:16:33]

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:14 pm

LemonKitty,

Yes, I actually happened to see the FA make the announcement. She was standing directly in front of the flight deck door and seemed to be peering down the aisle to the back of the plane. Thanks for the reply!

Scaredflyer21

WNCrew

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:54 pm

"Flight Attendants Rotate" is definately NOT a WN PA.....so who knows WHAT she meant.

When pushing back we say either,
"Flight Attendants Prepare Doors for Departure" or
"Flight Attendants Prepare Doors for Pushback"

Upon Block-In we say,
"Flight Attendants Prepare Doors for Arrival"

We only crack certain doors open at certain stations depending upon if it's a full provisioning city or not. The Forward Entry Door (1L) is cracke donce the jetway is pulled up to the plane.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos