Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N353SK
Topic Author

Rumor: LHR Not Allowing Any Nonrevs

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:14 pm

A woman I work with is planning a trip to greece, via nonrevving. She went to our pass bureau today and was told that at this time LHR is not accepting any nonrev passengers. Is there any merit to this rumor?

BAxMAN

RE: Rumor: LHR Not Allowing Any Nonrevs

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:22 pm

There is no staff travel on BA out of LHR 'until further notice.' I don't know what the other airlines' current policies are.

But is this really the best time to be non-revving? The bump-o-meter will be going haywire with the current backlogs at LHR.
Mild green Fairy liquid

slvrblt

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:43 pm

At AA, we are still allowing nonrev travel, we have even gotten out some BA employees on our flights.
..everything works out in the end.

B747-4U3

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:03 pm

I spoke with someone at BA who said that Staff Travel was still running as usual on most flights (I think certain European and US flights Staff Travel was suspended).

I am a little concerned as I am non-revving to HK next week.

aussiestu

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Today there is still no staff travel with BA to any destination from LHR. Staff TRavel from LGW is acceptable. With a clear backlog of passengers and flight cancellations woud you really want to be at LHR at the moment  Sad

trekster

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:38 pm

I would not non rev anywhere in the LON area at the moment. Hopefully its all getting sorted by end of nxt week
Where does the time go???

LHR777

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:45 pm

BA lifted the staff travel embargo for all stations yesterday, EXCEPT LHR. The only staff that can travel subload from LHR are either commuting staff or staff returning to base, with no exceptions. BA has also embargoed all duty travel at this time.

EXAAUADL

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting N353SK (Thread starter):
A woman I work with is planning a trip to greece, via nonrevving. She went to our pass bureau today and was told that at this time LHR is not accepting any nonrev passengers. Is there any merit to this rumor?

i think that is up to the airline not the airport

FI642

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:27 am

I've seen some emergency pass requests for BA staff this week. These are for staff that would have to transit LHR.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

raptors

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:13 am

I flew out of LHR on the 11th ID50 to FRA on business, and the flight was only 3/4 full, but you could hardly move in T2. Go figure!
SSC/B11/146/AR8/AT7/A30/A81/AB4/6/310/318-321/332/333/343/346/388/703/722/732-9
74L/742/744/74E/74X/752-3/762-4/772/773/77W/77E/788-9/170/190/CR7/CR9/TU3/TU5/T20/IL8
IL6/IL7/I93/DC3/DC8/9/10/M11/M81/M82/M83/M90

scbriml

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:15 am

Fare-paying passengers are so upset for you. Oh wait, I lied. sarcastic 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

swatpamike

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:30 am

Hello all

Any word on travel into and out of LGW??? I was planning to nonrev BA MCO to LGW on the 30 or 31.

Cheers

swatpamike

LHR777

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Swatpamike (Reply 11):
Any word on travel into and out of LGW???

See my post above.

Piff

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:37 am

There must be a huge backlog at LHR at the moment, is it really fair to nonrev??  boggled 

raptors

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Piff (Reply 13):

Quoting Piff (Reply 13):
There must be a huge backlog at LHR at the moment, is it really fair to nonrev??

It is space available, so no space, no seat. I just guess it still takes valuable time to process, and once checked in the airline is responsible in the event of a delay/canx etc.
SSC/B11/146/AR8/AT7/A30/A81/AB4/6/310/318-321/332/333/343/346/388/703/722/732-9
74L/742/744/74E/74X/752-3/762-4/772/773/77W/77E/788-9/170/190/CR7/CR9/TU3/TU5/T20/IL8
IL6/IL7/I93/DC3/DC8/9/10/M11/M81/M82/M83/M90

LHR777

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting Piff (Reply 13):
is it really fair to nonrev??

Well, not to revenue passengers, as it takes time to process non-revs, and that's time that could be better used processing fare-paying customers.

However, subload travel is space available, so if seats exist, you get to go. Of course, then you don't get through security and get offloaded anyway!

Quoting Raptors (Reply 14):
once checked in the airline is responsible in the event of a delay/canx etc.

No, it's not. If the flight is subsequently cancelled or delayed, you're on your own and will need to go to a ticket desk or staff travel location to get re-listed. It's the airlines' responsibility once the flight has departed. At BA, our travel regs clearly state that a BA non-rev passenger is treated as a commercial passenger, only in the event of a diversion.

This is from the staff-travel pages of the BA Intranet:

Quote:
All personal and duty staff travel into and out of London Heathrow is again banned until further notice.

The only exception to the embargo remains commuting crew and staff returning to their base.

The position will be reviewed on a regular basis.

As a suggestion, could other airline staff update this thread with their current policy, so we can all help each other get home of wherever we need to get to?

malmoaviation

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:42 am

I'm going Nonrev @ Friday from LHR to ARN, on SK. I hope that it will make, cos sleeping at a hotel in London in these times when the pound is around 14 Swedish kroner would be expensive. And my school starts next Monday. That's life. This threat has made a lot of damage, for example, today I was on a airshow in Dala-Jarna (Northern Sweden), USAF would have made a airshow with a F-15, but due to this they cancelled it.  Sad

Established02

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting Malmoaviation (Reply 16):
I'm going Nonrev @ Friday from LHR to ARN, on SK.

As an alternative travel option you could also consider SK530 LCY-ANR out of London City Airport. The hassle at LCY may expectedly be way lower than at LHR.

RichardPrice

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 15):
Well, not to revenue passengers, as it takes time to process non-revs, and that's time that could be better used processing fare-paying customers.

Well to be fair, to the passenger behind you it doesnt matter what you paid for the seat, if it wasnt you infront of them it would be someone else. Seriously, how many nonrevs are there a day at LHR? Does it even hit triple figures? The numbers are lost in the crowd.

N353SK
Topic Author

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 10):
Fare-paying passengers are so upset for you. Oh wait, I lied.  

You must really not understand how the air industry works, then, because I'm pretty sure fare paying passengers are going to be upset if Crew that aren't allowed to nonrev into LHR cause delays/cancellations.

JJMNGR

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:24 am

It was really right. I was in LHR during hole last week and was adv that my ID90 tkt on AF would not be accepted. I had to return to CDG via Eurostar and it was great! I just arrived GRU this morning.

LH417AF025

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 10):
Fare-paying passengers are so upset for you. Oh wait, I lied.

forget them.

[Edited 2006-08-13 03:34:14]

scbriml

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 19):
I'm pretty sure fare paying passengers are going to be upset if Crew that aren't allowed to nonrev into LHR cause delays/cancellations

Is your colleague travelling to Greece for crew positioning? scratchchin 
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

707jetclipper

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi, everyone!

This is my first post on Airliners.net. I have a question regarding non-reving in general. When an airline employee non-revs, can that person ride in the cockpit jumpseat, or would that employee only be allowed to ride in the cabin?

N353SK
Topic Author

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:28 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 22):
Is your colleague travelling to Greece for crew positioning? 

Of course not, but that's not the point. If you think that all LHR based crew members live in London you are sorely mistaken. You can't reasonably tell me that no flight crews on any airline commute to work through LHR.

Quoting 707jetclipper (Reply 23):
Hi, everyone!

This is my first post on Airliners.net. I have a question regarding non-reving in general. When an airline employee non-revs, can that person ride in the cockpit jumpseat, or would that employee only be allowed to ride in the cabin?

Crew can Jumpseat, everybody else cannot. I believe one of the requirements to sit in a cockpit jump seat is that you must have the ability to take control of the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

[Edited 2006-08-13 06:29:37]

aussiestu

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 24):
I believe one of the requirements to sit in a cockpit jump seat is that you must have the ability to take control of the aircraft in the event of an emergency

Not one of the requirements here in the UK. Most airlines here have the requirement that you are an employee of the airline that you are cockpit jumpseat riding. Commuting crew have some priority over staff trying to get somewhere on their holidays (may seem unfair to some) but the cabin jumpseats are another story. Please remember that here in the UK we still pay to jumpseat ride. Oh how I wish we had the ability to ride for free like other airline staff do with their respective airlines.

scbriml

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Of course not, but that's not the point.

It was exactly my point. wink 

Given the chaos at LHR, airline staff going on their holidays for free, or very cheaply, would not be viewed very sympathetically by most fare paying pax.

Deadheading crew is obviously an entirely different matter.

lewis

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 26):

Given the chaos at LHR, airline staff going on their holidays for free, or very cheaply, would not be viewed very sympathetically by most fare paying pax.

The point is, they wouldn't even know.

I am flying non-rev next week to London and back, hope the situation is calmer by then.

LHR777

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 18):
Seriously, how many nonrevs are there a day at LHR? Does it even hit triple figures? The numbers are lost in the crowd.

Easily hits triple-figures, on BA alone. It's such big business, both T1 and T4 have dedicated staff travel check-in and ticketing locations, staffed by dedicated sales and reservations agents, trained specifically in staff travel processes.

I've worked departures with upward of 30-40 staff onboard before. That's on just a single flight.

SafeFlyer

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:13 am

Indeed, I believe it is still banned out of LHR. I was vacationning in Southern France and nobody at NCE was aware it seems that staff travel was banned, but we were advised once on board by the crew. Came back Friday because AC took our tickets and got us on 849 to YYZ. I got home yesterday YYZ-YOW due to another nice AC ticketing agent who got me a good confirmed deal to fly home.

I'd like to take time here to actually thank Air Canada as they were great with us since they didn't have to take us. It was a bad end to a good vacation.  Embarrassment This is a stressful situation for non-revers and If rev passengers are having a hard time getting on, imagine non-revers like us who hadn't exactly planned this happening during our trip. Again, I thank the AC folks too, great job, you really deserve the nice profits you're making lately!

Cheers!

bullpitt

Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi Scbriml

Just some food for thought, I don't complain to my bank because employees get lower mortgage rates, I don't complain that Ford employees get a discount when they purchase a new car, etc, etc. So why should they worry about my company giving me cheaper tkts.

Airline employees don't give two hoots about what passengers think about us non reving.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

lamedianaranja

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 15):
could other airline staff update this thread with their current policy

KLM is accepting non-revs with ZED tickets anywhere ISA (if space available) and we also give out cabin - and cockpit jumpseats. It depends a bit on the crew if they ask for your licence or flight safety certification but it should be no problem.

There is a strict order of acceptance, KL staff goes first, by seniority, then SkyTeam staff, then HV and MP employees and then companies we don't have any links with, say BA or LH.

Good luck to all non-revvers out there!
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

carduelis

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:32 pm

From BA's Staff Travel Website:-

Security alert - Can I travel? updated 14Aug06 0945 BST

Question
UK Airports security alert - Can I travel?

Answer
Update....0945 hrs / 14Aug

All personal and duty staff travel into and out of London Heathrow is again banned until further notice.

The only exception to the embargo remains commuting crew and staff returning to their base (staff who are returning to their ticketed point of origin).

The position will be reviewed on a regular basis.
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

AY104

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting N353SK (Thread starter):
Again, I thank the AC folks too, great job, you really deserve the nice profits you're making lately!

Thank you for saying that! I worked almost 26 years for the airlines (AY, WA and DL), having been given a choice in 1998 to either be laid off or transfer. I chose to be laid off, and since have started a new career. The years that I worked for the airlines, I feel, were the best years from 1972 to 1998.
Since 1998, I have mostly bought tickets, as of course no more airline benefits. However, a good friend of mine at AC has made me her "designated partner", which means I can travel space available on my own. I have made a few trips on AC, and every airport I travel out of, and every plane I ride on, cannot believe the wonderful service I have received from AC staff. Generally, if a flight is open, say for example 85% full (I'm not sure the exact percent), as a space available passenger I can check myself in for the flight and also have the privilege of changing my seat. I have even done so, then when I have gone to check my bag have been asked again "Are you sure you got the seat you want?" Even when the flights are full, and on standby at the gate, AC staff is so well organized, courteous and friendly. They start the boarding and all the gate procedures well in advance of departure, so there is no disruption to revenue passengers.
I have also travelled out of LHR in the past when I worked for the airlines, and have been treated very well by BA staff, again both on the ground and in the air. They do have a decicated staff travel area, at times I have seen literally hundreds of airline employees lined up there, so must be in the thousands some days. So I can understand the last few days their decision to ban staff travel, specifically from Heathrow. I am sure that at this time of year, if that decision had not been made it very likely would have impacted departures. One can't get a seat until all revenue passengers are checked in, sometimes as close as 45 min. before the flight, and it would be impossible for anyone to make it from check-in to the gate on time.
I do have the greatest respect for all airline employees, especially since 9/11. I believe that they work in a lot more stressful times than when I was an airline employee, and a lot of them are not making nearly the salary we made back in the "good old days". I also firmly believe that especially at this time, we must treat these people with utmost respect. I am very sympathetic to the fact that a lot of airline staff have had their travel plans ruined by these events, I am sure even to the point where entire vacations have had to be cancelled, and probably delays in getting back to work. Also, it can't be fun when your crew base is changed involuntarily and you find yourself having to travel often at your own time and expense to get to your originating flights, often on standby. I know crew members who have had their bases changed twice in a year, and these are people who are home owners with families.
So yes, I have sympathy for everyone in this situation, revenue and non-revenue. However, it's time to show these people who get us to our destinations a lot of respect.
Cheers,
Carl (AY104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

N353SK
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 26):
It was exactly my point.  

Deadheading crew is obviously an entirely different matter.

Once again, you're not getting it. Deaheading means that part of that crew member's line assigns them to sit in the back of the plane for a leg, for whatever reason. What I'm trying to explain to you is that many LHR based crew do not live anywhere near LHR, so they nonrev in and out before and after their trips. Most companies consider this type of travel pleasure, which is currently prohibited at LHR. So, like I said, it WILL be a big deal for paying passengers when their flight is late because the captain is stuck in traffic between STN and LHR.

goaliemn

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:58 am

Crew can Jumpseat, everybody else cannot. I believe one of the requirements to sit in a cockpit jump seat is that you must have the ability to take control of the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

In the US, you must be crew certified. I don't think you have to have the ability to take control of the aircraft, however. I know people who are crew rated, but can't fly a plane  Wink

In Europe, you just have to be an airline employee. I was non-reving once and rode cockpit jumpseat AMS-LHR. that was quite the trip  Smile

LHR777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:04 am

Just so folks know, so long as you can prove that you are returning to base, you can try to non-rev on BA, no matter which carrier you work for, so long as you have the correct tickets and your airline ID. The 'return-to-base/commuting only' rule isn't just BA-staff specific.

I did a JFK departure today and took some Alaska Airlines folks home, also did a Geneva flight and took some LX staff.

No jumpseats though - those will go to BA staff only, at Captains' discretion.

[Edited 2006-08-14 19:05:58]

kaddyuk

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 35):
In Europe, you just have to be an airline employee. I was non-reving once and rode cockpit jumpseat AMS-LHR. that was quite the trip

Negative, you need to have Flight Deck Access in your line of work at the airline, there can be no other seats open on the aircraft and you can only jump seat if you're positioning for work/duties. However the captains decision is final...  Wink
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

LHR777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 37):
Negative, you need to have Flight Deck Access in your line of work at the airline

Since when? I'm a ground CSA and have flown cockpit jumpseat twice this year already! Is it airline-specific?

miami1

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 am

Any body know if AA are uplifting nonrevs. im wanting to travel them LHR to ORD in about a week and half, hopefully most of the embargoes will have been lifted by then !

dc10s4ever

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Miami1 (Reply 39):
Any body know if AA are uplifting nonrevs. im wanting to travel them LHR to ORD in about a week and half, hopefully most of the embargoes will have been lifted by then !

D3 travel to/from the EU is still embargoed. This is normal for this time of year. D1/D2 and Staff is not embargoed to the EU at this time

MH017

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 38):
Is it airline-specific?

It is !

My understanding is, European airlines are more lenient than the ones in the US for cockpit-jumpseats...and, like said before, it's captain's discretion...

[Edited 2006-08-14 20:39:03]
don't throw away tomorrow !

US AIRWAYS

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:54 am

I have also flown jumpseat from MUC-CDG on LH and I'm not flight crew. I even asked to make sure it was alright and they assured me it was completely okay.
Go Eagles!

goaliemn

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting US AIRWAYS (Reply 42):
I have also flown jumpseat from MUC-CDG on LH and I'm not flight crew.

I asked 2 or 3 times to make sure it was ok as well. I had my ID with (non-crew). Flight was full and gate agent told me that the jumpseat was open and the captain said I could have it.  Smile

scbriml

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 30):
Airline employees don't give two hoots about what passengers think about us non reving.

If you work for IB, then you seem be in compliance with company policy in respect of its attitude towards its customers. wink 

At least BA applies some common sense to the situation and puts its paying customers first:

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 32):

B747-437B

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 37):
Negative, you need to have Flight Deck Access in your line of work at the airline, there can be no other seats open on the aircraft and you can only jump seat if you're positioning for work/duties.

Or you can get the carrier's Director of Operations to request the CAA to grant you a jumpseat exception.

As with all things in life, it depends on who you know in the end!  Smile

planespotting

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:42 am

Requirements are set by the FAA, but the jumpseat is the property of the airline, and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it, provided what they do falls within FAA regulations. This is what allows them to put interns, flight attendants, CEO's, VP of Finance, etc...in the jumpseat.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

vv701

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 18):
Well to be fair, to the passenger behind you it doesnt matter what you paid for the seat, if it wasnt you infront of them it would be someone else. Seriously, how many nonrevs are there a day at LHR? Does it even hit triple figures? The numbers are lost in the crowd.

I think you are missing the point. Departing aircraft at LHR are often leaving far from full not because there are not enough passengers in the airport to more than full the flight but because potential passengers have failed to transit security in time to board. So for every non-rev transiting security in time to board a flight there is a revenue paying passenger who misses his or her flight because he or she failed to transit security while the non-rev was going through. And as

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 28):
It's such big business, both T1 and T4 have dedicated staff travel check-in and ticketing locations, staffed by dedicated sales and reservations agents, trained specifically in staff travel processes.

these dedicated staff can be released too serve revenue paying customers.

N353SK
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 44):
At least BA applies some common sense to the situation and puts its paying customers first:

Nonrevving 101: Paying customers always have and always will come first. That's why it's called space available non-revenue employee travel. That means that Paying passengers, confirmed or standby, come before nonrevs, no exceptions. Paying freight also comes before nonrevs. Hell, even unpaid company material comes first. If the company wants to send 400 pounds of ticket stock, nonrevs are out of luck.

Scbriml, I fail to see why you have this vendetta against nonrevs. Believe it or not, it's considered a benefit of our jobs, as are insurance, pension, etc. In no way, shape, or form does nonrev travel ever inconvenience paying customers.

LHR777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:17 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 48):
Scbriml, I fail to see why you have this vendetta against non-revs.

Maybe he's not an airline employee. If he was, he wouldn't be banging on about it......!  Big grin

For all the hardworking airline staff here that DO have flight privileges (and it is just that - a privilege, not a right), just enjoy them when you can! When you invariably get stuck in 53EF on your way home from somewhere far away, remember how much you haven't paid for your ticket. Thats what I did, returning from YVR last month......!