deltaffindfw
Topic Author

TSA At DCA - Lazy As Usual

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:54 am

I just went through security a few minutes ago at DCA (where AA flies out of). I couldn't believe the continued laziness of TSA employees. Obviously, there are a lot more screeners yelling for bag checks, but the people who are supposed to do the secondary screening where yelling back and forth to each other trying to get someone else to do it. One person says he should do it, and then he says the she sould do it. All the while, they are standing around yapping at each other doing nothing.

It makes me sick! If the lines are slow because of volume and problems, then I can deal with it. I cannot deal with lazy employees who want to stand around.  banghead 

qxq400

RE: TSA At DCA - Lazy As Usual

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 am

What makes you think this is a DCA problem. TSA= thousands standing around  crazy   flamed   gnasher 
Welcome baby Madison Renee

FutureFO

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:27 am

And in MCO they do not even get screened when comikng into work.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

halls120

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Thread starter):
I just went through security a few minutes ago at DCA (where AA flies out of). I couldn't believe the continued laziness of TSA employees. Obviously, there are a lot more screeners yelling for bag checks, but the people who are supposed to do the secondary screening where yelling back and forth to each other trying to get someone else to do it. One person says he should do it, and then he says the she sould do it. All the while, they are standing around yapping at each other doing nothing.

I wish some enterprising news organization would film a typical TSA checkpoint, and do the same with BAA at Heathrow and German security at Frankfurt or Munich.

The inefficiency of TSA would be unmistakable.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

bri2k1

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 3):
I wish some enterprising news organization would film a typical TSA checkpoint

I thought I heard somewhere that taking pictures (or video) of a security checkpoint was banned. The TSA publicly explains that they use an element of randomness in their procedures to enhance security. For that reason, it's unclear to me why permanent recordings of the procedures would be unsafe. Anyway, it's likely to get you in trouble if you try. I can't find any specific information about it on the TSA web site. I did find the following story, which is interesting if nothing else. In it, the writer claims to have been told by the FBI that taking photos of the screening area is legal, but he was detained, ultimately not allowed to travel, and of course had to delete the photos he took before he was told that.

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A9211
Position and hold

kc135topboom

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Qxq400 (Reply 1):
TSA= thousands standing around

They are the same way at both DFW and DAL.

Thank you Congress!!!!!!!!  Angry

At least MassPort asked the Governor of Massachusetts to call out the National Guard. Didn't California do that, too?

nkops

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 4):
I thought I heard somewhere that taking pictures (or video) of a security checkpoint was banned.

That is correct.. you are not allowed to take pictures or video of any security checkpoint or CTX machines, etc. unless you have permission from TSA (good luck getting that).

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
Didn't California do that, too?

Yes, and I think Pennsylvania did the same...
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

ETStar

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 am

Two things about TSA and the whole process at DCA:
1. The last time I flew out of there, this dumb a$$ of a TSA checker was on the other side of the metal detector yelling, as they all do. However, buddy was yelling something similar to "hang on to your boarding passes", and was on the other side of the detector with his back toward us, those of us who were about to go through the detector. I heard what he said alright, but had no indication that it was directed at us, and placed it in my bin with my belongings (half on purpose). I go through the detector, and he loudly proclaims "I said, hang on to your boarding passes" and asks one of his co-workers, again yelling, "did I not say hang on to your boarding passes?". I looked at him, smiled, and asked him who he was directing his instructions to, since he was definitely not talking to unchecked pax. He goes on to say "you should be hanging on to your boarding passes" as if he is some recording, I walk right by (thank god I had not beeped) and move on to pick up my belongings. The next time it happens, I will be sure to repeat the same.

2. I am sick and tired of pax who become such inconveniences by asking the TSA, loudly, whether or not this is a "take of your shoes" type of check. This one woman pissed me off at DCA a couple of trips ago, as she asked that as soon as I was about to go through the detector, as loud as possible so that she could be heard by the TSA director himself! Had she been awake for the last 5 minutes while in line, she should have noticed that this was not the case, and moved on with life. But noooo, she had to mess it up for me and those behind her, as TSA buddy woke up and agreed that it should be a "take of your shoes" type of check. Some people...

utapao

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:20 am

Then why not write your local newspaper, or "60 Minutes" or "20-20", or your Congressman, or the head of TSA or President Bash. Posting on this forum where close to 100% will agree with you accomplishes nothing and certainly doesn't improve the situation. For that matter, very few posting on this board accomplish anything other than chest thumping, pontificating, whining. Very few of us do anything beyond posting here.

I certainly don't disagree with you... far from it... I admire you for noticing. But this forum is not going to remedy anything... we need to get off our rears and force change.

Safe (!) Travels....
Sawasdee khrab!

halls120

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:05 am

I thought I heard somewhere that taking pictures (or video) of a security checkpoint was banned. The TSA publicly explains that they use an element of randomness in their procedures to enhance security. For that reason, it's unclear to me why permanent recordings of the procedures would be unsafe. Anyway, it's likely to get you in trouble if you try.

I'm sure you are correct about how TSA would never allow a video - probably the same thing at LHR and oher airports.

Still, I wish someone in Congress would have GAO or some other agency do a comparison of the TSA operations with their foreign counterparts. I'm sure it would reveal the disgusting inefficiency of TSA.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

bri2k1

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 6):
That is correct.. you are not allowed to take pictures or video of any security checkpoint or CTX machines, etc. unless you have permission from TSA (good luck getting that).

Do you have a source for that? The news story I posted a link to has repeated references from FBI, TSA, police, and airline and airport personnel at LAX insisting it was legal and even his legal counsel concurred. I can't imagine TSA being very happy about it, but their own web site doesn't say anything about not taking pictures, and there aren't any signs posted regarding the same at any of the numerous checkpoints I've been through.
Position and hold

access-air

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:20 am

Actually it would be nice if all of the Governmental officials that make TSA happen had to use TSA for a month in their travels instead of avoiding it all by flying on VIP Bizjets.....then maybe they would understand what kind of mess TSA really is....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

HPRamper

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Utapao (Reply 8):
I certainly don't disagree with you... far from it... I admire you for noticing. But this forum is not going to remedy anything... we need to get off our rears and force change.

This is true, but writing letters won't accomplish anything. The government would probably accuse you of "supporting and comforting our enemies" or something akin to that.
The best way we can "force change" is to get out and vote properly later this year  twocents 

N353SK

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:31 pm

I can't speak for every airport, and I'm surely not praising TSA, but ever since the TSA has been created I've actually noticed an increase in the quality of the screeners. I no longer see screeners watching the X-ray monitor with droopy, sleepy, bored eyes. Hell, TSA workers make more than some FOs and they're a lot better than the minimum wage screeners we used to have. They do still have a ways to go though.

turpentyine

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:21 pm

maybe their incompetence is some top secret gov. technique to fight terrorism.
lol

ImperialEagle

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:18 pm

they use an element of randomness

Like snapping their bubblegum, picking their blue three inch long fingernails, arranging their pineapple or skislope hairdos' and chatting amongst themselves----or just plain standing around doing nothing. Oh----and don't try to interact with someone----it usually proves to be a lesson in "ebonics", that is bound to increase the frustration level. This is how it goes at ATL.

At OMA they are working, and openly rude and aggressive.

Somehow I don't expect these people to be friendly, and efficient, but there must be SOME kind of middleground!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

contrails

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting Utapao (Reply 8):
Then why not write your local newspaper, or "60 Minutes" or "20-20", or your Congressman, or the head of TSA or President Bush. Posting on this forum where close to 100% will agree with you accomplishes nothing and certainly doesn't improve the situation.

Absolutely right! If you see some lazy TSA people as described in this post please expose them. Email your congressional delegation. Call your newspaper and let them know about it. If you have a Fox TV station in your city call them - they love exposing stuff like this.

We have a vested interest in this. We could be one of the victims of their incompetency.

[Edited 2006-08-14 16:28:05]

[Edited 2006-08-14 16:28:37]
Flying Colors Forever!

jaysit

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:42 pm

DCA is not that bad if you leave from the USAirways concourse. They move along pretty fast. Its slower at the DL, CO concourse for some reason. Don't know why. Remember also, that TSA agents have to deal with some incredibly stupid, slow and argumentative passengers who will walk through the detector with all sorts of bling stuck in their pockets.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

bennett123

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:56 pm

If they are as bad as they are supposed to be, it is obvious that they will not allow pictures.

They may be lazy, but clearly not stupid.  Smile

azstagecoach

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:01 am

I was flying international out of DCA via concourse B this spring. The checker inisisted my passport was invalid because of frayed edges and a photo that was delaminating. Now, anyone who has used their US passport as an ID for a while would know this is normal, but no matter, she kept insisting that it was no good and I couldn't go through security. She also refused to refer the matter to anyone else, presumably because they were sleeping and didn't want to be awaken.

Fortunately, I had my drivers licence which she grudgingly accepted after examining it for five minutes even though it was a DC drivers licence. Guess she didn't see these very often either.

I then passed the airline passport check, costa rica immigration (twice), the airline passport check a second time, American immigration, and American customs with no problem whatsoever.

halls120

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 17):
DCA is not that bad if you leave from the USAirways concourse. They move along pretty fast. Its slower at the DL, CO concourse for some reason. Don't know why. Remember also, that TSA agents have to deal with some incredibly stupid, slow and argumentative passengers who will walk through the detector with all sorts of bling stuck in their pockets

I've noticed the same thing. Both how the US concourse moves quicker than the others - I think perhaps because it is at the end of the terminal - and of the unacceptably high numbers of stupid passengers. TSA has an announcement on the video screens that cycles repeatedly, telling people what to do, and far too many people get up to the front and pull a 'gee, I didn't know I had to take my coat off" routine.

However, in comparison to their foreign counterparts, even the TSA screeners at DCA pale in comparison to those overseas - at least in Europe.

Brick

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:32 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 6):

I've heard this over and over. I don't know if in fact it is true. If it is true, then how does the Denver media get away with setting up shop on the upper level that overlooks the security checkpoints and film away to their hearts content? Last week when all of this stuff broke, all stations in the Denver market sent a crew to DIA to film the new regulations. Footage aired that included screeners running the x-ray machine, patting down passengers, and hand searching bags. How come they can do that, but if I take a photo of something outside of the terminal and I happen to be near a security checkpoint, I get a major hassle about it...?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

gigneil

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:08 am

It took me 1 minute 13 seconds to clear security at DCA on the Center Pier.

NS

coyoteguy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 3):
I wish some enterprising news organization would film a typical TSA checkpoint, and do the same with BAA at Heathrow and German security at Frankfurt or Munich.

The inefficiency of TSA would be unmistakable.

Unfortunately there are no news organizations in the US that would dare report such a thing as they would then get labeled as 'anti American terrorist supporters' or some other BS to silence them. There is a reason that people in the US who want to know the truth about what is going on in the world turn to the BBC or other international news organizations.

HPRamper

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 19):
The checker inisisted my passport was invalid because of frayed edges and a photo that was delaminating.

Nevermind common sense, which would indicate that fake passports would probably be new and spiffy, not worn and frayed from use.

nelsonde

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 am

I know it's a hassle, but if you have a complaint, please complain. You can contact at http://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/default.aspx and enter specifics from a pull down menu and it should take less time than posting on a.net. It's taken alot more seriously than a posting on a.net too.

Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 19):
I was flying international out of DCA via concourse B this spring. The checker inisisted my passport was invalid because of frayed edges and a photo that was delaminating. Now, anyone who has used their US passport as an ID for a while would know this is normal, but no matter, she kept insisting that it was no good and I couldn't go through security. She also refused to refer the matter to anyone else, presumably because they were sleeping and didn't want to be awaken.

I don't know why an officer was examining the passport, we only examine the boarding pass and the airline is responsible for verifying passenger identity. We are looking for a code that designates the holder for additional screening, not your name.

Quoting Nkops (Reply 6):

TSA SOP only prohibits photography if it will interfere or impede the screening process. Maybe the officers that complain about it are the lazy ones. If you are hassled by an officer, request to speak to a supervisor or screening manager and report it to the TSA headquarters.

Terror plots against aircraft are real and if you, your fellow passengers, airport workers, or even the TSA are not being thoroughly screened and you know it, don't you have an obligation to complain? The temptation to write it all off as unlikely, to focus screening against particular groups, or to merely gripe instead of act when observing lazy, improper, or inappropriate screening must be resisted because there ARE people targetting aircraft. If you don't act against this, who should?
Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV! Fly PGV!

turpentyine

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:58 am

mmmm i wouldnt quote the SOP on here if i was you man

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:40 am

I use FNT alot. It's safe to say that since TSA showed up a few years back, I have departed the FNT terminal about 100 times. EVERY single time I approach the first TSA person who checks I D and boarding pass, is reading a paperback or a newspaper. 100 percent EVERY time at FNT.
Now, a good TSA "scout" should be eyeballing the pax as they approach the
security area looking for goofballs before they ever get to the metal detectors.
Not at FLINT....
If there is a TSA official reading this, you need to shape that place up.
A pattern and routine has been set there. Its needs to be broken.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

ak

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:33 pm

TSA's new motto - "Consistently Inconsistent"
" I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos