Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

r311music
Topic Author

B6 Job?'s

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:47 pm

Right now I'm with Southwest as a Ramp agent at BDL. Overall I'm happy with the company, but not with my location. Boston is where I really want to live. I have a cheap place to stay down on the south shore with some friends.

As we all know, WN does not and will never serve BOS. PVD is the closest WN airport to my friend's place, but it's about 1 1/2 hours away. A little too long of a commute for me. I also enjoy working at larger stations, like BOS. I spent 6 months in BWI with WN and enjoyed it, but I wasn't a big fan of Baltimore.

So I have been thinking of switching airlines. I'm quite interested in B6 as I have heard quite a few good things about them. How are they as an employer? It's a part time job, but how long does it usually take to get full time hours? What is the starting pay? Top out? How is the employee moral?

Rob
confusing use of time

mcofreak

RE: B6 Job?'s

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:43 pm

I worked for Jetblue at MCO which is relatively Busy for them and switched to Southwest. My advice would be to stay at Southwest. There have been alot of changes at Jetblue lately and from talking to there employees I see they are not happy. On another note the benefits at Southwest are wonderful. If you go full-time at Jetblue look at spending about 17 dollars a week on insurance plus the 401k is not that great compared to what you have at Southwest. Jetblue is a great company but compared to the reliabilty and future you have at Southwest I would stay where you are at.

fdex727

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:40 pm

I would stay at WN an commute, I commuted from Maldin, MA to PVD while with UA for about a year. If nothing else try MHT and use the commuter train!

jetblueatjfk

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:52 pm

Well I wouldn't rule out B6 about them not being around because they will be for a while. Though I can't work yet, B6 and WN are the best two to work for and if you want to go to BOS, so what WN might be a little more inviting but you want to be in BOS so go with an airline in BOS. There is no point in commuting to MHT or PVD from Boston.

Choose jetBlue.

B6jfk airplane 

AUSBlue

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:51 pm

3 1/2+ years with the company and I am happy. Of course, no job is perfect. But, you make the most of what you have and go with it. B6 is in transition and I am VERY excited for the coming 6-12 months. There is going to be some new station openings in which I think will be beneficial to the company.

They seem to always be hiring in BOS, due to the increasing flights. You would not necessarily start as a PT crewmember from the get go. Starting pay is the highest in the system in BOS, which is around to $11/hr I believe. That's based on the higher cost of living in BOS.

Obviously your profit sharing check with WN would be higher. However, there are still a lot of us who have a lot of fun. Those who are not having "fun" I have found are the ones who look at being at B6 as a job, rather than a career. Like I said, you make what you want to make out of your job. Plus, with the additions of flights out of BOS and new stations in the system, there is still lots of room to move up if that is ultimately what you are looking for.
Love da' Blue!

modesto2

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 pm

I interned with JetBlue in the summer of 2004 and had a great experience. The company treats its employees very well and the overall corporate atmosphere is great. Many of the employees are younger with lots of energy, enthusiasm and fresh ideas. This makes for an exciting and vibrant work environment. However, they have been having some financial difficulty, so I don't know if/how that has affected company morale. From my experience, they were great and would love to work for them again.

ScottB

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting R311music (Thread starter):
PVD is the closest WN airport to my friend's place, but it's about 1 1/2 hours away. A little too long of a commute for me. I also enjoy working at larger stations, like BOS.

Well, depending on when you're traveling (and from where on the South Shore), getting to BOS from the South Shore on the T could easily take you an hour... You could probably also drive, but I suspect that even the employee parking at BOS can be pricey.

You'd certainly be taking a hit in pay by going from full-time to part-time, and the overall cost of living in the Boston area is somewhat higher than in Hartford.

Quoting Fdex727 (Reply 2):
If nothing else try MHT and use the commuter train!

There is no rail access to MHT (or PVD for that matter, yet).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos