Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

billreid
Topic Author

SRQ Gets Another, Who's Next?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 am

SRQ announced AC today. They have added so far this year B6, AC, More on FL, Additional CO, year round NW. So who's next?

AA
UA
Who?
What cities?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

SJUSXM

RE: SRQ Gets Another, Who's Next?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:37 pm

American Eagle used to serve MIA with some ATR's a few times a day.
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

MAH4546

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:55 pm

AmericanConnection flew SRQ-STL last winter, but it has been discontinued. If AA comes back, it would be with ATRs to MIA again, as ATRs are just about the only thing they have that aren't highly utilized.
a.

FCYTravis

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Did you forget that SRQ also landed a coveted slot exemption on US/USX for daily non-stop SRQ-DCA service?  Smile
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

CMHSRQ

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 pm

Quoting BillReid (Thread starter):
SRQ announced AC today. They have added so far this year B6, AC, More on FL, Additional CO, year round NW. So who's next?

AA
UA
Who?
What cities?

Whats the additional on CO? Last year COA flew to EWR and TPA 3x daily, CLE and IAH daily. Are they adding more then that?

FL also had flights to BOS and LGA, Those won't be returning, however no reduction in seats to SRQ with 9 flights a day to 5 destinations.

NW is returning year round?

What I can't believe is AA or UA can't make a daily to ORD work.

I hear CanJet will be adding more flights then last year as well.
The voice of moderation

HPRamper

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:00 am

US Airways DCA-SRQ starts today, in fact.

US Airways Commences First-Ever Service Between Washington, D.C. and Sarasota/Bradenton, Fla.
TEMPE, Ariz., Aug. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC) commences service today between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) and Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport (SRQ). The inaugural flight will depart DCA at 10:00 a.m. and arrive at SRQ at 12:20 p.m. The service will be operated by US Airways Express carrier Republic Airways utilizing the 72-seat Embraer 170.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO )

US Airways Senior Vice President, Public Affairs C.A. Howlett said, "Today, west-central Florida has a great new air travel option into our Nation's Capital. Again, we are grateful for the support this service received from both communities."

Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport President and Chief Executive Officer Fredrick J. Piccolo added, "We are very pleased with our growing partnership with US Airways and look forward to their continued success at SRQ."

The service will operate every day and is the only non-stop pairing between Reagan and Sarasota/Bradenton. Flight specifics are listed below:

Sarasota/Bradenton, Fla. to Washington, D.C.
Flight # Departs Arrives Aircraft
3472 12:55 p.m. 3:20 p.m. Embraer 170*

Washington, D.C. to Sarasota/Bradenton, Fla.
Flight # Departs Arrives Aircraft
3365 10:00 a.m. 12:20 p.m. Embraer 170*

*Saturday service from Aug. 15 through Sept. 6 operated by Chautauqua Airlines with 50-seat ERJ-145 aircraft.

CMHSRQ

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 5):

What were the loads??

It also looks like NWA does stay at SRQ year round in 2007. I found flights bookable 12 months out. I wonder if FL will keep SRQ-DTW seasonally?
The voice of moderation

HPRamper

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:05 am

Using our ETC, today's flights aren't even showing up. Tomorrow loads are only around 50% including nonrevs. As I expected, inaugural flights are rarely very full. I'd give it at least a week or two until loads are typical.

kaitak

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:32 am

I'm really pleased to see SRQ developing. Does CO still fly there from EWR? I flew from LGW to EWR and met friends flying in from Shannon, then flew to TPA. We were staying on Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach, so being able to fly to SRQ would have been far more convenient for us.

Maybe next year. I know DL flies the route, but their flights from SNN-ATL were booked up way in advance!

CMHSRQ

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 8):
I'm really pleased to see SRQ developing. Does CO still fly there from EWR? I flew from LGW to EWR and met friends flying in from Shannon, then flew to TPA. We were staying on Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach, so being able to fly to SRQ would have been far more convenient for us.

COA has never left, daily to EWR in the summer 3X a day in the winter. You could also connect through TPA and fly on a C402

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 7):
Using our ETC, today's flights aren't even showing up. Tomorrow loads are only around 50% including nonrevs. As I expected, inaugural flights are rarely very full. I'd give it at least a week or two until loads are typical

I figured they would be a bit low. Late Aug and Sept are the slowest months for SW Florida traffic.
The voice of moderation

billreid
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 4):
Whats the additional on CO? Last year COA flew to EWR and TPA 3x daily, CLE and IAH daily. Are they adding more then that?

CO added a third B737 to EWR. This was most likely a strategic response to EWR-TPA. But it was an addition.
CO will however be dropping CLE-SRQ this winter. The word is with the loss of RJ's they don't have the ability to fly this.

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 6):
I wonder if FL will keep SRQ-DTW seasonally?

This is tricky. If NW flies year round, can FL also?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

727LOVER

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:10 am

I'm not covinced NW will be here year round. I'll believe it when I see it.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

CMHSRQ

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 11):
I'm not covinced NW will be here year round. I'll believe it when I see it.

Flights are bookable on NWA.com for next summer, but these can be easily dropped. I'm thinking it has something to do with the labor union. NWA can now contract out ramp and ticketing services. I did pushback for NWA in the 90's (as a contractor) and the ramp guys were some of the most senior in the system. That just might make the difference.

FL has stated they would like to keep IND and DTW year round but fuel prices just don't allow it.
The voice of moderation

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 12):
FL has stated they would like to keep IND and DTW year round but fuel prices just don't allow it.

Never mind it would be very difficult to fill a 717 between Sarasota and either of those cities in the middle of the summer.
a.

727LOVER

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
Never mind it would be very difficult to fill a 717 between Sarasota and either of those cities in the middle of the summer.

Maybe, but ATA had SRQ-IND during the summer for many years. Granted, not daily.

But anyway, check this out:

From my SRQ spy:

1. Rumour: Air Transat will return. Just a rumour.

2. American Connection to come back. (I'll believe it when I see it.)

3. HERE'S THE BIG ONE.

He/she has told me I can report this and apparently most of the higher-ups at SRQ know this:

There is a gentlemen's agreement between Piccolo and B6, that infers that to get B6, SRQ will not have any type of negotiations with WN. Not that SRQ was on WN's radar anyway, but still interesting. I wonder if that goes on at other airports.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 14):

2. American Connection to come back. (I'll believe it when I see it.)

Not happening, I will tell you that right now. Of course, never say never, but AA has officially canceled STL-SRQ, so if it does return I would be shocked.
a.

FutureFO

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:27 pm

Removd from the flight schedule is one thing, which is what AA did. It has not completely been pulled.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

MAH4546

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 16):
Removd from the flight schedule is one thing, which is what AA did. It has not completely been pulled.

E-mail AA customer relations about the flight. You will get this response:

We understand your disappointment about the permanent discontinuation
of service between SRQ and STL. We have many loyal customers in the Sarasota area and we, too, are disappointed that we've had to take this difficult action. We sincerely regret any inconvenience you may experience as a result.

We have shared your request with the managers of our Capacity Planning
Department. While I cannot promise you that we will add service to and from SRQ in the near future, I can assure you that we will thoroughly consider your point of view. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
a.

FutureFO

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:11 pm

But as always things can change.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

MAH4546

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 18):
But as always things can change.

Of course, they can. Doesn't change the fact American Airlines has discontinued Sarasota.
a.

CMHSRQ

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm

It sucks that AA isn't returning. I have said that SRQ is a 2 steps forward 1 step back airport. This year we have the US DCA slots, then B6 announces service, awesome. Then AA doesn't return, damn. Air Canda and Canjet expands, awesome. COA doesn't offer CLE, damn. NWA returns to year round service, etc etc

Net gain of aprox 400 daily seats, over last year, not bad.

Speaking of year round service. It looks like for the first time in a long time the airport with have 6 year round carriers.

DL
FL
US
CO
B6
NW

Also for the winter Air Canada and Canjet will offer daily flights, and if AirTransat returns then who knows.

Anyone know what gates AC, B6, NW and Canjet will be using?
The voice of moderation

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos