Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OttoPylit
Topic Author

DL Turns SLC Into West's Largest Hub

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:52 pm

DL Turns SLC Into West's Largest Hub By DESTINATION.

As events go, this one caught almost nobody's attention. On Aug. 1, Delta Air Lines began service to Durango, Colo., from its hub at Salt Lake City International Airport.
The occasion turned out to be a landmark. With that flight, operated for Delta by SkyWest Airlines, the No. 3 U.S. carrier now flies nonstop to 108 cities from Salt Lake, which is more than any other airline serving destinations from any other airport in the west.
More than United, the dominant airline in Denver, San Francisco or Los Angeles. More than US Airways in Phoenix or Las Vegas. More than Alaska Airlines at Seattle. More than any airline flying from any airport in the 11 states that comprise the western United States, according to OAG Worldwide Ltd., a multinational travel and transportation information company.

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_4174066

OttoPylit

Edited for topic: By DESTINATION

[Edited 2006-08-14 17:18:43]
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

deltairlines

RE: DL Turns SLC Into West's Largest Hub

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 pm

I'll cross-post what I posted on FlyerTalk.

DL serves the most destinations out of SLC if you exclude Great Lakes from UA's operations at DEN. UA serves 105 distinct destinations (with mainline/Theodore/SkyWest/Shuttle America/Mesa/GoJet/Trans States), but there are an additional 25 destinations which UA has it's flight number on that are flown with Great Lakes aircraft. If you include these flights in (which is of debate, since F9 has their codes on these same flights), then UA would have 130 destinations out of DEN.

Either way, regardless of airline, DEN has many more cities served than SLC.

Source for cities was Star Alliance timetable, using date range of Aug 13-20.

ssides

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 am

There's no doubt that United's DEN hub serves many more passengers than DL at SLC.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

jumbojet

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Ssides (Reply 2):
There's no doubt that United's DEN hub serves many more passengers than DL at SLC.

I dont believe Ottopylit was referring to passengers served

Quoting OttoPylit (Thread starter):
the No. 3 U.S. carrier now flies nonstop to 108 cities from Salt Lake, which is more than any other airline serving destinations from any other airport in the west.

DAL767400ER

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:16 am

Regardless of whether SLC is the largest Western hub (pun fully intended!) or not, it is quite amazing to see the size of it, considering that a few years ago it was heavily rumored to be killed along with DFW (and probably would have had Mullin stayed any longer). 350 daily flights to over 100 destinations is quite an upgrade from what used to be around 250 to 70 destinations around 4 years ago (going off the top of my head, not sure of exact numbers).

MalpensaSFO

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 4):

Regardless of whether SLC is the largest Western hub (pun fully intended!) or not, it is quite amazing to see the size of it, considering that a few years ago it was heavily rumored to be killed along with DFW (and probably would have had Mullin stayed any longer). 350 daily flights to over 100 destinations is quite an upgrade from what used to be around 250 to 70 destinations around 4 years ago (going off the top of my head, not sure of exact numbers).

There is a lot of talk that 12 Delta Connection cities, 8 Delta mainline domestic cities, 5 Delta mainline international cities will be added in 2007. Details will come about over the next 3-6 months.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

OttoPylit
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 1):
DL serves the most destinations out of SLC if you exclude Great Lakes from UA's operations at DEN. UA serves 105 distinct destinations (with mainline/Theodore/SkyWest/Shuttle America/Mesa/GoJet/Trans States), but there are an additional 25 destinations which UA has it's flight number on that are flown with Great Lakes aircraft. If you include these flights in (which is of debate, since F9 has their codes on these same flights), then UA would have 130 destinations out of DEN.

I believe the report is referring to flights operated by the airline's own metal, not codeshares. For instance, the Great Lakes flights you refer to are flown with UA flight numbers, as well as F9, etc. The report is referring to flights flown by Delta or DCI. Or flights flown for UA by UA or UAX, but not a multi-airline codeshare pact.

There's no doubt that United's DEN hub serves many more passengers than DL at SLC

I have edited the original post to refer to destinations. According to the report, SLC now serves 108 destinations, and DeltAirlines reported DEN as serving 105.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

DAL767400ER

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 5):
There is a lot of talk that 12 Delta Connection cities, 8 Delta mainline domestic cities, 5 Delta mainline international cities will be added in 2007. Details will come about over the next 3-6 months.

As even Madonna say, "talk is cheap". Doubt that DL would add 25 new destinations from SLC so soon. That said, there are still a few transcons missing that should be coming, like JAX, PIT or CLT, more Mexican destinations, and as reported, the airport wants Euro service, so there will indeed be a few new additions coming from SLC. Of course, once the ex-TWA 757s arrive, KOA could come as well.

MalpensaSFO

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 7):
As even Madonna say, "talk is cheap". Doubt that DL would add 25 new destinations from SLC so soon. That said, there are still a few transcons missing that should be coming, like JAX, PIT or CLT, more Mexican destinations, and as reported, the airport wants Euro service, so there will indeed be a few new additions coming from SLC. Of course, once the ex-TWA 757s arrive, KOA could come as well.

There is talk of Victoria, Olympia, Stockton, Modesto, Santa Maria, Carlsbad, Santa Fe, Santa Rosa, Eureka, Crescent City, Flagstaff, and Amarillo as the Delta Connection additions.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

FATFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 8):
There is talk of Victoria, Olympia, Stockton, Modesto, Santa Maria, Carlsbad, Santa Fe, Santa Rosa, Eureka, Crescent City, Flagstaff, and Amarillo as the Delta Connection additions.

Also Salem, OR and Chico, CA.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

HVNandrew

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:53 am

Carlsbad, CA? That could work out very well...

PanAm747

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:54 am

Congratulations to SLC!!

I remember a couple of years ago when BFL-SLC was added - I had hoped a BFL-DEN flight would be in the works, but no sign of it yet...  boggled  but it is good to see attention being paid to the west coast!!

Here's to success at BOTH airports, SLC and DEN!!  champagne 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 4):

Great pun!  laughing  SLC is quite amazing as it is, having an immediate market of just 2 million people (when you include Ogden and Provo in the greater Wasatch Front metro-area) when compared to Phoenix which is twice as large and Denver which is not far behind. But then again in the Mountain Time Zone, SLC is the 3rd largest market behind those two, and there is nothing remotely close (BOI, TUC, COS, ABQ are considerably smaller).

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 5):

I've heard talk amongst my contacts with SkyWest that DL will add that many and perhaps more to the connection carrier network. Even some that they've just tried seasonally this year such as service to YYJ have exceeded their expectations.

That said, there are still a few transcons missing that should be coming, like JAX, PIT or CLT, more Mexican destinations, and as reported, the airport wants Euro service, so there will indeed be a few new additions coming from SLC. Of course, once the ex-TWA 757s arrive, KOA could come as well.

There are still many in this forum that doubt the ex-TWA 752s can do SLC-KOA, but once they get the said equipment they will start that service again immediately.
Big version: Width: 481 Height: 241 File size: 5kb
SLC-KOA:2966 miles, Boeing 752 range: 3900nm

There are many other destinations that can be added from SLC that I'm certain DL will be looking at adding. Hopefully we'll be looking more like this in the future, rather than being the CRJ capitol of the planet:
Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 812 File size: 459kb

The biggest issue facing SLC and future DL growth is in relationship to the airport physical facility itself. If they really want service to Europe (CDG or LGW) they MUST upgrade one of their two runways from 12,000' to 15,000' to accommodate the 763s during hot summer weather here. And the terminal is another matter that gets me  gnasher  since coming in from SEA on Sunday my arriving 752 had to wait 15-20 minutes for gate D-3 to open!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Garri767

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:14 am

now would that be cool for those of us in AMA. we lost DL connection to DFW a while ago (DFW dehubbing, that was january 2005?) Glad to see we are in the talks. Flagstaff? now that sounds interesting, i like the idea.same with carlsbad.
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

FlyPNS1

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:16 am

It's funny though that some of the new cities they list in the article have already been cancelled. SLC-MIA, SLC-BDL, SLC-IND have all been axed starting next month. SLC-KOA is also gone.

Despite all these new markets, DL's SLC traffic was down about 10% in June 06 versus June 05.

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 am

Aside from Victoria (YYJ) becoming year around there is also talk of adding Lethbidge (YQL), and Regina (YQR) to the DC network in SLC by the SkyWest people I've heard talk for additional Canadian destinations from SLC.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 14):
It's funny though that some of the new cities they list in the article have already been cancelled. SLC-MIA, SLC-BDL, SLC-IND have all been axed starting next month. SLC-KOA is also gone.

Some may return since the Shuttle America flights are more of a market possibilities set-up. KOA will be back once DL gets an ex-TWA 752, and the shortage of mainline equipment has hurt being able to elevate IND and maintain BDL. CLE recieved mainline MD-90 service since it is if I recall a codeshare with CO.

[Edited 2006-08-14 18:26:34]Spelling

[Edited 2006-08-14 18:49:51]
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

1337Delta764

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 10):

I think Santa Fe would be a good addition, which would be more convenient for those who live in Santa Fe.

Is that Santa Rosa, California or Santa Rosa, New Mexico? Santa Rosa, New Mexico does have an airport, but no commercial airline service.

I think that Farmington, New Mexico would be a good addition. Farmington is currently the second busiest airport within the state of New Mexico.

CentPIT

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:41 am

That said, there are still a few transcons missing that should be coming, like JAX, PIT or CLT,

I think Pittsburgh and Charlotte would be great additions to Delta's SLC route network! I am not sure of the demand on either route, but I know someone would appreciate the additions!
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

DLSLC

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:54 am

OttoPylit, you got this thread started first, seconds before me! Oh well.  Smile I'm proud of DL in SLC, great job!

Obviously, read the dang post and quoted text from the newspaper before you post. That is not even close to what we are talking about.

Devin B.

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 16):
I think that Farmington, New Mexico would be a good addition. Farmington is currently the second busiest airport within the state of New Mexico.

I think some folks from Las Cruces will take exception to that! That said however, San Juan county is NM's #2 County in population ahead of Dona Anna, but well behind Bernalillio. Farmington/Aztec/Bloomington is a market SLC could serve well with DC/SkyWest service.

MalpensaSFO

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:43 am

Is that Santa Rosa, California or Santa Rosa, New Mexico?

Santa Rosa, California. Additionally Concord, California may be on the horizon as well!
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Goldenshield

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:48 am

Actually, it wouldn't. The flights to LAX as quite weight restricted using Brasilias—and that's only a 15 minute flight. In the heat of summer, a CRJ would be lucky to get to SLC with anyone on board, and the same would apply to a Brasilia.

Also, I'm not sure the FAA would allow jets flying under 121 to fly there in the first place.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 20):
Santa Rosa, California. Additionally Concord, California may be on the horizon as well!

Another possibility is Redding, CA. UA Express currently offers service to SFO and I believe LAX.

SeeTheWorld

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:56 am

As events go, this one caught almost nobody's attention. On Aug. 1, Delta Air Lines began service to Durango, Colo., from its hub at Salt Lake City International Airport.
The occasion turned out to be a landmark. With that flight, operated for Delta by SkyWest Airlines, the No. 3 U.S. carrier now flies nonstop to 108 cities from Salt Lake, which is more than any other airline serving destinations from any other airport in the west.
More than United, the dominant airline in Denver, San Francisco or Los Angeles. More than US Airways in Phoenix or Las Vegas. More than Alaska Airlines at Seattle. More than any airline flying from any airport in the 11 states that comprise the western United States, according to OAG Worldwide Ltd., a multinational travel and transportation information company.

Aw, but it's still SLC - very pretty, but I'd rather do business and vacation in every other one of the examples listed above. Sorry, I think Utah is a beautiful state, but as far as western hubs and destinations go, SLC is no DEN, PHX, LAS, LAX, SFO, or SEA. Saying it over and over doesn't make it so.

HVNandrew

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 21):

Actually, it wouldn't. The flights to LAX as quite weight restricted using Brasilias—and that's only a 15 minute flight. In the heat of summer, a CRJ would be lucky to get to SLC with anyone on board, and the same would apply to a Brasilia.

Also, I'm not sure the FAA would allow jets flying under 121 to fly there in the first place.

America West is already flying Dash 8's out there from PHX. Couldn't DL do the same from SLC?

Goldenshield

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 24):
America West is already flying Dash 8's out there from PHX. Couldn't DL do the same from SLC?

It's a takeoff weight issue with the short runway, slope, and wind. With a light enough load, it can be done, but the question is: how many people could it take?

The Dash-8 and EMB-120 are designed to have short takeoff rolls, but with the summer heat, the numbers get really bad. Also, the FAA is strict about required distances between the runway and parallel taxiways before an aircraft of a certain wingspan would be allowed to use it under 121.There are examples of taxiways that do not meet this rule, but they are are not primary taxiways. CLD has one, and only one primary taxiway, and it may be too close to the runway for the FAA.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

acjflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting DLSLC (Reply 18):
Devin B.

Devin, it's good to see you on the forum. It's been a while since I've seen you at the edge of 34R taking pics. Any good ones recently?

Aaron

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:26 am

What about Southwest @ LAX?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

dia77

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting DLSLC (Reply 18):
Obviously, read the dang post and quoted text from the newspaper before you post. That is not even close to what we are talking about.

This post is very poorly titled. By no means is SLC the west's largest hub.....

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 23):
Aw, but it's still SLC - very pretty, but I'd rather do business and vacation in every other one of the examples listed above. Sorry, I think Utah is a beautiful state, but as far as western hubs and destinations go, SLC is no DEN, PHX, LAS, LAX, SFO, or SEA. Saying it over and over doesn't make it so.

Yeah, BUT it is better situated to do west coast ops than DEN and better than PHX to do most trans-con's and especially north south connections. SLC may have only 2 million people in its metro-area. It may be the driest hard to get a drink at airport in the west. It may well have an obsolete, outdated terminal that needs replacement sooner than later. BUT it is situated right smack in the middle of the 11 western US states and is a mere 2 hours from anywhere in the western US at the most, something DEN and PHX can't say.

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 25):
There are examples of taxiways that do not meet this rule, but they are are not primary taxiways. CLD has one, and only one primary taxiway, and it may be too close to the runway for the FAA

When I was there in June, I saw a G-IV there and it created as much noise as a CRJ would. I saw a EMB-120 of UA Express take off when it was 75% loaded and it had no problem. As CLD is small, the runway seems big enough to accomidate a CRJ fully loaded. Can someone provide the amount of runway needed to take-off with a full load of pax.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

KELPkid

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 19):

I think some folks from Las Cruces will take exception to that! That said however, San Juan county is NM's #2 County in population ahead of Dona Anna, but well behind Bernalillio. Farmington/Aztec/Bloomington is a market SLC could serve well with DC/SkyWest service.

FMN, by virtue of being the home of the San Juan Community College/Mesa Airlines CAPT program (first officer training program), does see much more traffic than LRU  Sad Even though Doña Ana county/Las Cruces encompases NM's second-largest metro area...I wonder what the airport traffic stats were like at LRU in the good ol' days when North American Aviation's flight school at LRU was alive and well  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

KELPkid

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 27):
What about Southwest @ LAX?

Or even PHX? WN gives HP quite the run for the money at PHX...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

eva777sea

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:36 am

When it says more destinations served by Delta than Alaska is that AS or AS and QX?

SESGDL

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 33):
When it says more destinations served by Delta than Alaska is that AS or AS and QX?

It wouldn't matter. DL and OO's presence at SLC is much larger than both AS and QX combined at SEA. AS serves no way near as many destinations at SEA than DL at SLC.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 14):

Despite all these new markets, DL's SLC traffic was down about 10% in June 06 versus June 05.

I find it hilarious that every time you "chime" in to a thread on DL you always seem to point out some fact either refuting it (if it's a positive thread), or confirming it (if it's a negative thread). It's becoming very predictable.

Jeremy

RomeoDelta

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:22 am

Olympia? Olympia?!? Olympia, Washington?!?

While this would be a dream come true for me, I'll believe it when I see it. Olympia has been the "Kiss of Death" for a lot of airlines coming in to the airport (Cascade and Empire, to name just a couple; San Juan, Harbor Air, and Big Sky are still around, but suffered at OLM).

What would be the routing? OLM-GEG-SLC? OLM-SLC? If marketed correctly, it could work (perhaps as an alternative to SEA for those south of Tacoma), but it'll be tough.

One can only hope. Olympia, WA... Hmmm... Delta Connection... Hmmm...

Goldenshield

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 30):
When I was there in June, I saw a G-IV there and it created as much noise as a CRJ would. I saw a EMB-120 of UA Express take off when it was 75% loaded and it had no problem. As CLD is small, the runway seems big enough to accomidate a CRJ fully loaded. Can someone provide the amount of runway needed to take-off with a full load of pax.

You are comparing several different things with several missions.

—The EMB-120 is heading to LAX, and it is weight restricted out of CLD. That EMB-120 was on a 20 minute flight to LAX, and couldn't carry it's max payload due to the performance considerations off of that runway.

—The G-IV is not operating under part 121's rules. 135, maybe, but not 121.

—A CRJ-200 will not carry a full load out of CLD. It could not do that out of SNA, runway 26 at BUR, and certainly not CLD—especially for the fuel required for the mission.

tmarch291

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:46 am

Thats nice to hear...

It's odd though that they would put such a big hub in that small of a city. Wikipedia says it has an estimated population of 178,097, which is pretty small.

I guess though it is in a strategic location, because of how its situated geographically.

SESGDL

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting Tmarch291 (Reply 37):
Thats nice to hear...

It's odd though that they would put such a big hub in that small of a city. Wikipedia says it has an estimated population of 178,097, which is pretty small.

I guess though it is in a strategic location, because of how its situated geographically.

Are you talking about SLC? In the SLC metropolitan are there are over 1 million people, some say close to 2 million if you stretch it. Annually SLC yields some 10.5 million O&D passengers, which is a healthy percentage considering the airport handled 22.5 million passengers, that's a good 46/54 share of O&D to connecting passengers, better than most airline hubs in the US.

Jeremy

TMBishop7

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 am

HAHA...Crescent City?!?! Almost wanted to believe you until you put that one in. Crescent City has a population of 8,500, and it's barely supporting flights to SFO w/ a stop in ACV
"Who we are, is who we were"

EXAAUADL

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:48 am

With that flight, operated for Delta by SkyWest Airlines, the No. 3 U.S. carrier now flies nonstop to 108 cities from Salt Lake, which is more than any other airline serving destinations from any other airport in the west.

I'd say it was most destinations served, not largest hub. Largest hub would be based on either pax levels or daily departures

Santa Fe and Santa Rosa would be problems with CRJs.

FCYTravis

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 20):
Additionally Concord, California may be on the horizon as well!

Yeah, right. The airport authority will not allow any commercial service to CCR. Good try, though.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

style

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:15 am

Boy, Delta really likes these type of misleading marketing announcements. Its kind of like the whole "biggest carrier serving NYC" yet they always seem to forget Continental has a hub in EWR which is considered at NYC area airport.

As for the SLC thing, yes they have grown and made SLC an established hub but it still has a ways to go before getting to where DEN is.

I wish there was a law that banned companies from making misleading announcements. But I guess its always "read the fine print" instead.

Skip17

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:18 am

Hmmm...explain your reasoning. They have flights to SAN on DL already as well as some other S. Cal destinations served also by WN and UA... so I'm not quite sure it would work. Also, Carlsbad already has HP and UA service. I would think thats all there are yields for. Just my two cents. Great news for SLC; I always enjoy the relaxed feel when connecting there.

Cheers

ASFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:23 am

Malpensa,

I am more inclined to believe that you just pulled all of those cities out of your hat. Olympia, WA is not going to see service anytime soon, nor is Concord, CA or Crescent City, CA. You're making this stuff up.

HPRamper

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 19):
think some folks from Las Cruces will take exception to that!

Unfortunately, LRU is just a little bit too close to ELP and suffers because of it, much like COS to DEN. But to a much greater extent.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 32):
Or even PHX? WN gives HP quite the run for the money at PHX...

As of today, PHX has 188 WN arrivals while HP has 200 even. So it's fairly close, until one realizes that HP is now part of US Airways, which adds another 9 flights, and that Mesa flies under the America West brand, with another 102. So as far as the average joe passenger is concerned, Southwest has 188 flights into PHX today and US Airways has 311. US Airways also has Southwest beat every which way in the "destinations served" category.

Chugach

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 23):
Aw, but it's still SLC - very pretty, but I'd rather do business and vacation in every other one of the examples listed above. Sorry, I think Utah is a beautiful state, but as far as western hubs and destinations go, SLC is no DEN, PHX, LAS, LAX, SFO, or SEA. Saying it over and over doesn't make it so

I don't think anybody is mistaking Salt Lake for Vegas. I for one am happy that DL has successfully built up SLC.

Salt Lake City metro area is about 2 million. In terms of population in the greater metro area, I believe it's about on par with Las Vegas. Not the biggest city in the west by any stretch, but nothing to sneeze at either.

Garri767

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:16 am

indeed malpensa, although you practically had me on extasy with AMA being listed id like to know your source. and just for the record, if it is made up , does anyone think AMA getting DLC is likely? :-|
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

SLCUT2777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 45):
Unfortunately, LRU is just a little bit too close to ELP and suffers because of it, much like COS to DEN. But to a much greater extent.

Kind of like PVU is to SLC. COS has established itself as the greater Front Range's second airport though, and I suspect one day PVU will be that to the Wasatch Front.

Quoting Chugach (Reply 46):
Salt Lake City metro area is about 2 million. In terms of population in the greater metro area, I believe it's about on par with Las Vegas. Not the biggest city in the west by any stretch, but nothing to sneeze at either.

By the next census, Nevada WILL exceed Utah in population and Las Vegas (greater Clark County) will be bigger than the Wasatch Front. Nevada will go to 5 congressional districts, Utah will only get the 4th one they should have received in 2002 but went to NC.

People in Utah want to remain rural and small in their thoughts (even though that is far from the truth) and any city over 20,000 becomes too big in their minds. I call it the "Idaho Syndrome." When you talk about population of a market, you need to use the data of the Metropolitan Statistical Area. In the past SLC has included both greater Ogden and greater Provo and those would be considered part of the Wasatch Front in a Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA) Something that has been discussed on many threads in this forum. City population won't cut it, Salt Lake County has 1 million people and it does become 2 million if you include the MSA and CMSA cities and counties.

Quoting Style (Reply 42):
As for the SLC thing, yes they have grown and made SLC an established hub but it still has a ways to go before getting to where DEN is.

There are many people (myself included at one time) who felt DL should have moved the hub to Denver when DIA was completed. Something that airport was designed for. Actually Western's decision to hub out of SLC instead of old Stapleton Field back in 1981 was a contributor to the DIA planning process that started about that time.

thegooddoctor

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Chugach (Reply 46):

Hmmm... Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Diego all have populations that are 3-10 times that of the entire area around Salt Lake City (and including Provo is getting very very generous...)

Denver, Las Vegas, San Fransisco and Seattle all at least come close to doubling the size of SLC.

Achoo?
The GoodDoctor

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos