MAH4546
Topic Author

Icelandair Suspends MSP Again; BWI Too

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:04 am

Icelandair will suspend service to Minneapolis again this winter. The suspension will be effective 10 January through 15 March.

More surprisingly, however, is that Baltimore will also be suspended between 9 January and 8 March.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/phtu020.html?.v=65
a.

BigGSFO

RE: Icelandair Suspends MSP Again; BWI Too

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:19 am

The PR doesn't say anything about the resumption of KEF-SFO in the spring. Is that flight being axed altogether?

LAXintl

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:39 am

Could be timed help give the small B757 fleet some down time for the winglet retrofit plus potentially some required heavy checks.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

BH

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:48 am

About 4 or 5 years ago they did that at BWI and they said it was due to the low pax count in the winter.Not sure what it could be now.Then they use to go 4 days a week in the winter instead of the normal seven.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 768 File size: 194kb

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
More surprisingly, however, is that Baltimore will also be suspended between 9 January and 8 March.

Probably because of the incoming Air Greenland.

Has JFK ever been suspended?
No Vueling No Party

skyyblue

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:52 am

When did Icelandair make the switch to Sanford? I remember seeing a 757 at a gate in MCO not far back. Anyone have any insight about the switch from the major MCO airport to the smaller Orlando/Sanford?

LAXintl

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 4):

Yes for a couple years actually. Passenger service was dropped and did not come back to either late 2004, or early 2005. However a daily/near daily cargo flight continued during the suspension.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ytib

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 5):
When did Icelandair make the switch to Sanford? I remember seeing a 757 at a gate in MCO not far back. Anyone have any insight about the switch from the major MCO airport to the smaller Orlando/Sanford?

March 26th this year they transferred to Sanford. Cheaper costs, and since they don't have too much connecting traffic were the main reasons.
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

yow

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:05 am

Probably because of the incoming Air Greenland.

Why would service to SFJ have anyting to do with service to KEF?

MSPCRJ200

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:13 am

Most vacation traffic from MSP in the winter months is south (anyone ever been here in February?). I can understand the economics behind the suspension for the winter and IceAir appears to be one smart bunch of people. Great aircraft & service and a nice alternative to "Rusty, the cardboard seat DC10" to Europe from here. It will be great to see the 787 in their colors.

PVD757

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:22 am

SFB gave them a large incentive package on top of much lower operating costs from what I heard...

northernlights

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:17 am

Here is more info regarding FI's winterschedule, I just thought that this press release might clarify more...

Source: Icelandair press release

In its winter schedule Icelandair places an increased emphasis on flights to Europe, at the same time there’s slight reduction in flights to the United States. Flights will be operated to Manchester throughout the winter. More flights are scheduled to Copenhagen, St Petersburg Russia and Salzburg in Austria. Overall there schedule offers a similar number of flights as last winter.

Manchester was a new destination for Icelandair this spring and it will remain in the network of destinations during the winter. Manchester and its neighborhood city Liverpool are great destinations, not just for football fans. The cities offer a great variety of shops, some of the best restaurants in the UK and world class entertainment. It’s not a co-incidence that this area is known as the heart of the UK rock scene. This winter there will be flights twice a week to Manchester on Friday and Monday.

Due to the, higher than expected, interest in Berlin more flights have been added to the German capital. Flights will now continue to Berlin until the end of October. Berlin is fast becoming the cultural capital of Europe. With a large number of artists, great restaurants and fantastic shopping, Berlin is a great fall destination. There will be two flights per week to Berlin on Thursday and Sunday until the end of October. Another great European city, St Petersburg in Russia, will be on offer for Icelandair customers this fall. St Petersburg will be served with a weekly flight throughout September and October.

At the end of January 2007 the ski flights to Salzburg, Austria, start. The flights will continue until 3. March 2007. Salzburg is a great destination for ski enthusiasts with easy access to all of the best Austrian ski areas of Obertauern , Zauchensee, Gastein, Kitzbuhel, Flachau, Schladming, Saalbach og Zell-am-See.See.

While there are new European destinations in the fall and winter, there’s a slight reduction in service to the United States during the slowest winter months. This means that during the period when there’s the least demand for flights to the United States, we temporarily suspend service to Baltimore (from January 9 to March 8) and Minneapolis-St Pauls (from January 10 to March 15).

Icelandair operates direct scheduled flights this winter to 14 destinations in Europe and the United States. These destinations are Amsterdam, Baltimore/Washington, Boston, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Glasgow, London, Manchester, Minneapolis-St Paul, New York, Orlando, Oslo, Paris, Salzburg and Stockholm.

“The new Icelandair fall and winter schedule reflects the operational flexibility we have gained. The changes reflect the fact that we are commited to serving the Icelandic tourist market, as well as, tourists traveling to Iceland. While at the same time it shows we have a clear emphasis on maintaining a profitable operation for our owners” said Jon Karl Olafsson, CEO Icelandair.

Conclusion
What I find strange here, is that FI uses 1 weekly flight to LED and 1 other weekly flight during the winterperiod to SZG as an excuse to have a complete winterstop to MSP and BWI (daily rotations I think). LED and SZG are of no interest for US traffic to these destinations and vice versa, nor do people from SZG and LED wish to travel to Iceland in winter. But these destinations might be popular for the (small group of) Icelandic holidaymakers. So my only explanation is that FI has maybe leased 2 aircraft during the winterperiod out to an operator/airline somewhere in the world. The resaon the CEO gave for scrapping BWI/MSP does not make sense IMHO.

RL757PVD

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:29 am

Seems like Icelandair is begining to suffer from increased translantic competition. When there were less flights, fares were higher and Icelandair provided a low-fare alternative with a connection. With 1,000's more non stop seats across the pond resulting in a downward pressure on fares, perhaps Icelandair is starting to feel the pinch.

Perhaps Icelandair should consider large secondary airports with less competition.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

af773atmsp

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:02 am

I hope Icelandair will still fly to MSP. I want to plan a vacation to Iceland without any stops.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

copaair737

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:09 am

How is the seasonal KEF-SFO flight doing? I assume it is doing well, considering they brought it back for a second year. It's always nice to see the 757 of Icelandair there.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

njdevilsin03

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:10 am

How long did the FLL-Iceland service run? Were the loads strong? And any chance of seeing it reinstated?
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

Jetset25j

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 2):
Could be timed help give the small B757 fleet some down time for the winglet retrofit plus potentially some required heavy checks.

From what I saw on the ground at KEF it seems by far most (all from what I saw bar the 753 obviously) of the 752's have already been fitted with winglets.

I flew this route less than 2 weeks ago, it was absolutely packed in both directions which suprises me that it was once suspended!

This decision makes sense as there is next to no business traffic on these flights with the vast majority of the 1.2 million people to pass through KEF annauly (Iceland only has a population of 350,000!) are just changing FI flights to europe on leisure or v/v. Mostly north american (By far) and scandinavian tourists going one way or the other who are less likely to want to do their sightseeing in the winter. Also, Iceland as a tourist destination almost disappears off the tourist trail alltogether in the winter months which may make travellers think twice about chosing FI in the winter..
Air New Zealand-Airline of the world's greatest travellers.

ORDTerminal1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 am

PLLLEEEAAAASSSEEE ICELANDAIR COME TO ORD!

I know they used to fly here, why'd they quit?

I would love to see Icelandair join Star by the way.
717, 727, 732,733, 734, 735, 738, 742, 744, 752, 763, 319, 320, 340, F100

MSPCRJ200

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:16 am

Quoting ORDTerminal1 (Reply 17):
PLLLEEEAAAASSSEEE ICELANDAIR COME TO ORD!

I know they used to fly here, why'd they quit?

I would love to see Icelandair join Star by the way.

ORD is probably out of the question for Iceair due to the cost of the landing fees and the heavy competetion. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's what comes to mind first. As far as joining Star, doubtfull as there is no purpose for it from Star's perspective. Great airline though.

access-air

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Well IcelandAir could go to Milwaukee.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

jacobin777

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting MSPCRJ200 (Reply 18):
ORD is probably out of the question for Iceair due to the cost of the landing fees and the heavy competetion. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's what comes to mind first. As far as joining Star, doubtfull as there is no purpose for it from Star's perspective. Great airline though.

Where is the heavy competition coming from ? Like the other routes most would be O&D I presume....

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 19):
Well IcelandAir could go to Milwaukee.....

I think that would be worse......most pax probably dont' want to travel 60-70 miles by coach or whatever after flying a flying 2600nm
"Up the Irons!"

Cadet57

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:45 pm

How are they doing in Boston, I've heard that they brought in the 767 sometimes over the winter....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

MSPCRJ200

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 20):
Quoting MSPCRJ200 (Reply 18):

Where is the heavy competition coming from ? Like the other routes most would be O&D I presume....

Chicago has a lot more Trans-Atlantic choices than MSP, BWI and SFB. JFK is a mega-city so there is never a shortage of travellers. BOS is a large market as well. While Chicago is a large market, it does not compare to the east coast also considering the travelling patterns of people in the midwest to people in the east. Anyway, this can get to be a long discussion. I think Ice Air folks know what they're doing and have selected specific markets for good reasons. SFO has its own agenda. Good luck to them.

MattMSP767

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Icelandair is my favorite airline to see flying into MSP. They are so pretty! I'm going to miss them when they are gone - just hopefully they come back  Sad

LH423

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 21):
How are they doing in Boston, I've heard that they brought in the 767 sometimes over the winter....

Not over the Winter, but during the Summer FI brings in the 767 on the days it's not flying to SFO. From what I've heard it's been stated that BOS is their most profitable US market. I'm not sure if that's just a rumour or if there's truth in that but FI have built a loyal following in New England and Eastern Canada (the maritime provinces particularly) amongst travellers to Scandinavia and the UK. And their Iceland stopovers are very popular as well. Also, their cargo operation (I believe the main reason the 767 comes in the Summer) carries the operation when the passenger levels dip over the winter.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

positiverate

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):

Wow, that is surprising. I have flown Icelandair for long weekends to Iceland from BWI the past two President's Day weekends, and the flights have always been jam packed.

jacobin777

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting MSPCRJ200 (Reply 22):
Chicago has a lot more Trans-Atlantic choices than MSP, BWI and SFB. JFK is a mega-city so there is never a shortage of travellers. BOS is a large market as well. While Chicago is a large market, it does not compare to the east coast also considering the travelling patterns of people in the midwest to people in the east. Anyway, this can get to be a long discussion. I think Ice Air folks know what they're doing and have selected specific markets for good reasons. SFO has its own agenda. Good luck to them.

But who wants to make a connection to JFK or backtrack from LHR when one could fly nonstop out of ORD..and once again, who would want to commute to Chicago... from MKE? Basically no one..... most people from Highland Park, Lake Forest, Wilmette, etc. probably wouldn't......and certainly no one from Lincoln Park, etc. would want to commute to MKE....
"Up the Irons!"

northernlights

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting Jetset25j (Reply 16):
This decision makes sense as there is next to no business traffic on these flights with the vast majority of the 1.2 million people to pass through KEF annauly (Iceland only has a population of 350,000!)

Jetset25j, I have to correct you on the last part of this sentence regarding Iceland´s population... We just welcomed the 300.000th inhabitant of the country this year!!!  yes 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos