Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkeye

RE: Plot To Blow Up Aircraft Inflight Foiled

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:43 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 194):
McVeigh

A good Muslim was he?

Thats my point - profiling does not just target muslims. It targets males 18 to 40 travelling alone.
Bring out the gimp

viv

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:43 pm

Quoting Chksix (Reply 198):
mean they all share the belief that the western world has to be destroyed by all means necessary

This is complete nonsense. It says more about the poster than about people of the Muslim faith.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

viv

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Quoting ZKEYE (Reply 200):
hats my point - profiling does not just target muslims. It targets males 18 to 40 travelling alone.

Fair enough. No problem with that kind of profiling.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

GDC2006

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 199):
Spoke to AA in US/UK and they claim my flight is leaving tommorrow

Guess 1 day delay isn't the worst news in the world, obviously that may change though. £700!!! OUCH! (Cheaper than a funeral though - black humour sorry!)

Just been called into work on my two week leave, obviously I am going in the talk is the office will be open till midnight tonight, but thats not confirmed.

So if you get Gordon on the phone at BA later today, be nice to me!

GC
Trust a woman? How can you trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die?

TBCITDG

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:47 pm

It really astounds me how ignorant, sell fish some A netters are around here!

We have a MAJOR terrorist plot at hand ready to blow up a number of planes, and all they care about is their own hand luggage!

Don't travel !

GDC2006

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 204):
sell fish some A netters are around here!

Remember though, a lot of comments are immediate reactionism (is that a word?) obviously once most people realise the severity of the situation they are more receptive to what is necessary.

GC
Trust a woman? How can you trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die?

jumbo747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:51 pm

This just in. According to BBC no inflight flites to LHR which r not in the air only cause of congestion at LHR. Whats up with NZ 2 flight departing at 9.45 p.m NZ Local time from AKL.

No news on AKL Airport website niether on NZ site as well. Any body please what is going on here. Are they only flying to LAX only? But no news mentioned on any website.

MYT332

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Quoting GDC2006 (Reply 203):
So if you get Gordon on the phone at BA later today, be nice to me!

Ahh, you're dans mate who I met in Didsbury! Say hello to him and tell him not to moan too much!
One Life, Live it.

EXAAUADL

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 118):
6 planes were going to be a target.. not the 20 they said earlier!

it was faux what can you expect.

all flights from Tel Aviv have also been cancelled.

all media sources were initially reporting 20, not just Fox. Your hate is rather transparent

linco22

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Geez lets not go down this road. Its simple fact - If someone wants to commit a terrorist act they do it on their own belief.

Regards
Colin

ajd1992

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:00 pm

Quoting Samair (Reply 163):
They should catogerise the passengers into high risk and low risk and have more stringent checks on the high risk

Basically middle-eastern people then? Just because somebody has dark skin and isn't atheist, the airports cannot discriminate. Would my friend, who is half Indian be classed as high risk? Would my science teacher be classed as high risk, as she is middle-eastern? Police/airport authorities cannot make the assumption that because you are muslim, look middle-eastern that you must be a terrorist. You basically mean Arabic muslims with dark skin. It's called racism.

ANother

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:00 pm

Quoting Jumbo747 (Reply 206):
This just in. According to BBC no inflight flites to LHR which r not in the air only cause of congestion at LHR. Whats up with NZ 2 flight departing at 9.45 p.m NZ Local time from AKL.

No news on AKL Airport website niether on NZ site as well. Any body please what is going on here. Are they only flying to LAX only? But no news mentioned on any website.

I imagine that NZ believes that LHR will open again before tonights NZ2 is due to arrive there. That would be a good assumption IMHO.

N1120A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 33):
And all you had to do to get your metal cutlery is live under Chinese communist totalitarism

You obviously have no idea about Hong Kong

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 44):
given the speed at which high speed trains operate why is there absolutely no security on them

Eurostar has security checks, at least at Waterloo and Gare du Nord.

Quoting Piff (Reply 151):
A terrorist, if determined enough, will get around any security measures. But making things more difficult will help to deter them.

I agree with the first part, but not the second. Terrorists will get around anything. Further, if you really end up making people travel completely naked with no luggage whatsoever, they will find another way. You aren't going to deter someone from doing something if they really want to do it, and someone who is going on a plane to blow it up certainly isn't going to lose their ideological gumption because they can't take stuff on a plane.

Quoting BCal DC10 (Reply 152):
If these objects are in the hold, this can't happen....

Sure it can. Take a look at Lockerbie.

Quoting ZKEYE (Reply 192):
Anyway if you have nothing to hide what is the problem with some extra scrutiny?

Because you start violating Human, let alone civil, rights.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

N1120A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:06 pm

BTW, here is a link to the TSA website, which includes the idiotic ban on toilettries. I guess I have to shove my toothpaste in the bag.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

zkeye

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 212):
Because you start violating Human, let alone civil, rights.

That’s the crux of it - whose rights are more important? The potential victims or the profiled people who get held up in security? I know what I value more. I am not, and have never, said that only Muslims should be the target of profiling by the way. You cannot profile on religion as skin colour does not indicate what your religion is - in the same way religion does not indicate what your beliefs are.
Bring out the gimp

bhxdtw

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:12 pm

isnt the name of this forum 'Civil Av' ??

didnt think it was called 'Lets all debate religeous issues connected to Civil Av'

Please guys.... we all have our opinions on Muslim/christian issues but thats a little better suited to non-av... we're all just gonna get het up otherwise...

Joe

Gary2880

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 208):
all media sources were initially reporting 20, not just Fox. Your hate is rather transparent

i never heard anything about 20 at any point. their unfair, unbalanced and general lies are also rather transparent. which is why i would trust a goldfish for my information before i believe anything faux ''news'' says.

as for hating them

yes 

as i would for any organization dumb enough to give Ann Coulter air time..

but thats for another discussion.
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

ANother

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 215):

didnt think it was called 'Lets all debate religeous issues connected to Civil Av'

Please guys.... we all have our opinions on Muslim/christian issues but thats a little better suited to non-av... we're all just gonna get het up otherwise...

checkmark 

Ari

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:17 pm

UA, CO and AA Apparently were the airlines targeted on outbound flights today

aRi

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:17 pm

The threats were apparently against UA, AA and CO
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Ruirui

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting Alphonze (Reply 3):
Insanity. Utter, utter insanity. The day they tell me I must check my laptop and my book is the day I turn around from the check-in desk and go back home. With every passing day I am increasingly grateful that I have left the UK behind. Hurrah for Hong Kong, where one can still get metal cutlery airside (if one asks nicely).

Yes...its such a great place Hong Kong...... it being the only airport in the world including the USA where they refused to let me on board with my diabetic equipment..insulin pen for injection. It does not matter to these sane people that a corpse may arrive at the other end. Even today at all British airports and under current circumstances I can officially take on board my insulin. Sorry Alphonze ...not so sane in my opinion. I can well do without my lap top, blackberry, ipod, book, newspaper, spare briefs ..you name it, Ill go without it...I'll even go nude if I had to, but not without my insulin...it keeps me alive. Its bad enough being threatened by insane fanatics, but petty little despots, who treated me like dirt and who want to take away my insulin I can well do without. Shame on your great HK, for its hard enough being a diabetic without having to deal with ignorance.

How many other diabetics have had this experience.

Humberside

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:23 pm

Latest reports say AA, CO, UA where to have been targeted
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

zkeye

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 215):

Joe

Fair enough -signing out for the night. I will take it to non-av.
Bring out the gimp

cusaeng

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 80):
August 10th can't be a good day for BA. It was this date last year that there was similar disruption following the Gate Gourmet walkout.

yeah something happens every year !!!!!
I wanna fly but they wont let me :( grr

GDC2006

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Just received a random email from an a.net member whom I have never spoken too wishing me good luck and to stay safe at Heathrow.

As it happens I work in a call centre in Manchester but what better way to restore my faith in humanity.

Thank you to the sender, obviously I have replied directly to them more appropriately.

Take care

GC

N1120A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting ZKEYE (Reply 214):
That’s the crux of it - whose rights are more important? The potential victims or the profiled people who get held up in security? I know what I value more. I am not, and have never, said that only Muslims should be the target of profiling by the way. You cannot profile on religion as skin colour does not indicate what your religion is - in the same way religion does not indicate what your beliefs are.

The potential victims ARE the people who get held up in security. Get it now?

planesarecool
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Ari (Reply 218):
UA, CO and AA Apparently were the airlines targeted on outbound flights today

Well i for one am extremely thankful that the plot was foiled then, as my friend is flying AA today across to Dallas. That's the good news, the bad news being that her flight has been delayed and she is probably going to miss her connection to SAN.

Ari

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 226):
Well i for one am extremely thankful that the plot was foiled then, as my friend is flying AA today across to Dallas. That's the good news, the bad news being that her flight has been delayed and she is probably going to miss her connection to SAN.

I hope your friend gets to her destination safely and untroubled.

aRi

soups

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:37 pm

LGW is now closed source BBC
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:38 pm

Marvellous. Let's all have a hysterical overreaction, shall we ? This would seem to imply that all the additional pain-in-the-ass security put in place since 9/11 has in fact been a complete waste of time, and now they make it worse ! What's next ? We all get loaded on pallets wearing orange jumpsuits with bags over our head and our wrists tied with cable ties ? Ridiculous.

I was SUPPOSED to be going to the MAN tomorrow (from SEL) - I've had to change my booking to go straight back to NCE. I am F***ING ANNOYED !!!
And I don't want to hear "Oh well it's better than getting blown up" and such rubbish. I am not a terrorist, and I am being SERIOUSLY INCONVENIENCED !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

N1120A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 229):
And I don't want to hear "Oh well it's better than getting blown up" and such rubbish. I am not a terrorist, and I am being SERIOUSLY INCONVENIENCED !

Absolutely agree, though at least you get to eat in Nice and not bad food from the Manchester Airport Pub.

sk909

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):
That would make an interesting flight!
Wink Big grin

Yes, well depending on who is on board.  Smile And what u look for...  Smile
Life's for Living!

MYT332

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 230):
Absolutely agree, though at least you get to eat in Nice and not bad food from the Manchester Airport Pub.

It's speciality food, leave it alone!
One Life, Live it.

workhorse

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 pm

Thats my point - profiling does not just target muslims. It targets males 18 to 40 travelling alone.

Russian airplane bombings in 2004 were committed by women.

bh4007

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:46 pm

JUST HEARD ON BBC (it might have been mentioned - havent had time to read whole thread) They have someone from flight international in the studio.

**THE AIRLINES THAT THE BBC SAY ***MIGHT*** BE TARGETED ARE:
CONTINENTAL
AMERICAN
UNITED

Not sure whether this is new: All flights from/to GATWICK/HEATHROW CANCELLED
MANCHESTER EXPECTED TO FOLLOW + BIRMINGHAM (RAIDS IN LONDON/BIRMINGHAM) + the handluggage thing.

BASICALLY, IN THE NEXT HOURS ALL FLIGHTS FROM/TO UK WILL BE CANCELLED.

3 oclock might see things resume - not sure........

I recommend you tune in.......

This is probably the first of many threat in the UK and US to come. Lets just hope that none of them materialise.

bh4007

planesarecool
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:48 pm

It's only easyJet flights from Gatwick that have been cancelled on a whole.

Quoting Ari (Reply 227):
I hope your friend gets to her destination safely and untroubled.

Thank you very much, so do I!  Smile

voodoo

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Well it will be interesting to see how much of a threat these arrested suspects really were or if they were a bunch of bozos who were trying (or just yakkin off at the mouth) for an [inept] shoe bombing type copy cat `plan'. The tidbit about this having been `known about' for a month by the British govt. was interesting. Why then were people still getting on planes with liquids for that month?? I know I did! (Evian water...thats what it said on the label, honest guv)
Without getting off the airliner/aviation topic, I get a whiff of political agenda fulfillment here with some local Al-Quaeeda wannabe stooges providing the perfect recipe.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

ltbewr

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:49 pm

While the terrorists have been at least been stopped from doing what could have been a horrible plot - the terrorists are winning. There may also be political issues here too, but this part of the forum isn't the place for this.

This is affecting flights all over the world, and what is next? What is to stop putting in a sophicated bomb in check in luggage? Or a bomb swallowed by a person like is done with smuggling drugs? It may come to the day that all airlines will have to have ElAl style security, and the cost of a ticket even to go on a short flight go up $50-100. Even then, terrorists can be ANYBODY. Meantime everybody is screwed and with the horrible delays and hassles at airports today, it will have horrible short term affects on air flights, compounding the many other problems including the huge rise in oil prices.

N1120A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:51 pm

That is still discrimination, this time based on sex. Further, I fly so much that I am a STAR Gold and I have not and will never blow up an airplane. If you are going to "profile" (persecute) me, then I am going to tell you you are wrong to do so.

BCal Dc10

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:57 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 212):
Sure it can. Take a look at Lockerbie.

of course - that was some sort of barometric device planted in a suitcase I think, independent of a passenger activating it. Once the plane got to x thousand feet, it blew.

My point here is that the feeling is that these attacks were to be caused by pax interacting to cause an explosion - 2 pax combining liquids, on their own relatively harmless, to create an explosion. You can't do this in the hold if the 2 liquids are packed in separate containers. Hence the handluggage/liquid restrictions in place atm.

I was only referring to it in the context of what is being speculated on in the news....

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:58 pm

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

joffie

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:59 pm

BAA Home Important Message
10th August 2006 10:32

Due to the heightened security at UK airports, the Heathrow Airport website is currently experiencing a high level of people visiting the site for information.

The airport itself is experiencing severe disruption to its operation. Check-in and hand search processes across all four terminals is severely affected, and this will continue throughout the day. We would ask passengers not to come to the airport today unless absolutely necessary. We would also advise those passengers who must travel today to consider using public transport and be prepared for long delays as a result of these measures.

In brief: Hand baggage restrictions are in place; Passengers will be handsearched; Footwear and all items (including pushcairs and walking aids) must be x-ray screened; Liquids will be removed from the passenger.

We apologise for any inconvenience and hope to resume access to the website as soon as possible.

Visit heathrowairport.com

More information
Accessibility Statement Privacy Statement Terms & Conditions © BAA plc 2005

drinkstrolley

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 175):
This is f****d up. Im supposed to be flying LHR-LAX-MEL tommorrow and balls am i not taking any hand luggage. No way am i checking £12,000 worth of camera gear in plus other items. No way.

And exactly what do you intend doing about it?

Vanguard

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:01 pm

Lots of talk about 'blowing the plane up'.... but given that the authorities are interested in liquids, could they be looking for some chemical like Sarin? i.e. poison everyone on board and watch the planes come down?

clipperhawaii

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting ZKEYE (Reply 192):
Profiling does not mean its only arabs or muslims that get extra scrutiny. It a good thing for everyone. Anyway if you have nothing to hide what is the problem with some extra scrutiny?

The profile is and can be large.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 229):
I was SUPPOSED to be going to the MAN tomorrow (from SEL) - I've had to change my booking to go straight back to NCE. I am F***ING ANNOYED !!!

Inconvenienced but safe. Would you like an airline issued tissue? Or would you rather blame the specific types of people that have caused this calamity since September 11. Direct your anger there.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Gman94

One thing that is annoying me is the fact they have banned anyone taking drinks on to a flight. Sorry but I'm going to Australia soon there is no way I'm not taking a couple of bottles of water with me for the flight, the airline's never give out enough drinks especially on long haul flights. Also if babies milk can be taste tested in front of security officials then the same should apply to a bottle of evian.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

bh4007

THE SECURITY LEVEL IS CRITICAL - THEY SAY THAT IT COULD STILL HAPPEN!!

"virgin trains will accept any passengers with a london-manchester air ticket" - BBC

For passengers/passengers-to-be the overwhelming advice is:
CONTACT YOUR AIRLINE

(home sec JOHN REID making statement now [12:10 GMT])

[Edited 2006-08-10 13:06:16]

[Edited 2006-08-10 13:10:45]

N1120A

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting BCal DC10 (Reply 239):
My point here is that the feeling is that these attacks were to be caused by pax interacting to cause an explosion - 2 pax combining liquids, on their own relatively harmless, to create an explosion. You can't do this in the hold if the 2 liquids are packed in separate containers. Hence the handluggage/liquid restrictions in place atm.

Again, if they could do it for non-diabilical purposes in a move like Die Hard 3, there is no reason they can't make an independantly mixing volitile substance now.

A320ajm

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:08 pm

I am travelling in a BMI baby flight from Durham Tees Valley Airport 2morrow to Alicante. Does anybody have any infromation about this airline, or the airports involved. I cannot find the offical Alicante Airport website. Does anybody have that?

Thanks
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

Horus

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:10 pm

Please continue the discussion here:
Plot To Blow Up Aircraft Inflight Foiled [Part 2] (by Singapore_Air Aug 10 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Horus
Forum Moderator
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos